• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Partial but present.

ig01b0HGws2hK.gif

Chibits12

Banned
Chiming in, I'm one. Just ate a goat at a birthday party Saturday night.

Used to be from Laguna but I'm now in Maryland. Can still speak Tagalog so watching TFC shows are awesome.

isual

Born in the Philippines...grew up in Las Piñas.
I don't follow local celebrities...but wow, Jaya's niece is a gaffer! Who knew?

Visit white sand beaches. Boracay is the popular destination.
Swim with 'butandings' (whale sharks). Sorsogon is the place for that.
I'm headed to Boracay next month.

I don't know much about the cockfights, but it's legal, I remember watching fights on TV as a kid. "Sabong" would be the Filipino word for it.

HOY! LAS pinas din ako man!

I'd hang out in RFC and buy video games from the second floor, go out sometimes to SM mall. I lived in happyville subdivision, cheerful street!!!

Chojin

It's no secret that I'm half Filipino. Mom is from Angeles. I go back to PI every 3 years or so. I feel more home there than the states. And no its not because of the royal treatment Filams get. (It really is because of that)

But my fiance is full. And she just got here 3 weeks ago via a K-1 Fiance visa!

TIME TO MAKE MORE FLIPS!

AceOcelot

Full Pinoy checkin' in!
Born in Virginia, lived here my whole life. Even going to college in here.

I miss my mom's food.. so so much.

hobz360

PUTANGINA MGA KABABAYAN MUSTA!

I'm in the SF bay area if any of you are here, PM me and lets kick it !

Haha now that is how you make first impression, hayop ka tol lol

I'll be up north for Thanksgiving but won't have much time to go out because of all the Pinoy family parties....

Pachimari

HOY! LAS pinas din ako man!

I'd hang out in RFC and buy video games from the second floor, go out sometimes to SM mall. I lived in happyville subdivision, cheerful street!!!
This reminded me of SM and Mall of Asia which are the best malls ever. I get so happy there every time. But I really love the countryside, Ilocos feels like my second home.

These are the books I'm using:

They're the only books I could get through the library, so they are by no means the best out there. I'm sure there are more well known ones out there too.

As for apps, I use Anki:

http://ankisrs.net/

It has a mobile app so you can do the flashcards on your phone/tablet as well as on your computer. There are ''shared decks'' of flashcards people have already made, or you can make your own. I've just been using the available ''shared decks'' so far to learn what it claims are the most used words in Tagalog.

I've also used this program in the past before I got the books, but I don't remember how many words or phrases are available for free. I'm guessing not that many. It was really great to hear the pronunciation etc however, so I would recomend checking out the free parts:

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-tagalog-software-download.html?l=tagalog filipino
Wow, we are using the exact same book. I'm also using Basic Tagalog by Paraluman S. Aspillera. I think I bought in one of those book stores in SM. how far are you with it?

hyp

full flip. born and raised in northern Cali (2nd gen). love Filipino culture but it's gossipy as fuck. pisses me off. can't speak worth shit but can understand most casual convos. can't say it defines me much since I'm more American culturally but there are definitely parts of my Filipino side that seem to make people feel real comfortable with me. best of both worlds I suppose.

Filipino GAF,

What's up with dudes with shotguns guarding some of your stores? Made me feel a little nervous.

I noticed different pat-downs of people at the malls. We were all Aussies but my half Filipino friend got the full treatment each time, while myself and the another guy got through with a tap on the back. The two girls we were with usually got waved through no worries.

I assumed it was because we looked like foreigners it wasn't likely we'd be carrying arms around.

Poyunch

So I was fully Americanized and I'm first-generation. I can't speak the regional dialect of my family or Tagalog. But hey, I love Filipino food. Bring on the adobo and sinigang.

ghostmind

I was married to a Filipina (from the NCR) for about a decade, and my son is half. I used to be spend a lot of time with the extended family, so I know some Tagalog and can cook my favorite dishes (pork adobo, tocino, kaldereta).

Tekniqs

Filipino guys can't pull other races :(
It's only Filipino women that I see with others lol

eh..last few women I've been with have been Italian, Mexican, caucasian, caucasian......

