• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Film adaptations that surpass the source material

Status
Not open for further replies.
DHee2.jpg
1jl18.jpg

Going the other way briefly, I liked the graphic novel version of The Fountain more than the film, albeit with Clint Mansell's score playing as I read.

Daft_Cat

Yah.

Both are great, but I like that Ridley Scott has us fall on the
"Deckard is a Replicant"
side of the fence, unlike the book. Obviously both have us question what it means to be human, but the film's thematic reversal of Deckard/Batty felt more profound to me.

Lombaszko

High Fidelity is my favorite example of an adaptation that is better than the book. The book is set in England but in the adaptation they moved it to Chicago and it's changed enough to feel like a completely different story but a lot of the same themes are true.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Iron Giant

I don't know... i have a hard time agreeing with these two. AKRIA's manga is much more fleshed out and doesn't leave you scratching your head at anypoint. And I'd wager that it paced a little better.

The manga is obscenely bloated. Some of the additional elements are pretty cool, but I'd take the anime over the manga any day.

Loxley

This is blasphemy to a lot of Tolkien purists, but thank fuck Jackson removed Tom Bombadil from The Fellowship of the Ring. I always found him to be a distraction more than anything else.

Cracked.com, of all places, actually summarized why I'm glad he was ommited from the movie pretty well:

Tom enjoys long walks in the woods, wearing a blue coat with stylish yellow boots, singing, flitting about like a wood-nymph-hobo and rescuing wayward travelers from angry trees. Oh, and when he talks, he sounds like this:

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"

In Chapter 7, Tom takes the hobbits (who inexplicably don't run in the opposite goddamn direction the second he opens his mouth) back to his home, where they are greeted by Tom's shockingly hot blonde wife, who serves them what "seemed to be clear cold water, yet it went to their hearts like wine and set free their voices."

Then it's off to bed for the hobbits, who are ominously warned, "Heed no nightly noises!" which has to be the most terrifying piece of bedtime advice you can possibly hear from a man whose facial hair looks like it has unspeakable sexual appetites of its own. Frodo, predictably, is plagued by terrible dreams all night and wakes up to Tom shouting, "Ring a ding dillo! Wake now, my merry friends! Forget the nightly noises! Ring a ding dillo del!"

Later, Tom shows up again to save the hobbits from a Barrow-wight, which is totally cool except that in the process, the hobbits mysteriously end up losing most of their clothes. "You won't find your clothes again," said Tom, "bounding down from the mound and laughing as he danced round them in the sunlight." Then he instructs them to "Cast off these cold rags" and "run naked in the grass!"

So, at least in that regard, I consider the movie to be a vast improvement over the book :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blade Runner doesn't surpass the material, it almost completely ignores it, but I agree, it's more enjoyable and a classic in its own right. It's so different from the book, however, that it barely counts. I feel bad for people who loved the movie, then bought the "novelization" and were like, WTF this guy has a shit marriage and is obsessed with sheep.

kswiston

The manga is obscenely bloated. Some of the additional elements are pretty cool, but I'd take the anime over the manga any day.

Even with the bloat the Manga is superior in every way. The anime barely made sense. The title character was almost entirely cut as well. Manga epics rarely translate into 2 hour movies really well. Hayao Miyazaki is pretty much the greatest anime director of all time, and even he didn't do Nausicaa (his own creation) justice in two hours.

In general, I disagree with a lot of these picks, however +1 to the people mentioning the Stephen King shorts that were turned into great movies such as Stand by Me and Shawshank.

I think that the films that have been based on Mark Millar's creator owned comics (Kick-Ass, Wanted) have been better than the comics themselves. Even if the movies weren't amazing.

JGS

Banned
Jurassic Park
How? I guess it was funnier.

The book was much more exciting and had an evil Hammond as it should have been.

The introduction to the raptors was great. I like the movie just fine but wish they would do a remake on the book.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jurassic Park

Loved the movie but I don't like a lot of the changes they made regarding deaths. I wish they had killed Malcolm like the book and I was a bit annoyed that in an action film they do the scene from the book where Muldoon encounters the Raptor and have him die instead of being a total badass and survive.

Salvadora

Loved the movie but I don't like a lot of the changes they made regarding deaths. I wish they had killed Malcolm like the book and I was a bit annoyed that in an action film they do the scene from the book where Muldoon encounters the Raptor and have him die instead of being a total badass and survive.

Hammond should have died.

Secondary pick:

kHsSb.jpg

Couldn't stand the comics, loved the movie.

Nope. The comic took place over the span of... well, I don't remember. 18 months, I think. (I should know this.) The movie took place over the span of a few weeks.

So, which has more weight to it when Ramona walks away? With the movie it's like "Wow, you've only known her like two weeks, cry much?"

JGS

Banned
Hammond should have died.
That was the biggest travesty. In a movie where everyone is the good guy except for the one who sets it off and the dinosaurs are simply "doing what they do", it needed a villian & Hammond could have been one of the great ones with a fitting ending. Crichton didn't flesh him out that much but Spielberg could have worked wonders for him in the movie since he didn't do much at all otherwise. Why not make him evil?

Salvadora

That was the biggest travesty. In a movie where everyone is the good guy except for the one who sets it off and the dinosaurs are simply "doing what they do", it needed a villian & Hammond could have been one of the great ones with a fitting ending. Crichton didn't flesh him out that much but Spielberg could have worked wonders for him in the movie since he didn't do much at all otherwise. Why not make him evil?

I completely agree. Also i cant remember but didn't Crichton bring Malcolm back even though he was presumed dead?

Rikkun

Secondary pick:

Couldn't stand the comics, loved the movie.

DERP, you blow my mind lad.

About Fight Club I can't choose, also because I read the book after watching the movie so it felt to me pretty similar, even if harder to swallow. I'd say it's a tie to me.

Ridley327

I completely agree. Also i cant remember but didn't Crichton bring Malcolm back even though he was presumed dead?

Yeah, and that's pretty much how he brought him back in The Lost World, too; he jokes about being so close to death after the immediate events of Jurassic Park that he was pronounced dead.

Agreed about The Godfather.

Arment

I like him better as a tragic character. The film would be cheesy with a classical villain.

MisterHero

Only because of Gene Wilder, but yes.
I disagree, I love the cast and the changes in the Wilder movie. The Burton one was closer to the books but it wasn't more likeable.

It was fun in its own way, though.

GAF has talked about this a ton already. :p

They should adapt the second Forrest Gump novel

As mentioned:

The Shining (book starts better, ends far more lamely)
Blade Runner (book felt unfinished, though full of great stuff)
High Fidelity (still seems like the same story to me, but comes off more naturally)

And speaking of High Fidelity, About a Boy. It comes together much better as a movie.

A few more:

Rear Window
High Noon
Apt Pupil

A lot of movies are adapted from mediocre source material you never hear about.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't know... i have a hard time agreeing with these two. AKRIA's manga is much more fleshed out and doesn't leave you scratching your head at anypoint. And I'd wager that it paced a little better.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep has so much more depth than the movie though it lacks the grittiness of it. I really like the way the stories parallel each other and how every thing in the book isn't what it appears to be. Though the ending of the movie is probably better anything in the book, the book is stronger... i think.

Akira is easy to understand, the manga is stupid.

The movie was very simple, it was just about how two kids, one weak and one strong, and how the weaker one is unable to express how he feels. The powers and such is just a vessel to express that, and it ends with Kaneda understanding what Tetsuo treasured about their relationship and what he had forgotten. It's just about a lost friendship, regret, innocence, etc.

The manga is shit, it's all about filling out sheets with action and Tetsuo acting like a jerk, for no reason, and wasted pages on explaining things that are pointless. It's really bad.

Salvadora

Yeah, and that's pretty much how he brought him back in The Lost World, too; he jokes about being so close to death after the immediate events of Jurassic Park that he was pronounced dead.

That book should never have been written. Didnt Spielberg ask him to write it? Its hardly like he needed it.

JGS

Banned
I like him better as a tragic character. The film would be cheesy with a classical villain.
He's not tragic. He's Walt Disney.

He wouldn't be a classical villian either. He would be a cool villian that's willing to sacrifice all- even his grand kids to gain fame and fortune instead of a dude that does the expected. That would have been the hook. It's probably been done by now though.

I'll stop because I really liked Jurassic Park for the emotional thrill it gave me watching it in theaters (That was an experience) and the tension Spielberg creates. I dont want to come off as a hater, just like the book much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom