• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think XV had character switching when it was still Nomura's project.
If they do go that route we might still have control over the whole party.

It was planned (maybe partially prototyped?). Having played Duscae 1.0 and 2.0 though, I can understand why they took it out. Noctis attacks so fast, and is so mobile, and has so many tactical options, that switching to other characters would be A. Useless, and B. Really bewildering (half the time I'm not even sure where my teammates are). It's a fun system currently, but doesn't seem a good base for team action.

If 7 had fights in more constrained areas with less mobile foes, and if each character had specific strengths in certain situations, I could maybe see full action with switching working. But the more I think about it, the more I'd prefer something like X-2 with more varied positioning and animation.

It was planned (maybe partially prototyped?). Having played Duscae 1.0 and 2.0 though, I can understand why they took it out. Noctis attacks so fast, and is so mobile, and has so many tactical options, that switching to other characters would be A. Useless, and B. Really bewildering (half the time I'm not even sure where my teammates are). It's a fun system currently, but doesn't seem a good base for team action.

If 7 had fights in more constrained areas with less mobile foes, and if each character had specific strengths in certain situations, I could maybe see full action with switching working. But the more I think about it, the more I'd prefer something like X-2 with more varied positioning and animation.

Thanks for the insight, so that wouldn't have worked out anyway.
Then X-2 style really needs to happen.

ffx22.jpg

Ok so
Attack
Magic
Summon
Item

Have a meter by their name during the battle menu or keep it as is like in the original for limit breaks. Make the ATB system a more free form version of X-2 but still restricted.

That's gotta be something worked BACK into the main series. I can let it fly with FFXV, but after that and the FFXIII games, we need some way to control entire parties again.

One of my favorite elements of old FFs was the sense that you were directing a diverse team of fighters, rather than embodying one character with sidekicks, so I generally agree. But XIII worked OK for me. It helped that you could pick any of the protagonists as team leader, and, at least late game, they all felt different and supported different builds and tactics.

SEs battle designers are always experimenting, and obviously X-2, XII, and XIII were all attempts to crack faster/real-time tactical team based systems. They haven't quite perfected it yet, but I hope they keep trying, as no one else is doing much on that front.

Teuoxton

I am cautiously optimistic about this. I do not like Nomura's legacy with the series and am a little worried what will change from Sakaguchi's vision with this remake. Will it be made more like Advent Children in the cutscenes or will the slightly quiet moments be left alone?
Hopefully the silliness is all left in to offset more serious visuals and the soul of the game comes through.

Also, didn't the president of Square Enix once say that if they made a remake of FF7 that the company is officially bankrupt of ideas?

Also, there aren't any screenshots out yet, but we have achieved rather a lot of progress, so please look forward to that. The fact that Mr Nojima's name came up this time once again for scenario also means there's something being added story-wise, so I'd love for you to look forward to that too.

This sounds like, we could see first gameplay in december?? I sure hope so

Nomura mentioned revealing the title this winter. FF7: subtitle incoming.

yep. No Wonder
Remake for an completely new AAA Game doesn't sound good

Jackl

Also, didn't the president of Square Enix once say that if they made a remake of FF7 that the company is officially bankrupt of ideas?

Nah they're not out of ideas until Chrono Break and Xenogears remake.

Then they're tapped out of the obvious stuff.

They need to keep the ATB system but make it more snappy and dynamic just like in X-2. I also wouldn't be opposed to removing random encounters. Or at the very least, making them like in XIII-2.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like if people are forced to choose only one between FFXV and FFVII R, this game will win in a landslide. That is just how big this game is. And if I am to choose, I too would choose this game in a heartbeat.

Anyways, 2017? 2018? 2019? Can't afford to wait too long for this :(

Thanks for the insight, so that wouldn't have worked out anyway.
Then X-2 style really needs to happen.

ffx22.jpg

Ok so
Attack
Magic
Summon
Item

Have a meter by their name during the battle menu or keep it as is like in the original for limit breaks. Make the ATB system a more free form version of X-2 but still restricted.

Switching members sort of made sense in the old versus PS3 battle snippets because everything was really constrained and floaty with the camera pulled back (still pretty messy though). But I don't think that's a look they want on current gen.

http://youtu.be/10M3RonayUQ
(Watch around 4:45)

I'm wondering about something like the prototype of XIII, where you queue actions and then watch them play out, all in real time.

http://youtu.be/_ephE0HMts0
(Around forty seconds)

Could imagine something like that with two teammates.

Zukuu

Banned
I can't wait to hear "Sending a dream into the Universe" in the game again during Cid's flashback. I get chills just thinking about it. Ever since I heard it, it was clear I want this track as my funeral music. It's even in my will.

Xpliskin

interesting quote from Dengenki interview with Nomura

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Degenki-Interview-with-Nomura-Talks-KH3-FFVII-5551

Seems like new story scenarios. Not sure if known.

Quick Summary:

-"It's not a simple remake"
-They're at a stage where they can show screenshots, but didn't
-Won't betray hopes
-No details yet
-Full title in winter, with additional information

It'll be a while before we can get our hands on this bluray.

So the panda guy was right when he said they started production already.

Where do these people get that info from.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Quick Summary:

-"It's not a simple remake"
-They're at a stage where they can show screenshots, but didn't
-Won't betray hopes
-No details yet
-Full title in winter, with additional information

It'll be a while before we can get our hands on this bluray.

So the panda guy was right when he said they started production already.

Where do these people get that info from.

These blurays*

Hopefully ;_;

Reveirg

Now I am sad again... and that in a FF VII remake thread. You just did the unimaginable. I was so stoked for FF versus 13. No Stella, no party scene, no Romeo and Juliet vibe, no dark realistic city, nothing is still in the game. I bet even the musik is gone. =(

Most, if not all themes from old trailers are confirmed to be back.

(Both songs from that trailer are.)

Fdkn

Checked the last few pages and didn't found this so I'll post it:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

Nomura said:
The "HD" PC version is coming to PS4 already. We don't need two of the same thing. Even if we beautified and upgraded the visuals -- something that's bound to happen. If it's a full remake, then of course, we want to take a different approach. If we actually just upgraded the visuals -- there'd be no need for me to direct it.

Well, I can't honestly say. But things will change.

The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

more on the link

I'm totally ok with this.

Now I am sad again... and that in a FF VII remake thread. You just did the unimaginable. I was so stoked for FF versus 13. No Stella, no party scene, no Romeo and Juliet vibe, no dark realistic city, nothing is still in the game. I bet even the musik is gone. =(

Damn, didn't mean to be Mr. BuzzKill. Solace yourself in how shitty the battle footage looked!

I actually think XV is going to be pretty sweet, but no denying things have changed (although yes, music is still in, and Lucis the tokyo-esque city is also definitely still in).

Wasn't that a big plot point in the movie? Some event called The Reunion? It's been ages since I watched it but that sticks out somehow
Not him, but because AC is is bad.

Clouds personality was crap and nothing liek end of FF7 cloud.

He made progress, got over his mako/jenova bullcrap.

He's support to be a cocky smartass, not emo sulking away.

Mmm, but the Reunion is also a big plot point in the original game. I guess what I'm asking is why it makes you think of AC specifically instead.

Prototype

Nostalgia hitting me pretty hard, feel like it may be time for another play through of 7.

Have a question about modding 7 if anyone here knows. All I'd really like to do is just replace the chibi models on maps/fields with the in battle models. Is there a way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom