• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

It's not just sari-sari stores - if you ask me, there are WAY too many malls, supermarkets, and convenience stores in Manila.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I remember 20 years ago there were little to no malls in the Philippines. It used to be mainly wet markets.

I remember going to Glorietta (Glicos!) a few times a month since it was the only nearby and accessible mall at that time. I live in the south so it's an hour away from Glorietta.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hahahah yeah, malls are sprouting everywhere lately at the last few years of the previous decade.

With that said some good malls did deteriorate by removing certain stuff from them.

Quick

Banned
I came back to visit a couple of years ago, and went to Greenhills Mall. I used to think it was a dump, but boy did they renovate the shit out of it.

DonMigs85

Man, I miss that school bus ride in Glico's

I came back to visit a couple of years ago, and went to Greenhills Mall. I used to think it was a dump, but boy did they renovate the shit out of it.

Yup, it's the power of SM.
Sadly all the old Chinese-Filipino gaming shops like Wen-Gem Gallery and Satellite went down with it. I bought a lot of SNES games from them as a wee lad.

Onemic

Live within the greater Toronto area and I know lots of Filipinos. Phil on YTV was Filipino and he was the greatest host on TV ever. Aren't there a lot of Filipinos in California as well?

Boss Doggie

Yeah V-mall was pretty awful before. Now it's pretty much a go-to tech store besides Gilmore.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I used to go to Glorietta and SM a lot before, until the Ayala malls started coming out.

I almost exclusively go to Ayala malls and Rockwell nowadays (Greenbelt, Alabang Town Center, Rockwell, and Serendra to name a few). I dunno but I like the ambience of Ayala malls compared to MoA and SM Malls.

Plus the girls going to Greenbelt are kinda hawt.

Quick

Banned
Greenbelt in its renovated state reminded me of being in Florida. I really like what they've done to it.

I went to one of the high-end stores there, and all the employees were like soldiers standing at attention. It was odd seeing them so stiff and unresponsive.

DonMigs85

Greenbelt in its renovated state reminded me of being in Florida. I really like what they've done to it.

I went to one of the high-end stores there, and all the employees were like soldiers standing at attention. It was odd seeing them so stiff and unresponsive.

Their boss probably delivers savage beatings

^ made some last night! :)

Aren't there a lot of Filipinos in California as well?
Yup. In the LA area you got places like West Covina/Rowland Heights/Walnut and in NorCal, it's like Stockton/San Jose/Daily City. Have relatives in all those places, lol.

And who here has a nurse for a mother?

DonMigs85

Pinakbet is actually ok for me now. I somehow grew to like it, as I hated veggies as a child.
It helps that squash and eggplant have a meaty texture anyway.

Lotto

Pinakbet is actually ok for me now. I somehow grew to like it, as I hated veggies as a child.
It helps that squash and eggplant have a meaty texture anyway.

Most of the veggies are fine. What confuses me is the bittermelon. I will never understand the use of that vegetable in any dish, ever.

Chibits12

Banned
I went to a filipino birthday party Saturday and I had some kind of goat meat, bopis (cow-heart), pork adobo, pansit and many other food. No kare-kare found though.

Come next Saturday I feel like going to a Filipino restaurant and eat some sisig and lechon kawali. So good.

Pachimari

I actually really dig watching all the ads on Filipino television but yeah, they really are obsessed with whitening products.

Look at this video, he goes through the 20 reasons he "dislike" the Philippines. It's not a hate video, but he's totally right about the things he goes through.

Have any of you seen it?

Also, all their veggies are horrible but to me all of the rest of their food is the best in the world. :)

Those skin whitening products and ads were bizarre to say the least coming from Australia where bring tanned is the thing to do.

Pachimari

I still remember at my (at the time) girlfriend using skin whitening products on her face for her 18th Birthday and they spent hours making themselves beautiful and I were just thinking "Why? You look like a ghost" (no offense) - it was horrible. =(

But many Filipinos are also kind-hearted and very helpsome and good people but many things can just be too much.

3JORN

Loathe is such a strong word, I wouldn't actually use, for me, just annoyed sometimes. Our culture is a pretty damaged culture for sure but there is always hope (this is the optimist in me though).

sca2511

I still remember at my (at the time) girlfriend using skin whitening products on her face for her 18th Birthday and they spent hours making themselves beautiful and I were just thinking "Why? You look like a ghost" (no offense) - it was horrible. =(

But many Filipinos are also kind-hearted and very helpsome and good people but many things can just be too much.

Have you seen the video for "The Top Ten Reasons Why I Hate The Philippines" or something like that? Some of the things you pointed out in this thread are on there.

Pachimari

Have you seen the video for "The Top Ten Reasons Why I Hate The Philippines" or something like that? Some of the things you pointed out in this thread are on there.

Yeah, I linked to the video on this very page hehe. :)

Just 5 posts above this one.

Boss Doggie

Loathe is such a strong word, I wouldn't actually use, for me, just annoyed sometimes. Our culture is a pretty damaged culture for sure but there is always hope (this is the optimist in me though).

Problem is that to fix culture you need to first admit that the culture is broken.

3JORN

Problem is that to fix culture you need to first admit that the culture is broken.
Believe it or not a lot of people believe the culture is broken, I don't know if its just Manila or the places I've been in but this has been discussed in the media and also in the academe lots of times. I'll be the first to admit the culture is indeed broken, but then so are others and I still see a lot of good stuff, for me there is still hope. Brain drain has caused a lot of damage to the country's progress, that and corruption, politics, etc.

cvxfreak

Young overseas Filipinos viewing the country and their (parents') culture negatively is startlingly common, and I've been down that path myself. Used to be hugely pessimistic and dismissive of Filipino culture. But then as I got older, I realized that it was just silly to be so negative. Every country and culture has its bad side, and letting that taint your overall view of the country is completely unfair. There's a high probability that the Philippines will be a wealthier country in 10-25 years, and I expect this self-shame to go away in correlation.

Ironically, living in Japan for 5 years taught me more about myself as a Filipino than ever being in America. I suppose Japanese people's homogeneity served as the catalyst, as well as my personal disgust at young Japanese who pretend to be American. I could be American if I wanted to, but there's something wrong and dirty about projecting a Japanese identity in the same manner.

Pachimari

I have noticed that as well, that the younger generations are more dismissive to some things but I see all of these problems with young Filipinos as well. They constantly stick together and it's extremely hard for a half-Filipino like me to feel part of that group. They always go out together (and I'm talking about cousins and relatives too) without telling me or asking me out. And everytime (literally everytime) I ask them out, they can't.

And when I were out with my now ex and her friends, I see an attitude I don't like either. And I never ever see any Danish guys with them when we went to party at night. I'm actually more frustrated with the younger generations than I am with the elders.

Me myself, I love the Philippines, I love my relatives and family and I love all the places, foods, atmosphere and all of it but in recent years I have grown a dislike to the people. I know they are all very kind to people but I get annoyed when they have to tell me how nice they are, how the Filipinos are everywhere and the reason they are everywhere is because they are one of the most loveable people in the world - it screams selfish to me. They constantly involve God and religion in everything and it's fine but it's not cool throwing it down my throat. I have seen so many Filipinos stay in my country illegally after everything their hosts have given them, many of them send away the things they get for free and when they get money for food and such, they spent them on partying and entertainment stuff. And when we have an agreement at a specific time they never ever meet up at the time, or when we have planned to go somewhere it always gets changed to something else. It is utter chaos. It doesn't help that I constantly have to hear about my relatives and friends having an affair when the other part is far away. At least all of what i have mentioned is what I have witnessed the past 5 years.

Personally, I am trying hard to love my people (as I'm half-Filipino) but it has become increasingly hard. Very hard. So much, that I am actually talking with a professional about it so we can try and get rid of my negative feelings, because I really do not wish to have any negativity inside of me. I don't hate the people by any means, afterall I'm half-Filipino and feel somekind of connection to them but it's just hard for me to find them that likeable anymore.

Also don't misunderstand. I tend to fall into this generalisation because it's easier (and for that I am sorry if anyone will feel offended because it's clearly not my goal) but as any other people in the world, it's about the individuals. And there are some horrible individuals and there are some very likeable individuals, also when it comes to Filipinos. I just happens to have had way too many negative experiences with Filipinos. :)

Now on Sunday, we get visit by a Filipina and her boyfriend (white guy of course) who wants to come and she is the most extreme I have ever met when it comes to religion. She constantly talk about it and that is not nice at all to be around - I wonder how I'll react if she gets going haha. But as always, I will be very welcome to her and talk about other stuff and hope she don't get started on it.

^

Funny, I tend to get to know them first then completely avoid them if I find my fellow countryman an unpleasant company( I don't actively seek them out). Met a flip guy who works at kfc and his wife/gf who's a nurse (i know right?) and they were completely the opposite you just mentioned, but these kind of people are extremely rare unfortunately.

This coming from a full blood flip living in Scotland for 6 years :D

Pachimari

It's important to underline, as with any people, there's a bunch of great personalities out there as well. :)

Oh yeah it's funny, all of my cousins tend to take the nurse course hehe.

isual

PUTANGINA PARE KO! YUN NGA BAKIT HINDI AKO SUMASAMA SA MGA KAPWANG PINOY!

I do have filipino friends as part of my socio axis circle, however, I met them during highschool,. I really DO NOT hang out with other filipinos, or make new filipino friends in University mainly because they're so....ghetto. The way they dress, the way they act, I'll just stand out; very different mindsets really.

I have noticed that as well, that the younger generations are more dismissive to some things but I see all of these problems with young Filipinos as well. They constantly stick together and it's extremely hard for a half-Filipino like me to feel part of that group. They always go out together (and I'm talking about cousins and relatives too) without telling me or asking me out. And everytime (literally everytime) I ask them out, they can't.

And when I were out with my now ex and her friends, I see an attitude I don't like either. And I never ever see any Danish guys with them when we went to party at night. I'm actually more frustrated with the younger generations than I am with the elders.

Me myself, I love the Philippines, I love my relatives and family and I love all the places, foods, atmosphere and all of it but in recent years I have grown a dislike to the people. I know they are all very kind to people but I get annoyed when they have to tell me how nice they are, how the Filipinos are everywhere and the reason they are everywhere is because they are one of the most loveable people in the world - it screams selfish to me. They constantly involve God and religion in everything and it's fine but it's not cool throwing it down my throat. I have seen so many Filipinos stay in my country illegally after everything their hosts have given them, many of them send away the things they get for free and when they get money for food and such, they spent them on partying and entertainment stuff. And when we have an agreement at a specific time they never ever meet up at the time, or when we have planned to go somewhere it always gets changed to something else. It is utter chaos. It doesn't help that I constantly have to hear about my relatives and friends having an affair when the other part is far away. At least all of what i have mentioned is what I have witnessed the past 5 years.

Personally, I am trying hard to love my people (as I'm half-Filipino) but it has become increasingly hard. Very hard. So much, that I am actually talking with a professional about it so we can try and get rid of my negative feelings, because I really do not wish to have any negativity inside of me. I don't hate the people by any means, afterall I'm half-Filipino and feel somekind of connection to them but it's just hard for me to find them that likeable anymore.

Also don't misunderstand. I tend to fall into this generalisation because it's easier (and for that I am sorry if anyone will feel offended because it's clearly not my goal) but as any other people in the world, it's about the individuals. And there are some horrible individuals and there are some very likeable individuals, also when it comes to Filipinos. I just happens to have had way too many negative experiences with Filipinos. :)

Now on Sunday, we get visit by a Filipina and her boyfriend (white guy of course) who wants to come and she is the most extreme I have ever met when it comes to religion. She constantly talk about it and that is not nice at all to be around - I wonder how I'll react if she gets going haha. But as always, I will be very welcome to her and talk about other stuff and hope she don't get started on it.

Tekniqs

the last 2 years of RN school and last year when I visited, only reason I went to SM was to play street fighter at the arcades lol.

and my vocabulary shrinks exponentially when I'm driving there. mostly expletives

cvxfreak

I don't think it's purely because you're half Danish that you feel that way. Contrary to popular notion, being Filipino in and of itself is not always enough. There are more elements needed to maintain solid relationships. The same goes for any other race, really.

Just as an aside, be grateful you're not half Japanese or half Korean if exclusion is a big thing for you. Many of the mixed and overseas-raised Japanese people I've met have broken identities/complexes because they're so ostracized by society here. Meanwhile, Filipinos are easily the most ethnically/racially tolerant people in Asia. Sure, they love their fair share of gossip and hold many stereotypes, but there are blossoming and accepted foreign communities in the Philippines, such as the Chinese (who face tons of institutionalized discrimination in Indonesia and Malaysia, for example). Mestizos tend to be revered in society as well (not necessarily a good thing, but it's better than being ostracized).

DonMigs85

I don't think it's purely because you're half Danish that you feel that way. Contrary to popular notion, being Filipino in and of itself is not always enough. There are more elements needed to maintain solid relationships. The same goes for any other race, really.

Just as an aside, be grateful you're not half Japanese or half Korean if exclusion is a big thing for you. Many of the mixed and overseas-raised Japanese people I've met have broken identities/complexes because they're so ostracized by society here. Meanwhile, Filipinos are easily the most ethnically/racially tolerant people in Asia. Sure, they love their fair share of gossip and hold many stereotypes, but there are blossoming and accepted foreign communities in the Philippines, such as the Chinese (who face tons of institutionalized discrimination in Indonesia and Malaysia, for example). Mestizos tend to be revered in society as well (not necessarily a good thing, but it's better than being ostracized).

8165753578_0db2f38f16.jpg

keuja

Not a Pinoy but currently in Makati.

CHICHAERON BULAKLAK, SISIG, CRISPY PATA ,LECHON KAWALI FTW!!!

(Yes, I like pork)

Hey GAF!

Filipino immigrant here. Moved to Toronto when I was 10. I was born in Cebu, so I still speak Cebuano, but I never got the chance to learn Tagalog, even though I understand it. So what's going on in this thread?

Quick

Banned
Hey GAF!

Filipino immigrant here. Moved to Toronto when I was 10. I was born in Cebu, so I still speak Cebuano, but I never got the chance to learn Tagalog, even though I understand it. So what's going on in this thread?

Another Torontonian! Bro fist.

Just various discussions. Feel free to throw anything in here.

Mmhhmm, just had some pork adobo for dinner and pansit last night, I love Filipino food.

Anyway, just saw the thread... full blown Filipino right here. Born and raised in Mindanao for 12 years then I moved to North Texas after that. I was actually back in the PH this summer, spent a few days in my hometown then a weekend in Manila before heading back to the States. My hometown isn't as interesting, let's just say the island the new Medal of Honor game featured is literally a couple of hours by boat from my hometown, so if you know where that is, you know why it's not interesting haha.

Manila on the other hand was a little more exciting, went to MoA(of course) then Resorts World which was actually quite awesome despite it being a mall for the rich. We had plans to go to other interesting places like Baclaran to pick up some bootleg Louis Vuitton bags or whatever, but we didn't have enough time, so we just went wherever we could.

Anyway, yeah there's some Filipino's that are seriously full of shit but for the most part we are good people. Like always, there's gonna be a few rotten apples in a bucket.

Btw, Filipino girls... especially the ones I've seen in the PH, not the Americanized ones, are the best. I seriously contemplated on dropping out of my uni here in the States and moving to Manila and continue down there. Too bad I'm almost done with college, else I would've been down there having the time of my life haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom