• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014: That Classic Taste [now ending]

Ultratech

So final party is Black/Red/Geo/Chemist. No chance against the super-bosses, but Exdeath and his minions should be pretty easy (Necrophobe would probably be the most trouble).

Wow, Gilgabot really likes giving me Chemist.

You'd definitely be able to do Shinryu.

Grab a Power Staff for Berserk and there's a Mix you can use to Blind him.

After that, it's just a matter of killing him while he misses 3/4 of his attacks that will brutally murder somebody.

Almost finished with World 1. Soul Cannon was pretty straightforward - take out the launchers, then keep the health up with my two White Mages while Monk smash and Mystic Knight shock. Archeoaevis went the same way, stay healed and use physical attacks, hoping to get criticals with the Monk, though of course its second form was much easier due to its lower defense.

Then I went to Gilgabot for my last job... Samurai! I had it the first year, and it pretty much saved my team (WM/zerker/Geo/Sam) that run. I remember !Iainuki being sooo useful, and it might have some synergy with the Monk. So now I've got a random mode team that repeats jobs from some of my previous years' teams; WM from years 1 and 3, Mystic Knight from years 2 and 3, Monk from year 2, and Samurai from year 1.

Year 4: White Mage/Mystic Knight/Monk/Samurai

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You'd definitely be able to do Shinryu.

Grab a Power Staff for Berserk and there's a Mix you can use to Blind him.

After that, it's just a matter of killing him while he misses 3/4 of his attacks that will brutally murder somebody.

Just did this.

ip3a88FySf7Ah.png

Easy, once you finally get Dark Gas to hit. Chemist is great since you can also add 20 levels for extra damage and give haste to characters without Hermes Sandles.

Ourobolus

Banned
Does anyone know if the "Resume" quicksave on iOS resets the chance for a drop? Or does it act like a save state where the next actions are still predetermined (e.g. the next battle will always be 3x Slimes and will not drop anything)?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the "Resume" quicksave on iOS resets the chance for a drop? Or does it act like a save state where the next actions are still predetermined (e.g. the next battle will always be 3x Slimes and will not drop anything)?

I know it resets the encounter timer thing, so I would guess it wouldn't be any different than loading a normal save. Maybe that is the only thing it resets but that would surprise me.

Exhumed

Yep, was quick enough with Hermes Boots to berserk him before Tidal Wave. Then blink spam. Berserker was hitting 4.5k+ and Knight for about 2500 with Defender. The defender blocked all his attacks, didnt even use up the image.

0cM0fPzl.png

0pToSRIl.png

Now for Omega. Any ideas for WM/BM/Berserker/Knight? I was thinking about grinding a bit then using Self-Destruct and Arise spam but....

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After much debating, I decided to do a second run as 750. Want something different from my last run and 3/4 of those were No 750, so 750 should feel fresh.

Black Mage as the Wind job, that's a new one for me.

Well this is extremely easy so far. Didn't expect to kill Magissa before she summoned Forza.

Boney

Banned
Doing a random run myself now.

Got a White Mage/ Thief / Summoner so far

Guess I won't have much trouble against bosses, but random encounters oh god.

Not sure what's so bad about random battles there. You're able to !Escape when necessary, and boosted Ifrit/Ramuh/Shiva will get you through much of World 1 and 2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Water job is Time Mage. That should offer me some useful abilities, and !Black will give them some offense. Whatever I get from the Fire crystal is win-win, Bard kicks ass and Geomancer would be new for me, even if it isn't as good.

Speaking of which, I've gotten three new jobs this year in two runs. Four jobs left that I haven't had yet.

Knight
White Mage
Red Mage
Geomancer (which I could still get this run)

Attempt to buy frost rod. "You there, freeze!"

Har, har.

Killing Zu enemies with magic is awful though. Good thing I don't need the brave blade, plinking away at one was enough. Sticking to the forests and the dogs I can 1HKO with boosted MT fire.

Ourobolus

Banned
But my mp maaaan

With the exception of the Sandworm (although it'll basically boil down to you plinking away with your Thief while you heal) you should have zero problems with anything, even if you run from every fight, until you reach the Crystals. And even then it'll depend on your 4th class.

gblues

Banned
Well, I'm in World 2, which is farther than I've made it the last couple of years.

Where's a good place to grind for ABP? I've got the sub so I can go pretty much anywhere.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, I'm in World 2, which is farther than I've made it the last couple of years.

Where's a good place to grind for ABP? I've got the sub so I can go pretty much anywhere.

Objet D'Arts in the basement of Galuf's castle give 4 ABP for a group of 2 and 8 ABP for a group of 5. They are weak to Softs/Gold Needles and Lv 5 Death if you have a Blue Mage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And using Gold Needles is still very profitable, you will earn a lot more than you spend buying them, and the shop in the castle is right there so you don't have to go far for more.

Messed up already. Sold my daggers and then realized I couldn't kill Poltergeists with my elemental rods or magic. So I had to go buy a mithril dagger to equip when those pop up.

Liquid Flame proved to be about the opposite of my previous run though. Whereas I struggled mightily before, this time I just dropped gravity on the human form and broke a frost rod to finish him off.

Bard get. Awesome.

Mages are OP in Karnak castle. I looted every relevant (and potentially relevant) chest - all the money, all the elixirs, the main gauche, the elven mantle, and the ribbon. I ran all the way back to the pot to heal up from the encounters (was low on MP). Killed Iron Claw before he even transformed. Still had 4 minutes left.

Exhumed

Managed to pull it off!

ln4msb6l.png

rS5nF6fl.png

Was actually a lot easier than expected. Magic Lamp Odin did his job. Grand cross ended up berserking my knight which caused her to go to town for 7500/hit. Curaga and Mighty Guard made Almageist laughable. Very high damage team with 2 handed.

Think I'll just leave Omega be, still cant hurt him.

Boney

Banned
Doing a random run myself now.

Got a White Mage/ Thief / Summoner so far

Guess I won't have much trouble against bosses, but random encounters oh god.
And my fourth job is.. Beastmaster???

Huh, that's gonna work well actually. Equip whips on either of the magic classes if I choose, control is huge and I guess Exdeath is bye bye with release.

With the exception of the Sandworm (although it'll basically boil down to you plinking away with your Thief while you heal) you should have zero problems with anything, even if you run from every fight, until you reach the Crystals. And even then it'll depend on your 4th class.
Heh, you're right, forgot how good Summoners are! Just finished with world 1 and everything has been dandy.

Exhumed

Coral swords and hammers can damage it. You could give !white 6 to the Zerker and use a rune axe for the criticals or just go two handed.

It's gonna be tough though

Coral Swords still do 0 damage at level 41 with 2 handed. I haven't tried hammers or Rune Axe though. May play around with it.

Any tips on beating ExDeath just before the world merges? Is there a certain level I should be at? I've torn through everything this far but he's stopped me cold.

Jobs are Samurai, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, and Ninja.

Boney

Banned
Any tips on beating ExDeath just before the world merges? Is there a certain level I should be at? I've torn through everything this far but he's stopped me cold.

Jobs are Samurai, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, and Ninja.
You could try using reflect rings and rush towards the second part of the fight, in which he casts -aga spells.
Zenigage should be a good damage source, keep everyone hasted and it'll only be a few turns.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If I get chemist I should be able to beat Shinryu again, and I should already be able to beat Omega. Except I've never been successful against Omega since it still counters while stopped IIRC. Maybe this time!

Black/ Time is awesome in boss battles and group random encounters. Not so much against stronger solo random encounters. I just realized I'm a couple levels lower than usual at the library. Just hit 14, need to get through it without leveling up because of L5 Death.

Byblos. Just lol. Preemptive strike sealed his fate immediately, haste on the flame rod user and spammed Fira. He only got one counter and one attack in.

Soul Cannon. Just lol. Apparently Romeo's Ballad works on the rocket things, I beat it without losing a single HP.

ProvostZak

Neo Member
World 2 down! After an unexpectedly-short interlude to confuse a Hellraiser into teaching me White Wind, ExDeath fell quickly to Air Knife-enhanced Aeroga and the brutally effective combination of Carbuncle and Golem. I was honestly a little surprised how easily he went down.

The unexpected star of my team has been, unexpectedly, my Summoner. Everyone here told me going in that my Blue Mage would be awesome, but I had forgotten that, in FFV, there are more than just 'elemental damage' summons. No disrespect to Titan (who is awesome), but in a Fiesta where I have no White Magic and, until recently, no healing magic of any kind, the ability to block and reflect damage has been critical.

More expectedly, my two berserkers are turning into kind of a drag. Their damage output is alright, but the only advantage they have over my magic users is the lack of MP use. None of my other classes have any good abilities to give them, which has really held them back. Hopefully some better weapons will come along to boost their damage now that I'm in World 3!

archer92

Neo Member
Finished my second run.

Random. Thief/Black Mage/Ninja/Beasmaster

4lxuPEf.png

I forgot to get Magic Lamp so this got harder than it had to be. Any attack would kill a party member that was not a Beastmaster, which meant I was spending my Phoenix Downs quickly. I was able to kill Almagest part before it casted the spell. Grand Cross part was not a problem, since I had my Beastmasted Dual Wielding Dragon Whiskers (stole them from Shinryu). To deal with last two parts I attacked the Front part with spells like Firaga and Flare, while I threw my best weapons at Back part.

In that screenshot I was already out of Phoenix Downs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at my victory pictures and realized Dragoon is cursed. Or rather, a curse on all the characters except the Dragoon.

Out of seven completed runs, I have had Dragoon three times. Those three runs are the only times I beat Neo Exdeath with a KOed character. Two of three times, the Dragoon was the last one standing, and the third was a Dragoon and Mystic Knight.

Archeoaevis decided not to go down as easy as he did last time, when I killed it's first phase with a counter attack so it died early. The first four phases were easy, spammed magic, made it hurt. The last phase was basically just my Bard attacking it for 120ish damage. With haste on me and slow on it, and using the healing staff to save myself from confused allies, it was still very easy, just long.

And... Chemist. Really now. This is probably my most overpowered party yet. Black/Time/Bard/Chemist.

jLliVFFPERLlr.png

Thought you could escape the mighty Galuf? Ha!

Actually "killed" him here, used gravity + stop until gravity did less than 500 damage, then popped him with a rod boosted blizzara to finish him off. Elixir Get.

graywords

Just finished off World 2 on this second run.

Named my hero AssButz, and he's really living up to his name so far.

20140703_190449.jpg

"I'm AssButz, I wander the world or whatever. Now shut up and get on the chocobo."

Of course I had to make the window color a bit more assbutzy.

Here is AssButz being scolded by Galuf for brutally sucker-punching a geriatric werewolf. The wound would eventually prove fatal.

20140707_211154.jpg

"AssButz, what the hell!? He was, like, 80!"

The party decided to gang up on our hero and toss him into the portal during this battle. Unfortunately, destroying it somehow ended up saving him. There was much disappointment.

20140708_210632.jpg

The party managed to defeat Exdeath, thanks to L3 Flare spam and one Yellow Dragon release. It would have been two Yellow Dragons, but AssButz decided it would be funny to swap out his Yellow Dragon for a Red Dragon, which just kept Exdeath's armor warm with its Atomic Ray.

(This was actually my fault, for resetting the game after a botched 2nd capture, and forgetting I hadn't saved after my first capture.)

20140709_200403.jpg

On to world 3!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Another nice thing about this party is how it is fairly ABP-light.

Chemist really only needs mix from level 2 (45 ABP).
Bard is mastered for Sing very quickly (175 ABP).
Black and Time need to hit level 6 to use all the spells (280 ABP).

Much better than some of these jobs that need 400+ ABP to get or share their good abilities.

And Return is great to re-roll those back attacks. Prior to getting Return those were the biggest threats, since my paper-thin defenses were left in the front row to get thrashed.

neoemonk

Doing a classic run with White Mage, Black Mage, and two Thieves. I've hit my first wall with the second form of Archaeoaevis. I can break rods to get through to the first kill, but he wipes me out on the second form, usually with Maelstrom followed by an all party attack.

Right now the only option I can think of is grind for a flame ring or two to help keep my thieves up. Everyone is level 19 as well so I'd level up a bit in the process.

If anyone has a better idea let me know. Or if that's my best bet, please let me know if there's a better place than Ronka Ruins to grind at this point in the game.

Having a rough tie with Archaeoaevis.

Monk + Mystic Knight/Sorceror + Bard

I honestly don't know what to do now. The sandworm was a bit of a pain until I just went super careful on it, attack only when I know it would hit and using Chakra so save my ass repeatedly. This one I don't know what to do. As soon as it starts using Blaze I'm toast.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Having a rough tie with Archaeoaevis.

Monk + Mystic Knight/Sorceror + Bard

I honestly don't know what to do now. The sandworm was a bit of a pain until I just went super careful on it, attack only when I know it would hit and using Chakra so save my ass repeatedly. This one I don't know what to do. As soon as it starts using Blaze I'm toast.

You should have Mighty March which will put regen up. That will help with healing. Barehanded will help Mystic Knights with damage output.

If you are REALLY desperate, put Counter on as many characters as possible, deal as close to 1600 damage as possible without going over and defend. When you hit him with the counter attack and the damage goes over 1600 he will die.

neoemonk

I just beat Archaeoaevis with the same setup by flipping from active battle to wait. It felt cheap but I really didn't want to grind forever, and it allowed me to keep my HP up through the fight. In active mode he was getting two attacks in before I could get a heal off and the Maelstrom/full party attack combo was devastating me.

gblues

Banned
Thanks for the tip about using the basement in Castle Bal. I've almost got my entire party maxed in job levels and I'll be ready-ish to go on to the Crystals.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
#victoryturtle

jboPiwVtU6ropc.png

Figure I might as well go all-out as far as "superbosses" go. Krile had float to avoid his going away gift. Missed screenshot of him fading, unfortunately.

neoemonk

I'm getting my ass kicked with this classic party. I don't think I've ever had this many game overs. Gilgamesh bridge fight just killed me...Gilgamesh!

neoemonk

I guess I should stop complaining and start casting protect at the start of every boss battle. Amazing how much easier that Gilgamesh fight was. Heap scorn on me. I deserve it.

You should have Mighty March which will put regen up. That will help with healing. Barehanded will help Mystic Knights with damage output.

If you are REALLY desperate, put Counter on as many characters as possible, deal as close to 1600 damage as possible without going over and defend. When you hit him with the counter attack and the damage goes over 1600 he will die.

Graywords and I were talking about that exact strategy earlier today. I was thinking that may be less trouble because I can just keep using chakra the whole time to stay alive and wait for him to hit one of the 2 monks or do what you suggested and have everyone use counter, though at the moment I cannot remember if everyone has it.

gblues

Banned
Killer Bow + Berserker = dead crystals. The Death effect hit most of them before they started spamming -aga spells, and Shell mitigated that.

Onward to ExDeath and World 3!

Decided to start a second run. Got Blue Mage and Time Mage so far, so I guess this isn't going to be difficult in any way. Should be quite different from my first run (Knight/Zerker/W.Mage/Zerker) however.

Ourobolus

Banned
Blue/Zerk/Beast/???
- At Soul Cannon. No way to heal other than Potions. Not a terrible fight, but the lack of healing puts a damper on my success rate. A Sand Bear will probably be useful, though.

Thief/Red/Red/Monk
- In the Pyramid. Still trying to get Kaiser Knuckles to drop from the goddamn Steel Fists in the monster-in-a-box for the Black Garb. Constant resets don't seem to suggest that it will reset the success rate. :(

graywords

Blue/Zerk/Beast/???
- At Soul Cannon. No way to heal other than Potions. Not a terrible fight, but the lack of healing puts a damper on my success rate. A Sand Bear will probably be useful, though.

Blue Mage and Beastmaster? Break lightning rods and use White Wind for healing, makes it pretty trivial.\

EDIT: no white wind until you get inside, my bad there. Well, break lightning rods like mad. :) I think I also opened with L5 Death to get the dang helper cannons out of the way.

Ourobolus

Banned
Blue Mage and Beastmaster? Break lightning rods and use White Wind for healing, makes it pretty trivial.\

EDIT: no white wind until you get inside, my bad there. Well, break lightning rods like mad. :) I think I also opened with L5 Death to get the dang helper cannons out of the way.

Yeah, no White Wind until I get inside. I'm trying to keep it relatively low-level, but I may need to just resort to more rod breaking than the few that I had stored up. Oh well.

