• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

jbug617

Banned
NYT Twitter just broke the news

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/s...on-charges-in-us.html?smid==tw-nytsports&_r=0

ZURICH — Swiss authorities began an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich. The arrests were made at the request of the United States Justice Department, which brought charges in the Eastern District of New York, based in Brooklyn, according to law enforcement officials.

Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment soon against more than 10 officials, not all of whom are in Zurich, three law enforcement officials said. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

The arrests were a startling blow to FIFA, a multibillion-dollar organization that governs the world’s most popular sport but has been plagued by accusations of bribery for decades.

The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though law enforcement officials said he was not charged. An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give him a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.

The case is the most significant yet for United States Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who took office last month. She previously served as the United States attorney in Brooklyn, where she supervised the FIFA investigation.

GorillaJu

Article just coming out from NYT now that 10 FIFA officials (not including Sepp Blatter) have been indicted on corruption charges and will be extradited to the USA.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich. The arrests were made at the request of the United States Justice Department, which brought charges in the Eastern District of New York, based in Brooklyn, according to law enforcement officials.

Full story here:

http://nyti.ms/1etKwQg

Hopefully this actually means something in the end for this scummy cult.

Meier

Interesting, this post opened the AppStore to Gilt Groupe for me. Random.

Well, the one that was posted by Odd did at least.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not sure what excuse I'll use to hate soccer if they actually were to remove the corruption. I'll find something!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When are they gonna arrest Roger Goodell?

Seriously though this insane. Should be fascinating to see how all of this plays out. Should have just gave America the damn WC!

GorillaJu

Interesting, this post opened the AppStore to Gilt Groupe for me. Random.

Well, the one that was posted by Odd did at least.

Sorry dude. Didn't give me anything like that!

Money laundering, racketeering, these are some pretty serious allegations that go beyond the typical and difficult to substantiate accusations of bribery.

Not sure what excuse I'll use to hate soccer if they actually were to remove the corruption. I'll find something!

Even if FIFA is gone, the corruption is never going away. Illegal gambling has itself so deeply rooted into the very essence of the sport it's completely and utterly impossible to root it out.

Though having a world cup that couldn't be bought by a slave nation would be a hell of a nice step forward.

SalvaPot

Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”

I am happy to see byzantine used for the second time.

Well, that was unexpected.
The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though law enforcement officials said he was not charged.
Hopefully this keeps going, but I get the feeling Blatter's not going to take this lying down.

TheXbox

Something tells me it will be a while before anything comes of this. It's a step in the right direction, though.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I for one am shocked at theses corruption chargers. My guess is someone fabricated these baseless accusations or entrapped the FIFA officials. No way this goes anywhere...too much sarcasm?

tumblr_nels64g9mG1s48ibpo1_500.gif

You're welcome, world.

USA USA USA

Saving soccer one indictment at a time.

I'm sure we'll never see another World Cup...
:lol, I wonder how much the Chicago snub spurred this on.

e: my memory is going bad, the Chicago thing was the olympics. The WC snub was for the whole country...

If there's anything connecting Blatter, they'll get it. When these guys get to the US, and the FBI starts pressuring them, one of them will flip on Blatter if they've got anything on him. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blatter flee to a harder place to get extradited from ASAP if he gets worried..

GorillaJu

I for one am shocked at theses corruption chargers. My guess is someone fabricated these baseless accusations or entrapped the FIFA officials. No way this goes anywhere...too much sarcasm?

"I paid fair and square for my votes, it's not like I stole them. I'm sure the U.S. government will see that nothing untoward was happening. They're so quick to assume corruption over a simple business transaction!"

Judderman

drawer by drawer
If there's anything connecting Blatter, they'll get it. When these guys get to the US, and the FBI starts pressuring them, one of them will flip on Blatter if they've got anything on him. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blatter flee to a harder place to get extradited from ASAP if he gets worried..

"FIFA announces relocation of headquarters to Doha."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom