• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 9-15 | Sponsored by Popeyes

Azure J

The other one I don't know how to describe, I just like the use of colour for this game's art. Similar to the Tron style in I guess there is a limited number of colours and strong contrast, but it's just beautiful. Very whimsical/magical. You could have colours in both the environment or character get more intense and saturated as characters do more powerful moves (as soft colours are kind of dominant here but there isn't an absence of stronger colours to offset that).

[Duelist Images Here]

Hey thanks for this, I've been looking for something like this for an almost word-to-word reason. I really like that kind of aesthetic/color choice and wonder why I see it all over for other genres but fighters. I was hoping to do something similar to the color warping you're describing with a fighting game design I'm still hammering out that takes major inspirations from Vampire Saviour (specifically, taking a look at how Dark Forces had that stage wide cosmetic effect and making it more of an actual mechanic -- a territory fight a la UNiEL... or Splatoon :p).

WarRock

Capcom should make a new Cyberbots.
Yes.

You're talking more about playstyle rather than visual elements though.
You're right. Dunno, just give me more robots and armored dudes, or at least characters with tons of moving/transforming parts. It's one of the reasons I love Darkstalkers. Hakumen is cool, Hilde is cool, Phobos is fucking awesome.

jbug617

Banned
Chris G got a new team
https://tempostorm.com/articles/nychrisg-combos-with-tempo-storm

LOS ANGELES, 9 March 2015. Tempo Storm is delighted to announce their next venture in eSports: the Fighting Game Community. For years, we absolutely loved what the scene has brought to the table. The energy, passion, and dedication shown by the FGC has been some of the greatest sources of entertainment and inspirational stories the entire industry has to offer.

It is no secret that FGC has struggled in the past. However, since our inception, we have been witnessing its surging comeback from the continual buildup of the EVO tournaments to watching Smash defy Father Time yet again. Last year’s Capcom Pro Tour was a great first step and this year will be even better as Capcom has announced $500,000 in prize money alone!

Chris needs no introduction to the fans of FGC. He is outspoken, daring, and amazingly skilled. Mike Ross calls him a savant. He is arguably one of the best Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (UMVC3) players in the world and an EVO finalist four years in a row. His tournament accomplishments easily dwarf any person who has signed on with the organization. Grabbing him to be part of the team became a must once we began talking about our aspirations together.

“I met Reynad through a friend, and as we talked I quickly learned how he was interested in expanding Tempo Storm into the FGC. At the time I wasn't sponsored. I was looking for a way to travel to events and get into streaming to further my gaming career. We had the same goals in mind and we came to an agreement. I'm happy to say that I'm a part of Tempo Storm!”

--NYChrisG, FGC legend and Twitter fiend

With Street Fighter V in the works for 2016 and the Capcom Pro Tour expanding to become bigger than ever, these are exciting times to start learning more about the FGC if you have not already. Signing Chris is a huge milestone in bringing our organization into a true multi-gaming team.

“The Fighting Game Community shows a genuine passion for their games and has some of the most exciting events and personalities. ChrisG is a hardworking, high caliber player that we're lucky to be working with, and I expect great things from him.”

-- Andrey “Reynad” Yanyuk, CEO and Owner of Tempo Storm

With him playing under our umbrella, as well as our new Heroes of the Storm team moving into their gaming house at the beginning of March, it has been a great 2015 already! We look forward to seeing Chris out in full force. His first appearance under Tempo Storm will be at Final Round 18 later in March in Atlanta.

K.Sabot

Hope this means either Chris G doubles down on Marvel and brings back his final boss status or branches out to other games.

Tempo storm is a way more legit sponsor this time around.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
EMP ChrisG
FC ChrisG
AGE ChrisG
GG ChrisG

And now TS ChrisG.

I know the bigger sponsors are pretty strict with who they sponsor but seeing a MCZ or EG attached to his name just feels right, in terms of skill level. Personality wise, its tough finding a sponsor.

Glad Chris G got a sponsor and will be back to tournaments. Even tho I don't like the guy, he's godlike

Well its not like anyone here likes Horses.
uMW3dcp.png

man, melee players getting real esports sponsor and the rest get scraps outside EG/Madcatz.

Would like to see more esports sponsor just for more exposure. Things like EG sponsoring jwong helps get people who like EG in other games watch the FGC.

TSM Leffen is pretty huge considering how much TSM is in LoL.

Kumubou

Hope this means either Chris G doubles down on Marvel and brings back his final boss status or branches out to other games.

Tempo storm is a way more legit sponsor this time around.
Are they? It looks like they're mainly involved with Hearthstone, but the only sponsors their sites mentions are G2A (who are omega suspect) and Namecheap. Is that really that much better than his other sponsors?... well, anything has to be better than EMP.

EMP ChrisG
FC ChrisG
AGE ChrisG
GG ChrisG

And now TS ChrisG.
That's going to be real confusing, as there's already a team with the shortcode TS.

fader

I know the bigger sponsors are pretty strict with who they sponsor but seeing a MCZ or EG attached to his name just feels right, in terms of skill level. Personality wise, its tough finding a sponsor.

yea, and the way Chris handles his public image is self-destructive which is not helping him get to a bigger sponsor.

K.Sabot

Are they? It looks like they're mainly involved with Hearthstone, but the only sponsors their sites mentions are G2A (who are omega suspect) and Namecheap. Is that really that much better than his other sponsors?... well, anything has to be better than EMP.

That's going to be real confusing, as there's already a team with the shortcode TS.

Reynad himself is pretty huge, Hearthstone's trajectory is way faster than any of the FGC games, and Namecheap is a legit sponsor.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey thanks for this, I've been looking for something like this for an almost word-to-word reason. I really like that kind of aesthetic/color choice and wonder why I see it all over for other genres but fighters. I was hoping to do something similar to the color warping you're describing with a fighting game design I'm still hammering out that takes major inspirations from Vampire Saviour (specifically, taking a look at how Dark Forces had that stage wide cosmetic effect and making it more of an actual mechanic -- a territory fight a la UNiEL... or Splatoon :p).
Yeah, just personally I have a real penchant for the use of soft and warm colours in art and ever since I saw some of orioto's art, my theory fighting game uses a style pretty much exactly like those Duelist images.

MechaX

Well, I wish the best for ChrisG, but to be honest, a lot of the problem with his image before was his own attitude (especially when you're at the point where you're picking joke teams at GF at a big tourney). Let's see what he does differently this time.

game is dead. let it go. on that note, we are playing it at locals tmw. you should fly out for tuesday exvs and wednesday raid

We gotta get the raid on farm first though

What is this Full Boost you speak of?

Man, you can't just abandon anime like that. I bet if I put some fucking Patlabor units in the game, you would get back into that shit

Zissou

Soooo its time for another one of Shaowebb's

Ambiguous Questions about Fighting Games
Today's question is a simple one.

What sort of visual themes do you hope to see used for a character in a fighting game someday?

Cowboys, slime girls, Gundam looking armor...whatever. Just gimmie a description of something you've been hoping to see done as a full on character theme for awhile. Feel free to elaborate if there is an animation or super or some shit that is involved in this design.

Just trying to peg the interests of the community as always.

In general, I love the aesthetic of cyberpunk, and I think it'd definitely be well-suited to a fighting game. You could opt for more 'grounded' cyberpunk and stick to humans, genetically enhanced humans, cybernetically augmented humans, etc. or you could take it further and add in people with telekinetic abilities, genetically-engineered non-humans or whatever. The setting is 'fixed/distinct' enough to provide the game a coherent visual language, it can offer visually cool environments to fight it, and it can offer a lot of variety as far as characters' visual designs and playstyles go.

Basically, listen to this while scrolling through this (slightly NSFW- occasional nudity)

mbpm1

In general, I love the aesthetic of cyberpunk, and I think it'd definitely be well-suited to a fighting game. You could opt for more 'grounded' cyberpunk and stick to humans, genetically enhanced human, cybernetically augmented humans, etc. or you could take it further and add in people with telekinetic abilities, genetically-engineered non-humans or whatever. The setting is 'fixed/distinct' enough to provide the game a coherent visual language, it can offer visually cool environments to fight it, and it can offer a lot of variety as far as characters' visual designs and playstyles go.

I thought they were going for that look when the first SF5 trailers came out.

Alas, it was not to be.

Agree on everything except ex upkicks punish. That doesn't work if she doesn't throw a kunai.. Easy punish on that is just to mash mk dp but it's not much damage. You get a full punish if you forward dash so kunai will whiff and react to her dropping to the ground.

I need to work on cr.lp -> cr.mp hit confirms instead of just doing cr.lp xx lynx tail blindly.
Really? When I practiced the matchup as Rose I believe I was able to punish the exDP with a FA regardless if they kunai or not. Guess I gotta lab it out and see.

Also I need to know which button is the best to beat out a Dhalsim doing a wakeup light slide. I think b~HK would be the option but need to actually test it.
School still on strike, gonna hit up a weekly on Wednesday I guess, been too long.

S T R I K E B O Y Z
You want to team up for the monthly this Saturday breh?

Marvel players should switch over to Heartstone, it's where all the top players for Blizzard's dead games end up

Congrats for Chris, but I feel like he still needs some sort of support other than financially. It never feels like dude has friends or supporters at tournaments, I imagine being so isolated forms a vicious cycle with his personality

lol jchens theory crafted using deadangle to deny the opponent from RC-ing. Not sure how practical or if its old but its cool to see how he just came up with the idea on the spot on stream. He was literally just telling people what were the conditions were to RC and to dead angle

Clawww

In general, I love the aesthetic of cyberpunk, and I think it'd definitely be well-suited to a fighting game. You could opt for more 'grounded' cyberpunk and stick to humans, genetically enhanced humans, cybernetically augmented humans, etc. or you could take it further and add in people with telekinetic abilities, genetically-engineered non-humans or whatever.

I've totally thought about a steam punk fighter. Lots of potential for great characters and lots of visual flair.

NEO0MJ

LOL. While KFC is good, Popeye's is a thousand times better than KFC in comparison.

I was just joking with that comment, Popeye's chicken absolutely destroys KFC. I just love ordering their 4 piece Bonafide with only drumsticks. So heavenly
1qE7M0J.png

Top Bottom