Also SAND BEAR

Damn that's a rough party. I don't envy you the endgame.
It shouldn't be too bad, really. Apart from Almagest I shouldn't have any issues (so I will be prepping the Wonder Wand and Magic Lamp in the slim chance that Break kicks off). Getting the Kaiser Knuckles now will save me some future headaches though.
Oh, it's also a Natural run, so wheeeeeeeeee!

gblues

Banned
Damn ExDeath is kicking my ass.

My party:

Berserker/White Mage/Time Mage/Ranger

Seems like I do okay until he's about half way, and then he starts spamming the fuck out of me with -aga spells like he's hasted.

Comet seems to do well for damage if inconsistent.

Any tips? I've already figured out that trying to Slow him just triggers a Haste counter so that's a waste of time.

SkyOdin

Damn ExDeath is kicking my ass.

My party:

Berserker/White Mage/Time Mage/Ranger

Seems like I do okay until he's about half way, and then he starts spamming the fuck out of me with -aga spells like he's hasted.

Comet seems to do well for damage if inconsistent.

Any tips? I've already figured out that trying to Slow him just triggers a Haste counter so that's a waste of time.

Hmmmm...

Well, make sure to haste your own party members, but that goes without saying.

He is weak to holy elemental attacks, so you can always try to get Staves of Light from Metamorphs and break them for pretty large amounts of damage. That is potentially a very grindy method though. Reflect magic might also be a good strategy to deal with the -aga spells.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can use slow on him by reflecting it off one of your characters.

Make sure you haste yourself first though, don't want to reflect haste on to him!

Of course if !white is your primary method of healing reflect might not be a good thing. Otherwise it isn't a bad idea for that fight since Exdeath likes reflectable black magic.

Ruuppa

Some progress for team Squishy, finally:

Took down Soul Cannon with the power of 30 Hi-Potions.
DMCa4AQ.png

Archaeoavis was a metric ton easier, thanks to !Gaia's Air Slash.
ZjvNNvR.png

Doubled back to the savepoint after the fight. Might try to steal another Lamia's Tiara, just in case my 4th job is one that can use it. Gonna backtrack and steal some extra Silver Bows for cash and stock up on usables before going to the Earth Crystal chamber.

MrMan2k3

My party was Knight, Summoner, Beastmaster, and Samurai. I finally defeated Neo Exdeath yesterday, after about five tries. The first two attempts went pretty horribly, although I did get through "tree" Ex Death without major issues.

On the third attempt I was doing quite well, then he cast Grand Cross which Berserked my Summoner and turned the rest of the characters into Zombies. Bartz was dead before he could even attack again.
The fourth try was even closer, but I had been ignoring my phone's beeping notifying me that it was running low on battery power. The screen faded and I thought that maybe I had finished him off, then I was greeted with the Samsung logo that signifies that my phone is shutting itself down.

Finally, I defeated him on the fifth try! Hermes Sandals on all four characters and a steady casting of Golem, Carbuncle, and Phoenix were key to success. Zeningage helped out too. After I had destroyed three sections I made use of the Magic Lamp to instantly kill the left-most portion of Neo-Exdeath, so I didn't have to worry about him killing everyone with Meteor.

Ruuppa

2nd world for team Squishy! Earth job being Mystic Knight, things are starting to look up. Certain bosses will be super easy from now on.

Purobolos wasn't too tough. Just cost me quite a few Phoenix Downs.
zQ7wzgW.png

*Barely* squeaked by on Titan. Got the +10% HP ability from him, ironically enough.
IDslChZ.png

Manticore was a bore.
h2YvXer.png

Gilgamesh gonna Gilgamesh. His appearance on the Big Bridge was tougher than I remembered.
moEXOkC.png
NAY4r58.png

First Phoenix Down.
8isgR54.png

Off to the North Mountain I go! I remember the boss there being super susceptible to !Gaia.

Got dragoon/black/geo/mystic knight

I'm having big trouble fighting the 4 crystals inside the wooden
tree

Is there a store that sell those fire rings? I'm at level 29 each so I dont know if I need to grind a bit more.

And if anyone knows where I am in the game, how far am I?

Top Bottom