• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 9-15 | Sponsored by Popeyes

alstein

I wanna see a fighting game based around spellcasting

I know there's fighting games with people doing magic-y shit but I don't think there's been one where the default style is characters going around all Harry Potter shouting I'M A FUCKING WIZARD at each other

Competitive Magicka perhaps, if there is such a thing, or Magical Battle Festa (which sucks)?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The emoji battle was some of the greatest stuff ive seen on this thread
datholdupplayy9ibe3.png

Shouta i'll write your interview for you.

I can guess most of what you would have written anyways. no need for proofreading.

i'll be sure to include the time i got you to 5% hp and you KO'd me with a single ultra from 60% hp Guy.

I can guess most of what you would have written anyways. no need for proofreading.

i'll be sure to include the time i got you to 5% hp and you KO'd me with a single ultra from 60% hp Guy.

I bet you tried to do some dumb tricky stuff with Guy huh

Shouta

For you, it was the saddest day of your life. For me, it was a Tuesday.

And you didn't antiair? smh

To be fair, I get a lot of empty jump Ultras because of my play-style, even on folks that can consistently anti-air, lol.

Uraizen

Banned
You scrubs need to get this game

Played it for a bit and damn it's good stuff from a small indie dev.
Plus one of the characters wears a Tiger Mask and points to the sky whenever he lands his grab super on you, how can that NOT be awesome?

I bought it day 1 and still haven't been able to play it to this day. Let's see if they fixed my issue.

EDIT: Nope.

Shouta

Aren't those Ultras just the best?

Oh yeah, easily the best.

One of the local players was playing me in tournament with Decapre instead of Guile for the first match of our set a few weeks back. He tried to end the round twice with up-back fierce and roundhouse but I managed to empty jump at the right time so both of Decapre's moves whiffed and I landed full U1s for the rest of her life, lol. I almost won the set with a third too but he eeked out a jump with Guile and then came back and beat me. =(

He's a super good Guile though, easily the best after you take Du and Dieminion out of the equation.

Tizoc

I bought it day 1 and still haven't been able to play it to this day. Let's see if they fixed my issue.

EDIT: Nope.

I play with keyboard but the game itself needs more work put into making it more user friendly for rebinding etc.

What's your issue exactly? What error is preventing you from playing?

jerry1594

Man Makoto vs. Twelve... worst matchup ever (Ken/Ryu/Elena/Urien/Yun/Chun close second) They really should have spent less time drawing him a crap ton of frames and used that time to give him actual punishes or something

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Soooo its time for another one of Shaowebb's

Ambiguous Questions about Fighting Games
Today's question is a simple one.

What sort of visual themes do you hope to see used for a character in a fighting game someday?

Cowboys, slime girls, Gundam looking armor...whatever. Just gimmie a description of something you've been hoping to see done as a full on character theme for awhile. Feel free to elaborate if there is an animation or super or some shit that is involved in this design.

Just trying to peg the interests of the community as always.
I've had a couple ideas over the years.

One is just to do something very blatant with the Tron aesthetic. I think it's a really minimal style you can apply to almost literally everything and it will look good. In some ways, I feel like you can manipulate the glow(s) on a character to be an indicator of health (which also ties into me thinking a fighting game with more ambiguous health could be interesting to explore), status effects, installs, etc, and even something that varies from character to character. From the art in Tron: Legacy we've seen the look is quite flexible for both environments and characters as well, and Daniel Simon did a really good job of making it applicable to curvier, more organic shapes. Mix in some fantasy or Neo-Tokyo styles if things are looking too simple.

The other one I don't know how to describe, I just like the use of colour for this game's art. Similar to the Tron style in I guess there is a limited number of colours and strong contrast, but it's just beautiful. Very whimsical/magical. You could have colours in both the environment or character get more intense and saturated as characters do more powerful moves (as soft colours are kind of dominant here but there isn't an absence of stronger colours to offset that).

4r5

Looks like you need UNI-code whatever support turned on..

Haven't played japanese donjon fighting games since windows XP

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
For Lost Fragment incase he doesn't see it from the old thread:

Alright just finished watching the grand finals. damn I'm salty for you bruh.

In the first couple matches, you got hit by every wake up DP and an ultra. Dude was like perfect 4/4 with wakeup DP's. You got a punish with j.HP to end off a round and kept going to it when it wasn't working. What you really should be doing to punish Ibuki's ex.DP on block is by charging a lvl2 focus. It'll absorb the kunai then you can let it rip on her recovery.

Also, whenever the Ibuki didn't have meter, he would back dash a lot. If you don't have the OS's down for BD's, try out st.HK. It's really good at catching backdashes because of how long the active frames are. If not, you can make the hard read with the slide.

Another thing, you don't really go for the mk. Lynx tail. Ibuki got away with some backdashes because you went with the lk. lynx tail mostly which is only one hit. In the corner for pressure it's strong because you can almost do a normal immediately normal then go with the mixup, but at the mid range I go for it a lot.. at least until the other player has proven to me that they can punish it.

I have the same problem getting U2 out too with Elena lol, the input priorities on it are still kinda bugged even though they tried to fix it in the last patch. In a grand finals of a little mini tournament I went to like 2 weeks ago, I dropped her U2 after a knockdown like 3 times :/
still won doe

One more thing, when you FADC the hk. Lynx tail you don't go for the max damage you can get IMO. Going straight into cr.mp x lk. RH then ex. DP is more worth than doing jab x 3 into mk. SS.

You definitely should've won that though, the last match you seemed just really out of it right after you got sucked into the Ibuki vortex. Really tough to go out like that, especially with how many ex.DP's you ate and then ones you didn't punish.

I did learn some things watching you play though, I should probably post some of my Elena matches sometimes and we should trade strats.

Agree on everything except ex upkicks punish. That doesn't work if she doesn't throw a kunai.. Easy punish on that is just to mash mk dp but it's not much damage. You get a full punish if you forward dash so kunai will whiff and react to her dropping to the ground.

I need to work on cr.lp -> cr.mp hit confirms instead of just doing cr.lp xx lynx tail blindly.

Zissou

Ugh, so many answers I could give you. One is simply more characters with unusual elements, like Nu-13's gravity wells and Rachel's wind. Another is characters with multiple forms/stances that actually flow into each other and have some utility (think OOO or Decade in Climax Heroes, but... better).

But what I really think I'm never going to see is some character going full UBW mode Archer (Fate/Stay) or Mifune (Soul Eater). A fuckton of weapons/objects around the arena and the guy seamlessly picking and dropping them for each swing, using it as jumping platforms... shit would be fucking awesome.

You're talking more about playstyle rather than visual elements though.

Marz

He's a super good Guile though, easily the best after you take Du and Dieminion out of the equation.

I dunno about all that. SRM Slinkun (Michigan/Utah Guile) got top 32 at SCR last year.

He has wins vs players like iPeru under his belt.

Dudes a beast.

Top Bottom