• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

I mostly agree, sans the new Millia vs Zato=One theme imo. And though they will never replace the godliness that is Holy Orders, I like Ky's new theme well enough and including Holy Orders III anyway was a neat move. In fact, I hope they pull more stuff from Overture like this one.

I agree that Ky's new theme is pretty good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sin uses his theme from Overture since that's the game he comes from (like Ramlethal).

Prototype

After reading that huge 4gamer interview with tokido, daigo, kaz, ect. I am really hyped for EVO.

Really liked some off the stuff they talked about and it was cool to read about daigo getting his Ryu issues off his chest.

Dahbomb

Really cause Flocker won last year... and 9 out of 10 times when Chris in winners Justin in loser Justin lost. However the time Justin has beaten Chris...
Justin beat Chris in Losers at the time where it mattered the most... at last year's EVO.

Justin has also beat ChrisG in Losers at Winter Brawl I believe but that was a long time ago. In addition, Justin was a beast in losers bracket during MVC2 era.

Give me the ADD Marvel player version.
Story almost always revolves around the Mishima family line (Jinpachi -> Heihachi -> Kazuya -> Jin). These guys have demon blood in them and Kaz/Jin can tramsform into devil versions of themselves. All of these guys are not at the greatest terms with each other (Heihachi's method of growing up his son Kazuya is to employ some barbaric Spartan shit like throwing him down a cliff just to see if he can survive). They are almost always fighting each other.

The rest of the characters are only important to the story if they tie to the Mishima storyline/characters some what. Most just have their own motivations and character arcs that's almost always is never important to whatever main story is being played (like Law opening a new restaurant has nothing to do with the family feud at Mishima mansion).

Story almost always revolves around the Mishima family line (Jinpachi -> Heihachi -> Kazuya -> Jin). These guys have demon blood in them and Kaz/Jin can tramsform into devil versions of themselves. All of these guys are not at the greatest terms with each other (Heihachi's method of growing up his son Kazuya is to employ some barbaric Spartan shit like throwing him down a cliff just to see if he can survive). They are almost always fighting each other.

The rest of the characters are only important to the story if they tie to the Mishima storyline/characters some what. Most just have their own motivations and character arcs that's almost always is never important to whatever main story is being played (like Law opening a new restaurant has nothing to do with the family feud at Mishima mansion).
I can dig that. What about the robot, kangaroo, and panda?

Who I want top 8, no order

Ryan hart
Louffy
snake eyes
Haitani
Human bomb
Alioune
Hsien Chang
Wolfkrone

If any of these aren't going, sub in smug and Arturo

Marvel

Champ
Apologyman
Bee
Angelic
Scrubeks
Dios x
Jan
Full schedule

Anyone not going, sub in sumbrwnkid and moons

Westlo

Dat FCG Vs Kachitagari Quarter Finals match at Topanga Charity Cup.. so good.

I like May's theme as well. I actually like a lot of the newer ones over the older ones.

Ky and May's are the two stand out tracks imo, Millia's is pretty good as well. Those 3 I like as much as their originals... After that it doesn't stand up well to the older stuff, also not as good as Blazblue....

Hopefully Dizzy gets an awesome theme for Xrd 2.0.....

FakeEdit - Just started listening to Valentine's theme, pretty dope.

Quadratic

Excited about going to EVO this year. Had to miss last year due to not getting vacation approved.

Anyone else become more of a spectator than player? I used to play a lot of fighting games but now it's become something I watch streams when I have free time. I still keep up with the scene and I'm familiar with who are the favourites in Marvel and Ultra.

Finally did my homework on Decapre, apparently only the LP stinger is strike invincible while the heavy is throw invincible. The MP version has neither and my app says it's fireball invincible. So as a reversal I guess Decapre players will only go for the light and heavy version when they have no meter for the EX version. As for the scramble. I see that you can throw it, but only pretty early in its start up. I can see why that Decapre player kept using it against me, it appears to be strike invincible and I kept going for meaty cr. LK and got blown up by the cross up pound.

Still have a lot to learn about these new characters.

EDIT: Damn it, meant to post in the USF4 thread. I left Neogaf on this thread when I thought I left it on the USF4 thread instead. Oh well, will run to post it there.

Dahbomb

I can dig that. What about the robot, kangaroo, and panda?
The robots have their own storyline based around Dr. Boskonovich who is their creator (various Jacks, Alisa etc.). The animal characters are joke characters for the most part serving as the main comedy relief. Kuma has some hilarious interactions with Heihachi for example.

Most likely, but the variable might be how much those three are actually focusing on marvel. No idea of course, but if I was in Justin's shoes I'd be spending most of my time on KI, since it would seem that is currently the game with the best return on investment.
Justin has already confirmed that KI and UMVC3 will be his main focus this year.

And rightfully so as he has the best chance in both of those games. I honestly think if ChrisG gets eliminated before he faces JWong it's in the bag for Justin.

Oh and Justin has actually been in UMVC3 training mode claiming to have discovered a new Wolverine mix up. That's when you know he's serious.

did he recently find this tech or has he been holding it for awhile?

because if it's the latter, i didn't know people still did that :<

Dahbomb

He claims he just recently found it.

Of course he made a similar claim last year and the tech wasn't really used at EVO. It was really just an extra way for Wolverine to pick up characters solo after a ground throw.

Justin beat Chris in Losers at the time where it mattered the most... at last year's EVO.

Justin has also beat ChrisG in Losers at Winter Brawl I believe but that was a long time ago. In addition, Justin was a beast in losers bracket during MVC2 era.

That's not what I'm talking about bro.

I'm talking about grand finals ONLY.

Losers/losers is irrelevant. I'm talking about in GF when Justin is losers and Chris G is winners. I remember I kept a tally and it was like 5-1.

Give me the ADD Marvel player version.

Heihachi(MultiBillionare CEO & Badass), who never liked his bitch ass son Kazuya(cause the mother died in childbirth?), gets really pissed off one day & chucks his son off a cliff & says that if "He really is his son he'll climb back up." Kazuya obviously be a fucking kid is all fucked up and barely survives the fall. Crippled, the Devil comes to him & offers him the power to take revenge on Heihachi for what he did. Kaz makes the deal inherits the "Devil Gene" & proceeds to train and bide his time till Hei decides to throw a world tournament to decide who is the strongest in the world.

Kaz wins tournament #1 tosses Hei off the same cliff he was & takes control of the company.

Heihachi survived though, comes back, wins #2 tosses Kazuya in a Volcano to one up his son, & takes control of the company.

Kazuya knocked Jun during Tekken 2. She has Jin, Jin trains with Hei for tournament #3, wins, but Hei finds out Jin has the Devil Gene too & in fear of a repeat of Kazuya, tries to kill him & fails.

Tekken 4 Kazuya showed up alive somehow rebuilt by Mishima company's biggest rival G Corp. They all fight, Jin wins again. Jacks come & attack & "Kill Heihachi".

Tekken 5, turns out someone locked Heihachi's father in the basement for 50 years. Somehow, he was alive, then he gets possesed by something & breaks free. Since Heihachi is "dead", Jinpachi takes control of the company. Jin wins #5 kills Jinpachi, takes control of the company. Spoilers though, Heihachi didn't die.

The series lost me at 6. Dunno what happened after 5.

Busaiku

mPCaFMj.jpg

Best fighter cover ever.

Dahbomb

That's not what I'm talking about bro.

I'm talking about grand finals ONLY.

Losers/losers is irrelevant. I'm talking about in GF when Justin is losers and Chris G is winners. I remember I kept a tally and it was like 5-1.
To be fair in GFs the person coming from Losers is at an inherent disadvantage.

It's just better to say that head to head ChrisG has the advantage over Justin.

Good luck to those playing at EVO! Win some for us who couldn't make it
and those who chose not to go. Sorry Wiz.

Most of all though, have a good time~!

Jin makes the Mishima Zaibatsu its own nation and declares war on the world pretending to be a bad guy like when Kazuya did it in Tekken 2. Kazyua runs G-Corp. Jin throws a tournament which basically gets side swiped by the adventures of Lars and Alisa as they travel around doing....stuff until they find Jin. Lars learns he's a mishima. Jin reveals he was JKing and trying to summon the source of the Devil Gene so he can be free from it, he kills it but the ending reveals that he still has the Devil Gene(his cool tattoo).

Bam...

alstein

Those devil Asuka shirts are really nice! Go Tekken.

I would shirt monster for that game if I was going to Evo.

Asuka's one of my all-time favorite character designs period. If I could play a tag game with Asuka and Geese Howard I'd put more effort into fighters again.

ArjanN

Realistically are you guys expecting there'll be anything new announced at EVO in terms of new games/ports etc.?

Realistically are you guys expecting there'll be anything new announced at EVO in terms of new games/ports etc.?

I don't think USF4 on PS4 or a MKX or KI character is out of the question.

Could also get the announcement of the next Guilty Gear game.

Horseress

Ed Boon is teasing an announcement on Saturday, so there's that. And Nintendo is surprisingly sponsoring EVO, so...maybe a new trailer/character reveal? That would be dope

casperOne

This one is easily in the top 3 thread titles created for FGC Weekly.

Enzo, amazing job on the thread title. This is by far one of dabess.

Make your predictions folks. Who you want to win and who you think will win.

I feel like I've already won:

1LYg5hs.png

http://evo.shoryuken.com/

And I haven't even done anything yet! Wish me luck that all goes smoothly throughout the tournament.

And I really, really hope you guys like what you see.

Not at all. It would be a nice bonus, but there's been no official hints (only speculation).

Of course, that means that the best time to do it would be now.

Bold prediction: Multiple Fei Longs and Cammys in top 3, neither win.

FTFY

Good luck to all Gaffers attending EVO.

Have an enjoyable experience, GAF @ EVO!

Thank you!

Well...this is it.

God damn I'm getting so anxious and nervous. Can't wait for this to be over.

I got those jitters too (even though I'm not playing). I love it, because I feel I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. That feeling when you know you have a solid plan, even though things can go to shit, and you're just ready to perform.

Marvel

1. ChrisG
2. Justin
3. FChamp
4. Flocker
5. PR Rog
6. Apologyman

You could randomly order this list and it would still be a viable choice.

ArcSys should've given the $25k to SRK instead of the players, like Microsoft.

Wait, what?

Holy crap that shirt is saucy as fuck. If you have any left over for me (you know I can't play as I'll be working), then I'd be happy to pay for it.

Man if Armada faces Mango at evo it'll be the 4th time it has happened in 4 weeks.

I couldn't help but chuckle out loud when I read this. It's so true. I mean, smash finals will be hype, but you really do see the top players play each other on almost a weekly basis.

Twitch needs to get their shit together because cracking under pressure at only 30k viewers on just a SoCal tournament is just pathetic.

Maybe the IGN stream will deliver more consistently? You might miss out of the glory that is chat though.

Anyone else become more of a spectator than player

I'm in this boat. I've always been networking while at Evo, but this is the first time I'm going where I'm not registered or going to play at all. This year, I'm focused 100% on production.

So who's gonna be in Vegas by Wednesday?

Thursday. Although DM me or @ me on Twitter if you want to do something. I'll try to meet up with people as time permits.

Best fighter cover ever.

That special edition cover is glorious.

Really cause Flocker won last year... and 9 out of 10 times when Chris in winners Justin in loser Justin lost. However the time Justin has beaten Chris...

To be fair in GFs the person coming from Losers is at an inherent disadvantage.

It's just better to say that head to head ChrisG has the advantage over Justin.

To put more of a point on this, in the 26 times that Chris and Justin have faced off in top 16 for Marvel (FTW and Ultimate), Chris has won 17 times (65.38%), taking 60/102 games (58.82%).

Also, almost 1/3 of those times (32%), Chris has won 3-1, vs 16% for 3-0 and 20% for 3-2, meaning that when he wins, he generally does it soundly.

Of course, the numbers don't give any insight into how amazing Justin's run through losers last year at Evo was. That was by far one of the best moments of the entire tournament.

And I'm with Dahbomb with wanting to see Justin win at Marvel this year.

LegatoB

For anyone who plays GG why does Ky's Stun Dipper not combo with the second hit? Does it only work on counter-hit?
It's all about how far you use the slide part from. It's kind of hard to get the spacing right, but I usually ballpark it at around the end of standing HS. Not quite max-range for HS.

Tizoc

Due to work and America's backward-ass time, I will miss out on the last 2 days and finals for EVO 2014 T.T
Unless I can get my iPad to work with a specific ISP and watch it during work...but then Twitch will run like molasses still =_=

casperOne

Looking forward to your contribution, whatever it is, and I have no clue what it will be, but I'm sure it will be glorious

Thank you! And I approve of your parroting my use of "glorious".

Note, I've been dropping subtle hints often about what my contribution will be =)

Horseress

Thank you! And I approve of your parroting my use of "glorious".

Note, I've been dropping subtle hints often about what my contribution will be =)

oh damn, I've missed the hints

anyway, dat logo side by side with the Nintendo one...that's really something!

Heihachi(MultiBillionare CEO & Badass), who never liked his bitch ass son Kazuya(cause the mother died in childbirth?), gets really pissed off one day & chucks his son off a cliff & says that if "He really is his son he'll climb back up." Kazuya obviously be a fucking kid is all fucked up and barely survives the fall. Crippled, the Devil comes to him & offers him the power to take revenge on Heihachi for what he did. Kaz makes the deal inherits the "Devil Gene" & proceeds to train and bide his time till Hei decides to throw a world tournament to decide who is the strongest in the world.

Kaz wins tournament #1 tosses Hei off the same cliff he was & takes control of the company.

Heihachi survived though, comes back, wins #2 tosses Kazuya in a Volcano to one up his son, & takes control of the company.

Kazuya knocked Jun during Tekken 2. She has Jin, Jin trains with Hei for tournament #3, wins, but Hei finds out Jin has the Devil Gene too & in fear of a repeat of Kazuya, tries to kill him & fails.

Tekken 4 Kazuya showed up alive somehow rebuilt by Mishima company's biggest rival G Corp. They all fight, Jin wins again. Jacks come & attack & "Kill Heihachi".

Tekken 5, turns out someone locked Heihachi's father in the basement for 50 years. Somehow, he was alive, then he gets possesed by something & breaks free. Since Heihachi is "dead", Jinpachi takes control of the company. Jin wins #5 kills Jinpachi, takes control of the company. Spoilers though, Heihachi didn't die.

Thank you!

If you want to see things from the perspective of Heihachi.....

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=114745
Will read.

Edit: holy wow that was homophobic. Is Heihachi like that in the game?

Those devil Asuka shirts are really nice! Go Tekken.
Hot stuff, no doubt.

Jin makes the Mishima Zaibatsu its own nation and declares war on the world pretending to be a bad guy like when Kazuya did it in Tekken 2. Kazyua runs G-Corp. Jin throws a tournament which basically gets side swiped by the adventures of Lars and Alisa as they travel around doing....stuff until they find Jin. Lars learns he's a mishima. Jin reveals he was JKing and trying to summon the source of the Devil Gene so he can be free from it, he kills it but the ending reveals that he still has the Devil Gene(his cool tattoo).

Bam...
Hmm, but this confuses me a bit. What is the Mishima Zaibatsu?

https://twitter.com/NYChrisG/status/485954675493974016

oh look the psych out is already beginning. guess i'm picking justin to win this year then.
He is so goddamn emo.

100% certain.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The one guy I'm rooting for like always to take EVO is my boy Daigo. So that's Ultra covered for me. Want to see the Japanese Gods wreck shop in general, and hope to see some new characters shine as well, like a Hugo.

I want to see a Fuerte make it far too, just to get on people's nerves - man I love Fuerte.

Marvel, it'll be ChrisG unless people stopped being lazy and actually came up with an anti-Morrigan team/strat and was saving it for EVO.

I do want a varied Top 8 with no Justin, Rog and the like. So many teams and especially characters out there that can really wreck shop, but they don't get to show their massive potential because most go with what's easier and safer.

I hope that I can get the time to just sit in the lab like I used to just to work on things with amazing characters that don't get enough shine like X-23 or Felicia, or characters that aren't amazing yet have something about them like Jill.

Other than Marvel and Ultra, I'll probably check out KI if I can and it doesn't overlap with the other two.

Beckx

EVO week go!

Lot of interesting storylines this year:

How much does the JP headstart on Ultra matter?

They said it would never happen: Nintendo sponsors the biggest fighting game tournament.

Will ChrisG finally break through, or break apart again?

Has Tokido outleveled everyone in KoF?

What new games will be announced, if any?

OceanBlue

Looks like Kyosuke posted a list of all of his noted players for USF4 on his Twitter.

Block A
Block B
Block C
Block D

Infiltration, Xian, Tokido, Dieminion, and Xiaohai are all in Block A lol (not to mention a ton of other people!). Of course, once you divide the pools into fourths in a tournament as stacked as EVO, every block will look dangerous (Justin, Daigo, and Ricky are all in Block D), but Block A seems especially bad :V. This doesn't even count a ton of the potential upsets from some of the less renown players!

The way he organized the list makes it really easy to make fantasy brackets too lol. I'm almost thinking about doing it but I don't have the time.

rCIZZLE

How active is AE on the PC? Thinking about leaving this PSN crap behind in august when ultra comes to steam. Having to refresh about 15 times to find a decent connection is irritating. Even worse is when that 3 green bar account is glitched and I get stuck in the "joining session" screen for 20 seconds before being booted back to the search.

Has Tokido outleveled everyone in KoF?

I don't think that's a question at this point - he already proved he's at least on par with other high level players at the CafeId tournament. The recent 4gamer Round Table that he was a part of also cited that the only other game he's been preparing for besides USF4 is KOF13.

The storyline this year is more along the line of Tokido and Heesam Woo vs. CafeId (remember, Woo did a number on them last year), whether or not Central/South America have any sleepers waiting in the wings, and the lack of presence from 3 of KOF13's biggest hitters (through no fault of their own).

Top Bottom