• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

5N8qPwQ.png

I'm happy about this but i wish the DoJ would actually go after people and stuff that actually matters.

I understand the sentiment but the kind of highway robbery FIFA pulls off at every level is not minor. Siphoning resources from smaller countries with entrenched yes men via promises of power very directly influences the politics of North American countries especially in the Caribbean. The world is full of Jack Warners.

WARCOCK

Banned
The World Cup is absolutely something that matters.

Please. I'm a football fan. Fuck all significant has been done to the asshats who almost brought the world economy on its knees 7 years ago. Not to mention all the other BS that's been going on in finance since. Stupid wrist slaps.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes, I know they can actually arrest these people, that is more actual shock to see it actually happening.

I'm happy about this but i wish the DoJ would actually go after people and stuff that actually matters.

The U.S. quite possibly lost out on hosting the 2022 World Cup due to this corruption, and the tourism dollars lost are likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

cameron

Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment soon against more than 10 officials, not all of whom are in Zurich, three law enforcement officials said. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

The more the merrier. Here's hoping the charges stick.

The U.S. quite possibly lost out on hosting the 2022 World Cup due to this corruption, and the tourism dollars lost are likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

And the Qatar infrastructure development has directly led to scores of deaths. Not even incidental deaths. "This project is the reason why people are dead" deaths.

Uhyve

fifa-10-gets-box-art-ffq7o.jpg

Is this tasteless?

Would love to get gambling less intrinsically linked to football aswell. It's gross how much it gets pushed during half time (especially with commentators getting in on the ads).

zychi

Banned

I dont want World Cup anywhere near the US. Brazil ruined many parts of their beautiful surroundings for it, and the amount of terrorize threats and problems out weigh the amount of money they would lose supporting the WC. Let Canada have it for a year. We'll visit.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I dont want World Cup anywhere near the US. Brazil ruined many parts of their beautiful surroundings for it, and the amount of terrorize threats and problems out weigh the amount of money they would lose supporting the WC. Let Canada have it for a year. We'll visit.

are you kidding? We would maybe build one stadium for it, and just use NFL Stadiums for the most part if not all

USA is perfect for it, besides the distance between the sites (see Brazil)

zychi

Banned
fifa-10-gets-box-art-ffq7o.jpg

This too tasteless?

Would love to get gambling less intrinsically linked to football aswell. It's gross how much it gets pushed during half time (especially with commentators getting in on the ads).

You've never watched an american sport have you? Soccer/futbol has the least amount of ads besides the jerseys being branded. It's quite awesome to watch an entire half of sport without cutting to commercial every 5-10 minutes.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

are you joking? The US already has all the stadiums and infrastructure necessary for hosting it.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

I don't want to derail, but what beautiful surroundings are we going to ruin? We already have everything to host one right now.

I think this is what has needed to happen for a while. FIFA has a power complex that believes they are above all international law. I wish another country initiated the extradition because to the majority of soccer/futbol casuals who are unaware of the corruption will just see it as the USA trying to take away their favorite game. I hope I'm wrong and the world realizes the crimes FIFA is directly responsible for, and that someone needed to take action against them. So many innocent lives have unnecessarily been lost for the "beautiful game". No game is worth the lives of innocent people

zychi

Banned
I think this is what needs to happen. I wish another country initiated the extradition because to the majority of soccer/futbol casuals who are unaware of the corruption will just see it as the USA trying to take away their favorite game. I hope I'm wrong and the world realizes the crimes FIFA is directly responsible for, and that someone needed to take action against them. So many innocent lives have unnecessarily been lost for the "beautiful game". No game is worth the lives of innocent people

i don't understand why they're bringing them back to the US? Wouldn't Switzerland make more sense since thats where the HQ is? Do these people claim the US as their home? Corporations based out of the US going after them?

I really don't understand this move, we don't even go after our own corrupt people in our gov't or sports.

Uhyve

You've never watched an american sport have you? Soccer/futbol has the least amount of ads besides the jerseys being branded. It's quite awesome to watch an entire half of sport without cutting to commercial every 5-10 minutes.
While you are correct, that doesn't make it any less gross. I don't want to be one of those people, but kids really do look up to commentators. Without sounding like I come from a traditional Irish catholic family, I believe that these commentators are evil sinners leading the good astray... or ya know, just bad people who don't care about causing gambling addictions or whatever.

Aw yis, like a fresh sea breeze in the morning. Though seeing as how Polanski was never extradited to US, this may as well lead to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom