• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Sayad

You'd be right.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/881047201694179329

To compare that to 2016.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/751082933276909569

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241500&highlight=evo+2016

Percent difference from 2016 to 2017 for returning games (Used an online calculator, rounded to hundredths place. )

SFV: -64.3% difference
Smash 4: -54.92% difference
Melee: -49.22% difference
Tekken 7: +79.80% difference
Guilty Gear: -9.56% difference
UMvC3: -18.74% difference

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242322853#post242322853

Made a thread on gaming side if anybody wants to comment to see how the general populace takes this news.
Basically, outside SFV and Smash games, everything is fine! Also, SFV is still bigger than SFIV's EVO peak! r/kappa on suicide watch!!

NEO0MJ

Injustice did better than MKX, not bad.

I've got a feeling that Namco will reveal their first DLC character for Tekken 7 at EVO, and it'll be a guest character.

Depending on who it is, it might draw in new players/keep them playing.

Didn't they say that both will be guest characters 🤔

RM8

I haven't played SSB4 for a little over a year since I moved, so I wonder what prompted the lack of interest. My friends who still play tell me the top tiers are way too dominant and basically broke 2v2 beyond repair. It's very sad... SSB4 was actually quite balanced for a while after some post-launch nerfs and before the last batch of DLC. Also a bit sad about SFV, I do think it's a fantastic fighting game that just needs some rather crucial tweaks. To be honest, it's still my favourite fighting game at the moment.

Anyway I'm happy for Tekken! It's truly a superb game (possibly my GOTY), I hope it becomes more popular.

notworksafe

i don't think those evo numbers are cause for alarm. tekken looks great, everything else is a return to normal. here's hoping smash players find yet another reason to moan and complain and boycott so evo can go back to being a fighting game tournament next year.

NEO0MJ

i don't think those evo numbers are cause for alarm. tekken looks great, everything else is a return to normal. here's hoping smash players find yet another reason to moan and complain and boycott so evo can go back to being a fighting game tournament next year.

Maybe then we'll be spared the rotting sewer corpse smell they bring with them 😷

Numb

DDoej5fXsAArxLj.jpg

Dat SFV drop. Didn't expect it to do as good as 2016, but I at least thought it would do 3k.
Look at the FGC getting saved

shaowebb

Just give me hinako

I remember she had a lot of normals that were whif cancellable into specials and command grabs. Was she a big deal at tournies?

EDIT:
Well looky what just showed up in the DBFZ thread. Credit goes to Gasian for this Future Trunks image.
90wUzgo.jpg

.la1n

Works for me. The series is taking up two spots and one of them is such an old 3D game it makes my eyes hurt to watch. Melee and UMvC3 being on that list is ridiculous.

Doomshine

Since people are blaming the drops on the price increase, I guess those numbers are going to further cement the "Tekken players have jobs" thing.

ShinMaruku

All these drops are good because it will reveal a sobering aspect. The fgc ain't esports and trying to accelerate towards it is daft and cynical.

Lulubop

I remember she had a lot of normals that were whif cancellable into specials and command grabs. Was she a big deal at tournies?

EDIT:
Well looky what just showed up in the DBFZ thread. Credit goes to Gasian for this Future Trunks image.
90wUzgo.jpg

You're late as hell with this pic, it's been on the game's Twitter for almost a week

NEO0MJ

The said DLCs are guest characters while returning characters will be free.

I meant mostly regarding the season pass characters.
Though yeah, they did mention that returning characters would be free. Doubt any of them can bring hype, though. Well...maybe Jinpachi can. Jinpachi is cool 😍

I meant mostly regarding the season pass characters.
Though yeah, they did mention that returning characters would be free. Doubt any of them can bring hype, though. Well...maybe Jinpachi can. Jinpachi is cool ��

I'd imagine the people who kept saying "No Lei, no buy" and then bought the game anyway would be happy if he got added in.

Perro

peter0611

Works for me. The series is taking up two spots and one of them is such an old 3D game it makes my eyes hurt to watch. Melee and UMvC3 being on that list is ridiculous.
It's not realistic to expect EVO to drop either game when they still make up a large percentage of their numbers. I do get that Melee is a slog to run with the damn CRTs though.

Now not having both games on Sunday finals makes complete sense to me.

.la1n

It's not realistic to expect EVO to drop either game when they still make up a large percentage of their numbers. I do get that Melee is a slog to run with the damn CRTs though.

Now not having both games on Sunday finals makes complete sense to me.

Has EVO historically kept games for entrant turn out? Seems at odds with this year's line up. where most of the list is games that were guaranteed to have low entrants.

Beckx

Any recommendations on a good PS4 fightpad? Haven't played too many fighting games over recent years, but thinking of getting back into things for Guilty Gear/DBZ.

Hori Fighting Commander. Doesn't have a touchpad but it's very solid.

mitchlol

Hori Fighting Commander. Doesn't have a touchpad but it's very solid.

I second this, but personally I wouldn't get the USA version. I have both JAP and USA version and find that the rotating D-pad on the FC4 doesn't quite lock in place, and after a few matches it needs adjusting.... the Japanese Hori FC is a tad smaller but doesn't have the gimmick D-pad so it never moves. Both are still a good choice for pad and not too expensive.

peter0611

Has EVO historically kept games for entrant turn out? Seems at odds with this year's line up. where most of the list is games that were guaranteed to have low entrants.
I don't know the exact politics of what gets a game into EVO, or how BB gets Sunday finals over GGxrd. There does appear to be a tradition of "thou shalt have 1 mainline SF and Marvel game on Sunday".

But looking at this spreadsheet from SRK, Smash (either game) has consistently been in the top 3 of number of entrants since 2013; it dethroned Marvel starting in 2015. You could make a case that there has to be at least 1 Smash game at EVO too...

So if 1 or both of those games gets shafted by EVO, I'm curious to see what games would fill their vacuum in terms of sheer numbers and presence.
Stinky Smash player joke goes here.

Or maybe EVO just decides to downsize and reduce the number of games it has?

BadWolf

Rumor goin around that we might eventually get Oswald for KOF 14.

FG0tNEj.gif

Oh lord yes please. Dude was so good in KOF 11.

Oswald is one of those rare characters where they just nail everything. It was so sad that he didn't make it into XIII due to time constraints.

I'd love to see Hinako back as well, always felt that she was a great concept that never got done proper justice.

I haven't played SSB4 for a little over a year since I moved, so I wonder what prompted the lack of interest. My friends who still play tell me the top tiers are way too dominant and basically broke 2v2 beyond repair.

Well there's your answer, only scrubs like doubles.

CO_Andy

Behrudy gets reprimanded while Combofriend and Mike Evans get off scott free despite causing way more damage and controversy

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's a who you know not what you know world. I wonder if this was the same tourney what's his name's brother made Fchamp get salty over something that he himself has been doing for years and is known for.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Doubles is actually the only thing SSB has over other fighters. The coordination needed and possible set ups are SSB at its best.

One day, a mainstream FG developer will finally copy Treasure's Guardian Heroes / Bleach style 4+ player and it will be glorious.

People are triggered by Marn commentating. You can tell who is a 017er.

Not sure if you're talking about his 1st day commentary or his top 8 commentary. I'm fine with Marn if he's at least trying like he did during the top 8. But when he first jumped on during the first day all he was doing was just trolling. I don't think that's OK for a major or a CPT tournament like this was. It's fine for locals or salty suites, go ham if you want. But that was a serious tournament and the expectation is and should be different.

The way he commented top 8 though I was fine with. It wasn't very technical or informative. But at least it was an attempt at being semi serious, funny, and his reactions seemed more real than the fake overreactions from Friday night.

Top Bottom