• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

BadWolf

Very curious about this V-Trigger....something ISM-like? Buffing/nerfing certain aspects of the character mid-round? Can't wait for saturday

I bet it's the Tekken charge but for SF. =P

Seems like it's an EX mode where special moves get buffed. After activation:

- Chun Li did a double fireball and dual lightning legs
- Ryu's fireball also seemed more powerful and knocked down. His Tatsu resembled his Tatsu super from the old games and the DP looked like Shin Shoryuken.

Dahbomb

16 characters is perfect.
Wonder if weather changes will effect gameplay. Hope they don't go overboard with it so it won't cause slow downs.
I really hope not. Would give one player too much of a disadvantage or advantage if it's stuff like "stage is raining... characters with fire element are weakened and characters with thunder element are stronger".

Capcom gonna milk that season pass gimimick with SF5

I can feel it.

Random non fighting game thought: I'm so disappointed with the way they made Toon Link in Sm4sh. Could they not think of a cool way to incorporate Tink's Wind Waker wand/baton item into something useful?

No skull hammer? No Deku Leaf recovery item?

Nintendo pls.

Was just watching a WW speedrun and was disappointed tbh

Azure J

Capcom gonna milk that season pass gimimick with SF5

I can feel it.

Random non fighting game thought: I'm so disappointed with the way they made Toon Link in Sm4sh. Could they not think of a cool way to incorporate Tink's Wind Waker wand/baton item into something useful?

No skull hammer? No Deku Leaf recovery item?

Nintendo pls.

Was just watching a WW speedrun and was disappointed tbh

I've been saying this since pre-Brawl breh. Toon Link going into the pile of characters with potential that are just number value edits right next to Ganondorf, Roy/Lucina, and probably Dark Pit if he stays in the series confirmed.

Kumubou

16 characters is perfect.
Wonder if weather changes will effect gameplay. Hope they don't go overboard with it so it won't cause slow downs.
The thought of weather affecting the match is giving me bad flashbacks to Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Nononononononononono... Meele/PM players think the move to Brawl/SSB4 was bad? I'm pretty sure the downgrade from that game's prequel (Immaterial and Missing Power, which is a legitimately interesting and unique fighting game) to SWR is even worse. Barf.

In short: I can't see how a random weather effect would ever work in a fighting game, please don't do it.

BadWolf

Weather will just be cosmetic most probably.

Would be pretty badass to fight in real time snow or rain and it effecting the look of the characters.

I've been saying this since pre-Brawl breh. Toon Link going into the pile of characters with potential that are just number value edits right next to Ganondorf, Roy/Lucina, and probably Dark Pit if he stays in the series confirmed.

Not sure if it's lazy or just trying to make deadlines, but it really takes away from the game tbh..

Alright so regarding that video :

- Time / Weather effects in stages
- Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
- Unreal Engine 4
- The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
- 16 characters
- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
- The story mode will be way much better, they know they fucked up with sf4.
- The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...

If this is true then I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Keeping the name SF5 and nothing more keeps the jokes at bay at the very least. And 16 is a fine number to start with if that's what it's going to take to get the game out by March 2016(the end of the fiscal year). They can add more later and hopefully satisfy enough people waiting for there character to arrive. Also looking forward to V Trigger or whatever the new mechanic is.

The topanga A league finals pretty much got taken off of youtube before I got to work to watch em ;_;7

I've been watching that one guys videos for the past week and last night when I had it playing on my 2nd monitor it got sniped right in front of my eyes. Kind of spooked me to witness something like that for the first time lol.

I really hope not. Would give one player too much of a disadvantage or advantage if it's stuff like "stage is raining... characters with fire element are weakened and characters with thunder element are stronger".

every stage has a single fixed weather condition, people are gonna start counterpicking stages like it's Smash

Kappa

it's probably purely cosmetic though, lol

Kikujiro

If this is true then I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Keeping the name SF5 and nothing more keeps the jokes at bay at the very least. And 16 is a fine number to start with if that's what it's going to take to get the game out by March 2016(the end of the fiscal year). They can add more later and hopefully satisfy enough people waiting for there character to arrive. Also looking forward to V Trigger or whatever the new mechanic is.

This is a great point, especially because people will finally stop bitching about new releases and it will end any kind of confusion among the casual players.

petghost

Banned
i think juri is pretty dope.

she def got cool enough to design to expand on it. world warriors designs are so played out man...we seen all kinds of iterations of them.

Kimosabae

Banned
she def got cool enough to design to expand on it. world warriors designs are so played out man...we seen all kinds of iterations of them.

Agreed. Like Tekken, I'm sick of the standard designs. They're probably scared to take any chances that may mitigate the nostalgia factor.

Soulcalibur is the only franchise I can think of, off the top, that isn't scared to change the designs of the characters every game. In many cases, drastically.

Dlent

Agreed. Like Tekken, I'm sick of the standard designs. They're probably scared to take any chances that may mitigate the nostalgia factor.

Soulcalibur is the only franchise I can think of, off the top, that isn't scared to change the designs of the characters every game. In many cases, drastically.

Unfortunately, using Soulcalibur as an example supports the idea that fighting game characters should never leave the nostalgic comfort zone.

Oh, we're doing this now?

Characters I hope that aren't in SF5:

Blanka
Dhalsim
Fuerte
Seth
Sagat
Rufus
Balrog
Honda
Guy
Cody
Rolento
Zangief
Dee Jay
Guile
Vega

...yeah, obviously an unreasonable pipedream.

This is the part where I would praise MKX for new characters, but Ed Boon has reneged from "the most new characters in an MK game" (which would have been more than 11) to "almost as many as Deception" (which means "almost" 8).

The dream is dead.

RIP SF3, you were too good for this world.

hitsugi

Oh, we're doing this now?

Characters I hope that aren't in SF5:

Guy

...yeah, obviously an unreasonable pipedream.

Don't worry. With all the trouble they've had getting Guy's hitboxes to consistently work, I don't think we'll be seeing him again.

I'd personally prefer they go the route of SF3 where they bring in a new set of characters and only a handful of old come back. Bring them back as DLC or something.. they'd pretty much be guaranteed sales.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well, part of what's great about sc is that there's always two costumes: one classic interpretation and another, more liberal one.

If FG devs had sense it'd be standard

mbpm1

Seriously, what is the difference between Dark Pit and Pit anyway?

Negaduck

My guess is 8 world warriors, 4 returning new (alpha/super/3s), 2 new "old" characters from alpha/3s/CVS (maki/eagle) and 2 brand new ones.

Boo @ Sim hate. I hope my boy is back with ST drills and his mvc2 dash.

Top Bottom