• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I remember my first 2 girlfriends who lived in Ilocos, they couldn't go anywhere with me without kids joining. Even if we were neighbours she couldn't come to my place but I could come to hers. That was annoying but I'm pretty sure its' only in specific regions of the Philippines it's like this. I know people in Ilocos are close-minded, as they say themselves, and that they're more open-minded and liberated in Manila.

Also, there's a strong contrast between the capital and the countryside. I were surprised seeing people in Manila not showing much care and just stressing around minding their own business, kind of like Copenhagen or any big city I guess.

I also totally dig the traffic in the Philippines, I really love it.

This pinoy pride thing, I think it's just mainly due to inferiority complex. We have been suffering as a people a lot, we've been conquered multiple times, even now most of the people are poor due to lots of factors. It's no big deal for me anyway, except of course when some people really overdo it.
Thankfully I'm seeing progress, especially in Ilocos where people are starting to have very nice houses (nicer than our apartment here in Denmark), flatscreen tv's etc. But of course, it's still a mix and I believe most of the country is still very poor sadly.

Also, people call me 'Americano, Americano, Americano' every time I go there and a bunch of people are helping me out and doing me favours because I'm foreigner, I have even had body guards when going to places. It's a very nice people but it's a little bit extreme when I feel like a celebrity hehe and as soon as I don't do something they have asked, they get offended. How are you guys received when you go to the Philippines and what do you think about it? The thing is, they are extremely nice people but as soon as something happens that they don't like, they can get really offended - and I'm really scared of the Filipino temper.

Another thing, who in here are in a process of learning Tagalog?

I'm half Filipino, my dad a white American, met my mom when stationed in Cebu. Born in Florida, still live in Florida. I don't speak tagalog, or any other language, except a few words here and there. I was never officially taught. Never been over there, either (mahal!), but I do intend to go one day.

I'm also a vegan, as my username suggests. So many dishes have nothing but meat, and my family thought I was crazy for going veg.

3JORN

Well that's really how it is with Filipinos who grew up elsewhere or those with with Filipino heritage, much more with foreigners. Just tell them that whatever they ask you to do, you can't really always do for them. But just do it really nicely hehe. I'm sure most of them would understand :p I grew up in the Philippines (but I'm now in the UAE working) so I know Tagalog by heart.

cvxfreak

Visited Manila in September alone for the first time (as in without my mom), so my relatives took me around to some of the more touristy sites like Intramuros and Rizal Park. Also ate a lot of Chic Boy. Mmm.

Brinbe

Yeah, I never formally learned Tagalog either, haha. I left Makati for Toronto when I was 18 months old and I can't speak it for shit at all, but I can understand it perfectly fine when people/family talk to me. It's weird. =\

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Saboon means soap both in filipino and persian.

Also malingt an titi mo - or something is the only thing I remember from my friend whom I haven't seen in 10 years.

Pachimari

Saboon means soap both in filipino and persian.

Also Malingt an titi mo - or something is the only thing I remember from my friend whom I haven't seen in 10 years.

Doesn't that mean "I have a small penis"? I just want to see if even I understood something right, as I'll start learning Tagalog again.

Glad to see this thread semi-blowing up again, hope we continue to get some sustained activity in here.

Anyway, when I lived in PA and there were barely any other Filipinos around, I think I did do of that whole pride thing, at least on a subconscious level. It's just natural I suppose. But where I live in Toronto now? Ha, well, that's not really necessary.

And that's terrible to hear, Guhnmystro. Not all families are that bad, mine certainly isn't.

It's all good, I got a small personal victory when we had sex in their house while they were sleeping. :p

Always hated the "side-glance at me then speaking in tagalog" thing. It's not sneaky. Plus they liked to mock where I can from and my family values because I'm not as attached to the hip to my family as they are. Once went to an iglesia ni cristo service though. It turned impossible to follow once the priest got emotional and started speaking tagalog. All I learned of tagalog was mahal kita and dalawa. Oh, and nagsusulat.

Pachimari

There's also "Ano pangalan mo?" = What's your name. I also know mahal kita, isa, dalawa, tatlo, apat all the numbers and letters, mabuti, masarap but I guess that's it with my Tagalog. Because earlier I wanted to learn Ilocano as I feel attached to those people but now I'm doing Tagalog exclusively.

Great to see some activity in this topic again, not that great with tagalog but if any of you want to learn bisaya then I'm glad to help. ;D

Anyway contributing some pics of my idol. <3 <3 <3

hnQqK.jpg

Sc596.jpg

Pachimari

Mind sharing a name? :p

I liked all the Wowowee girls but they shut down the show because of some political comment of Willie?

Any local Filipinos who have some basic advice for us half-Filipinos trying to learn Tagalog?
I knew the whole alphabet some months ago but now I forgot it.

Yeah, I never formally learned Tagalog either, haha. I left Makati for Toronto when I was 18 months old and I can't speak it for shit at all, but I can understand it perfectly fine when people/family talk to me. It's weird. =\

Haha, I know that feel, bro. I'm exactly the same way. My parents only really spoke to me in English as I was growing up.

Pachimari

What show is that?

Also, I don't fancy any of those girls. Only the first one you posted, thanks for the name. :)

No mention of Tia Carrere or Lily Thai?
I find Charmaine Starr more attractive.

Anyway, you guys don't have photographers from the Philippines?

Eh, my pics are at home. I'll see if I can find some when I get back later on tonight. Until then, one of my fav go to meals.

94b3dde422cb11e2a9ed22000a1fb773_7.jpg

Cover that sucker with patis! :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Anyone heard of Bagong Nayong Pilipino? It looks pretty ambitious but I have hopes for it:

yOibX.jpg

I'm Filipino and Tagalog is my first language but I fucking hate Filipino food(except lumpia). I never want to go to the Philipines, every time someone in my family goes it's all stories of riots and everything being dirty.

I've always considered the Philipines to be Japan's Mexico.

hyp

How are you guys received when you go to the Philippines and what do you think about it?

pretty similar to you even though im full blooded Filipino-American. also helps that I'm light skinned and over 6 feet tall. people think I'm made of money when I go and I tend to get a lot of looks both good and bad. that's Filipino culture for you though. as someone said previously there's a huge inferiority complex. I've noticed this a lot with my 1st generation Filipino family and friends who come to America. they're always trying to prove themselves and tend to overcompensate.

Pachimari

pretty similar to you even though im full blooded Filipino-American. also helps that I'm light skinned and over 6 feet tall. people think I'm made of money when I go and I tend to get a lot of looks both good and bad. that's Filipino culture for you though. as someone said previously there's a huge inferiority complex. I've noticed this a lot with my 1st generation Filipino family and friends who come to America. they're always trying to prove themselves and tend to overcompensate.

Yeah totally and it have always been cool being greeted that way but sometimes when I have been in a jeepney and not in a good mood, it's not cool when somebody shouts Americano, Americano hahaha but it's alright.

Quick

Banned
How are you guys received when you go to the Philippines and what do you think about it? The thing is, they are extremely nice people but as soon as something happens that they don't like, they can get really offended - and I'm really scared of the Filipino temper.

Another thing, who in here are in a process of learning Tagalog?

Last time I came back, it was for a month. I stayed in the city, so that was pretty neat. I was received pretty well for the most part. Considering that my Tagalog is terrible (though I can understand it), it was a chore having to talk to some people in English. Jokes and quips don't work so well. My hotel was across the street from a sizable shopping complex, and it honestly felt like I was in Florida.

I was told not to get into taxis alone, since I'd probably get robbed or kidnapped, so I was always with someone, and I just never said a word while in a taxi. Tipping was an interesting thing, since they apparently don't follow the 15% rule. I was beginning to calculate my tip, when a friend stopped me. She put down P20 as a tip and we left.

I know Tagalog, and I can speak it, but I speak it with an accent. I'm too self-conscious to speak it in full, because all I get from other Filipinos is a humorous look, like I'm some mentally disabled person. Kudos to anyone trying to learn it, though.

sturmdogg

I'm Filipino and Tagalog is my first language but I fucking hate Filipino food(except lumpia). I never want to go to the Philipines, every time someone in my family goes it's all stories of riots and everything being dirty.

Why don't you try going to the Philippines and see for yourself?

vulva

So you weren't telling me to fuck your asshole, just trying to tell me you're doing well (mabuti)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This pinoy pride thing, I think it's just mainly due to inferiority complex. We have been suffering as a people a lot, we've been conquered multiple times, even now most of the people are poor due to lots of factors. It's no big deal for me anyway, except of course when some people really overdo it.

I really loathe our culture.

Boss Doggie

Your Filipino? If so, what is it about it that you loathe? Just out of curiosity. :)

Onion-skinned culture hypocrisy. They cry afoul while doing the same thing about it. They praise success of someone Filipino as though being one lifts the whole race. They use "self-made products" in order to scam people for low quality items instead of making it so that well-made products are affordable. "Neighborism"/"bayanihan" is touted as a positive quality even though in reality it is "you scratch back I scratch yours". Having "Filipino traits" as though it's a core, measurable trait in RPGs. Blind following of religion and use of spiritualism instead of intelligent analysis to control social problems...

I love the country, but the people in it makes me sick.

Quick

Banned
Onion-skinned culture hypocrisy. They cry afoul while doing the same thing about it. They praise success of someone Filipino as though being one lifts the whole race. They use "self-made products" in order to scam people for low quality items instead of making it so that well-made products are affordable. "Neighborism"/"bayanihan" is touted as a positive quality even though in reality it is "you scratch back I scratch yours". Having "Filipino traits" as though it's a core, measurable trait in RPGs. Blind following of religion and use of spiritualism instead of intelligent analysis to control social problems...

I love the country, but the people in it makes me sick.

Valid points. I think this really hits home (more so) when you're outside the city limits.

A friend of mine loathes Philippine culture, despite being Filipino. But I honestly think it's his own veiled attempt at trying to be Japanese (he loves anime, learned the language, converses partly in it).

Pachimari

Valid points. I think this really hits home (more so) when you're outside the city limits.

A friend of mine loathes Philippine culture, despite being Filipino. But I honestly think it's his own veiled attempt at trying to be Japanese (he loves anime, learned the language, converses partly in it).
I think it fits the whole nation, not just outside Manila. My two exes from Manila have been the worst in these aspects. Though, those in the countryside are way more serious about religion, even though it were the one from Manila who wanted to convert me.

I have honestly started to loathe the Philippine culture as well but I didn't before.

Quick

Banned
I think it fits the whole nation, not just outside Manila. My two exes from Manila have been the worst in these aspects. Though, those in the countryside are way more serious about religion, even though it were the one from Manila who wanted to convert me.

I honestly loathe the Philippine culture as well but I didn't before.

I found it more noticeable when you're away from the city limits, as in, the surrounding areas and countryside. Definitely encompasses the entire nation, yep.

Overall, I'm really indifferent on the culture.

Pachimari

I found it more noticeable when you're away from the city limits, as in, the surrounding areas and countryside. Definitely encompasses the entire nation, yep.

Overall, I'm really indifferent on the culture.
Generally it is more noticeable outside the city but it encompasses the whole nation yes.

I have a very hard time being half-half as I have felt offended, annoyed or have seen, experienced and heard too many bad things throughout recent years. I try so hard to love the Filipino side of me but I just can't anymore. It's kind of sad.

kagete

Aye aye, I hear you on all points man. Also, pinoys in the US are the worst about it with their fake pinoy pride that they throw out on facebook or in front of their American friends and coworkers but will do everything possible to dissociate themselves from other filipinos they encounter in the states.

I remember this time I was at a Filipino food store in New Jersey with my family. It's a cheap place with rickety tables and chairs that wouldn't look out of place at a 50 peso per meal joint back home. The food is great and we try to buy from them whenever we're in the neighborhood. A father and son come in talking in Tagalog about what food they'll buy for takeout and the son is even dressed in a Nike PacMan jacket that is practically a Philippine Flag. When it's their turn in the line to order food they start speaking in straight English and pretend they can't understand the serving lady who was taking orders in Tagalog and Ilokano. They kept saying stuff like "Umm, can you speak in English please? Hello, hello, excuse me what do you call this weird dish here? Uhh hello, excuse me?". It was an absolutely sickening sight.

Filipinos outwardly pretending to not be Filipino is fine most anywhere, but I've seen it hundreds of times at all-Filipino Catholic churches, Filipino grocery stores, and even the goddamn Philippine Embassy in NY.

hyp

same, I'm fairly indifferent. it is what it is really. Filipino culture does live up to a lot of its stereotypes however. I just try and hang out with fellow Filipinos that I have similar interests with. I know a ton of Filipinos (I live in Hawaii) and with most of them the only thing we have in common is our ethnicity.

Boss Doggie

Aye aye, I hear you on all points man. Also, pinoys in the US are the worst about it with their fake pinoy pride that they throw out on facebook or in front of their American friends and coworkers but will do everything possible to dissociate themselves from other filipinos they encounter in the states.

I remember this time I was at a Filipino food store in New Jersey with my family. It's a cheap place with rickety tables and chairs that wouldn't look out of place at a 50 peso per meal joint back home. The food is great and we try to buy from them whenever we're in the neighborhood. A father and son come in talking in Tagalog about what food they'll buy for takeout and the son is even dressed in a Nike PacMan jacket that is practically a Philippine Flag. When it's their turn in the line to order food they start speaking in straight English and pretend they can't understand the serving lady who was taking orders in Tagalog and Ilokano. They kept saying stuff like "Umm, can you speak in English please? Hello, hello, excuse me what do you call this weird dish here? Uhh hello, excuse me?". It was an absolutely sickening sight.

Filipinos outwardly pretending to not be Filipino is fine most anywhere, but I've seen it hundreds of times at all-Filipino Catholic churches, Filipino grocery stores, and even the goddamn Philippine Embassy in NY.

Wow, that is terrible.

I myself would speak English in English-speaking countries but I'd speak Tagalog if asked.

With that said, another annoying trait of a typical Filipino is their need to associate themselves to another Filipino. Like say, "this guy is 1/2 Filipino! Proud to be Pinoy!" attitude.

DonMigs85

Pol Medina Jr, creator of the Pugad Baboy series, actually drew some strips a few years back featuring just that sort of warped Pinoy expatriate.
"KUMAKAIN KA RIN NG BIGAS, GAGO!"

Boss Doggie

You know what's hilarious though?

That view is then twisted locally via patriotic fervor, citing it "not real Filipino, Filipinos only speak Tagalog".

Yeah, Filipinos are a twisted version of the Nazi Aryan viewpoint.

jsnepo

With that said, another annoying trait of a typical Filipino is their need to associate themselves to another Filipino. Like say, "this guy is 1/2 Filipino! Proud to be Pinoy!" attitude.

I fucking hate this. I don't know why my fellowmen do this. I actually feel embarrassed whenever something like this is brought up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What I don't like is that we constantly promote that beauty = everything.

I know a few people going to the celebrity path and their heads are growing bigger than ever. I wish the people I know would actually stick to a business and non-superficial path.

Quick

Banned
Speaking of businesses: why does everyone want to open a sari-sari store? My parents watch Eat Bulaga, and that's all everyone wants to do with the money they receive. And there's that other show that's like Make A Wish, where it's like a pre-requisite to want to have a sari-sari store.

ULTROS!

If it's not a sari-sari store, it's a booth in a bazaar, a mini-outlet in food markets that occur on weekends or so, or a stall in the mall.

Guess it's also ingrained in culture? Not really complaining though since these outlets provide unique and good food.

DonMigs85

The TV and radio ads are also dominated by the following products:
Shampoo
Whitening soaps and creams
Laundry detergent
Pancit Canton
Jollibee
Beer

Quick

Banned
I feel like there should be something in the federal level to inspire citizens to do better than that. Not saying that sari-sari stores are bottom barrel and not legitimate, but I'm sure there are people in the country that have high aspirations, but hit a glass ceiling and never really advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't live there anymore.

And no, can't complain about the hole-in-the-wall joints with good cheap food, or the sari-sari stores. :p

Boss Doggie

White = beauty is more of an Asian thing.

What's hilarious is that in US tanning is looked positively.

Speaking of businesses: why does everyone want to open a sari-sari store? My parents watch Eat Bulaga, and that's all everyone wants to do with the money they receive. And there's that other show that's like Make A Wish, where it's like a pre-requisite to want to have a sari-sari store.

Lack of long term insight.

What's hilarious is that it is used as a campaign platform for one of the hosts in his run for senator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom