• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 21-27 | Apologies and Crucifixion

Busaiku

The joke is anime = games that are 2d air dasher games.

When darkstalkers comes back if it does, that game will be an anime fighter all the way.

And yes Marvel is an anime game :p

Any game that comes from Darkstalkers heritage is an anime fighter

Yeah, I'm hyped for Darkstalkers.

Shouta

Fuck Logan, I'm waiting for people to bring Tron back.

Buffing everyone that got nerfed or are low-tier would be pretty amusing for the game. System-wise... I don't know if anyone really wants anything changed on that front. I'd actually like Hyper Combos to scale a little bit with the longer combos. Not totally nerf it into the ground but enough that you can't touch of death someone so easily.

kirblar

Buffing everyone that got nerfed or are low-tier would be pretty amusing for the game. System-wise... I don't know if anyone really wants anything changed on that front. I'd actually like Hyper Combos to scale a little bit with the longer combos. Not totally nerf it into the ground but enough that you can't touch of death someone so easily.
Agreed

Apologies then. I guess Marvel cleared SFIV by 2k viewers at its peak. I didn't see the view count clear 29 all throughout top 4, but it musta peaked at 32k before Apology Man finally got his run ended.

I wondered the same thing, I got back home during top 4 and never saw it go above 29k as well. I was wondering if it reached a higher number earlier. I think it also suffered from the same fate SF4 suffered from last years EVO where people dropped out the later it got.

SCR set new North American viewership records though, can't wait to see if Final Round can push things even further.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey Shouta, could you fix the thread title and change it to "Crucifixion?" Yes I am OCD :x

As far as system changes, hypers are fine, TACs are arguably the number 1 thing that need to be changed, they're far too rewarding for no risk. After that, X-Factor values need to be very slightly lowered (any more and XF is useless), and then all the tiny bugs like the round trip glitch which will make the game more of a PITA over time.

TACs are the biggest threat to this game's life and always have been since vanilla came out.

https://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK/status/293253513650262017

Looked about the same for dropped combos on PS3 and 360! Players need to step their game up to the Marvel 2 days.

Hey Shouta, could you fix the thread title and change it to "Crucifixion?" Yes I am OCD :x

As far as system changes, hypers are fine, TACs are arguably the number 1 thing that need to be changed, they're far too rewarding for no risk. After that, X-Factor values need to be very slightly lowered (any more and XF is useless), and then all the tiny bugs like the round trip glitch which will make the game more of a PITA over time.

TACs are the biggest threat to this game's life and always have been since vanilla came out.

X-Factor level one is fine. However Vergil killing an entire time in X-Factor level 3 + DT is just looney. Or Doom being able to take out an entire team with 3 Foot dive and 2 reps (no meter even needed) is just stupid.

kirblar

Reactable TACs (and the removal of TAC infinites) would be fantastic.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
jb2vBHfxUF2i0P.png

Probably cause it was constantly used in reaction to various announcements.
Again, I'm not even sure if it is.

Well I'm going to snitch anyways

I honestly wished MvC3 was less TOD based. Wished it was more reset base so characters like she-hulk, x-23, ammy, thor and etc can really shine while using all of their toolset.

Vanilla was getting really stale for me as all it came down to was that first touch, build the 2nd meter then follow to DHC glitch into kill. Rinse repeat.

MvC3 is getting pretty fucking close with Vergil, Viper, Zero, Wolverine, and friends.

edit

O yeah. Buff the SHIT out of TAC counter and nerf the benefit of TAC a tad bit (just no hitstun deteriorating until landing thing)

Which is funny, because I remember the conventional wisdom for like the first 2 or 3 months on TAC's was "Why the fuck would you ever use those? It's silly!"

Don't remember when that shifted - but it definitely shifted.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I could swear more than a few people were like "This TAC thing is basically worthless - only use it when you feel like styling."

I honestly wished MvC3 was less TOD based. Wished it was more reset base so characters like she-hulk, x-23, ammy, thor and etc can really shine while using all of their toolset.

Vanilla was getting really stale for me as all it came down to was that first touch, build the 2nd meter then follow to DHC glitch into kill. Rinse repeat.

MvC3 is getting pretty fucking close with Vergil, Viper, Zero, Wolverine, and friends.

Look at this match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgMhcjHQGU

Then look at a UMVC3 match. I wish he can get back to that. I really do.

kirblar

Which is funny, because I remember the conventional wisdom for like the first 2 or 3 months on TAC's was "Why the fuck would you ever use those? It's silly!"

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I could swear more than a few people were like "This TAC thing is basically worthless - only use it when you feel like styling."
Vanilla->Ultimate changes made them more useful relative to other options.

TAC was "useless" when DHC glitch was figured out. Why would you "risk" a TAC for more damage whne you could DHC glitch and kill them?

TAC became really strong when they got rid of DHC glitch and when marlin showed the world doom combos. Now add infinites to the equation and it gets really stupid.

Shouta

Done.

I'd definitely like just a little scaling at the end of some so ToD combos aren't as readily available, especially considering meter gain in the game. It doesn't have to be much but it'd just have to be enough to make 100% killing a character without X-Factor or a reset kind of hard.

Though, I guess tearing the TAC infinites apart might help that a little.

Character buffs would be the most welcome aside from TAC fixes.

TAC was "useless" when DHC glitch was figured out. Why would you "risk" a TAC for more damage whne you could DHC glitch and kill them?

TAC became really strong when they got rid of DHC glitch and when marlin showed the world doom combos. Now add infinites to the equation and it gets really stupid.

Thanks for that.

Look at this match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgMhcjHQGU

Then look at a UMVC3 match. I wish he can get back to that. I really do.

Yeah I seen that video before. I was really into the 3s/mvc2 scene way back. Back then its like GOD DAMN YOU GOT OPENED UP.

Now you get the same reaction with just Nova doing the dolphin kick into up/down airdashes.

edit

Just watching the mvc2 match the other day with Mike Ross and Fchamp reminded me how GOOD mvc2 was. It was clear as day who was the better player in like 2-5 games. In mvc3 you need like 10+ games to figure out who is better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TACs were always a big deal from the first time they showed them because their primary function was a second way to tag to another character, a SUPER safe way in comparison to Marvel 2. On top of that, they made it so they could steal/build meter or increase your damage. That's why to this day so many players (i.e. RDK) hate TACs, and you'll see some players not use them entirely because of how scrubby people feel they are. Others concede because, well it's a game about being cheap and you gotta do what you gotta do for those Ws.

Damn Stream Chat copy pasta is bannable? o_O
It's a really old GAF meme. I thought it was funny, but I'd rather not take the risk.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ultra Chen said 30k +. I was in full screen for most of the night though so I can't confirm. Or they said lets get this to 30k...

When he mentioned "30k" I believe he said, "we're almost at 30k". At the time it was like 29.3k or something. I don't recall him mentioning it again after it went past that.

sephi22

Do you guys think Kusoru will ever take part in a US Marvel tournament again? Or will US have to hold that L forever?
It seems like everyone has leveled up exponentially since that Final Round. Kusoru might not even make it to top 8 now.

I thought it was funny, but I'd rather not take the risk.
Oh yeah. I've seen that.
Confused it with the stuff Tetsuo keeps posting on the Stream Monster FB page.

Damn I've seen a 100 variations of 'I'm an expert' meme. Sucks that its bannable now its one of my favorite GAF memes

sleepykyo

Done.

I'd definitely like just a little scaling at the end of some so ToD combos aren't as readily available, especially considering meter gain in the game. It doesn't have to be much but it'd just have to be enough to make 100% killing a character without X-Factor or a reset kind of hard.

Though, I guess tearing the TAC infinites apart might help that a little.

Character buffs would be the most welcome aside from TAC fixes.

It's Marvel. The series has always been terribly broken. ToDs just make it perfect for current gaming and viewing habits.

Someone didn't see how Apologyman bodied everyone with Skrull/West/Doom....

One guy in one tournament. It doesn't prove anything. It didn't prove anything in the past and it doesn't prove anything still.

Even then, that team has full of TOD. Its not like that team is based on resets. The only reset you ever see is after the first combo from skrull to frank (for the level ups). After frank is leveled 4/5 it becomes a TOD match all over again. Every single character on that team could realistically TOD most of the cast.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Before I really go to bed, I definitely saw the stream at 30.6k for at least a match or two. But stream viewers doesn't really matter when the difference is probably not statistically significant.

Also thanks Shouta! :)

It was clear as day who was the better player in like 2-5 games. In mvc3 you need like 10+ games to figure out who is better.

That's my biggest grip with it as well. That's why I personally like what Chris G did with morridoom. Because if he kills the first two characters it's very hard for the last character to derp him out when they can't navigate through soul fist + missiles. (PR Balrog did Derp Chris G out today, but it was with Vergil on point and he happy birthday him with Doom as assist).

However with the other 99% of players sometimes I can't tell who's better. A lot of people thought OMG Itz Andre > CJ before their MM, but to me it was clear CJ was better. Yet I couldn't prove it until they played. Just this weekend we saw Viscant vs CJ and I think everyone agrees Viscant is better yet the score was 7-7 at one point.

Fucking ridiculous. It's like you need a FT15 to prove a point in this game. 3/5 doesn't even do it justice anymore.

Dahbomb

A lot of hypers really do a shit ton of damage in the game and that was one of the changes they made from Vanilla to UMVC3 with mashable hypers. That was a really dumb change as hypers like Fatal Claw and Hailstorm do a crap load of damage even at the end of combos.

Hypers should be reduced in damage on a case by case basis. No need nerfing crap hypers like Phantom Dance or Hard Drive for example.

TACs are the #1 problem in the game. Just by making the window larger to counter AND have the color flash before the TAC connects would be a great change and it would make people come up with actual resets. And of course they have to fix the whole hit stun scaling after TACs.

After that would come the character changes. Some characters just need scaling on their normals/specials fixed (Zero/Viper lol 0.3 values) while others probably need more drastic stuff especially the lower half of the cast. I think just nerfing Hidden Missiles would open up the game so much more and make it less "clutter screen with hit boxes and combo breakers".

That's my biggest grip with it as well. That's why I personally like what Chris G did with morridoom. Because if he kills the first two characters it's very hard for the last character to derp him out when they can't navigate through soul fist + missiles. (PR Balrog did Derp Chris G out today, but it was with Vergil on point and he happy birthday him with Doom as assist).

However with the other 99% of players sometimes I can't tell who's better. A lot of people thought OMG Itz Andre > CJ before their MM, but to me it was clear CJ was better. Yet I couldn't prove it until they played. Just this weekend we saw Viscant vs CJ and I think everyone agrees Viscant is better yet the score was 7-7 at one point.

Fucking ridiculous. It's like you need a FT15 to prove a point in this game. 3/5 doesn't even do it justice anymore.

Exactly. Thats why I enjoy the shit out of Fchamp and Chris G team. They made a team specifically to nullify how volatile the game is. Other players make team to INCREASE the chances of volatility in their favor. I mean cmon Zero May Cry?

I mean just look at the fucking mixup bee has. Its like 2 50/50 mixup into a TOD. Serious? I mean shit I can be a mediocre player like CJ but if I had a setup like that I'll take tons of games away in a 3/5 setting.

Shouta

Nerfing Hidden missiles would be so freaking great actually. That thing is like the worst assist ever. It also doesn't help that Doom is a good character as well.

Riposte

Just noticed SCV is missing from this list. So is Skullgirls.

Edit: Or he just listed top 5. Nevermind.

I voted for VF5 and Skullgirls. Persona also got an honorable mention. (Didn't play TTT2 and SCV was good, but didn't blow me away.) Good year for fighting games!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think just nerfing Hidden Missiles would open up the game so much more and make it less "clutter screen with hit boxes and combo breakers".

How would you nerf it without making it useless?

Reducing damage wouldn't really do anything since the main point isn't necessarily damage.

Reduce the tracking?

Increase the assist cooldown time?

Reduce the number of missiles when used as an assist?

Dahbomb

I mean just look at the fucking mixup bee has. Its like 2 50/50 mixup into a TOD. Serious? I mean shit I can be a mediocre player like CJ but if I had a setup like that I'll take tons of games away in a 3/5 setting.
Zero's standard incoming mix ups with Jam Session makes Bee's mix up look extremely fair and balanced in comparison. It's at least 4-5 50-50s and he can vary them to his needs. All leading to TODs from any confirm. But no Zero even made it into top 8 at SCR. He's the best character in the game. You need more than just set ups and TODs to win in the game.

How would you nerf it without making it useless?

Reducing damage wouldn't really do anything since the main point isn't necessarily damage.

Reduce the tracking?

Increase the assist cooldown time?

Reduce the number of missiles when used as an assist?
*If Doom gets hit all missiles disappear.
*Assist cooldown starts after the last missile disappears.
*Decrease missile count by 2.
*Does not OTG while going up (that's so fucking stupid)

This would be a good start. Still a damn good assist.

Top Bottom