• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

PureYeti

Man I want that shirt. Imagine how many entrants Tekken will get if it was revealed during registration.

Only CafeID crew I see on the bracket is Verna and MadKOF. Sadly Reynald and Romance aren't going.

USFIV: Infiltration/Daigo
UMVC3: Justin Wong/Chris G
Melee: Mang0
KI: MyGod88/Justin Wong
KOFXIII: Tokido
Injustice: Emperor Theo
TTT2: Bronson Tran
BBCP: Lord Knight. I believe!

Busaiku

Tokido won some tournaments in Asia where there were Koreans and Japanese (including the runner up of last year's Evo).
The next tournament he went to, he beat Reynald.

Chavelo

Are we allowed to drink on the stream stage, Wizard? I wanna have a bottle of Modelo or something if for some reason I can get on stream. :D

Dahbomb

UMVC3 is really a 3 way power struggle among Justin, FChamp and ChrisG in terms of who has the best chance to win. It will all boil down to match ups and who gets to play who. I honestly like Justin over every other player except ChrisG and FChamp is 50/50 in terms of being able to take down the other two. I like ChrisG over Justin but I feel FChamp can squeeze out a win over ChrisG in a high pressure situation.

These 3 are just simply ahead of the pack. While Flocker, PRRog and to a lesser extent Apologyman are right behind those three I still feel like those 3 are in a tier on their own right now.

I would consider any of those 3 "gods" not making into top 8 to be a legitimate upset.

More of a wish list than a prediction list but

Ultra - Daigo

Mahvel - JWong

Smash - Armada

I want to see surprising showings from foreigners using less common characters most of all.

UMVC3 is really a 3 way power struggle among Justin, FChamp and ChrisG in terms of who has the best chance to win. It will all boil down to match ups and who gets to play who. I honestly like Justin over every other player except ChrisG and FChamp is 50/50 in terms of being able to take down the other two. I like ChrisG over Justin but I feel FChamp can squeeze out a win over ChrisG in a high pressure situation.

These 3 are just simply ahead of the pack. While Flocker, PRRog and to a lesser extent Apologyman are right behind those three I still feel like those 3 are in a tier on their own right now.

I would consider any of those 3 "gods" not making into top 8 to be a legitimate upset.

I feel like

Chris G is the only one of the three that can beat the other two coming from losers. What I mean is

If Justin is losers Champ is winners (I say 60/40 in Champ's favor).
If Justin is loser and Chris G is winners (I say 90/10 in Chris G's favor).

If Chris G in losers and Justin in winners (I say 50/50)
If Chris G in losers and Champ in winners (I say 50/50)

If Champ in losers and Justin in winners (I say 60/40 Justin's favor)
If Champ is in losers and Chris G in winners (I say 70/30 Chris G's favor).

So by my math Chris G is the favorite.... but I always go with the heart!

Cloud805 wins EVO! Or Flocker! Or some random Zero.

UMVC3 is really a 3 way power struggle among Justin, FChamp and ChrisG in terms of who has the best chance to win.

Most likely, but the variable might be how much those three are actually focusing on marvel. No idea of course, but if I was in Justin's shoes I'd be spending most of my time on KI, since it would seem that is currently the game with the best return on investment.

JeTmAn81

Most likely, but the variable might be how much those three are actually focusing on marvel. No idea of course, but if I was in Justin's shoes I'd be spending most of my time on KI, since it would seem that is currently the game with the best return on investment.

It's KI for the money, Marvel for the glory. SF for fun.

Azure J

More of a wish list than a prediction list but

Ultra - Daigo

Mahvel - JWong

Smash - Armada

I want to see surprising showings from foreigners using less common characters most of all.

If we're doing wishlists:

Ultra: Someone playing Fuerte for hilarity's sake
Marvel: JWong
Smash: aMSa

For this reason, Marvel has a lot of potential to be dull this year. The focus will be on something else for 3/5 of the Marvel gods.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Capcom better hook it up with a PC copy of Ultra >:|
Hey man, you willing to do next week's spotlight?

If you're just all full force EVO, we can hold off on the spotlight for a week, perhaps even in the case your best/worst moments happen to be this weekend :p

notworksafe

Hey man, you willing to do next week's spotlight?

If you're just all full force EVO, we can hold off on the spotlight for a week, perhaps even in the case your best/worst moments happen to be this weekend :p

I'm taking off to Vegas on Wednesday and back next Monday so whatever works for you.

Deps

Predictions mmmmm

TTT2: KuroKuro, maybe Mr.Naps or Bronson if they don't choke
USF4: Infiltration
UMVC3: CJ Showstopper
BB: Dogura
KOF: Tokido

I'm confused on the order situation. Are people saying that BBCP is being put first to get it out of the way despite having more entrants/pot/JP players than the other games?

They (almost) always open with the anime game, and maybe they figure it will be less interesting with an all-Japanese top 8. At least I can go to lunch when KI's on, and KoF not being on Sunday means the schedule won't get completely messed up by it.

You'll have to wait for AnimEvo 2015 for that.

Damnit!

Werd. I need more Cassie Cage Footage.

Some cool boss sounding stuff. I quite like it and the other songs thus far. I believe I like May's theme the most, probably because it reminds me of that good music from Sonic
Adventure

I like May's theme as well. I actually like a lot of the newer ones over the older ones.

I would not mind if they just started giving characters mystical shit at this point in the narrative.
What is the general Tekken narrative? It's hard to understand how humans, robots, pandas, kangaroos, and demons can all come together in one setting.

AAK

For my favorite community <3

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/06/ban...tag-tournament-2-competitors-during-evo-2014/

tshirt_SAMPLE2.png

That's an awesome piece of artwork. Hope the raw artwork surfaces online.

Village

What is the general Tekken narrative? It's hard to understand how humans, robots, pandas, kangaroos, and demons can all come together in one setting.

Depends, its kind of a tree, lot of people connected to people with their own narratives.

You might wanna look at a wiki, or do you just wanna know the mishima shit because that is actually simple.

I mean each solo narrative isn't too difficult to understand, its just a lot of shit.

I feel like

Chris G is the only one of the three that can beat the other two coming from losers. What I mean is

If Justin is losers Champ is winners (I say 60/40 in Champ's favor).
If Justin is loser and Chris G is winners (I say 90/10 in Chris G's favor).

If Chris G in losers and Justin in winners (I say 50/50)
If Chris G in losers and Champ in winners (I say 50/50)

If Champ in losers and Justin in winners (I say 60/40 Justin's favor)
If Champ is in losers and Chris G in winners (I say 70/30 Chris G's favor).

So by my math Chris G is the favorite.... but I always go with the heart!

Cloud805 wins EVO! Or Flocker! Or some random Zero.
Lies and (appropriate) heresy.

No one is more dangerous in the loser's bracket than Justin Wong. It's his Super Saiyan

Anth0ny

Least hyped I've been for Evo (overall) in a while =/

Melee will be hype as fuck, by far what I'm most excited about. The build to this Evo has had so many storylines, so many players making noise... it should be fantastic.

Close to zero hype going into Marvel, which is a fucking shame because the last three Evos have been awesome for Marvel 3, but the last 12 months or so... very unhype.

Ultra should be really exciting, but again, I'm not really feeling the hype there either, which is surprising considering the game is brand new. However, the Friday of SF4 play is always incredible and gets me SUPER hyped for top 8, so I'm totally expecting that this year too =D

I like May's theme as well. I actually like a lot of the newer ones over the older ones.

I mostly agree, sans the new Millia vs Zato=One theme imo. And though they will never replace the godliness that is Holy Orders, I like Ky's new theme well enough and including Holy Orders III anyway was a neat move. In fact, I hope they pull more stuff from Overture like this one.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Least hyped I've been for Evo (overall) in a while =/

Melee will be hype as fuck, by far what I'm most excited about. The build to this Evo has had so many storylines, so many players making noise... it should be fantastic.

Close to zero hype going into Marvel, which is a fucking shame because the last three Evos have been awesome for Marvel 3, but the last 12 months or so... very unhype.

Ultra should be really exciting, but again, I'm not really feeling the hype there either, which is surprising considering the game is brand new. However, the Friday of SF4 play is always incredible and gets me SUPER hyped for top 8, so I'm totally expecting that this year too =D

Twitch was being shit, was GF for kings of cal mango and armada?

Twitch needs to get their shit together because cracking under pressure at only 30k viewers on just a SoCal tournament is just pathetic.

Top Bottom