• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just asked Flux who he thinks is the best EM Disruptah player and he said MastaCJ and Neo.

I approve.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I feel like BlazBlue's combos are so static. Like, there are clearly only certain moves that link together. By the time it comes to the USA, the JP players have all the best combos figured out already.

Yeah the combo system isn't as open as the VS series but there are still lots of little resets or tricks here and there to figure out for optimal positioning and so on. I've always viewed BB like a fusion of GG and SF concepts. Though cp is looking more towards the GG side of things now.

WTF @ that PSASBR BOMBA thread.

What happened with that game? I thought there was immense hype around this game.

Thread is full of bitter people of who didnt get a character they wanted in it and smash bros fans that think it's smash bros *outside of mascots fighting and 4 players on a 2d plane and rolling the similarities pretty much end there*

So those people are glad it's doing bad

Dahbomb

I just asked Flux who he thinks is the best EM Disruptah player and he said MastaCJ and Neo.

I approve.
dTVKL.gif

I never heard anybody say it would do well. The only question was how long before it is free on PS+
So why was that then? Was it too much of a rip off of Smash Bros or did DmC Dante piss off too many people?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The bomba thread for PSAS is just for EU, though. I'll wait until we get NPD stuff to decide if it bombed.
Yup. American market is what matters most for most games, and can often differ a lot from the EU market.

I still think it will be a flop though. Game still feels super under the radar. Seth's justification is dumb.

EDIT: Oh shit, shots fired at FChamp.

It really is, game needs more marketing. That's the only issue.

I think the issue is it needs a market. It doesn't appeal to me as a fighting game. The art style? No, character choice? No. Nostalgia factor? No.

I wish it all the best, but who exactly is meant to buy it?

I will gladly take that game for free from PS+.

And that is the other big problem. Lack of appeal aside, I would give it a go and I know it will be free, lbp style. So no real need to buy it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I will gladly take that game for free from PS+.

Maybe in 6 months :p

I think the issue is it needs a market. It doesn't appeal to me as a fighting game. The art style? No, character choice? No. Nostalgia factor? No.

Fans of characters in the game? I bought it alone for Ratchet. Everyone else I enjoy a ton and have not a single issue with them well new dante should be old dante but eh he would of played the same still.

WTF @ that PSASBR BOMBA thread.

What happened with that game? I thought there was immense hype around this game.
The same thing that happens with just about all of Sony's new IPs this gen. They start small and they usually improve sales-wise after a couple of sequels. Hopefully that is the case for All stars.
Yeah each character is very different, so it takes a big investment to learn one and then learn the match ups.
This sounds like any other fighting game. You mean it takes a big investment because you become entrenched in a particular playstyle out of more than a dozen completely different ones.

Usually the BB complaints aren't about the matchups. It is about the characters being too specialized for people to branch out often.
Rachel's cool. I just feel like BB has something against chipping people down. Like, all the keepaway in the game is really just a stepping stone to rushing, especially with Rachel. It's not quite what I have in mind. If I could play any character well, it would be Arakune, but I can't do any of his bug crap, and that's the whole point of the character. -_-

Plus IIRC Rachel was C tier in the version I bought and played, and there's no way in hell I'm taking the time to master a C tier character that's only somewhat enjoyable for me.
That danger mode is no joke. I often wonder if it would be a good idea to take away the danger penalty for designated zoners. I think it could be a fun idea that opens up zoning for those who truly want that playstyle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's a game stuck between markets, trying to have broad appeal and trying to appeal to the hardcore too, with no good compromise.

Also the supers to kill thing is weird as fuck and not as intuitive as a straightforward interpretation of health, be it a life bar or percentage chance of you getting bodied on next hit. The game tries to hard to stand out, but it doesn't really find it's calling. The entire game just feels so manufactured and uninspired.

Infinite

And that is the other big problem. Lack of appeal aside, I would give it a go and I know it will be free, lbp style. So no real need to buy it.

Pretty much feel the same although I'm excited for Kat but she's DLC and is not available yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's a game stuck between markets, trying to have broad appeal and trying to appeal to the hardcore too, with no good compromise.

Also the supers to kill thing is weird as fuck and not as intuitive as a straightforward interpretation of health, be it a life bar or percentage chance of you getting bodied on next hit. The game tries to hard to stand out, but it doesn't really find it's calling. The entire game just feels so manufactured and uninspired.

Supers to kill is weird at first but honestly it really does work. Specially once you learn how to bait reset and combo into them

So the alpha series is all the same game?

the VS series is the same up to mvc2?

Mk series is the same up til 4?

lol ok
Few tweaks and systems changes is probably one of dumbest things Ive heard. You could say that for CS1 through EX but not for ct to cs and ex to cp

I consider Alpha 1 to be Alpha 0.5 and MSvsSF to be so crap that it doesn't exist. But Alpha 3 and MvC1 are very different from the previous games, different enough to be considered a new game.

So why was that then? Was it too much of a rip off of Smash Bros or did DmC Dante piss off too many people?

Rip off of Smash Bros, highly questionable roster (Raiden instead of Snake, DmC Dante instead of White haired Dante), hypers mandatory to kill, lots of people complaining about how bad the beta was, the whole "LOL causals, let's make a game that will be played at EVO" attitude that Seth pushed for, basically the game has been doomed since day 1. Reminds me a lot of SFxT really, they should have spent more time coming up with a compelling design on paper before making the game.

Supers to kill is weird at first but honestly it really does work. Specially once you learn how to bait reset and combo into them
I don't like the idea of someone who sucks powering up my opponents. I could barely handle that in DotA. Plus the "you miss, lost bar" prospect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You think the average person will stick around long enough until it feels alright?

I haven't played the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I consider Alpha 1 to be Alpha 0.5 and MSvsSF to be so crap that it doesn't exist. But Alpha 3 and MvC1 are very different from the previous games, different enough to be considered a new game.

If Alpha 3 and MvC1 are different enough then CP is more than different enough.

I don't like the idea of someone who sucks powering up my opponents. I could barely handle that in DotA. Plus the "you miss, lost bar" prospect.
That sucks yeah, throws drain meter though as do items. Those help negate a shitty player.

You get punished for whiffing big moves in every game.

You think the average person will stick around long enough until it feels alright?

I haven't played the game.

The average person doesn't stick around in any fighting game and not like TTT2 does not have its own sales related problems.

Still all-stars will be at EVO right? So it still has more chance to grow then some.

Dahbomb

I wasn't interested in PSASBR because I was not a Smash-head. People around me played it, I just watched. Characters were too small, I can't make out what they are doing half the time especially when the camera zooms out. Never really understood the whole ring out system either.

The characters however appealed to me. I wanted to play as Kratos, Raiden, Nariko and Dante (yes yes insert sword normals joke).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Most fighting games are great to play in their natural forms. Playing or spectating them competitively changes things.

Chavelo

To me the chances of all-stars being at EVO is about equal to the chances of SFxT being at EVO, think even SFxT has more love than all-stars ATM.

SFxT was at EVO last year.... :3

Sony sponsors EVO. They'll put in the pot money. You're silly if you think it's not going to be there.

Actually, you're just a silly poster in general, scytheavatar. :D

Chavelo

Do you think it will be at EVO this year? And you are not understanding how EVO works or even how sponsors work if you think you can buy your way into the EVO lineup easily.

MK was there last year too, homie...

The biggest pot? Provided by WB. :p

Shit, you think EVO is made of "pure incorruptible" folk that do it for the "community"? Come on, son. Business is business.

Tizoc

Do you think it will be at EVO this year? And you are not understanding how EVO works or even how sponsors work if you think you can buy your way into the EVO lineup easily.

As someone who likes SFxT and is atm my FGotY...nope it won't make it to EVO 2013.
This IMO is what games would be at EVO this year:
KoF XIII
SSF4
UMvC3
TTT2
Persona 4 Arena
DoA5
Skullgirls
Injustice(?)
Smash Bros. Melee
$ony Smash Brands(?)

Dahbomb

Pretty much my exact response.

Justin and Flocker are melodramatic.
Justin can at least complain because his team gets bodied by Chris's team. All 3 characters on Flocker's team can deal with Chris' team... he needs more experience against Chris to beat him. Like I said... not a single fuck was given.

Chris Genius : Fanatiq has the better Magneto between him and RayRay because Fanatiq's Magneto does work.

That Storm + Dante player in the background is more interesting than this twitter talk.

MK was there last year too, homie...

The biggest pot? Provided by WB. :p

Shit, you think EVO is made of "pure incorruptible" folk that do it for the "community"? Come on, son. Business is business.

MK was there because their community is strong and they have been able to give consistent turnouts at majors. They are still giving consistent turnouts at majors, so don't be surprised to see MK9 to still be played in the upcoming EVO. If Injustice isn't out by then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MK was there because their community is strong and they have been able to give consistent turnouts at majors. They are still giving consistent turnouts at majors, so don't be surprised to see MK9 to still be played in the upcoming EVO. If Injustice isn't out by then.
I still think turnout is the most important factor in what becomes an EVO game, and I don't have high hopes for PSABR in that regard, especially within the FGC.

kirblar

It really is, game needs more marketing. That's the only issue.
It's more than that. This game was focused on, according to Seth, not at casual players, but at competitive Smasher-types. They had it completely backwards. The 4-player party mode IS the default mode you should be concentrating on.

Justin can at least complain because his team gets bodied by Chris's team. All 3 characters on Flocker's team can deal with Chris' team... he needs more experience against Chris to beat him. Like I said... not a single fuck was given.

I don't even think Wolvie/Akuma loses to Chris's team, Noel proved how effective it is at beating the Soul Fists. And Justin has beaten Chris before at WB and he was able to kill Morrigan 3 times at UFGT. The problem is that they pick characters like Storm and Wesker to end up with a team that's completely free to a good Doom player, and they have no rights to complain about that. If anything Flocker has more rights to complain because his team has a harder time getting past the Soul Fists than Wolvie/Akuma.

It's more than that. This game was focused on, according to Seth, not at casual players, but at competitive Smasher-types. They had it completely backwards. The 4-player party mode IS the default mode you should be concentrating on.

Essentially Seth is your typical SRK theory fighter who thinks he knows everything about fighting games and knows what is the perfect fighting game when in reality he knows nothing about making a good video game in the first place.

Top Bottom