• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Film adaptations that surpass the source material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Surpassing something can encompass many things including; commercial success, cultural impact, plaudits and rewards received, etc.

Let's concentrate on the two most fundamental aspects though; storytelling (how successful the adaptation is at telling the story) and entertainment levels (how much joy you garnered from the adaptation).

I'll start with five films that I think have surpassed their source material in terms of the criteria mentioned above.

Last of the Mohicans

tOFRO.png
Q7pRx.jpg

The novel is a very dry read, whereas the film is an absolute thrill ride, especially the final act. Michael Mann streamlined the narrative quite successfully, with only one real loss; the characterization of Magua. You feel genuine sympathy for him in the novel, where his actions are somewhat justified, this certainly isn't evident in the film though.

Jaws

9q4SB.jpg
U74h7.png

A run of the mill story by Peter Benchley that was brought to life by Steven Spielberg. The film added as sense of dread and horror that the novel just didn't have.

Fight Club

wvuE4.jpg
FIHhG.png

Fight Club is a very enjoyable read, but the film is on a whole different level in terms of the fleshing out the characters and the telling of the story, as well as entertainment levels.

Ben Hur

Opdhu.png
VKMWa.png

A long forgotten novel that is a challenging but ultimately rewarding read. It does drag in parts and some of the characters are very flat and wholly forgettable in comparison to William Wyler's adaptation. The film adds a sense of gravitas and grandioseness to the story as well as adding real depth to some of the characters. The film is regarded as one of the greatest epics of all time alongside Lawrence of Arabia and rightly so. The chariot race is a sight to behold on the silver screen and far surpasses the description of it in the book.

Shawshank Redemption

D7Uku.jpg
I2i0l.png

An obvious choice. The novella by Stephen King was thoroughly decent, but wasn't anything ground breaking. Frank Darabont took the narrative and instead of omitting or streamlining, he expand upon it to great effect. The characterization of Brooks in particular was a very thought provoking addition to the narrative.

The Prestige

l921c.png

The film does a better job of conveying the hatred that existed between Angier and Borden in comparison to the novel. The omission of the contemporary setting with the descendants of Angier and Borden dealing with the repercussions of their ancestors' great feud was a good decision on Christopher Nolan's part. It would have been very jarring to go back and fourth between the contemporary and period setting throughout the film and time consuming.

A pre-emptive mention of The Lord of the Rings, because I know it'll be mentioned. ;)

MisterHero

It's a Wonderful Life

However, like the many A Christmas Carol movies, it came from a short story. :p

Superman I and II

sn00zer

KICKASS...really didnt like the book, lots of unnecessary "controversial" bullshit...and movie was much better with humor, every joke in the book just fell flat

Alright, so not a movie but i'm going to mention it anyway : Dexter. Even with how shitty the show has turned it's still miles above the later books.

Stet

Banned
Full Metal Jacket.

Fight Club nails it, though. Palahniuk writes young adult literature with a lot of swears and mature themes. Movie was great.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I found reading A Clockwork Orange to be rather disappointing, but that was after watching the movie.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Akira
Fight Club
Blade Runner

Most of the time I think adaptations are better when it goes book->movie.

KICKASS...really didnt like the book, lots of unnecessary "controversial" bullshit...and movie was much better with humor, every joke in the book just fell flat
Not to mention that for a book that tried to tout the "realistic" violence of what would happen to someone that tried to be a superhero...the violence was pretty damn cartoony.

And John Romita Jr's art is ass.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Er, LotR I MIGHT agree for Fellowship of the Rings just for the fact that half the book is the Hobbits travel to bree, which was horribly boring outside a visit to Tom "Look at all the fucks I give" Bombadil. Movie got them there in about 40 minutes.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Lord of the Rings is the obvious choice. Jackson did a spectacular job of trimming the fat off of that book.

Secondary pick:

kHsSb.jpg

Couldn't stand the comics, loved the movie.

Ratrat

VOl74.jpg

I also prefer the film adaptations of Battle Royale and Paprika but am probably alone there.

edit: Blade Runner and Starship Troopers are good but so loosely adapted that its hard to compare them.

thefro

Goldfinger: The giant plot hole from the novel is removed and the movie's pretty much better in every way.

To Kill a Mockingbird: Lots of the pointless crap from the novel is gone.

GhaleonQ

I kind of only care about good things that were made even better. There are lots of poetry, stage, and comic adaptations that are better than mediocre material.

The greatest animation ever made is Aleksandr Petrov's The Cow. Andrei Platonov's anticommunism tale is totally outclassed.
(clearer picture) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtBE7zR4mGg
(English) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGPK5Apv5A

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Bernanos' Diary Of A Country Priest, and I actually think it better fleshes out its ideas than Bresson's movie version. It's even closer to my own ideology, for what it's worth. I just think Bresson made a new, somewhat different thing that perfectly combined all of its moviemaking.

Edmond Dantès;34515206 said:
The novel is a very dry read,

Every literature professor now hates you. The Leatherstocking Tales are 1800s Avatar, the ambitious shlock of its day.

Kazerei

Banned
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The original short story is pretty good and well written, but the film really took the idea and made it amazing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The Shining

So massively false it's painful. The movie is vastly inferior. Terrible casting choice for the wife, no effort spent on the relationship between the son and father, and the removal of a far creepier and more interesting villain by downplaying the hotel's role in the film.

Akira
Fight Club
Blade Runner

Most of the time I think adaptations are better when it goes book->movie.

I don't know... i have a hard time agreeing with these two. AKRIA's manga is much more fleshed out and doesn't leave you scratching your head at anypoint. And I'd wager that it paced a little better.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep has so much more depth than the movie though it lacks the grittiness of it. I really like the way the stories parallel each other and how every thing in the book isn't what it appears to be. Though the ending of the movie is probably better anything in the book, the book is stronger... i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom