• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

This is insane, and I mean the good kind of insanity that solves ancient maths problems and cures diseases.

My reaction to Fifa over the last 15 years has essentially been that Jesse Pinkman Gif, over and over again. I just cannot understand why they were allowed to do what they did unapposed, again and again. I always wondered what it would take to get people interested in exposing the corruption. I guess selling two World Cups to Russia and Qatar in the most blatant and scummy process ever, followed by all those migrant worker deaths in Qatar finally did it.

Hope they go down, but it doesn't matter if they don't. They'll be defending this for years. This is the scare they need to see that they don't run the fucking world.

Shame for my mate, though. He had an all-expenses paid trip to Zurich this weekend as an FA delegate. Hopefully he can see the bright side of all this.

The Llama

Apparently Switzerland and the US have an extradition treaty that allows for extradition in all criminal cases except tax cases. So hopefully extradition won't be a big problem.

Among them are Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands, a vice president of the executive committee; Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay, who is also an executive committee vice president and until recently was the president of South America’s soccer association; and Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, a former member of the executive committee who has been accused of numerous ethical violations.

Some of the accused.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Even if FIFA is gone, the corruption is never going away. Illegal gambling has itself so deeply rooted into the very essence of the sport it's completely and utterly impossible to root it out.

Though having a world cup that couldn't be bought by a slave nation would be a hell of a nice step forward.

I just read this article recently.

Crime syndicates are attacking the soul of international sports with relentless and brazen attempts at match-fixing and betting fraud, thriving in areas where sports betting is underregulated. However, they can cross over into legal markets online to manipulate games all over the globe. They're taking a toll on the perception of the games, increasing the public's skepticism with each compromised match. Now, the world's integrity monitors are looking to the U.S. to join the fight by legalizing sports betting and teaming with like-minded countries to eliminate gambling corruption in sports.

"Eastern European and Southeast Asian betting fraudsters have driven European soccer into the danger zone," Chris Eaton, a global sports security expert who has worked with INTERPOL and FIFA, said. "The USA very much holds the key to saving international sport from complete loss of credibility."

Guess there might be a lot of extraditions in the near future.

Griss

As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, it was well known just how corrupt Warner was - anyone even remotely involved in the game knew his name and knew what you needed to do to have any dealings with him. Concacaf is and has been rotten to the core.

I'm just sad that Blatter hasn't been gotten, he knew exactly what was going on out here. Warner would buy the Caribbean votes whatever way he could, but I'm sure he was directed as to how they'd be used by someone from Europe. I'm convinced that this is how Blatter stayed in power so long.

zychi

Banned
The Olympics are FAR different. You have to build specialized fields and tracks and such for those sports. Soccer requires grass and seats.

Chicago is a mess whenever there's international friendlies being played at Soldier Field. I can't imagine what would happen if they had the World Cup as one of the spots. I love watching the World Cup, and would love to go to one. But I really don't want it here.

Tubie

Chicago is a mess whenever there's international friendlies being played at Soldier Field. I can't imagine what would happen if they had the World Cup as one of the spots. I love watching the World Cup, and would love to go to one. But I really don't want it here.

Well Chicago was not on the candidate venues list, so you had nothing to worry about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

They had 21 candidate stadiums from which they would cut a few more, all based on which places made more logistical sense.

Noshino

Holy shit, I never thought anyone would ever go against them

Chicago is a mess whenever anything happens, a WC wouldnt be that much different

so the us is going to save soccer?

Well, our politicians and federal law enforcers don't give a shit about the game, but in a good way. There isn't going to be any emotion or love of footy to get in the way. They will just bust these guys because they can.

What's the difference between a friendly and a Bears game?

zychi

Banned
Life sentence for all of them.

If they really are going to be tried in the US, they'll get a slap on the wrist. No one has been brought to justice for the housing market crash, or the fuck up on wall street. Basically all corruption charges.

Just get them out of any power within FIFA please

zychi

Banned
Ba dum tish.

But I mean, infrastructure wise, I can't really see a difference between one major sporting event and another.

More people go I'm guessing. It's just crazy throughout the city, not just around the stadium. Mexico v US a few summers ago was crazy.

Joni

That is some good and surprising news, but I fully except the arrested FIFA members to turn on their innocent members like they have done so often in the past.

Doesn't care about soccer

Saves soccer

As it turns out, it's easy to get shit done when you know the public won't give a shit about it. As has been mentioned, this would be damn near impossible with the NFL. The hero worship alone would make those in power afraid to touch it, and the (hypothetical) corruption would be way closer to home.

giphy.gif

dalin80

Banned
Arrests everyone at the top of the sport but still can't get the name of the sport right. /murica.

Bernie ecclestone next please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom