• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Yet, despite being a lot easier for the US to request extraditions, they've been denied 7 times.

Also, the US does need evidence, just not as much as the UK does

Probably because there was enough doubt. Maybe if the us provided enough evidence like uk has to then they'd have been extradited, but again, they won't because of "reasons"

Kuros

Hopefully the evidence is so strong they can offer deals so that someone will have roll on Blatter and the whole house of cards will come falling down.

I think Blatter should just pull the classic move of grabbing a pistol and jamming it under his chin. All the big timers do it once the parade is over.

Azuran

Banned
Oh man, can you guys imagine seeing Sepp Blatter in handcuffs in the future? It would lead to 2003 flashbacks of Saddam.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes!

If the US government can bring down the 2022 world cup and possibly Russia then the world will consider a referendum on whether it is officially "Football" or "Soccer.

My point was the process is much easier one way than the other, and that substantiates it.

Your point was based on misinformation, man. Just own up instead of digging yourself deeper. Yeah, the treaty could potentially be scary, but stats show it frankly isn't.

On Topic: Good. FIFA's horrifying and I'm really hoping this does something, even at the cost of the US not getting another Cup.

'MERICA be like: " FIFA, a package came in the mail today."

FIFA: "What package?" '

MERICA: "DEEZ CUFFS, GOT EEM!"

tumblr_nn1d0uugH41t06ubmo1_400.gif

Vagabundo

Fifa is fucked, hopefully.

FBI will offer deals for people flipping. Watch the rest scurry to non extradiction countries with their millions.

Now is the time for the football associations to strike.Start a new organisation.

jonno394

Your point was based on misinformation, man. Just own up instead of digging yourself deeper. Yeah, the treaty could potentially be scary, but stats show it frankly isn't.

On Topic: Good. FIFA's horrifying and I'm really hoping this does something, even at the cost of the US not getting another Cup.

No my point is accurate. Uk has to jump through more hoops than the us to get what they want, but yes I started this conversation without knowing enough and have been educated somewhat so I'll drop it.

Salsa

ffs it's finally happening

I'll remain unoptimistic tho

save the most beautiful sport in the world from this filth

Sorry, but why are they bringing them to the US?

The FBI conducted a sizable chunk of the investigation (as far as we know), and they've obviously got a good case here (or they wouldn't be bringing them over) due to the fact that FIFA used NYC banks to move around dirty money. Reading the thread would've told you this, though.

Piecake

Why should you have an easier process? Oh I forgot, America likes to think it rules the world.

It honestly sounds like you are just butt-hurt that Britain made a stupid decision with that treaty and are blaming it all on America. Those Americans used their nefarious influence and power and forced us poor brits to sign a bad treaty! Poor us!

I'd change my opinion if you had some evidence that we bent you guys over and forced you to spread your cheeks, but come on, unsubstantiated theories only convince those who want to believe it. And why the hell should America voluntarily reform the treaty and make it more difficult to extradite suspected criminals from Britain? That certainly doesnt sound like it is in America's best interests.

Blame your government for agreeing to an 'unfair' treaty. If you want it scrapped, blow the whole thing up and start over.

More likely the US bent the UK government over a barrel. We've tried to change the terms (see article) but of course the us refuse for "reasons"

The UK isn't entitled to change terms that they already agreed to. The US doesn't NEED any reason to not change an existing agreement.

jonno394

It honestly sounds like you are just butt-hurt that Britain made a stupid decision with that treaty and are blaming it all on America. Those Americans used their nefarious influence and power and forced us poor brits to sign a bad treaty! Poor us!

I'd change my opinion if you had some evidence that we bent you guys over and forced you to spread your cheeks, but come on, unsubstantiated theories only convince those who want to believe it. And why the hell should America voluntarily reform the treaty and make it more difficult to extradite suspected criminals from Britain? That certainly doesnt sound like it is in America's best interests.

Blame your government for agreeing to an 'unfair' treaty. If you want it scrapped, blow the whole thing up and start over.

yes my butt, it hurts *ow*

giga

Sorry, but why are they bringing them to the US?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is the United States, in the name of charity and good will, who shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for Uncle Sam is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And Washington will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is Freedom when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ISOM

What a weird thread to air grievances on extradition treaties. Who doesn't want FIFA officials arrested on corruption?!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9d24...e-detain-soccer-officials-ahead-fifa-congress

"says the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York is investigating these individuals on suspicion of the acceptance of bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and now."

Damn they have shit since the early 90s!?

https://www.bj.admin.ch/bj/en/home/aktuell/news/2015/2015-27-05.html

"The bribery suspects – representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms – are alleged to have been involved in schemes to make payments to the soccer functionaries – delegates of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) and other functionaries of FIFA sub-organizations – totaling more than USD 100 million"

This is something the rest of the world should know. The feds don't arrest you unless they know they can convict you and usually they want you to snitch on a bigger fish to make it even easier to convict them.

The only chance those FIFA guys had was not to be extradited and take their chances in Europe.

kingkitty

I hope my CONCACAF brothers will support this act of love by the United States of America.

Thank you Barack Obama.

Thank you Michael Bradley.

jonno394

Everyone has been waiting for this day to come and all we get are American bashers. You never can make people happy.

To be fair, this news is breaking pretty late at night in the states. Most of the East coast is asleep.

It's when those European bastards strike.

We know when you're at your weakest.

In all fairness I am happy that something is being done, hopefully 2022 goes back to being a summer world cup away from qatar now.

*crosses fingers*

Piggus

To be fair, this news is breaking pretty late at night in the states. Most of the East coast is asleep.

It's when those European bastards strike.

I'm not really sure how anyone could see this as a negative, especially those who love soccer/futbol. The US is in the process of doing something that should have happened ages ago, whether people like it or not (for whatever dumb nationalistic reason.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom