• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

Just looked at some information on Joe. There's a quote in Viewtiful Joe "Who's the manliest man to ever wear a pink cape?" which confirms it's a pink cape.
Poor translation or something. It's a scarf because it's a Kamen Rider reference, a series that Kamiya is a big fan of.

kick51

Banned
Do you even play Marvel? Have you played a Phoenix team against a competent player in the current metagame? Anything?

No, Karsticles, I have never played UMVC3 in my entire life.

We're pretty far off track for a discussion about how much fire is around her, but the personal attacks and "read dahbomb's list of crap everyone knows about phoenix and the metagame" suggests we won't get any further. There's more to the game then lists of shit. also, yes, I play as much, watch as much, and get as far as you guys in tournaments-- not top 8, not top 16, not top 32, happy to not go 0/2. sheesh.

No, Karsticles, I have never played UMVC3 in my entire life.

We're pretty far off track for a discussion about how much fire is around her, but the personal attacks and "read dahbomb's list of crap everyone knows about phoenix and the metagame" suggests we won't get any further. There's more to the game then lists of shit. also, yes, I play as much, watch as much, and get as far as you guys in tournaments-- not top 8, not top 16, not top 32, happy to not go 0/2. sheesh.
I always respond to argumentative posts with as much effort as the person I am responding to gave me.

This:
Ok, phoenix is perfectly balanced because things that could theoretically happen, got it

Is a piece of shit statement. So I returned the favor.

Dahbomb

Alright just checked some Kamen Rider shit, they wear a scarf so I guess that settles that since Joe is based off of them. Although a lot of sites have it listed as a pink cape so I guess there were some mistranslations on the way.

We're pretty far off track for a discussion about how much fire is around her
The fire projectiles that come out of her attacks is what makes her strong among a few other things. It's what allows her to even fight against sword normal characters.

I am not quite sure what the discussion was or what people would like to be changed on her. I don't think we can even start thinking about changing her before changing the TAC stuff first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Magneto is a special case, because he builds a ton of meter in his combos due to all the Hyper Gravs and j.Hs that are in them. Only a handful of characters can pull that off.

The handful that are played.

I certainly don't think that Phoenix needs any buffs as a character. She has problems and she should, but that doesn't stop a bunch of players use her as a crutch to effectively make it out of pool play and into elimination rounds.

Admittedly, I really don't like fighting against her, and hate seeing her win.

The fire projectiles that come out of her attacks is what makes her strong among a few other things. It's what allows her to even fight against sword normal characters.

I am not quite sure what the discussion was or what people would like to be changed on her. I don't think we can even start thinking about changing her before changing the TAC stuff first.

Dark Phoenix really doesn't need those to fight sword characters. I don't necessarily think they need to be removed, but she's not dependent on them. A character with her movement options, a divekick, giant tracking projectiles, super fast teleport, wallbouncing traps, and invincible projectile super doesn't need much of anything with her damage output.

kick51

Banned
I always respond to argumentative posts with as much effort as the person I am responding to gave me.

This:

Is a piece of shit statement. So I returned the favor.

My apologies if it came off as shitty.

Alright just checked some Kamen Rider shit, they wear a scarf so I guess that settles that since Joe is based off of them. Although a lot of sites have it listed as a pink cape so I guess there were some mistranslations on the way.

It wasn't about the projectiles or anything. I have no problems with the character, aside from feeling like her visual elements could be toned down or just made clearer with better color separation. I was suggesting less fire effects on her character model as a nerf, but honestly, I think it might even help people who play her too. That's all. Maybe my eyes suck lol

Dahbomb

I think they really need to make the visual appearance different for alternate Phoenixes. Like when 2 DPs are active they look too similar.

I don't mind clearing up the visual effects so its easier to see. I just don't think the character should be tinkered with balance wise before system mechanics are fixed.

I think they really need to make the visual appearance different for alternate Phoenixes. Like when 2 DPs are active they look too similar.

I don't mind clearing up the visual effects so its easier to see. I just don't think the character should be tinkered with balance wise before system mechanics are fixed.
The two characters who need their visual effects cleared up the most are Dormammu and Super-Skrull. Those goddamn block bubbles...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The two characters who need their visual effects cleared up the most are Dormammu and Super-Skrull. Those goddamn block bubbles...

I really don't understand the flame carpet hitbubble. There appears to be a magic position where you fucked yourself over... whiffs on crouch, but hits on stand.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Capes are boss. I hope sometime before I die capes come back in style so I can go grocery shopping wearing a cape and shit without people thinking I'm a weirdo or have downs or something.

Cloaks too.

why not just get rid of cross ups
How would this even be possible?

I really don't understand the flame carpet hitbubble. There appears to be a magic position where you fucked yourself over... whiffs on crouch, but hits on stand.
I'm not following you.

Capes are boss. I hope sometime before I die capes come back in style so I can go grocery shopping wearing a cape and shit without people thinking I'm a weirdo or have downs or something.

Cloaks too.
I think you can realistically pull a cloak off these days.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not following you.

If you're in a position directly next to a flame carpet, it will whiff you while you're crouching, so you can't pushblock to get away... and the moment you stand, it actually hits because it's a low and suddenly standing brought you into its hit bubble. It's a relatively minor detail, but it seems to happen to me all the time. It's likely character specific with different distances.

If you're in a position directly next to a flame carpet, it will whiff you while you're crouching, so you can't pushblock to get away... and the moment you stand, it actually hits because it's a low and suddenly standing brought you into its hit bubble. It's a relatively minor detail, but it seems to happen to me all the time. It's likely character specific with different distances.
Oh okay. That's not a Flame Carpet issue, it's a character hitbox issue. When most characters crouch, their horizontal hitbox becomes smaller. When they stand, it becomes wider. It would take a system-wide change to make a difference.

number47

Does anyone know how did the south take Tekken:Revolution?

their opinion matters. since they grind more hours into that game than most of america.

alstein

Does anyone know how did the south take Tekken:Revolution?

their opinion matters. since they grind more hours into that game than most of america.

The folks locally seem to be sticking with TTT2. It's not like Rev is ever going to be a tourney game anyways.

Top Bottom