• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 14 Announced (360/PS3/PC, Vita?/PSP?)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shame that the Wii U version, if it even exists, will not be on par with the other ones.

Ah well, it's EA, I don't know what I expected. It's been 7 years since the first HD FIFA and their menus are still a laggy, clunky piece of shit. I think I'd be genuinely excited if the press release started out by saying:

'EA brings revolutionary 'Smooth Team Management Screen' functionality to FIFA 14'

liger05

I’ll play Fifa again when its not an end to end chanceathon and possession actually matters. I want genuine midfield battles and not just counter attack after counter attack.

plufim

Additional platforms will not include WiiU, I'd wager.

No Madden, FIFA or Tiger on WiiU this year. Oh, and no NHL either.

WELP.

I would say the "further platforms to be announced" means the mobile versions, which is probably just Android and iOS.

xandaca

If they do release on Wii U, they'd better sort out the referees. Among the many, many, many problems with (Wii U) FIFA 13, the computer players commit the most insane fouls and get away with it, while if human players so much as nudge an opponent they'll get penalised, even when winning the ball. The last game in the series I player prior to 13 was 07, and the refereeing was significantly better in that.

(The rest of the game, sadly, hasn't changed much at all other than graphically)

EDIT: I like how the FIFA website boasts that now strikers can shoot while 'rushed'. I'm imagining Messi lining up a shot with a defender on his shoulder and freaking out: "DON'T RUSH ME!" Another piece of silliness to add to EA's belief that professional footballers can't change direction at more than five degree angles while running. FIFA's such a terrible game, if only it weren't so damn addictive.

liger05

Additional platforms will not include WiiU, I'd wager.

No Madden, FIFA or Tiger on WiiU this year.

WELP.

I would say the "further platforms to be announced" means the mobile versions, which is probably just Android and iOS.

No Deadspace or Battlefield is one thing but for staple games like Madden, Fifa and Tiger Woods to get no release to me is just something else.

Nobody would ever of thought this would happen.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't know why they wouldn't announce the Wii U and handheld versions along with this press release.

There's a reason publishers aren't talking about next generation versions yet, that being that one of them doesn't officially exist yet (and announcing the PS4 versions prompts awkward "exclusivity" rumours). Whats the reason to not mention Wii U and Vita/3DS versions?

plufim

I know it's treading over old ground, but the lack of those staple games is what I see as the biggest proof of there being more to EAs problem with WiiU than just sales. They gave the Vita much longer with lower sales.

Whats the reason to not mention Wii U and Vita/3DS versions?

Agreed on WiiU, but the portable games would likely have very different feature sets and would be better served with a separate press release.

That said I don't think 3DS or Vita will get a version either. There was no Madden on 3DS last time around, that says all you need to know.

The portable version will probably just be phones.

No Deadspace or Battlefield is one thing but for staple games like Madden, Fifa and Tiger Woods to get no release to me is just something else.

Nobody would ever of thought this would happen.

There is plenty of truth in certain 'rumours'. Specifics might be off, but look at the change of tone in interviews & press between 2011 & 2012. ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, if there is no Wii U version I will probably get the PC version when it will be very cheap. Too bad about the additional touch controls, they are really nice.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't know why they wouldn't announce the Wii U and handheld versions along with this press release.

There's a reason publishers aren't talking about next generation versions yet, that being that one of them doesn't officially exist yet (and announcing the PS4 versions prompts awkward "exclusivity" rumours). Whats the reason to not mention Wii U and Vita/3DS versions?
Versions not sharing the same features described in the PR.

That Ball Physics one looks like a big improvement, but they always do in these tech showcases. If they can improve it, a lot, in the actual game, I'll be half way to jumping back on board

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. They've improved things for shooting. They really need to improve passing physics enormously too.

bjaelke

I reckon there's going to be a separate release for those platforms. FIFA 14 Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut. Optimized for those platforms.

Because they'll likely be rehashes from last year with a new menu.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know it's treading over old ground, but the lack of those staple games is what I see as the biggest proof of there being more to EAs problem with WiiU than just sales. They gave the Vita much longer with lower sales.

Agreed on WiiU, but the portable games would likely have very different feature sets and would be better served with a separate press release.

That said I don't think 3DS or Vita will get a version either. There was no Madden on 3DS last time around, that says all you need to know.

The portable version will probably just be phones.

It has been mentioned before that there's a specific deal between FIFA and EA: EA can't avoid from releasing the game on platforms that have reached a certain share in the market. It's something different from other sport games.

Well, if there is no Wii U version I will probably get the PC version. Too bad about the additional touch controls, they are really nice.

I'll certainly acquire the game on that format. I thought FIFA 13 on Wii U was a shoddy effort, to be honest. Other than the solid potential displayed with the GamePad stuff, it was a decidedly inferior version of FIFA 12. If a Wii U version does crop up, it'll be FIFA 12 with FIFA 14 teams / menus.

Having said that, the issue xandaca mentioned regarding referees is an issue I have with almost every football game in one for or another. The CPU either gets away with murder or hardly every makes the sort of challenge that might result in a foul. Completely kills the single player after a couple of weeks at best.

Calm down.

"Additional platforms will be revealed in the months ahead".
I've got a feeling EA means PS4/720 and not Vita or Wii U ...
This.
It has been mentioned before that there's a specific deal between FIFA and EA: EA can't avoid from releasing the game on platforms that have reached a certain share in the market. It's something different from other sport games.
It depends on how EA defines the market that's being shared, i.e. the Wii U doesn't have enough "Gen 3" marketshare.

Hasney

Because they'll likely be rehashes from last year with a new menu.

Don't forget the glitches brought in by doing a quick port to completely different hardware!

I'm betting direct port of the PC version.

I reckon there's going to be a separate release for those platforms. FIFA 14 Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut. Optimized for those platforms.

Don't know why, but a Directors Cut of FIFA is making me giggle. Like an UNRATED DVD edition or something like that with NEVER BEFORE SEEN CELEBRATIONS such as a player grabbing a cornerflag and attempting to deep throat it.

Takao

Banned
Don't know why, but a Directors Cut of FIFA is making me giggle. Like an UNRATED DVD edition or something like that with NEVER BEFORE SEEN CELEBRATIONS such as a player grabbing a cornerflag and attempting to deep throat it.

This was no glitch:

SVikh.jpg

Mpl90

This.
It depends on how EA defines the market that's being shared, i.e. the Wii U doesn't have enough "Gen 3" marketshare.

This is true too, but this also makes me think the unannounced versions aren't just PS4 and 720, since there's no 3DS/PSP version mentioned and those two suerly respect that criteria.

I expect them to do a quick port to wiiu anyway when sales are getting a bit decent.

I only need one soccer game though, PES @ PS4 launch. Make it happen konami. And make it playable online.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Other than the solid potential displayed with the GamePad stuff, it was a decidedly inferior version of FIFA 12.

That's true. But I don't see any reason for a inferior Wii U version of FIFA 14, if there will be one.

With all these games skiping on Wii U it does not look as a budget issue any more.

xandaca

Having said that, the issue xandaca mentioned regarding referees is an issue I have with almost every football game in one for or another. The CPU either gets away with murder or hardly every makes the sort of challenge that might result in a foul. Completely kills the single player after a couple of weeks at best.

True, but I've played prior versions of FIFA with much better refereeing than FIFA 13 U. Even the offsides are pretty borked at times, you'd imagine those would be fairly simple to get right.

LegoArmo

Career mode menu looks good. Can't really see much else new from the screens, bit pointless. Won't get to see actual gameplay until mid-August.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Did EA ever comment on FIFA 13 Wii U sales? Kind of odd not to reveal the platform during the initial announcement.

This is true too, but this also makes me think the unannounced versions aren't just PS4 and 720, since there's no 3DS/PSP version mentioned and those two suerly respect that criteria.
I don't know, I recall discussion on here about EA being a lot more conservative with regard to platform selection and risk-averse towards non-target platforms. There may be contractual obligations tied into the license, but they may not pertain the handheld market, as from what I understand they were enacted to prevent a Dreamcast situation in the home console market (Alanis irony?).

In any event, I don't think people taking that line to mean a Wii U version should hold their breath. This is one in a series of recent announcements (Madden NFL 25, Battlefield 4, NHL 14 and now FIFA 14) where no Wii U SKU has been announced.

Whats the point of releasing gameplay screenshots of current gen versions with the same kit? It is effectively FIFA 13. Show us next-gen visuals, already

Mpl90

I don't know, I recall discussion on here about EA being a lot more conservative with regard to platform selection and risk-averse towards non-target platforms. There may be contractual obligations tied into the license, but they may not pertain the handheld market, as from what I understand they were enacted to prevent a Dreamcast situation in the home console market (Alanis irony?).

In any event, I don't think people taking that line to mean a Wii U version should hold their breath. This is one in a series of recent announcements (Madden NFL 25, Battlefield 4, NHL 14 and now FIFA 14) where no Wii U SKU has been announced.

Both Madden and NHL PR releases never had the line "additional platforms will be announced later". And we know for sure that Madden is going to be released on next gen platforms too like it has always happened. BF4 PR didn't talk about platforms at all, instead.

Top Bottom