• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 6-12 | Banished from Olympus

56QCw3d.jpg

sephi22

Maybe you should let the Skullgirls thread know.
Those guys wouldn't enter Evo even if they were giving away waifu body pillows like last year's Mai t shirts.

'Hey everybody! Let's dickride this indie title without travelling to tournaments. That would show the FGC our support!'

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This community is all about not what you know but who you know.

And that didn't take long for Marn to fall from grace once again for the umpteenth time. I was wondering to myself how long before the dream is over once someone posted that team picture. It's a shame because if he really played to his potential he could be the greatest there ever was. There was a point where I thought Marn was universally a better player than Justin Wong in general.

So ... is Jaxel Han Solo and his streaming equipment the Millenium Falcon? Fighting forever against the Galactic Empire of the FGC? But who does he turn to now? A lone hand... er glove reaches out to Jaxel and says ... come with me if you want to live. Kappa etc.

alstein

So ... is Jaxel Han Solo and his streaming equipment the Millenium Falcon? Fighting forever against the Galactic Empire of the FGC? But who does he turn to now? A lone hand... er glove reaches out to Jaxel and says ... come with me if you want to live. Kappa etc.

Jaxel deserves better. He's done a lot for VF. I think a free room/venue fee should be the minimum for an official streamer.

sephi22

I feel like being a well known player in the FGC requires 2 things: Skill and personality.

You can have a lot of one and not the other (Chris G has skill, no personality. Gootecks has personality, little skill. Lando's the most well known guy in the FGC who's done nothing). Or you can have a mix of high quantities of both (F. Champ, Yipes, Justin Wong).

But if you're someone who's just got mediocre amounts of both, your popularity is going to plateau. We've seen this happen with Marn, Floe, Sanford, etc. Guys that can be great, but are unable to bridge the skill gap or aren't doing enough stuff on the side to put their name out there. The odd one out of this group is Floe who I think has much better success with his game playthroughs than his performance in tournaments.

Is coin throwing a problem in Injustice too? (haven't played it)
Coin throwing is what got Injustice at EVO (And I have no problem with it).
I don't see why moneyhatting is bad for the community. Companies supporting their games is the best thing you could ask for.

Is coin throwing a problem in Injustice too? (haven't played it)
Your post is only coincidentally brilliant?

It applies to Marvel because KBR made the "throwing coins" analogy.
It applies to Injustice because NRS "threw coin" at MrWizard to get their game at Evo.

I think that "Throwing Coins" is the perfect title.

I feel like being a well known player in the FGC requires 2 things: Skill and personality.

You can have a lot of one and not the other (Chris G has skill, no personality. Gootecks has personality, little skill. Lando's the most well known guy in the FGC who's done nothing). Or you can have a mix of high quantities of both (F. Champ, Yipes, Justin Wong).

But if you're someone who's just got mediocre amounts of both, your popularity is going to plateau. We've seen this happen with Marn, Floe, Sanford, etc. Guys that can be great, but are unable to bridge the skill gap or aren't doing enough stuff on the side to put their name out there. The odd one out of this group is Floe who I think has much better success with his game playthroughs than his performance in tournaments.

Coin throwing is what got Injustice at EVO (And I have no problem with it).
I don't see why moneyhatting is bad for the community. Companies supporting their games is the best thing you could ask for.

having a pretty face also circumvents success in tourneys #TEAMMIKEROSS

sephi22

having a pretty face also circumvents success in tourneys #TEAMMIKEROSS
Actually, you can put Mike Ross in the 'High personality; low skill' or even 'High personality; high skill' category.
He doesn't place but he does pull off some major upsets in tournaments.

Floe is pure personality, dawg.
Yeah. I started doubting myself as soon as I put his name in. I don't see him that much nowadays. He doesn't stream as much as he used to.

Your post is only coincidentally brilliant?

It applies to Marvel because KBR made the "throwing coins" analogy.
It applies to Injustice because NRS "threw coin" at MrWizard to get their game at Evo.

I think that "Throwing Coins" is the perfect title.

Also next gen doesn't start for fighting games until Nintendo says so...which will no doubt involve the chucking of coins in some new platform or adventure game.

Also next gen doesn't start for fighting games until Nintendo says so...which will no doubt involve the chucking of coins in some new platform or adventure game.
Can you tell me what you are referencing?

Edit: Oh, I thought it was an important, official, or informed source.

Guys that one Nintendo E3 rumor list from that one thread that talked about Capcom and fighting games is clearly leading up to Nintendo vs Capcom

Believe

Guys that one Nintendo E3 rumor list from that one thread that talked about Capcom and fighting games is clearly leading up to Nintendo vs Capcom

Believe
Until Capcom says otherwise, I'll count any and all fighting games under the "stuff we canned due to DmC" announcement. No Darkstalkers, no Capcom All-Stars, and no Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Though a hunter from Monster Hunter would be BOSS in Smash Bros. The Greatsword charge fits in perfectly for a smash attack. Final Smash? Rathalos...

Until Capcom says otherwise, I'll count any and all fighting games under the "stuff we canned due to DmC" announcement. No Darkstalkers, no Capcom All-Stars, and no Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Though a hunter from Monster Hunter would be BOSS in Smash Bros. The Greatsword charge fits in perfectly for a smash attack. Final Smash? Rathalos...
That would be the dumbest cancellation this industry has seen in a while.

Also, no one in their right mind thinks that NvC could actually happen, right?

sephi22

But Smash isn't a fighting game.

But joking aside, here's something Scytheavatar probably doesn't realize.
Smash, outside NA and JP, isn't as hot as you guys might think.

I've grown up in India, and the Middle East. I'm also friends with a lot of FG players in Pakistan.
No one I know has ever owned a Nintendo console that had a Smash game on it, or ever played a Smash game outside of emulators (and I'm the only one I know who did that).

Pre-SF4, Tekken was selling a lot. Yes. I can vouch for that. I bought T5 and T5 DR. But saying that Smash was responsible for keeping the fighting game community alive is a stretch.

I only recently came to USA, and during my first FG meetup at USC, we had a 60-40 split of Smash players vs. players of other fighting games. While me and about 7 other guys played Marvel, we had a bunch of people, both guys and girls, that played Melee the whole night.

The other side of the coin is making smash-like games to appeal to smash players, and we all know how that worked out for PSABR.
So yes, Smash is the most popular fighting game, but I don't find a lot of overlap between most of the smash community and the 'pure' FG community. Its not like companies don't try to pander to them. Games like Marvel are as easy as anything else to get into, but Smash fans just love smash games.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's true.

Nintendo hates them.

Majority of the people who play Smash games hate them with a fuck all burning passion "waah tourney no items no fun people"

i hate them

alstein

Capcom might can Darkstalkers, they won't can SF or Marvel.

sephi22

Do you guys think we're going to see another Marvel game in the next 10 years?
MvC3 was like a dream come true when it was announced.

But I feel like it didn't do as good as the suits at Capcom wanted.

Top Bottom