• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think it's purely because you're half Danish that you feel that way. Contrary to popular notion, being Filipino in and of itself is not always enough. There are more elements needed to maintain solid relationships. The same goes for any other race, really.

Just as an aside, be grateful you're not half Japanese or half Korean if exclusion is a big thing for you. Many of the mixed and overseas-raised Japanese people I've met have broken identities/complexes because they're so ostracized by society here. Meanwhile, Filipinos are easily the most ethnically/racially tolerant people in Asia. Sure, they love their fair share of gossip and hold many stereotypes, but there are blossoming and accepted foreign communities in the Philippines, such as the Chinese (who face tons of institutionalized discrimination in Indonesia and Malaysia, for example). Mestizos tend to be revered in society as well (not necessarily a good thing, but it's better than being ostracized).

I guess.

Usually I consider it because they're suckers for "bigger, wealthier races" :p

Quick

Banned
daps

Have you been to that upscale place here yet? Lamesa I think it's called. My friend's taking me sometime this month

I haven't even heard of it, or at least remember its name. Someone probably mentioned it to me. That said, this place now interests me. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming you've been to Max's of Manila?

I haven't even heard of it, or at least remember its name. Someone probably mentioned it to me. That said, this place now interests me. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming you've been to Max's of Manila?

Ya but I haven't been back since they got Red Horse. I had some...interesting times with it last time I was at Cebu

Red Horse?

I'm referring to Max's of Manila at Steeles. Or are we referring to the same thing?

Oh, we're referring to the same thing.

I'm talking about this Red Horse btw

redhorse.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people in every country will hate their own stereotypical countrymen.

I don't hate Filipinos but I hate the stereotypical obsessed-with-beauty-and-the-US-and-hates-the-Philippines kind of Filipino.

Oh and let's talk about Filipino delicasies and sweets. I like Chocnut, puto, bibingka, puto bumbong, etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mostly love ones with potatoes (menudo, mechado). I also love beefsteak tagalog (not the cheap, let's see how many onions we can fill it version).

Quick

Banned
I forgot all about it until I ate at a Filipino restaurant last week and saw it in their fridge: Silvanas. Motherfucking Silvanas. I'll be stopping by at that place again and ordering myself enough to kill myself...or however much I can eat.

silvanas-espresso.jpg

3JORN

Young overseas Filipinos viewing the country and their (parents') culture negatively is startlingly common, and I've been down that path myself. Used to be hugely pessimistic and dismissive of Filipino culture. But then as I got older, I realized that it was just silly to be so negative. Every country and culture has its bad side, and letting that taint your overall view of the country is completely unfair. There's a high probability that the Philippines will be a wealthier country in 10-25 years, and I expect this self-shame to go away in correlation.

Ironically, living in Japan for 5 years taught me more about myself as a Filipino than ever being in America. I suppose Japanese people's homogeneity served as the catalyst, as well as my personal disgust at young Japanese who pretend to be American. I could be American if I wanted to, but there's something wrong and dirty about projecting a Japanese identity in the same manner.

I agree! Great post!

Poyunch

Young overseas Filipinos viewing the country and their (parents') culture negatively is startlingly common, and I've been down that path myself. Used to be hugely pessimistic and dismissive of Filipino culture. But then as I got older, I realized that it was just silly to be so negative. Every country and culture has its bad side, and letting that taint your overall view of the country is completely unfair. There's a high probability that the Philippines will be a wealthier country in 10-25 years, and I expect this self-shame to go away in correlation.

Ironically, living in Japan for 5 years taught me more about myself as a Filipino than ever being in America. I suppose Japanese people's homogeneity served as the catalyst, as well as my personal disgust at young Japanese who pretend to be American. I could be American if I wanted to, but there's something wrong and dirty about projecting a Japanese identity in the same manner.
My friend refuses to visit the Philippines and I don't understand why.

sca2511

To some extent? What is it that you don't agree with? :)

When I meant to some extent, I was giving the benefit of the doubt since I haven't been there in years. From what I remember from living over there when I was younger, it's pretty similar to what they point out.

Aus-Filo here! Born and raised in Melbourne, and although I can understand Tagalog, one of my biggest regrets is that I never persisted to learn to speak the language. Anyways, I'll be going back to Philippines for the third year straight at the end of the year! Will spend most of the time in Manila and Boracay, but I'll also be going to Cebu for the first time. Any recommendations on bars/clubs, shops and general tourist spots to visit whilst I'm there would be greatly appreciated. =)

Been craving four cheese Yellow Cab Pizza ever since I booked the trip 3 months ago

IMG_1789.JPG

And I can't wait to snack on these again!

ding_dong.JPG

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Zoe

Ugh, I'm such a traitor to my heritage. I'll never be able to venture outside the safety of adobo and pancit.

Quick

Banned
I've visited twice and it really is a lovely place and I've always had a good time there.

I just wouldnt go back because I can't stand sitting in a plane for 21 hours.

The plane ride is terrible. My flight was shorter (if I remember correctly), and I couldn't sleep in the plane for long periods of time. I'd snooze for maybe half an hour and be up again. All I had was an iPod and the movies playing on the plane.

I feel like I'd be better equipped for a long flight now that I have an iPad, though.

Pachimari

I love the plane ride. But the last time I also went from Manila to the north with bus, which is a 12 hour ride I think every weekend lol. Love it.

Also this:

halo.jpg

Probably my favorite thing ever in the summer.

Am I a bad person for craving Chowking Halo Halo after seeing the sign pop up while watching Bourne Legacy (was in the Philippines when they were shooting the movie)... because it actually happened and I ended up in Union City to get some.

I don't regret it though.

Went to the Philippines the first time in February (I might've mentioned it here, not sure) with a stop over in Japan. Was really fun seeing where my parents grew up (mom: Quezon City, dad: Bicol) as well as visiting Palawan. Also managed to squeeze in a weekend in Japan (Shinjuku) while on vacation, that was really cool too.

psychicpsych

Neo Member
I'm Filipino. Born and raised in America but lived in the Phillipines for 4 years. I can sorta understand Tagalog but can't speak it.

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure puto is this, there's more food named puto?

w2yj1

EDIT: Link don't work, I'll fix it when I'm not on an iOS device..

norcal pinoy-gaf:

have any of you ever had the senor sisig food truck???
http://www.senorsisig.com/
porksisigwadobogarlicrice.jpg

ChickenAdoboBurrito.jpg

i've never been too keen on making sisig myself and kind of figuring out what to do with a whole pig head. i've always wondered if there's a good recipe out there for a "healthy" sisig or if there's a good recipe for the marinade/seasoning. i was thinking about making sisig with either chicken breast/pork loin combined with some pork belly.

Quick

Banned
Adding to the plane ride, the moment you step out of the plane and the climate just hits you immediately was terrible for me. Not that I could do anything about it, though, it's just the way it is. The air conditioning in the airport was supposedly on, but that didn't help matters at all. Stepping outside made it even worse. The place I stayed in had the air conditioning cranked all the way up, which felt normal for me.

ULTROS!

Quick said:
Adding to the plane ride, the moment you step out of the plane and the climate just hits you immediately was terrible for me. Not that I could do anything about it, though, it's just the way it is. The air conditioning in the airport was supposedly on, but that didn't help matters at all. Stepping outside made it even worse. The place I stayed in had the air conditioning cranked all the way up, which felt normal for me.

If I go to the northern hemisphere, I freeze up even if it's considered "warm" over there. I guess it really depends on the people who adapt to their country's weather.

Puto Bumbong actually. :p

There are many kinds of puto (malagkit, plain ol' puto, and puto bumbong just to name the ones I know).

Pachimari

There you go.
Thank you kind sir. :)

What I were surprised by around 3 years ago was, that at around 5 in the morning I were wearing a jacket outside, as I were freezing as much as I do in Denmark. It is that cold in Ilocos in the morning now. =/

Otherwise I love the heat and weather.

norcal pinoy-gaf:

http://www.senorsisig.com/wp-content/themes/senorsisig/images/menu/porksisigwadobogarlicrice.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.senorsisig.com/wp-content/themes/senorsisig/images/menu/ChickenAdoboBurrito.jpg[/MG]

i've never been too keen on making sisig myself and kind of figuring out what to do with a whole pig head. i've always wondered if there's a good recipe out there for a "healthy" sisig or if there's a good recipe for the marinade/seasoning. i was thinking about making sisig with either chicken breast/pork loin combined with some pork belly.[/QUOTE]

Gaht damn, that looks good!

gimmmick

Another Pinoy here! Was born in the Philippines (olongapo) and moved here in CA when i was 14.

And yes Jollibee's fried chicken is one if the BEST fried chicken out there!

My mom's side of the family is from Olongap. (Villanueva). Joilibee just like goldilocks is terribly overrated, americanized and plain and simply not good.

Half Italian, half Filipino... yet everyone thinks i'm hispanic.

IMG_1502.jpg

norcal pinoy-gaf:

i've never been too keen on making sisig myself and kind of figuring out what to do with a whole pig head. i've always wondered if there's a good recipe out there for a "healthy" sisig or if there's a good recipe for the marinade/seasoning. i was thinking about making sisig with either chicken breast/pork loin combined with some pork belly.

I've seen them at the Eat Real festival in Oakland a few times, but haven't tried them out. As for a healthier sisig recipe, I think Hapa SF does one - they were featured on some Food Network show.

Sisig-with-egg-510x340.jpg

I've seen them at the Eat Real festival in Oakland a few times, but haven't tried them out. As for a healthier sisig recipe, I think Hapa SF does one - they were featured on some Food Network show.

Sisig-with-egg-510x340.jpg
Fuck that looks really good. I had some decent sisig from that White Rabbit food truck in So Cal as well.

isual

PUKE NANGINA! SARAP NG PAGKAIN PARE KO!

damn guys, we should kick it if any of you are in the bay area!

SHIET NA MALAGKIT!

i was thinking about making sisig with either chicken breast/pork loin combined with some pork belly.

my dad makes chicken sisig from
Ralphs/Kroger Savory Flavor
chicken.

it's not too dry or too greasy but he does dump a good amount of mayo in it so it's not exactly healthy

DoubleTap

^^ lol at your name hairy-p.

A healthy sisig alternative is bangus. I have no clue how to make it but it's tasty.

Edit: I just remembered another sisig-like dish that I had when I went home this year - Crispy Tokwa't Baboy. Tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom