• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9d24...e-detain-soccer-officials-ahead-fifa-congress

"says the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York is investigating these individuals on suspicion of the acceptance of bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and now."

Damn they have shit since the early 90s!?

https://www.bj.admin.ch/bj/en/home/aktuell/news/2015/2015-27-05.html

"The bribery suspects – representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms – are alleged to have been involved in schemes to make payments to the soccer functionaries – delegates of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) and other functionaries of FIFA sub-organizations – totaling more than USD 100 million"

Yes I know but fact that the USA have powers to arrest and bring to trial people from around the world, even if the only link is a US ISP, then that's ridiculous.

Not really. This isn't new, and we extradite people to other countries as well.

The international law enforcement agencies working together probably think they have the best case in the US, so they chose to prosecute them there.

Dartastic

anigif_enhanced-15122-1403560917-9.gif
FOR REAL THO.

jonno394

Not really. This isn't new, and we extradite people to other countries as well.

The international law enforcement agencies working together probably think they have the best case in the US, so they chose to prosecute them there.

Im in the UK and whenever extradition is discussed regarding USA it pretty much seems to be a one way street. You get who you want but getting someone in return appears to be a lengthier and more obstacle filled process

giga

Im in the UK and whenever extradition is discussed regarding USA it pretty much seems to be a one way street. You get who you want but getting someone in return rarely happens

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...UK-over-crimes-allegedly-committed-in-US.html

A US embassy spokeswoman said: “The US has never refused an extradition request from the UK for any type of crime under this treaty.
“The UK has refused 7 requests from the US. The facts clearly show that the treaty is fair and in no way lopsided.”

Seems that UK has little interest in extraditing US citizens.

CrazyDude

Im in the UK and whenever extradition is discussed regarding USA it pretty much seems to be a one way street. You get who you want but getting someone in return appears to be a lengthier and more obstacle filled process

According to the U.S embassy in the U.K, 38 people have been extradited from the U.S to the U.K.

giga

Are you going to substantiate this with actual data and sources?

jonno394

I'll dig out all the criticism I've read regarding extradition laws and post it one day :thumbsup:

It's mostly just articles in newspapers And personal criticism by MPs etc such as in the article someone posted above.

I'm sorry for not liking the all powerful US legal system as much as I should.

giga

I'll dig out all the criticism I've read regarding extradition laws and post it one day :thumbsup:

It's mostly just articles in newspapers And personal criticism by MPs etc such as in the article someone posted above.

I'm sorry for not liking the all powerful US legal system as much as I should.
The criticism from these politicians seems unfounded, when looking at the fact that the U.S. has never refused an U.K. extradition request.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Stupid question, but can somebody elaborate on this? Were they fixing games?

They were accepting bribes when choosing World Cup hosts, how else could you explain Russia getting it over England and Qatar over the US. By their own standards they picked the worst choices for the next two World Cups. There's other stuff besides that. There was no game fixing, players and coaches would never go along with that.

jonno394

Actually this sums up what I said about lengthier and more obstacle filled process:

A critical test set out in the treaty is that the British request must include "such information as would provide a reasonable basis to believe that the person sought committed the offence for which extradition is requested."
This requirement does not apply to requests submitted by the US to the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16041824

So uk has to provide enough evidence for usa to release but not the other way round. Seems fair.

This is all just the U.S. causing trouble because they didn't get the World Cup! They're just salty about it a-*is arrested and pelted with futbols*

I guess the U.S. will just have to save the beautiful game from itself.

You're welcome, world. No need to thank us. Just being that shining city on the hill.

DarkFlow

Banned

Blame your own government for that fucked up treaty. They agreed to it.

Noshino

Actually this sums up what I said about lengthier and more obstacle filled process:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16041824

So uk has to provide enough evidence for usa to release but not the other way round. Seems fair. Usa can extradite you even without evidence :bravo:

Yet, despite being a lot easier for the US to request extraditions, they've been denied 7 times.

Also, the US does need evidence, just not as much as the UK does

jonno394

That does seem unfair, but despite that, no U.K. extradition request has been refused. In the end, has that technicality really made a difference?

My point was the process is much easier one way than the other, and that substantiates it.

Abounder

Banned
I love the Swiss and the Americans. Hopefully this is one step closer to avenging the deaths from the Qatar catastrophe

DarkFlow

Banned
More likely the US bent the UK government over a barrel. We've tried to change the terms (see article) but of course the us refuse for "reasons"

I doubt that, Tony Blair was super happy to agree to that thing. You can argue he was a US lapdog, but you guys elected his party, and kept doing it long after you agreed to it.

Also I don't really see how it's lopsided anyway, like others have said the US has never denied a request to ship them off to the UK. The only reason the US would have more is because we are 5 times larger you are in population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom