• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

What about GG? How is the online there?
Bad
If WB/NRS moneyhats were a major factor, we'd be seeing Injustice instead of MK9.
You can't pay a cake to cook any faster.

random cake out of nowhere
Am I the only one who is kind of disturbed by the middle finger Mr Wizard has pointed at the East Coast TOs? Seems that the East Coast EVO is a much bigger deal than what I was expecting, and it's threatening to split apart the FGC more than eSports could possibly have.
If it splits then that probably has more to do with East Coast not getting as many seeding opportunities for EVO.
I agree with you on SFxTK though. I mean the dude clearly said that he had insider info on stuff he couldn't speak about. Capcom/IPL may not be in his pockets officially yet, but I guess tomorrow is the day he's open to cheques. I just think its stupid that *that* game which has proven it should not return suddenly has prospects its EVO-worthy while other non-Capcom games who could be catered to to fulfill the last niches (say VF and SG mini tournaments) could've been done instead. It was just so overtly bullshit.
Skullgirls was mortally wounded the moment SFxT was chosen over it for EVO. I don't blame anyone for that. The release schedule kept shifting and the game's fantastic momentum died the moment the EVO 2012 lineup was announced. Everyone stopped playing what they liked and focused on the pots. I haven't accepted that fact until just now tbh...
But haven't they fucked it up for almost a decade lol?

P4A is probably the biggest anime fighters in NA ever.
It couldn't be that bad. Didn't Guilty Gear have like a half dozen showings at EVO throughout the years?
One thing I do hate is the whole "the community better support it" threat. I would think this applies to any game.
Yeah, I immediately noticed how this was specifically meant for the anime scene. None of this was uttered once when the other games were talked about. We all know numbers and the end all...
EVO like many things, is a business. Yeah it is a community thing but you still need money to run it. And just like corporations, you deal with various companies and have several people on board to make decisions. Opinions will differ but when it comes down to it everything has to be on point and certain people have to be pleased. Pride has to be swallowed, asses have to be kissed, certain people to be stepped on, etc., in order to make things work. That's just how it is. It's not all candyland behind closed doors.
Indeed

Dahbomb

If WB/NRS moneyhats were a major factor, we'd be seeing Injustice instead of MK9.
Injustice's release date is a major issue though, it's too close to EVO time and it's such an unconfirmed quantity. I feel like the reason why MK made it in was because Injustice was a big question mark and WB still wanted some presence at EVO, which is smart. I think it was an either/or situation there.

sleepykyo

Injustice's release date is a major issue though, it's too close to EVO time and it's such an unconfirmed quantity. I feel like the reason why MK made it in was because Injustice was a big question mark and WB still wanted some presence at EVO, which is smart. I think it was an either/or situation there.

They announced MK9 as part of Evo before it released back when WB was pushing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I thought Q was implying that BB wasn't a successful franchise.

It is, just not as a tournament franchise even though the balance is largely in favor of that. It's big because of it's single player and the visuals. It doesn't have a huge serious player base though that are willing to go out and it doesnt really get an influx of new players over time.

It's popular where I live though.

LOL If I could promote the game myself I would :( I don't got the tools or outlets to do so. and I'm pretty sure guilty gear was bigger than p4a ever was in context of FGC population percentage popularity

O I was talking in general. P4A is pretty big due to the whole P4 thing.

xCobalt

Injustice is rumored to be released in April. IIRC, MK9 came out in mid April as well.

Dahbomb

They announced MK9 as part of Evo before it released back when WB was pushing.
I know that but WB didn't have a fighting game before MK9 at EVO. Plus it was released with more time until EVO. It's a slightly different situation than 2 years ago. Plus Injustice is still an option for player's choice. I don't think WB will try to money hat 2 games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
O I was talking in general. P4A is pretty big due to the whole P4 thing.

It got big because of the P4 thing and the fact it was sf2 easy to pick up so anyone even if they didn't want to take it seriously could still do decent. balance issues are fucking rampant as fuck in that game and there isnt enough depth to really get around it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It got big because of the P4 thing and the fact it was sf2 easy to pick up so anyone even if they didn't want to take it seriously could still do decent. balance issues are fucking rampant as fuck in that game and there isnt enough depth to really get around it.

So is Kanji broken or what?

I don't think its depth that is the issue. I just think that a lot of the herp-derp strats are just too good against a good portion of the cast. I don't think its nearly as bad as 3s, mvc2 or cvs2 balance-wise.

I have no issues with the balance.

For the last time, MK9 made it because their community is strong and they have been getting very consistent numbers in majors. Do you seriously think a game that got >100 at NEC has less rights to be in EVO than a KOFXIII with 57 players?

The only way MK9 wouldn't be in EVO is if they are limiting the lineup to 3 games.

vocab

So is Kanji broken or what?

His neutral game is fucking terrible. The worst i have seen in a fighting game.....maybe. The damage he outputs is insane off a fatal counter, but it's a joke compared to CT tager or Potemkin. At least Kanji has a practical insta kill, but the chances to use it are very small (punish for long animations).

sleepykyo

I know that but WB didn't have a fighting game before MK9 at EVO. Plus it was released with more time until EVO. It's a slightly different situation than 2 years ago. Plus Injustice is still an option for player's choice. I don't think WB will try to money hat 2 games.

If they were going to push a game in, doesn't it make more sense to push the game that is selling for 60 over the 20 game that is never getting restocked?

Busaiku

Going back to GG in relation to size, P4A easily beats out AC days (prior to BB), so unless it was huge during the beginning of the millennium, I don't think even that's comparable.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Going back to GG in relation to size, P4A easily beats out AC days (prior to BB), so unless it was huge during the beginning of the millennium, I don't think even that's comparable.

The fgc is bigger now than it was back then due to the 2009 influx this is why I said population %

Dahbomb

For the last time, MK9 made it because their community is strong and they have been getting very consistent numbers in majors. Do you seriously think a game that got >100 at NEC has less rights to be in EVO than a KOFXIII with 57 players?
I never said that was the only reason, yes stable community is needed to be featured on EVO. Hell that's why an argument for SFxT could also be made in that it had the 3rd highest attendance at EVO.

It's also one of the deciding factor (among the release date) why MK got in over Injustice. There is no proof that the MK crowd will flock to Injustuce..

You play jojo's you dont know about balance

Come on now.

ehh I should of worded that better. Some of the top tier character strats are too herp-derp but nothing that can't be fixed in given a serious update/patch.

I think yukiko, liz, yosuke, akihiko, naoto (minus smp loop), and teddy have a lot of room to grow. Its just Chie, Aigis, Mitsuru, Yu (to some extent) and I want to say Labrys is kinda derpy. Unfortunately a majority of those rule the top tier spectrum so you see them a lot.

I don't think its the game engine or mechanics that hold it back in terms of depth but rather balance.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ehh I should of worded that better. Some of the top tier character strats are too herp-derp but nothing that can't be fixed in given a serious update/patch.

I think yukiko, liz, yosuke, akihiko, naoto (minus smp loop), and teddy have a lot of room to grow. Its just Chie, Aigis, Mitsuru, Yu (to some extent) and I want to say Labrys is kinda derpy. Unfortunately a majority of those rule the top tier spectrum so you see them a lot.

I don't think its the game engine or mechanics that hold it back in terms of depth but rather balance.

It would need a SFxTK size overhaul.

Well, it's been getting more than Tekken has, which wasn't something that GG could claim, so maybe it still stands.
Pretty sure tekken was at it's peak in the Tag 1 times and t5 times. Which would be around time times of GG starting up and it's final moments

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
fd9194d0ccb2d96e03cedeee627a75c5.jpeg

Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far we have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Busaiku
Chavelo
Dahbomb
EarlyEarly
enzo_gt
Killa Sasa
MiniBossBattle
Parallax Scroll
Ragingnight
Riposte
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
jbug617
HardRojo
Professor Beef

VOTE NOW!
Vanilla

Busaiku

Pretty sure tekken was at it's peak in the Tag 1 times and t5 times. Which would be around time times of GG starting up and it's final moments

Well, if Accent Core, prior to BlazBlue, was when GG was dead, then I guess Reload or XX could have had better footing in the community, but Kuroppi really only goes back to 2005 or so as the earliest.
Still, it's interesting to note that nothing besides Capcom games, and now Persona 4 Arena, have seen great increases in absolute numbers since PS2 days. Everything's up, just not to the extent that those are.

I can't comment to much having never played it ... But everything I have seen suggests the balance issues are tweakable. I wonder if they will put out a patch given it is now going to be showcased? I really don't think it needs an overhaul. It might not have the depth of some games, but I still love watching ST too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I have the same problem with P4A as I've had with all the other ArcSys games I've played. It always feels like I'm spending all of my time learning subsystems and never actually learning the characters, so I lose interest super quick.

It's even more pronounced in P4A for me because there are only 2 normal attack buttons...

Busaiku

I can't comment to much having never played it ... But everything I have seen suggests the balance issues are tweakable. I wonder if they will put out a patch given it is now going to be showcased? I really don't think it needs an overhaul. It might not have the depth of some games, but I still love watching ST too.

It's part of the ArcSys 15 year anniversary series, despite not being an ArcSys title, so I've been speculating that it might get patched.

Infinite

Well, if Accent Core, prior to BlazBlue, was when GG was dead, then I guess Reload or XX could have had better footing in the community, but Kuroppi really only goes back to 2005 or so as the earliest.
Still, it's interesting to note that nothing besides Capcom games, and now Persona 4 Arena, have seen great increases in absolute numbers since PS2 days. Everything's up, just not to the extent that those are.

It really doesn't matter. People play Persona 4 arena at tournaments. Done.

FSLink

Banned
Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far we have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Busaiku
Chavelo
Dahbomb
EarlyEarly
enzo_gt
Killa Sasa
MiniBossBattle
Parallax Scroll
Ragingnight
Riposte
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
jbug617
HardRojo
Professor Beef

VOTE NOW!

Easily vanilla. I was always fond of this version too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVa0Q_t0bI

Busaiku

It really doesn't matter. People play Persona 4 arena at tournaments. Done.

That's my point.
People play Persona 4 Arena at tournaments at a level that BlazBlue and maybe Guilty Gear have not.
So when Persona 4 Arena dies, I have my doubts that people will move on to BlazBlue.

Infinite

That's my point.
People play Persona 4 Arena at tournaments at a level that BlazBlue and maybe Guilty Gear have not.
So when Persona 4 Arena dies, I have my doubts that people will move on to BlazBlue.

I sorta agree but seeing you guys go in circles about it was infuriating. When BBCP comes out I'll be playing it but to be honest I have not seen a level of support for BB like I have seen for P4a for every incarnation of it. I'm a bit wary.

smurfx

get some go again
so sfxt did make it to evo. looks like it going e-sports made the difference. capcom has more influence than some of you thought.

I have the same problem with P4A as I've had with all the other ArcSys games I've played. It always feels like I'm spending all of my time learning subsystems and never actually learning the characters, so I lose interest super quick.

It's even more pronounced in P4A for me because there are only 2 normal attack buttons...

Really? P4A is a really simple game. I think it's actually the best game out there for understanding match flow and meter management.

They would have to change a lot of the gameplan of mitsuru/aigis/yu/chie. Their gameplans are just really derpy and auto-pilot. There is very little thinking when it comes to playing them. I mean for example, if chie/yu knock you down the game pretty much becomes a 1player match of RPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLJzWCoF3Y

Just look at those setups. Its titled "Chie Beginner~Intermediate Okizeme and Combo Tutorial" but these setups work even at a high level. Its just that good and really herp-derp autopilot.

Really? P4A is a really simple game. I think it's actually the best game out there for understanding match flow and meter management.

I agree for the most part. Once you learn the game mechanics (which didn't take that long imo), everything flows nicely.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

air dash, barier block which is like push blocking, and alpha counters and cancels. Not really complex

so sfxt did make it to evo. looks like it going e-sports made the difference. capcom has more influence than some of you thought.
What the...

I think most people's complains until now have been specifically centered around the idea that Capcom has too much influence lol.

Top Bottom