• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

Busaiku

I think Persona 4 Arena will be the last time anime games make a splash at Evo at all, regardless of how it does (good or bad).
People keep saying that people will move on to BlazBlue or Guilty Gear, and while some might, Persona has shown to be bigger than either of those ever were (post Street Fighter IV, at least, dunno about it before then), definitely appealing to a different crowd who might not move on.

While everyone likes to ignore its success in the tournament scene, it's consistently been the 3rd biggest game at every major last year, bigger than TTT2, KOF, MK, and SFXT.
BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (though this is more understandable) have never seen this level of success in tournaments. BlazBlue is especially surprising, since it's sold so much (it's a bigger franchise in the US than Persona, in terms of sales). Persona 4 Arena has been much, much bigger.
Like I mentioned a lot in the NEC topic, it had more than 3x the number of entrants than BlazBlue ever had at NEC. And again, it's also important to note that BB and GG (since 2009) had the highest number of entrants this past year, after Persona 4 Arena had come out.
I believe the NEC turnout for Persona 4 Arena was bigger than any BB/GG tournament (post 2009) outside of Evo. Final Round always has higher numbers for every game, so itll be interesting to see how it does there.

Will these people move on to BBCP or GGXXAC+R? I dunno, I have my doubts, it just seems like too different an audience to me.
BB/GG fans don't like P4A as much because of its simplicity, but it's probably that simplicity that boosted it so much, that got new people or players of other games playing P4A, where GG/BB have greatly failed at.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't even hate on James Chen, the brony phase that still lingers is probably the darkest time in GAF I've seen since I've joined.

We should all be ashamed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BBCP will have success trust me on that one. As long as the community doesnt fuck it up majorly.

I can't even hate on James Chen, the brony phase that still lingers is probably the darkest time in GAF I've seen since I've joined.

We should all be ashamed.

The insecure haters are worse than the fans of it. Most of the shit storms from it all came from that branch.

Busaiku

Oh yeah, and after the announcement of Final Round, ECT, Big E tournaments not being part of Evo, I can easily see Persona 4 Arena failing at Evo as well.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Those girls are around my age so I'm not a creepy fuck if I say they're hot.

Also I don't save instagram pictures or w/e of them either.

Am I the only one who is kind of disturbed by the middle finger Mr Wizard has pointed at the East Coast TOs? Seems that the East Coast EVO is a much bigger deal than what I was expecting, and it's threatening to split apart the FGC more than eSports could possibly have.

This man knows whats up.

THOSE are sins I can get behind.

tumblr_m3ru8kq9ti1r8n6pso1_500.gif

Busaiku

Am I the only one who is kind of disturbed by the middle finger Mr Wizard has pointed at the East Coast TOs? Seems that the East Coast EVO is a much bigger deal than what I was expecting, and it's threatening to split apart the FGC more than eSports could possibly have.

It's the other way around, more likely.
Big E, LI Joe/Sweet Johnny Cage, and Shinblanka are dedicating their stuff to Fall Classic.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

I was kinda thinking this myself. This will be talked about plenty of times. I sensed some behind the scenes tension for a while now and this just makes the feeling more intense. They were mentioning blow ups but I had no idea what they meant. But for things like this, we can only wait to see what happens and hope for the best. The last thing the FGC needs is a divided community at this point. It's come too far for one thing to suddenly tear things down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There were only 2 times I felt Mr. Wizard wasn't telling the whole story and was holding stuff back during the entire thing: when he said Final Round decided to do their own thing, and the rationale he gave for SFxTK still being in. Some games don't get one shot any year but you're giving it a second when it proved to be the catastrophe it was and participant prospects are still poor?

EDIT: Agreed with Kadey's post above this.

What was the reason Wizard gave for putting SFxT back in? Didn't he swear SFxT was not coming back no matter what? Also i'm surprised P4A made it despite Wizards hate for 2 frame overheads and unblockable supers.
I couldn't write this without laughing

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If the so-called Fall Classic turns out decently, the East Coast won't be missing out on anything anyway.

I've said it before, but even though I enjoyed attending Evo last year, it's a distinctly low-tier event for a major.

Dahbomb

There were only 2 times I felt Mr. Wizard wasn't telling the whole story and was holding stuff back during the entire thing: when he said Final Round decided to do their own thing, and the rationale he gave for SFxTK still being in. Some games don't get one shot any year but you're giving it a second when it proved to be the catastrophe it was and participant prospects are still poor?

EDIT: Agreed with Kadey's post above this.
We already know the story behind them both.

East Coast EVO and money hats. The first one he can't talk about because it's still yet to be formally announced with details. For the second one... as if he is going to outright say "Yea Capcom paid me a handsome sum to put SFxT on the line up".

You know what else I feel? I feel we have so many games this year is to detract from the fact that SFxT is on there. Imagine if the full roster was the 3 Capcom games, TTT2 and MK9. That would've been terrible.

I also feel that not every penny from the donation is going towards Breast cancer. They will take some cut to run the extra games this year. The whole thing is genius.

What was the reason Wizard gave for putting SFxT back in? Didn't he swear SFxT was not coming back no matter what? Also i'm surprised P4A made it despite Wizards hate for 2 frame overheads and unblockable supers.

SFxT is a "new game" with the 2013 patch and people took his P4A comments "out of context".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Something about him feeling really good about the changes, game deserving a second chance, blamed a lot of the problems on 2v2.

BBCP will have success trust me on that one. As long as the community doesnt fuck it up majorly.

The insecure haters are worse than the fans of it. Most of the shit storms from it all came from that branch.

But haven't they fucked it up for almost a decade lol?

P4A is probably the biggest anime fighters in NA ever.

Also said there was a solution to "gems" that he could not talk about.

I call bullshit on that one and will believe it when I see it. Putting in a game where you still have to ban a big part of it is wrong.

I predict P4A will be third only to marvel and ae. Lots of people play and like it and now they have something to aim for beyond uncertainty.

One thing I do hate is the whole "the community better support it" threat. I would think this applies to any game.

Busaiku

The more I think about it, the less crazy 8 games at Evo sounds.
I think Mr. Wizard definitely expects a sharp decline in attendance, and it makes sense.

Like it or not, Evo will definitely lose a lot of steam this year when there are other big events like Fall Classic, IPL/MLG, and even Video X Games.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
EVO like many things, is a business. Yeah it is a community thing but you still need money to run it. And just like corporations, you deal with various companies and have several people on board to make decisions. Opinions will differ but when it comes down to it everything has to be on point and certain people have to be pleased. Pride has to be swallowed, asses have to be kissed, certain people to be stepped on, etc., in order to make things work. That's just how it is. It's not all candyland behind closed doors.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But haven't they fucked it up for almost a decade lol?

P4A is probably the biggest anime fighters in NA ever.

LOL If I could promote the game myself I would :( I don't got the tools or outlets to do so. and I'm pretty sure guilty gear was bigger than p4a ever was in context of FGC population percentage popularity

gutabo

Yeah, besides a huge moneyhat, I can't see another reason for having SFxT there. Those 2 perfects on Combofiend(without letting Mike Ross play) were the final nail in the coffin for me. Of course, SFxT 2013 could be a good game but that's not the point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We already know the story behind them both.

East Coast EVO and money hats. The first one he can't talk about because it's still yet to be formally announced with details. For the second one... as if he is going to outright say "Yea Capcom paid me a handsome sum to put SFxT on the line up".

You know what else I feel? I feel we have so many games this year is to detract from the fact that SFxT is on there. Imagine if the full roster was the 3 Capcom games, TTT2 and MK9. That would've been terrible.

I also feel that not every penny from the donation is going towards Breast cancer. They will take some cut to run the extra games this year. The whole thing is genius.
Did Mr. Wizard even say if ALL proceeds would go to breast cancer or just say proceeds will? Regardless I don't think they'll do that and get themselves exposed and jeopardize everything EVO has grown towards. I think they'll do all of it. I also think Breast Cancer was chosen in part to combat stigmas over the past year that the FGC is sexist.

I agree with you on SFxTK though. I mean the dude clearly said that he had insider info on stuff he couldn't speak about. Capcom/IPL may not be in his pockets officially yet, but I guess tomorrow is the day he's open to cheques. I just think its stupid that *that* game which has proven it should not return suddenly has prospects its EVO-worthy while other non-Capcom games who could be catered to to fulfill the last niches (say VF and SG mini tournaments) could've been done instead. It was just so overtly bullshit.

xCobalt

The more I think about it, the less crazy 8 games at Evo sounds.
I think Mr. Wizard definitely expects a sharp decline in attendance, and it makes sense.

Like it or not, Evo will definitely lose a lot of steam this year when there are other big events like Fall Classic, IPL/MLG, and even Video X Games.

Thinking there's going to be a decline in attendance is crazy. Aside from vxg nothing else has been announced or have firm dates. There's no reason to expect a decline in attendance and then book a larger venue.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't know. It's not hard for me to justify SFxTK as a 7th-stringer.

How many other games can you clearly argue a better case for?

People buy the games, they just don't go out to play it.
...What argument are you trying to make by saying this, though?

Thinking there's going to be a decline in attendance is crazy. Aside from vxg nothing else has been announced or have firm dates. There's no reason to expect a decline in attendance and then book a larger venue.

Overall? It will probably go up. But I expect mk, kof, sfxt and mlp or whatever to have next to no entrants. So even though there are 8 games, there really is probably only 4 substantial ones.

I don't know. It's not hard for me to justify SFxTK as a 7th-stringer.

How many other games can you clearly argue a better case for?

Correct. People will play for IPL and the $, so sure, go for it.

Busaiku

They probably booked the venue way before they knew that any of this was actually going on.
Like Mr. Wizard said, there are dates booked even through 2020.

That's why I think they're having 8 games, to try and make up for that, but I can definitely see them not living up that.

Dahbomb

EVO like many things, is a business. Yeah it is a community thing but you still need money to run it. And just like corporations, you deal with various companies and have several people on board to make decisions. Opinions will differ but when it comes down to it everything has to be on point and certain people have to be pleased. Pride has to be swallowed, asses have to be kissed, certain people to be stepped on, etc., in order to make things work. That's just how it is. It's not all candyland behind closed doors.
Yeah this is the truth. I just hope this puts an end to the whole "EVO can't be money hatted". It's pretty obvious that Capcom is pushing SFxT really hard as is WB pushing MK. It's good to have those companies backing up their games. I wouldn't be surprised if both the games got pot bonuses. I also get the feeling that Sony probably didn't push hard enough with PSASBR if at all. Don't know how Tecmo feels with DOA getting shafted.

Top Bottom