• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see the Lifestream. And meteor. My God, it will be beautiful.

Right? So many aspects sound really exciting to see in HD.

God telling Don Corneo that we're gonna chop his nuts off and watch him quiver in HD...

Fuck I'm still just as giddy and excited as I was the moment Sony unveiled trailer at their presser.

DNAbro

I just realized how amazing Knights of the Round is going to be. Ramuh looks absolutely amazing in FFXV and it just blows my mind how amazing the potential for FF7 summons are.

jiggle

No, because this is an end to the ten year compilation that started in 07, we've already had all our sequels, spin-offs, and pseudo-sequels.
If you believe Verendamus' words
compilations2.0 is happening

I just realized how amazing Knights of the Round is going to be. Ramuh looks absolutely amazing in FFXV and it just blows my mind how amazing the potential for FF7 summons are.
It's so great to have summons matter again
been too long

Jesus yeah.

Incidentally, who's willing to bet they're gonna release an FFVII special edition PS4 when the game hits stores?

That shit will no doubt sell out in a microsecond. Will try my damn hardest to snag one.

With that said, if they do midnight launch for the vanilla game itself, no doubt the festive air among all the fans waiting in line will be something really special.

Sesha

What else did he mention? Spin-off and FF 7-2?

tumblr_inline_mrsgwsfg5h1qz4rgp.gif

antitrop

Who else is involuntarily drawn to a fresh playthrough of the original right now?

I want to remember the finer details of FF7 lore.

I may even play through the Compilation games.... I never beat either of them.

I just got to the World Map and I'm taking a short break. :)

Lulubop

Who else is involuntarily drawn to a fresh playthrough of the original right now?

I want to remember the finer details of FF7 lore.

I may even play through the Compilation games.... I never beat either of them.

Heh, I bought it yesterday on Steam. I'll probably fire it up tomorrow.

jiggle

What else did he mention? Spin-off and FF 7-2?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=142521175
And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

Why stop at 1 remake when you have all the characters and Environments modeled and ready for CC,BC,DC remakes?

So, I am pondering. Should I boot my old French copy of FFVII (With the laughable translation from English that might have been done by a couple of language students. It even has a couple of untranslated sentences) for nostalgia's sake or should I buy the PC version ? (which has a new translation IIRC).

Also imagine the possible trophies for the Remake. If the game retains some of its goofiness we would be in for a ride
plz just no evade thunder 200 times-like challenge trophy

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=142521175

Why stop at 1 remake when you have all the characters and modeled and ready for CC,BC,DC remakes?

So long as we get one complete, competent, coherent, and worthy remake of the original game, I really don't mind whatever else they try to do.

As another user posted earlier, I have to wonder how they're approaching this remake and if it's gonna present the entire game ad a giant flashback or something. I mean it has the city from Advent Children and the narrator uses the word reunion. It almost sounds like an FFVII-2. But, of course that's just speculation.

Koozek

wa...what?
Yup. Last year he said SE is planning to do another compilation for the 20th anniversary in 2017 with the remake at the core (which in 2013 he already said was in planning stages).
And after this E3 there's every reason to believe Verendus. Though there should have never been any doubt, anyway, considering that he correctly described the FFXV reveal trailer to mods here before E3 '13 and also the “summon traversal“ prototype he mentioned seeing which now turned out to be World of Final Fantasy (I assume at least). Plus other stuff like the new Dissidia he teased last year.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm curious to see the new FFX spin-off that he first mentioned a few weeks ago.

Yup. Last year he said SE is planning to do another compilation for the 20th anniversary in 2017 with the remake at the core (which in 2013 he already said was in planning stages).
And after this E3 there's every reason to believe Verendus. Though there should have never been any doubt, anyway, considering that he correctly described the FFXV reveal trailer to mods here before E3 '13 and also the “summon traversal“ prototype he mentioned seeing which now turned out to be World of Final Fantasy (I assume at least). Plus other stuff like the new Dissidia he teased last year.
Oh, and the new FFX spin-off that he first mentioned a few weeks ago.
Imagine having Crisis Core built into the remake as its own campaign!

Danlord

Slightly off-topic, apologies if this has already been discussed before, but in the trailer as pointed out in the OP, Aya Brea makes a cameo as a sort of Easter Egg .

Well, Verendus in his wall of leaks said a new Parasite Eve game is being made. Link.

As a huge fan of the original 2 (never played The 3rd Birthday), I am so, so happy that this could/is happening!
Parasite Eve was one of my first dips into Japanese games I had for my PS1, and I have such fond memories of beasting the game in the New Game + mode, I (and my Mum) completed this game at least 14 times, after a while we got the Super Tool Kit from the top of the Chrysler Buidling and then our weapons became so big, completing the game took a quick afternoon and we memorised pretty much everything, boss fights were mostly 1-shot kills and we never died; it was still fun at that point and held a certain charm for us.

Parasite Eve was based from a book, so the IP is held with the author, but Aya Brea is Square-Enix's IP, hence The 3rd Birthday but I wonder if this is a brand new Parasite Eve game, or a new "spritual successor" type of game but essentially Parasite Eve in all but name.
Is Verendus around to clarify if it's a new "Parasite Eve" game or its a 'spritual successor' type with Aya brea?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Slightly off-topic, apologies if this has already been discussed before, but in the trailer as pointed out in the OP, Aya Brea makes a cameo as a sort of Easter Egg .

Well, Verendus in his wall of leaks said a new Parasite Eve game is being made. Link.

As a huge fan of the original 2 (never played The 3rd Birthday), I am so, so happy that this could/is happening!
Um... why are you talking that list seriously? It seems to be almost all BS.

Am I missing something here?

I fully expect FFVIIR to end with a new stinger to lead into a sequel.
Start the Compilation with FFVIIR (or at least its announcement) and end it with FFVII-2.
Jesus yeah.

Incidentally, who's willing to bet they're gonna release an FFVII special edition PS4 when the game hits stores?

That shit will no doubt sell out in a microsecond. Will try my damn hardest to snag one.

With that said, if they do midnight launch for the vanilla game itself, no doubt the festive air among all the fans waiting in line will be something really special.

0% chance
that they don't release a FFVII PS4 console.

Shouta

You know, if there's anything I really want it's to add content from the Compilation games like Crisis Core. That way they can fill in the backstory without needing to remake those other games. The other reason is that I'd kinda like it if they connected Zack in with the FF7 crew more directly in the game since he was such a big part of Cloud's back story. I also want Cissnei in the game. =P

Danlord

Um... why are you talking that list seriously? It seems to be almost all BS.

Am I missing something here?

Well I'm basing it from the fact that he said Final Fantasy VII Remake is happening, stuck by their guns and low and behold it's true. He's been right before in his leaks, clearly verified by mods and is still here posting.

Mr.Fresh

I bet they go with a more action oriented battle system to match advent children style. Man I can't wait for this it's gonna be like reliving my childhood. FF7 was the first and only game I had on my PS1 for a while.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I'm basing it from the fact that he said Final Fantasy VII Remake is happening, stuck by their guns and low and behold it's true. He's been right before in his leaks, clearly verified by mods and is still here posting.
Huh? That post says FF7 is getting a spin-off and FF6 is the one getting a remake.

I'm confused now... also almost none of those "predictions" ended up being true at E3. New Shadow Hearts, MH on PS4, new Prince of Persia, new cyberpunk ARPG IP, new Soul Calibur, etc etc. There was none of that.

So if he's verified and all, what gives?

Edit: to the posts above, forgive my ignorance, but I really don't know how to reconciliate "verified insider" with that list of predictions that were flat-out untrue. Was it a joke post (if so, why is someone clinging to that Parasite Eve thing)? Again, am I missing something?

Huh? That post says FF7 is getting a spin-off and FF6 is the one getting a remake.

I'm confused now... also almost none of those "predictions" ended up being true at E3. New Shadow Hearts, MH on PS4, new Prince of Persia, new cyberpunk ARPG IP, new Soul Calibur, etc etc. There was none of that.

The FFVII getting a remake thing is something he said before that post. And if you read what he said, he didn't say all of those games are showing up at E3, just that they exist.

Danlord

That isn't the only post he's done, the FF7 Remake was posted months ago, and the list wasn't to suggest being shown at E3, it's just what is coming whenever. If you read the post, you'll see he's talking about when some of them like the JRPG's are going to be shown, JRPG 4 & 5 latter part of the generation so long ways away.

DNAbro

he knows stuff waaay far ahead. Also things change and announcements are moved around.

Xpliskin

That list represents long term.

He wasn't saying everything would be announced at E3.

He also said "3 games will dominate the discussion after E3":
S3, FF7Remake and TLG.

He's as legit as you can get.

So DMC 5 is a thing, and the vibe I'm getting from Itsuno on the Capcom Unity confirms this too.
When asked which DMC is his favorite, he said "the latest one".

Edit: to the posts above, forgive my ignorance, but I really don't know how to reconciliate "verified insider" with that list of predictions that were flat-out untrue. Was it a joke post (if so, why is someone clinging to that Parasite Eve thing)? Again, am I missing something?

he already said since 2013 that we get an FF7 Remake and last year he even mentioned Nomura and Kitase as the Key People

That Spinn-off is another title next to the Remake

And his list wasn't an E3 list. more like announcements that we get in the next years

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Okay, so these predictions were not necessarily about E3? I got confused because it was posted in the E3 prediction thread, but maybe I missed something in the whole thread (there were 200 pages so I didn't read it all).

MH for PS4 though, fuck that's a megaton. I do hope it's true. :p

So I've never played FFVII (or any FF game), but this remake has me interested. Since it won't be out for a while, I'm thinking about picking up the PS4 port of the original.

Can anyone provide a range of how many hours the original takes to complete? I tend to have a hard time sinking more than 20-30 hours into a single game.

Okay, so these predictions were not necessarily about E3? I got confused because it was posted in the E3 prediction thread, but maybe I missed something in the whole thread (there were 200 pages so I didn't read it all).

No we will hear about those predictions in the next years he said

hes probably the most legit Insider by now, so many of his announcements turned out to be true/ and FF7 is biggest one

MogCakes

So I've never played FFVII (or any FF game), but this remake has me interested. Since it won't be out for a while, I'm thinking about picking up the PS4 port of the original.

Can anyone provide a range of how many hours the original takes to complete? I tend to have a hard time sinking more than 20-30 hours into a single game.

VII is a long game. If you speed run the main story you can do it pretty quickly, but most people wouldn't recommend that for a first time playthrough.

inner-G

Banned
PhantomFear said:
I was just debating whether to start it up on PS3, Vita or play some Crisis Core...

I wonder if Sony knew just how fucking massive the announcement is? Like it should have been at the end of the conference instead of Uncharted 4. Wouldn't be surprised if they attempt a full on money-hat now.

Late reply, but I was actually thinking about that, this announcement had a ridiculous huge response, I would not be surprised if they are already talking to SE about the possibility of making it a full PS4 exclusive.

lol according to Verendus DQ11 will be on Ps4 and we get Monster Hunter Games

FF7 Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Monster Hunter

Seriously what else would you need to save the Japanese Console Market?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No we will hear about those predictions in the next years he said

hes probably the most legit Insider by now, so many of his announcements turned out to be true/ and FF7 is biggest one
Yeah, I'm re-reading the post now, and clicked the original post he quoted (he was quoting himself from another thread which was a "wishlist" of things to see at E3 and explaining what he expected to actually show up and so on) and got a bit more context.

Well, all righty then!

Check your expectations;

I'm guessing a game that mainly reuses existing assets by that description.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know, if there's anything I really want it's to add content from the Compilation games like Crisis Core. That way they can fill in the backstory without needing to remake those other games. The other reason is that I'd kinda like it if they connected Zack in with the FF7 crew more directly in the game since he was such a big part of Cloud's back story. I also want Cissnei in the game. =P
I hear this. More stuff about Deepground, the other Turks, and Old Avalanche would be nice, too.

Even characters that already existed, like Tseng, President Shinra, and Reeve, have since become much more fleshed out. I hope to see traces of their characterization from BC/CC/DoC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Check your expectations;

I'm guessing a game that mainly reuses existing assets by that description.
Heh, if it's even a port of MH4 on console (I don't care if it's Wii U or PS4 even), I'd be happy at this point. I just can't stand playing on handhelds, especially for long periods of time. ^^

Anyway, I wonder how much FF7 will help with the currently abysmal sales of the PS4 in Japan. Back in 1997 the JRPG market exploded with FF7, will we see another revival? Is Japan going apeshit over this news, or it's mostly in the west that we see the "OMG MEGATON" reactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom