• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

They've cleaned up a lot of things about the game in CP. Hitstop reduction makes it play faster, no stupid guard primers, the "Burst or X-Factor" mechanic is actually a really cool way of keeping Burst from being dumb and defensive.

But no release date yet?

soakrates

Creative probably too general of a word too, I mean the kind exploitation and combining of every aspect of the game, character and engine. Outside of the box and outside of the capabilities of the character in isolation. You have to create or build something new to even keep up in Marvel. I guess the use of all of your tools is analogous in other games, but it's a lot different in Marvel where you have to combine assists and characters and constantly refine the synergy of your team.
Constantly creating and adapting to new strats to stay competitive is true of any game that is new, as Marvel 3 still pretty much is. If history is any indicator, optimal strategies will get figured out sooner or later and top players will have to start trimming the fat. Also, plenty of other games have variables outside of character matchups that can affect the outcome of a match. In 3D games, some characters get a massive boost from being on stages with walls or edges, and even then, the amount of advantage they get depends on the size of stage, how many walls or edges there are and so on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I hate double tapping to dash. Are they getting rid of that? :-/

What is changing in BBCP (from SEX to CP, I swear) that makes it seem toned down to you?

I'll probably wait for BlazBlue 2, regardless.

Jokes on you CS was BB2, CP is BB3

All new backgrounds, all new songs*remixed*, Guard system completely changed now some moves just cause guard crush no more guard meter break meter, Combos in general are higher damage/shorter, hold button recovery from P4A added, 4 new characters, new moves, hit pause delay shortened to speed the game up, and so on.

I doubt they will ever get rid of double tap to dash it's a staple of arcsys fighters, and its not a big deal because they are well runs and air dashes *air dash you can cheat and fuse it with your jump input anyways* Where stuff like marvel you have to tap down with the dash to get distance off it.

All new backgrounds, all new songs*remixed*, Guard system completely changed now some moves just cause guard crush no more guard meter break meter, Combos in general are higher damage/shorter, hold button recovery from P4A added, 4 new characters, new moves, hit pause delay shortened to speed the game up, and so on.
I thought they said in an interview that they're working on BB2, and that's why they keep adding subtitles. Or maybe I had it wrong, and it's BB3 they're working on.

I like those changes, though. I'll keep an eye on the series. I want some good new characters, though. Not this...stuff.

I hate double tapping to dash. Are they getting rid of that? :-/

What is changing in BBCP (from SEX to CP, I swear) that makes it seem toned down to you?

I'll probably wait for BlazBlue 2, regardless.
What

BlazBlue's sequels are pretty much defined by the huge jumps in stories from one to the next and the characters/changes that come with it. CS was a completely new game with several new characters, hundreds of new lines, new art and huge balance changes. CS2 was a free update and Extend was just UMvC3 without the huge amount of new characters. If you didn't touch CS2 or Extend then you are in for at least five(maybe six if Kokonoe makes it) new characters, new art, new audio, Vsav style Dark Force and a complete reduction in the horrible hitstop that plagued the other BBs.
I read that as a Skullgirls eulogy.
Maybe for more than just Skullgirls.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I thought they said in an interview that they're working on BB2, and that's why they keep adding subtitles. Or maybe I had it wrong, and it's BB3 they're working on.

I like those changes, though. I'll keep an eye on the series. I want some good new characters, though. Not this...stuff.

idk Az seems pretty cool :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JemXBqyTrQA#t=181s

Woops I left out the fact they added Xfactor to the game, you either get a defensive burst or the offensive option, the lower life you have the longer it last. In BBCP it buffs up your character based on their primary tools.

Overdrive Descriptions
Ragna: Blood Kain Idea -
Jin: Frost End - Yukianesa attacks freeze the opponent.
Noel: Chain Quasar - Increases speed of Drive moves.
Rachel: Elf Lied - Wind Meter charges faster.
Taokaka: Almost Becoming Two -
Tager: Voltic Field - Forces magnetism on opponent.
Litchi: Daisharin - Move the staff with Direction + D.
Arakune: Crimson Depths - Curse meter doesn't drain while active.
Bang: Furinkazan -
Carl: Synchro High Speed - Nirvana is strengthened.
Hakumen: Kishin - Magatama charge faster, can cancel D attacks into Specials, cannot Crush Trigger.
Tsubaki: Second Install - Install Gauge automatically charges.
Hazama: Jormangund - Drive attacks are stronger, gains Life Steal ring.
Makoto: Galaxian Impact - All Drive moves are Level 3.
Valkenhayn: Endlos Volf - Wolf Gauge charges much faster.
Platinum: Magical Heart Catch - Unlimited use of current item.
Relius: Maxima Dance - Ignis gauge recharges faster.
Amane: Cyclone - All Drive attacks are max level.
Bullet: Heat the Beat - Permanent "Heat Up" state while active.
Azrael: Mind Colosseo - All attacks act act as though they'd hit weak points.

Infinite

I doubt they will ever get rid of double tap to dash it's a staple of arcsys fighters, and its not a big deal because they are well runs and air dashes *air dash you can cheat and fuse it with your jump input anyways* Where stuff like marvel you have to tap down with the dash to get distance off it.

Favorite change is the hit pause delay time shortening, as it was originally it made the game excruciating. Did they make Tsubaki competitive?

Sword sisters?
Amane seems a bit like Dhalsim mixed with Rose
I tried Nu, and the sword guessing is just so...eh. I feel like my swords aren't covering the ground they need to. I never tried Mu because I got tired of learning characters and ending up not liking them. I ended up playing Tager because I didn't have to dash with him (lol).

Could always check out amane stuff, he's pretty much dhalsim with combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77XFJaYImjA#t=5m48s
Let's just say Amane doesn't blend with me aesthetically.

That and Axl.

Also, I wanted to mention Rachel, but I have the feeling she doesn't gel with him aesthetically.
Rachel's cool. I just feel like BB has something against chipping people down. Like, all the keepaway in the game is really just a stepping stone to rushing, especially with Rachel. It's not quite what I have in mind. If I could play any character well, it would be Arakune, but I can't do any of his bug crap, and that's the whole point of the character. -_-

Plus IIRC Rachel was C tier in the version I bought and played, and there's no way in hell I'm taking the time to master a C tier character that's only somewhat enjoyable for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Arakune's bug stuff is really easy once you get the grasp of how it works with the negative edging.

Basicly the bugs only come out when you let go of a button. You can probably muscle memory it down in about 15 minutes. They made him a bit more simple in CP as well *no more timer for curse it only drains based on the bugs you use*

Arakune's bug stuff is really easy once you get the grasp of how it works with the negative edging.

Basicly the bugs only come out when you let go of a button. You can probably muscle memory it down in about 15 minutes. They made him a bit more simple in CP as well *no more timer for curse it only drains based on the bugs you use*
I mean bug combos. I can mash and get bugs to come out just fine. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I see it more as CT is BB 0.5, CS is BB1 and CP is BB1.5. Think you need to add more than a few tweaks and system changes to be considered a new game.

So the alpha series is all the same game?

the VS series is the same up to mvc2?

Mk series is the same up til 4?

lol ok
Few tweaks and systems changes is probably one of dumbest things Ive heard. You could say that for CS1 through EX but not for ct to cs and ex to cp

I mean bug combos. I can mash and get bugs to come out just fine. :p

lol yeah that's where the negative edging comes into play, you gotta hold down some buttons and let go later during parts of combos

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watching MastaCJ play is so fucking emotional.

EDIT: Lol he eliminated Flux. MastaCJ is inconsistent as fuck even within a game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah and screw learning those. I hate learning combos.

*shrug* he only has like 2 bug combos. Your last sentence is funny though cause you enjoy marvel
Kappa.png

Infinite

Q how's Hazama now? I wanted to play him initially since he looks so fucking cool but I didn't have the patience at all to learn him and I eventually stopped caring about the game anyway once the revisions came out. Is he a lot more approachable?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Q how's Hazama now? I wanted to play him initially since he looks so fucking cool but I didn't have the patience at all to learn him and I eventually stopped caring about the game anyway once the revisions came out. Is he a lot more approachable?

He's always looked harder to play than he really is. Once you get his movement down his core gameplay is pretty easy. This version of him is looking really fucking good as well but that could just because he's still almost the same character as his extend version just with some new tools.

Dormammu to Vergil:

"I see much more potential in you than your brother..."

Aww yyyeeeaa
Why do you think I'm cool with Vergil? ;-)

*shrug* he only has like 2 bug combos. Your last sentence is funny though cause you enjoy marvel
Kappa.png
Marvel has pretty free-flowing combos, though. When I'm messing with stuff in Marvel, I feel like I'm testing out what my character can do. Or, more accurately, what my team can do. With BlazBlue, I'm just trying to memorize a list of inputs. It sucks.

ChrisG's practicing Zero.
I want him to shove that buster up Flocker's behind.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Marvel has pretty free-flowing combos, though. When I'm messing with stuff in Marvel, I feel like I'm testing out what my character can do. Or, more accurately, what my team can do. With BlazBlue, I'm just trying to memorize a list of inputs. It sucks.

This is pretty much how I feel in bb though. I guess it just depends on if you synergize/enjoy the game to begin with. :lol

Kellen

I've never played BB before but I remember someone saying it's one of the tougher fighting games to pick up. Is that true?

This is pretty much how I feel in bb though. I guess it just depends on if you synergize/enjoy the game to begin with. :lol
I feel like BlazBlue's combos are so static. Like, there are clearly only certain moves that link together. By the time it comes to the USA, the JP players have all the best combos figured out already.

AE is 75% off on steam for the next 14 hours ($9.99 or $13.49 for all DLC)

I've never played BB before but I remember someone saying it's one of the tougher fighting games to pick up. Is that true?

Yeah each character is very different, so it takes a big investment to learn one and then learn the match ups.

Top Bottom