"light sorta dark, short sorta tall
slim kinda thick, i swear i love them all"

lol

will be going to the Philippines this holiday season...excited!

hey guiz i think filipino food is overrated

...except dinuguan

GTFO! jk! Love me some Filipino food. Sinigang na baka or sinigang na hipon is THE BUSINESS! Anyone here ever try sinigang na sardinas? When I was in the PI for my BSN, none of my classmates ever had it..they thought I was making stuff up. Seemed to be something only the people around my town made. it's so freaking good though

sca2511

Born there, moved the states when I was really young. I'm not all excited or proud of my ethnicity like some other Filipinos I know. That being said, the food is good.

DonMigs85

What the flying F. My dad used to work for the Aranetas for years and will likely forever hate his boss (except for the Fores side).

I'm on the Gregorio Araneta side. The Roxas/Fores side are another branch descended from the 2nd Araneta brother who came here from Spain, so they're like distant cousins to us. My mom is close pals with many of them though.

Bullza2o

I was born there, then moved to the US when I was 8.

I recently visited the Philippines for the first time after 8 years and I was surprised at how it changed so much. So many new buildings, establishments, Korean signs/businesses (lol), MOA etc and I got to ride in an aircon Jeep! I'm from Bacoor by the way. And of course, the usual jam-packed traffic was very nostalgic haha.

I also got to visit Bicol and was even more taken back as not there's lots of awesome stuff to do in Legaspi and around Naga. CWC, Lignon Hill, Embarkadero, and I wish I went to Caramoan (where they taped Survivor) but I ran out of time.

kagete

I'm on the Gregorio Araneta side. The Roxas/Fores side are another branch descended from the 2nd Araneta brother who came here from Spain, so they're like distant cousins to us. My mom is close pals with many of them though.

Woah you're old money. My dad used to do IT for the Araneta Center and Pizza Hut and I was always hanging around his office every night and drinking with him and his officemates 3 to 5 times a week. I'm not going to lie, J. Araneta treated us poors like shit, and the stories I'd heard while drinking with his top 2 lawyers made my blood run cold. I always thought his behavior couldn't possibly be real until he showed it to my dad... Anyway I hope you're nothing like that person at all. Peace.

Pachimari

Can I ask the local Filipinos what it is that make you go flash your pinoy pride? I hear it from all Filipinos that they are oh so proud of it. And now a Filipino guy I have met is even having a Facebook group inviting me in but I have no interest in such a group - he went on to share it publicly on my wall lol. Just out of curiosity. :)

By the way I love Filipino foods, all of it.

Also another thing I have noticed is that Filipinos seem to be VERY social, like they have to go out every day and won't understand if one want to stay at home and relax - at least that have been the case with most of my exes who were here in Denmark.

Tekniqs

I honestly never got caught up in that whole Pinoy Pride or "AZN pride" or none of that bullshit. I really only seen that in high school; perhaps they were trying to find their place in life/society as pretty much all teenagers do.

I do have the 3 stars and the sun on the windshield of my motorcycle. I am proud of where I'm from, but I don't shout it out to the world.

I'm actually the exact opposite of your last statement haha. I am very social but I don't like going to bars/clubs/etc. I'd much rather chill with a few friends at home than go out to mingle with random strangers.

DonMigs85

Woah you're old money. My dad used to do IT for the Araneta Center and Pizza Hut and I was always hanging around his office every night and drinking with him and his officemates 3 to 5 times a week. I'm not going to lie, J. Araneta treated us poors like shit, and the stories I'd heard while drinking with his top 2 lawyers made my blood run cold. I always thought his behavior couldn't possibly be real until he showed it to my dad... Anyway I hope you're nothing like that person at all. Peace.

Oh we're not rich, don't worry. Nobody in my immediate or extended family right now actually has any connections to the established Araneta business interests.

