• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

The launch was a completely unacceptable mess. Currently it has issues but nothing breaking except for online, which is ass everywhere.

As for SF5, I think if SF5 numbers are comparable to MKX, Capcom's going to be very disappointed. I think Capcom's aiming to compete with LOL. This is what makes me kinda confident about the game, Capcom's going to have to put effort into the game to make it compete with the esports games.

I really can't see Capcom making SF5 any different to SF4 beyond a bit of a graphical update and somewhat different gameplay.

Compete with LOL? I doubt it has even been brought up. All they will want to do at this stage is compete with bankruptcy.

Mkx will get bigger numbers. It has the violence hook and represents low hanging fruit for all the popular American players who can't compete on am international stage.

If they got anywhere close to these numbers, they would be ecstatic.

Dahbomb

All they will want to do at this stage is compete with bankruptcy.
pz70.png

Zissou

There's nothing to come at you're just wrong. How many people even watch the UFC? How many people can name more than 10 UFC fighters?

It's popular but not anywhere near team sports that's for sure. Last time I check Soccer/Futball still the most popular worldwide. And American football still the most popular in... America.

This. Team sports are bigger than non-team sports by any metric (popularity, money involved, etc.). It's not a statement about whether one is better than the other.

So for those of you are experienced with NRS games I have a question about the frame data they have listed in MKX move list. I'm trying out Takeda stuff in Lasher I see that close Kunai should be +20 hit advantage. which I'm assuming is the frame advantage if the kunai hits the opponent at the earliest frame (I believe that's how projectile frame data is listed on the SF4 wiki too). His square jab should only have 10 frames of startup, I'm trying to see if I can link anything after the close kunai but it doesn't seem to work. So I'm assuming I'm not reading the data right for MKX unless this is another Injustice situation.

So did they already take in account the recovery frames for the hit advantage? That would seem weird because it seems like block advantage already takes in account move recovery (says 16 frames of recovery for close kunai), since block advantage -1 for close kunai. I even tested it with a jump test by recording the dummy doing the kunai, then jumping after blocking it and it really does seem to be close to -1 block advantage. So just wondering, relative to my opponent on hit with the close kunai, how positive am I really?

edit: Trying the jump test with the close kunai on hit seems like he can reach the height of his jump before I leave the ground, so it seems like a decent amount of advantage. I wonder why I can't link after it then.

frame data in nrs games

Frame data does not decide what combos and what doesn't in Mortal Kombat (usually). Almost all combos are hard-coded or otherwise defined by the devs, with the exception of juggles, which have increasing gravity rules.

If move X is +30 (or whatever) and you try to link something but the AI can block it, it isn't because you didn't have enough advantage. It's because in the code there is a clause that says "If hit by move X, the player who was hit can block during the stagger animation". Of course, they still have to block high or low correctly, but they cannot input anything else for those 30~whatever frames.

For an exception to this rule, pick A-list Johnny Cage and do 1-2-1~dash 1-2. In this case, dash cancelling the third attack in the first string and hitting 1 as soon as you come out of the dash combos, even though a new string has started. If you dash cancel or start the next string too slowly, it will not combo. The above mentioned clause is not present for johnny's 121 string in A-list, and that hit advantage is "true" (street fighter-style) hitstun.

Frame data does not decide what combos and what doesn't in Mortal Kombat (usually). Almost all combos are hard-coded or otherwise defined by the devs, with the exception of juggles, which have increasing gravity rules.

If move X is +30 (or whatever) and you try to link something but the AI can block it, it isn't because you didn't have enough advantage. It's because in the code there is a clause that says "If hit by move X, the player who was hit can block during the stagger animation". Of course, they still have to block high or low correctly, but they cannot input anything else for those 30~whatever frames.

For an exception to this rule, pick A-list Johnny Cage and do 1-2-1~dash 1-2. In this case, dash cancelling the third attack in the first string and hitting 1 as soon as you come out of the dash combos, even though a new string has started. This is because the above mentioned clause is not present for johnny's 121 string in A-list.

Ah I see. Well thanks for the info. I guess I have to get used to how their system works since I never really went that deep in NRS games. It seems I just have to experiment to see what works then, especially since it seems some strings and moves don't have that clause as you stated.

It seems I just have to experiment to see what works then, especially since it seems some strings and moves don't have that clause as you stated.

Yes, this is more or less what the Fatal8 players did in the 2 days they had. They tried canceling various parts of strings into specials to see what combos together.

Some other notables:
- all strings are natural combos
- there are no counter-hits
- forward/backwards jumping punch combos into any string or any raw special (input the first hit of the string when the punch connects)
- long stagger animations that give huge frame advantage are still good. Use them to force an opponent to block a jumping punch. If your combo did 25%, it actually does 25%+chip (of course, you could also mix them up when they block the jump punch).

Yes, this is more or less what the Fatal8 players did in the 2 days they had. They tried canceling various parts of strings into specials to see what combos together.

Some other notables:
- all strings are natural combos
- there are no counter-hits
- forward/backwards jumping punch combos into any string or any raw special (input the first hit of the string when the punch connects)
- long stagger animations that give huge frame advantage are still good. Use them to force an opponent to block a jumping punch. If your combo did 25%, it actually does 25%+chip (of course, you could also mix them up when they block the jump punch).

Thanks, I'll definitely experiment with stuff tomorrow.

Most of the banned words were sites with a reputation for false information, so they just ban the word to kill links to them. Also think some image hosting sites like Image Shack got the block because they just filled the forum with frogs.

NEO0MJ

Most of the banned words were sites with a reputation for false information, so they just ban the word to kill links to them. Also think some image hosting sites like Image Shack got the block because they just filled the forum with frogs.

Frogs are cute :3

Anne

Christ, some of these links are difficult. D'Vorah b1 df1 run cancel 11b2 is so stupid fast. I actually negative edge the df1 and buffer in the dash to make sure it's fast enough. This is the first time I've ever had execution issues in an NRS game.

I like run cancel links though. I think D'Vorah's mix up options without it are pretty lame, but the second that became a thing her mix up became really good, assuming you can hit the links. The f22 > run link isn't hard, but fuck the one off b1 is going to have to be grinned out. Is there a way to set infinite stamina so I can just practice these without waiting for it to refill?

pixelish

before i went to bed, i saw chris g just having over 200 viewers and now he has 4.5k viewers. man, everyone's getting a piece of dat mkx cpm.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Christ, some of these links are difficult. D'Vorah b1 df1 run cancel 11b2 is so stupid fast. I actually negative edge the df1 and buffer in the dash to make sure it's fast enough. This is the first time I've ever had execution issues in an NRS game.

I like run cancel links though. I think D'Vorah's mix up options without it are pretty lame, but the second that became a thing her mix up became really good, assuming you can hit the links. The f22 > run link isn't hard, but fuck the one off b1 is going to have to be grinned out. Is there a way to set infinite stamina so I can just practice these without waiting for it to refill?

yDqS2VK.jpg

Tell me everything you know about Dvorah mixups.

Terrifying insect bae, best bae

I think Daigo was doing that pumping to show that he was motivating Momochi to defeat Sako. Basically he was filling up the Momochi bomb.

stn

Any input on the best beginner stick I can get for the 360? I just need something that's responsive and will allow me to pull off almost anything execution-related. Thanks.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I'm really surprised nobody online plays Kung Jin. He gets ridiculously easy damage off the simplest things and doesn't need that much execution in Bojitsu. Probably the only reason I'm able to land combos in that shoddy ass pc netcode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How's the mobile game? I'm waiting for the android version
Slightly more involved and fun than Contest of Champions, still mostly tapping. AI has some stupid shit like telepathically blocking your meter attacks, and blocking doesn't work properly all the time.

Pretty impressive production values. Doesn't seem like you can unlock all the good stuff for the main game quite yet as the multiplayer isn't up.

Horseress

Slightly more involved and fun than Contest of Champions, still mostly tapping. AI has some stupid shit like telepathically blocking your meter attacks, and blocking doesn't work properly all the time.

Every AI has it's own bullshit. SFIV's AI ume-shoryus me all day. It sucks in every other aspect, but the telepathic shoryukens are on point

Pretty impressive production values. Doesn't seem like you can unlock all the good stuff for the main game quite yet as the multiplayer isn't up.

You can't unlock farmer Jax yet? That's fucked up!

alstein

Every AI has it's own bullshit. SFIV's AI ume-shoryus me all day. It sucks in every other aspect, but the telepathic shoryukens are on point

You can't unlock farmer Jax yet? That's fucked up!

FG AI reads your inputs then does moves. Capcom AI is notorious for this, and folks learned how to game that AI and bait those wakeups.

Shouta

MKX's game flow is so strange coming from like every other FG. Gotta get used to it and the combo inputs. Kung Lao has bene kinda fun so far though but definitely gonna check out other chars as well. Tempest's Orbiting Hat kinda sucks though.

ShinMaruku

I love when a game's flow is different from others. It prevents the seep of monogamers. MKX looks interesting but I'm holding off. Outside of lab zero Western Developers never do me right. :p
Which is fine, MK will always have people playing it for the first month then the core players will really get into it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
have you ever taken part in nlbc before?

a couple times, never been for marvel, would have been pretty confident on making it top 8 if it was still happening now since im hitting the hyperbolic time chamber. for SF, i got bodied by poem with his decapre... went 0-2. I'm pretty sure after training with Vulva for a bit more, I'll put a dent in SF cause I find it surprising that people are sweating bullets when they face me even though im really rusty with gief atm, probably tournament nerves. only top player ive faced that has made me get salty is dieminion, dude shuts up every option i have, or it at least looks like that but now i have a better understanding (more like remembered) how to deal with his tactics.

where's that dahbomb signal when you need it...

Uraizen

Banned

This is a thing in MKX? There's strings with enough frame advantage on hit to run cancel and do another string? Holy crap.

Anne

Tell me everything you know about Dvorah mixups.

Terrifying insect bae, best bae

I mean it's really basic. She has f2 which is a 14 frame overhead, but the f224 string gets her nothing(12%) and resets to neutral. Instead you just do stuff like f22 df1 run cancel 212 db1, f34, b12 1+2 and you get like 30%~ and get decent position off the grab. If you don't want the grab you can take the route from db1 to f44, f112 df1 dash cancel and you get 30%~ still and a meatie at the cost of stamina, but you'll rebuild all your stamina in the combo which leaves you enough for another run cancel off a mix up.

That's the easy one. The hard one is comboing off the low. b1 is a 10 frame low, and it's follow up is unsafe on block. To combo off it you have to do b1 df1 run cancel 11b2 > combo. It's so fast you have to do b1 then negative edge the df1, and input the dash cancel in the buffer to make sure it comes out on the first frame, then get the link. The link actually involves you plinking from block(to get the run cancel) to 1, which makes this even more awkward. The way I've been hitting it is I just do b1 then hcf and if you do it fast enough you negative edge it with one button, then hit the button again for the dash cancel.

This is all hard as shit, but it let's her get meterless confirms off the high for 30% plus, and the low gets like 25%. She can also do it off her f11, so if you whiff punish stuff you get about 32% meterless off that. Best part is if they block she's not in a bad spot and can keep things going too.

This is a thing in MKX? There's strings with enough frame advantage on hit to run cancel and do another string? Holy crap.

Kind of. Juicebox's post is right in the fact that some strings are hard coded that you can be + a million on them, but the opponent can still block out of stagger. So you need frame advantage and a string that lets you combo off of the stagger.

Edit: Btw this is all in swarm queen.

Edit 2: ah fuck it blockstring needs more testing. you have to be super picky with moves to mash out.

Top Bottom