• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Chindogg

I don't get why Chindogg does the things he does.

Why don't you just ask me?

Na. The time when turned on slow mode, then threatened stream chat with slow mode for the rest of the day if they went nuts after he turned it off struck me as a pretty shitty way to use his mod power.

Stream chat is always going to flood the gates after slow mode gets turned off, but unless someone makes a big deal out of it, no one's going to care after the first few seconds. There's no need to foist off responsibility by blaming the stream for the punishment he unilaterally decided on.

Slow mode or sub mode?

Slow mode stayed on for a varied amount of time. Sub mode was on based on request by the broadcaster who was tired of ascii art faces and other copypastes.

Stream viewers need to understand that there are people that aren't just stream monsters watching each stream. There are sponsors and casual viewers as well. When chat becomes a cesspool it detracts those groups from wishing to participate in future events. Another thing is that stream monsters seem to think chat belongs to them and that they're entitled to say whatever they wish because "hype." This is actually not true. Many broadcasters have their own rules and unfortunately very few mods actually enforce said rules. That's why I'm mod of so many channels, because I actually do what I'm asked.

I'm not trying to be a massive dick here, although I do enjoy poking the bear from time to time. But there are rules in place that are very simple and its not my fault that the majority cannot handle simple instructions. As long as you're following the rules, there's no problems. However when the issue becomes and epidemic, extreme measures must be in place.

alstein

looks ok to me.
western fighters:
MK > KI
namco fighters:
SC > Tekken
capcom fighters:
SF > versus
DoA:
not present
VF:
secretly S tier

only thing I'm shady on is SamSho cause I don't know anything about it. i dunno if people would really want it above KOF.

I'd put KI current over MK current

As for SamSho, it's like KOF in that the good is really good- but the series is dead right now. Koihime might be the closest thing to it right now (which makes me really want to play it- I need to hit Lost Arc soon)

Outside of GG it's a damn good list. (GG wouldn't make my top 10 period)

Lemstar

Good idea.

What was the thought process behind it? Doing unpopular things for the sake of the stream experience is one thing, but that specific instance just looked like you were tweaking people for its own sake.

This makes me wonder, can people make/use private chats on channels that restrict chat to subs? Would be a good way for communities i.e. GAF to get around the issue of stream monsters, if you see it as an issue.
Twitch group chats are all invite-only. They're pretty good for that purpose.

alstein

This makes me wonder, can people make/use private chats on channels that restrict chat to subs? Would be a good way for communities i.e. GAF to get around the issue of stream monsters, if you see it as an issue.

Any idea what channel?

IRC or a poverty chatroom would be best solution. I pretty much use Jaxel's site for twitch these days anyways. (though it doesn't have local poverty tournies)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Gametrailers' 5 year old Top 10 fighter list makes some good choices, although I'm surprised SamSho is placed so high. guess I should play it someday?

10. KI
9. MK
8. Tekken
7. KOF
6. SC
5. capcom versus
4. GG
3. Samsho
2. VF
1. SF

Swap GG and Samsho and I like the top three for series overall.

SF, VF and GG probably the most influential games in the genre.(and GG itself was heavily inspired by SF) Definitely deserve top spots.

As for the rest idk. I think SC would be 4 and KoF would be 5.

After that who cares

Chindogg

Good idea.

What was the thought process behind it? Doing unpopular things for the sake of the stream experience is one thing, but that specific instance just looked like you were tweaking people for its own sake.

I poke the bear for a couple of reasons. First, because I find it fun to do because I'm an asshole. I'll fully admit that. However there's a significant reason why I really do it. I do it to deflect the displeasure in the commentary/matches/production/whatever from the stream to me.

I'm just a guy sitting in his apartment watching the streams like everyone else. It doesn't matter if I get flamed incessantly for it. However it does distract the content creators if they're constantly flamed with negativity. So I take one for the team to keep their inboxes and Twitter feeds free from bullshit.

Tik-Tok

I poke the bear for a couple of reasons. First, because I find it fun to do because I'm an asshole. I'll fully admit that. However there's a significant reason why I really do it. I do it to deflect the displeasure in the commentary/matches/production/whatever from the stream to me.

I'm just a guy sitting in his apartment watching the streams like everyone else. It doesn't matter if I get flamed incessantly for it. However it does distract the content creators if they're constantly flamed with negativity. So I take one for the team to keep their inboxes and Twitter feeds free from bullshit.

Hey, did you participate in any Fantasy leagues this season? I want to joing a different league next season I'm sick of BEFL

Lemstar

Is there any concern about the storyline going from "Chindogg is a bad mod" to "this major sucks for multiple reasons, one of which is Chindogg's modding?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Slow mode or sub mode?

Slow mode stayed on for a varied amount of time. Sub mode was on based on request by the broadcaster who was tired of ascii art faces and other copypastes.

Stream viewers need to understand that there are people that aren't just stream monsters watching each stream.There are sponsors and casual viewers as well. When chat becomes a cesspool it detracts those groups from wishing to participate in future events. Another thing is that stream monsters seem to think chat belongs to them and that they're entitled to say whatever they wish because "hype." This is actually not true. Many broadcasters have their own rules and unfortunately very few mods actually enforce said rules. That's why I'm mod of so many channels, because I actually do what I'm asked.

I'm not trying to be a massive dick here, although I do enjoy poking the bear from time to time. But there are rules in place that are very simple and its not my fault that the majority cannot handle simple instructions. As long as you're following the rules, there's no problems. However when the issue becomes and epidemic, extreme measures must be in place.

Thank you Chindogg, you're the mod we need but don't deserve.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
5 years ago people still knew what Samurai Shodown was.
eh whoever composed the list is at least more well read on FGs than any other shitty listmaker ive seen. yipes references pre-2011 shows some awareness beyond the standard "i mashed my way through SC1 on the dreamcast when I was 14, good memories. first place"

lists are stupid anyway but it's something to talk about

Astarte

It's Capcom, they probably added extra lag in the console version by accident.

Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some dumb internal reason why the extra lag is there and I doubt they want to spend the manpower fixing it if it's that serious. They're building Ultra on a shoestring budget as it is. Although some of the other updates (like being able to save/load states in training mode) make me wonder what else got overhauled. (Note: The only games I've seen with save state support in training mode also use that functionality online (for rollbacks), but if they overhauled the networking in Ultra I would figure they would be hyping that to the moon.)

Gah, I forgot about their budget. Yeah, I doubt that the lag will be fixed and the online will still probably be crap.

Chindogg

Hey, did you participate in any Fantasy leagues this season? I want to joing a different league next season I'm sick of BEFL

I haven't done BEFL in probably four years. I've been too busy with any fantasy sports honestly.

Is there any concern about the storyline going from "Chindogg is a bad mod" to "this major sucks for multiple reasons, one of which is Chindogg's modding?

The problem with this assertion is that stream chatters will complain about anything, but they'll still watch regardless. Ultimately stream chat doesn't matter when it comes to their numbers. However I have had a couple of people unsub from a channel because I banned them for spamming the most racist and homophobic garbage in chat. It's a difficult situation to let them slide, but ultimately the broadcasters had my back on that decision.

Still waiting for news on if there's the PS3 lag fix for USF4 :[
If you are talking about the input lag that's from the USB PS3 architecture so unpatchable probably. Anything else is in your head/half people playing on wireless because its easy with PS3. What you should have hoped for was for Capcom to some how use their GGPO-like netcode they built for SFxT into USF4, but that was waayyy beyond the scope of this update and probably would have required rebuilding aspects of the engine.

Kumubou

If you are talking about the input lag that's from the USB PS3 architecture so unpatchable probably. Anything else is in your head/half people playing on wireless because its easy with PS3. What you should have hoped for was for Capcom to some how use their GGPO-like netcode they built for SFxT into USF4, but that was waayyy beyond the scope of this update and probably would have required rebuilding aspects of the engine.
I'm not really buying this as from what I remember, this has been tested in other games (from everything from VF to Call of Duty) and the only other game I remember it happening was Tekken 6. It's something weird but it's hardly systemic to the PS3 in general.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hey, I am just saying he is losing to F. Champ's team, not because he is a worst player then him, He is an amazing player, but his team loses VERY badly to F. Champ's team

1+ for this

i thought i saved my edit! i wrote after that "i know you dont mean it in a bad way, the match up is bad regardless for him but maybe he would think otherwise"

Second on FGW | Money Matchless

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
FGW | Dahbomb's Fan Club

FGW | We are Dah bomb (corny)

FGW | 50 pages of Dahbomb and still no patch

FGW | Dahbomb's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 4 Wishlist

FGW | I thought Dahbomb didn't play Marvel

Dahbomb

Honestly if KBR under performed to get Nemo into GFs people would've cried out collusion. It's always better to play your best which KBR did.

Top Bottom