Tito J. or Nene was known to be a spoiled child and he can be very ruthless and penny-pinching. Only Tita Baby Fores seems to be kind.

hyp

Can I ask the local Filipinos what it is that make you go flash your pinoy pride? I hear it from all Filipinos that they are oh so proud of it. And now a Filipino guy I have met is even having a Facebook group inviting me in but I have no interest in such a group - he went on to share it publicly on my wall lol. Just out of curiosity. :)

Also another thing I have noticed is that Filipinos seem to be VERY social, like they have to go out every day and won't understand if one want to stay at home and relax - at least that have been the case with most of my exes who were here in Denmark.

might have something to do with Manny Pacquiao. he took Filipino pride to the next level. for the most part, the flips I hang with keep it pretty tame. not much pride flashing at all.

Quick

Banned
Heres a good article about Pinoy Pride. I don't agree with all of it but he does make alot of good points.

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2012/09/how-to-explain-pinoy-pride-to-a-foreigner/

This article pretty much sums up what I feel. Especially both the inferiority complex and collective achievement points.

I had zero clue that there was some sort of fight between who was better between Charice and Jessica Sanchez. I didn't know who either one was until someone told me about the two of them some time ago.

On another note, I've only just realized that I talk about the Philippines a lot to my non-Filipino friends. I mention something, the subject comes up, and my friends quickly ask about it. I'm trying to keep discussion of it to a minimum. Not because I'm ashamed of living there, or something, but because I don't want to fall into this "Pinoy pride" thing. Not that I exaggerate about the country, but it's coming up more and more often.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I just learned the Chicken Nut Bread joke.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm white as can be, but my dad was enlisted Navy and we lived in San Diego, so... lol.
Mom graduated from a nursing program here, too.
I lost touch with all the Filipinos I knew, especially when I moved to L.A. for a while.

Because Filipinos rarely ever get glory.

How the hell did I miss this thread? :O

Haha, so true it's hilarious. I only bring it up when I'm asked, but usually in a mocking-like way. I'm definitely proud of my heritage, but I don't have to bring it up over and over and over again like some of my family and others I know. It does get really annoying at times as well, especially when someone famous happens to be Filipino or partially Filipino. Can't even count how many times my mom or dad has mentioned so-and-so person being Filipino like Bruno Mars or Nicole Sherzinger. It's all good though. Let them be proud. :)

goober said:
Filipino guys can't pull other races :(
It's only Filipino women that I see with others lol

You're not trying hard enough. :p I've only been out with one Filipina. The rest have been either American Caucasian, Hispanic, French, or German. My wife is one of the palest British lasses here.

But yeah, I was born in Makati and moved to the states when I was 3, so I'm basically first-gen Filipino American. Initially lived in Virginia until the fam decided to move to Los Angeles where I stayed until after my second year of college at UC Irvine when I joined the Army (a week before 9/11, yay). Lived in Germany for a couple years when I was stationed there, met the wife, moved back to the states for a bit afterwards and then am now in the UK as a game designer. :)

Granted I can cook all types of Filipino food, I really miss going to West Covina and pigging the fuck out there. There's damn near nothing around here in Sheffield aside from a little Filipino shop that sells sinigang and kare kare packets with the occasional longanisa and tocino. :(

And everybody who says Jollibee is the best is fucking crazy. xD

Pachimari

We should share some of our photographies from the Philippines. I could start out when I get back home. Seeing as this is turning into a general Philippines thread anyway.

Also I don't agree with the notion, that Filipino guys can't pull other races. I actually don't believe in those races things. Though I totally prefer Filipina girls, so I wouldn't have a problem lol. Anyway, seeing as all of my relationships have failed I'll try out a Danish girl next.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you want authetic and actually good Filipino food, eat at Abé.

Brinbe

Glad to see this thread semi-blowing up again, hope we continue to get some sustained activity in here.

Anyway, when I lived in PA and there were barely any other Filipinos around, I think I did do of that whole pride thing, at least on a subconscious level. It's just natural I suppose. But where I live in Toronto now? Ha, well, that's not really necessary.

And that's terrible to hear, Guhnmystro. Not all families are that bad, mine certainly isn't.

3JORN

This pinoy pride thing, I think it's just mainly due to inferiority complex. We have been suffering as a people a lot, we've been conquered multiple times, even now most of the people are poor due to lots of factors. It's no big deal for me anyway, except of course when some people really overdo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom