• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 Dungeon and Wildlife videos.

Koozek

The problem here isn't necessarily the VA. It's the direction.

"We're drifting into the deep end."

I understand Prompto's the hyperactive type, but dude's so eloquent for stepping into a cave. What?
I wish SE had a good writer and VA director for natural dialogue/party chatter like Naughty Dog :/

Geg

They kept some of it in. Like the 'Vanquish' attack you see at the end.

I like it.

Yeah slowdown for big attacks is great, slowdown for absolutely everything is a little excessive.

Man Noctis's English voice is still so weird. Those deep Christian Bale Batman grunts when attacking are so jarring

Dark_castle

Something about the visuals for this looks awful, everything is so bland. I can't really figure it out.

Lack of small details maybe?

I haven't enjoyed a FF since 7 then 12, but this is the team that made 12 right?

Even when the game is still development, the character model and lighting is top notch, especially for open world-ish games. But yes, parts of Duscae we've seen so far is quite tame in details and landscape design.

And then you get to the towns..

Restalm-Food-Court-FFXV.jpg

XV_Kingdom.png

..and they're quite different.

This isn't the team that made 12. It's mostly people who were behind FF Type-0, and KH, though Nomura is no longer directing.

A Nick

Neo Member
I'll play using the english VA first, it looks decent IMO. (And prompto way better than the japanese one.)

I'm probably going to do the same, however. I think Prompto's VA was fine in the English one. It's Gladiolus' voice that bothers me most. Sounds kind of forced. Also Cidney's accent came off a bit TOO strong for my taste. Still like her though.

EDIT:
This isn't the team that made 12. It's mostly people who were behind FF Type-0, and KH, though Nomura is no longer directing.
I'm sorry, but what does this imply? His concept is still there.

SPAW

The problem here isn't necessarily the VA. It's the direction.

"We're drifting into the deep end."

I understand Prompto's the hyperactive type, but dude's so eloquent for stepping into a cave. What?

Eloquently put: there is something jarring with that sentence. At the same time, it might be that it reflects Prompto's personality more than we know... deep down he might be a joking Shakespearean ;)

Even when the game is still development, the character model and lighting is top notch, especially for open world-ish games. But yes, parts of Duscae we've seen so far is quite tame in details and landscape design.

And then you get to the towns..

Restalm-Food-Court-FFXV.jpg

XV_Kingdom.png

..and they're quite different.

I wonder if he has ever been to a norther Alpine environment? I think it is a pretty accurate rendition. If they can get this up to 1080p and keep the advanced vegetation shadowing while keep the AA good, this looks like the most impressive open world game so far. The lighting really is awesome.

That was fantastic!

Is that confirmed to be the normal battle music (as in not boss battle)?
Because if it is, I don't think I've ever liked a battle song as much as this since FF VII.

Geg

That was fantastic!

Is that confirmed to be the normal battle music (as in not boss battle)?
Because if it is, I don't think I've ever liked a battle song as much as this since FF VII.

The demo walkthrough from last week had different battle themes for day and night, and what was used there was the battle theme for night. Maybe that's also the music used in caves/dungeons.

Not even close. I said "divorce from the idea of what you think they should sound like." Too often I see Japanese products get panned for their dubs because some can't get used to someone else voicing the same character. Does Japanese VA's sound better? Usually. Does that mean the English is bad? No. All too often you see people say it's bad when all it is, is the characters not sounding the same/"as good" as their Japanese counterparts. I remember some argued this for FFXII back when that was shown. Point is, just because one is better than the other doesn't automatically make the other "terrible."

I don't even know what the Japanese VA sounds like. A lot of times English dubs are just horrible and this is one of those times.

I love, love, LOVE the variety of wildlife we've seen so far. Some species are majestic, others grotesque, but most importantly they feel like they belong in their environments. I loved it when the goblins ambushed the team in the cave; it just felt so thrilling. I hope they'll be able to fill the world with plenty of wildlife and not make it too scarce.

That cover prompt is kind of irritating and takes me away from exploring, though. Hope we can turn it off.

Well, Uncharted is meant to be lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek like that.
Let's look at The Last of Us then, which had very natural sounding and context-driven dialogue.

Well, would be nice to know if the Japanese dub of TLOU was good. You gotta take into account a lot of nuances from Japanese translated to english doesn't sound good at times. TLOU will sound better and have smoother dialog due to fact is a western game. However, MGS and Persona are the exceptions.

Falk

that puzzling face
Coeurl Coeurl Coeurl Coeurl
----Coeurl Coeurl Coeurl
--------Coeurl Coeurl
------------Coeurl

Philippo

Man i need an HD wallpaper of that choboco standing on the rock so bad.

Seems that there are 2 different ones.

This kicks in when he encounters enemies outside.

While there is another one for the enemies in the Dungeon apparently.

Actually one is for daytime, the other at night (and in dungeons),

That cover prompt is kind of irritating and takes me away from exploring, though. Hope we can turn it off.

It pops up from way too far a distance from trees and rocks. It should only show up when you are actually pushing up against something. And then at that point you wouldn't even need a prompt.

dramatis

I'm sorry, but what does this imply? His concept is still there.
"Nomura is no longer directing it" is a factual statement. It doesn't have to imply anything.

If you're going to insist it's an implication that the game isn't Nomura's vision, then yes, his concept being there doesn't mean it's his vision. Kazushige Nojima came up with the story concept for Fabula Nova Crystallis, and it played out as it did in the Lightning saga because of Motomu Toriyama.

So.

CSJ

Hype deflated, that looked pretty bad. Gameplay clearly doesn't work in "dungeons".

Yeah uh, I'm going to have to wait till I get home so I can watch them properly and not over remote desktop but I was trying to find "dungeon gameplay" in that video and it was just running around for 80% of it until the end, right? If I'm wrong it's because I can't properly watch it yet. Also no audio!
That intro with the cliff hobbling and bumping into objects is what annoys me about demo's when they don't get straight to the point and fumble around - but I lack context.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I am having a hell of a time getting excited about this game. I can't be the only one wanting a return to the actual "fantasy" trappings of the older series (and a bit of the lightheartedness).

sappyday

Never thought I would be saying this but I hope they don't show too much of this game once it's nearing release. Look at how much footage we've gotten since TGS, and all of the same location.

Fuck what am I saying. I've been waiting 8 years for this.

Seda

I'm not quite liking what I see from the cave battle gameplay. Combat seems kinda thoughtless. Of course I'll get a better feel for it when I can play it myself.

The game looks fantastic and I really enjoy the English voices thus far. Prompto's line about "drifting into the deep end" sorta sticks out as really awkwardly written though. Just... Strange.

The gameplay and wildlife variety continues to look great, though. The wildlife is well beyond my expectations! What I'd really like to see though is a dungeon with more meticulously crafted innards. The average ordinary cave is looking a tad bit dull.

SPAW

I'm not quite liking what I see from the cave battle gameplay. Combat seems kinda thoughtless. Of course I'll get a better feel for it when I can play it myself.

How would you fight if you where pressed into a corner surrounded by enemies?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm really curious if the animals will have a sleep cycle, some of them seemed to be sleeping at one point in the Wildlife video. If that is the case, then I hope that you can encounter the animals all throughout different times of the day if you know where to find them versus them just not spawning on the map at a given time.

I'm really curious if the animals will have a sleep cycle, some of them seemed to be sleeping at one point in the Wildlife video. If that is the case, then I hope that you can encounter the animals all throughout different times of the day if you know where to find them versus them just not spawning on the map at a given time.

It seems so. It looks like maybe the animals that are a little more passive sleep? Or maybe all the day animals sleep?

Bousf

I have to admit that I'm impressed with what they've shown today, love LOVE the night/dungeon battle theme, can't wait to hear the boss theme *0*

The wildlife video is amazing, yay at black chocobos, hopefully we'll be back to coloured chocobos with unique skills :D

The VA sounded better for me this time around. I may be getting used to the voices, but I don't know, I liked it :)

Are they actually going to show even more new stuff at PAX East? It seems like they are showing too much.....I'm watching because it feels great after years of nothing, but if they bring new demo stuff for PAX East they'll spoil the whole thing bit by bit.

Also level cap of 99 is BADASS and the translator was god-tier xD

Geg

Regarding the enemies fighting each other, when that happened in XIII they were always scripted, like these fights will always involve two groups of monsters fighting each other. From this footage that doesn't seem to be the case as we see Behemoths running up to monsters and attacking them. So will that mean this will be a more AI-driving thing, where groups of monsters aggro each other if they get to close?

Dark_castle

Sure, and then you get your ass kicked like towards the end of trailer, if you enter the cave with little preparation and assume that the combat is really just mindless button mashing.

R0ckman

Good, goblins are back to looking like goblins. Don't know what the hell they were trying to do in 13. Can't wait, a nice modern FF with a hint of classic.

sublimit

Banned
Has any other open world game had such a dynamic wildlife behavior before ?(animals moving across the world,attacking each other,etc)

Razzer

I actually didn't like the battle theme here all that much. Mostly just because the strings at the start seemed kinda OTT for a normal encounter. They create a tension which really isn't reflected in the fight itself.

It was less 'lets beat up some monsters!' and more 'fight for your life!'

I actually didn't like the battle theme here all that much. Mostly just because the strings at the start seemed kinda OTT for a normal encounter. They create a tension which really isn't reflected in the fight itself.

Although I don't know what OTT means I think I agree with you.

I like the song, it just didn't really fit the situation.

Hiko

Banned
Game looks awful and the english dub is cringe-worthy.

It was less 'lets beat up some monsters!' and more 'fight for your life!'

Par for the course for anime games. Everything has to be overly dramatic.

Top Bottom