• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. They were posted in a different thread so no doubt many people missed them

It's important to note that even though she has connections this information isn't definitive (and I'm sure she would advise against taking her words as 100% fact), even if it's true right now, things change. But at the moment that's how things look
After the fan reaction the only thing I see changing is it becoming a full exclusive. I fully expect when we hear about the game in Winter that the wording will change to "Exclusively on Playstation 4".

Teuoxton

I just realized that Disney might try to get Biggs' and Wedge's names changed.

Wait why didn't Lucasarts go after that in the first place? FF1-6 had them as names too now that I recall.

After the fan reaction the only thing I see changing is it becoming a full exclusive. I fully expect when we hear about the game in Winter that the wording will change to "Exclusively on Playstation 4".

If it's going to happen I hope it gets announced sooner than later. Going to be a long 2 or 3 years if every FF7 thread becomes "are we SURE it's exclusive?"

No worries. They were posted in a different thread so no doubt many people missed them

It's important to note that even though she has connections this information isn't definitive (and I'm sure she would advise against taking her words as 100% fact), even if it's true right now, things change. But at the moment that's how things look

I trust her and she has no reasons to tell things if she doesn't now but in the same time i wonder why sony did'nt tell " Console exclusive PS4 " like they did for a lot of games.

Moreover, i juste read it :

Another big E3 reveal for you was the HD Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which was a huge crowd pleaser. How long does the timed exclusivity deal last?

We don't have anything to say about that at this point in time.

I understand. I remember when Microsoft announced the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal, and Phil Spencer was engulfed by the press who were asking him how long the exclusivity lasted. I feel this issue deserves the same scrutiny.

Yes, but that whole thing was very ambiguous.

Yes, but this is ambiguous as well. No one knows how long Final Fantasy 7 is a timed exclusive for.

[PR spokesperson: "At this stage, we are announcing that it's coming to our platform. There's nothing else we can say, in terms of exclusivity."]

But that is ambiguous. People who want to buy this game don't know how long it will remain as a PlayStation 4 exclusive.

[PR spokesperson: "At this stage, we are just saying announcing the title, so it's very common, especially at this stage, to say it's coming and that it's coming to our platform.]

Ryan: What we're not doing is saying it's an outright exclusive, which I think is a subtle difference [compared] to what happened last year.

I wonder why Sony are not more clear about the deal...

Pagusas

Elden Member

Wait why didn't Lucasarts go after that in the first place? FF1-6 had them as names too now that I recall.

that wont be a problem, you can use names like that without issue, they arent name dropping star wars are even implying the characters are in any way related. Its just a simple nod and a wink, and thats perfectly allowed.

If it's going to happen I hope it gets announced sooner than later. Going to be a long 2 or 3 years if every FF7 thread becomes "are we SURE it's exclusive?"
That's why I think that they will say it in Winter.

I trust her and she has no reasons to tell things if she doesn't now but in the same time i wonder why sony did'nt tell " Console exclusive PS4 " like they did for a lot of games.

Because they aren't sure about a PC release yet and are probably trying to lock it down as a full exclusive.

Because chances are they're still in talks about the specifics and a timed PS4 exclusivity is the only thing they can guarantee as of now

Dice//

Banned
I want this game to have Aeris DLC. It's $1,000 and only make her a ghost fighter (so she has no impact in cutscenes).

Uh, yeah? An Xbox version would barely add anything to the game's overall sales.

Why wouldn't Xbox sales add anything? This isn't going to see light until 2017/18 where there's going to be a much larger install base. It could well add a couple of million.

It was Square Enix who said a remake would be expensive and take them absolutely years to make.

Abdiel

and why ? why " other platforms " can't mean Xbox One ?

FFXV is coming to Xbox One, KH III too, there is no reason.

Because Sony is throwing around a lot of money to make sure Japanese console games keep happening, and the audience for those Japanese games is practically nil on XB1. That's why.

Three

Why wouldn't Xbox sales add anything? This isn't going to see light until 2017/18 where there's going to be a much larger install base. It could well add a couple of million.

It was Square Enix who said a remake would be expensive and take them absolutely years to make.

The question you should be asking isn't "Is FF7 economically viable with just PS4 and PC?"
it's "Is FF7 economically viable on XB1" especially when sales are so bad on it that a port may not be worth the effort.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
an interesting thing to note is that "world of final fantasy" said CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE at E3. While FF7R said "playstation 4 first"
They actually said both for World of Final Fantasy
The trailer said play it first while Sony said it was exclusive.
I have a feeling deals are being made on the fly and FFVIIR was still in negotiations.

Three

an interesting thing to note is that "world of final fantasy" said CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE at E3. While FF7R said "playstation 4 first"

First on PS4 might mean releases on PS4 then PC later on while World of Final Fantasy gets a PS4, VIta and PC release simultaneously. Console exclusive usually means PC and specific console.

I thought FF13 broke 2 million on the 360, I'd need to look that up.

Though you could put it another way, FF13 was a mess and isn't comparable to FF7 :p
FF13 was coasting on years and years of hype, it's quality was irrelevant. Even the sequels which had way lower sales sold like 4 to 1

Just look at recent examples, Type 0 HD was a fart in the wind as far as Xbox is concerned. The audience simply isn't there. I think FF7R could easily sell what 13 sold total just on PS4 alone, plus they have Sony funding;

FF13 was coasting on years and years of hype, it's quality was irrelevant. Even the sequels which had way lower sales sold like 4 to 1

Just look at recent examples, Type 0 HD was a fart in the wind as far as Xbox is concerned. The audience simply isn't there. I think FF7R could easily sell what 13 sold total just on PS4 alone, plus they have Sony funding;

I do agree with you, I'm just not entirely used to 3rd party exclusives in this day and age due to money involved. I like to think they'd spend a stupid amount of money on this, but it doesn't even need to be the case and people would still love it.

Piggus

Sony isn't a charity service. They're not going to spend millions on this only to let MS have it too for nothing.

And as stated, the Xbox audience has different tastes, to put it kindly.

Abdiel

I do agree with you, I'm just not entirely used to 3rd party exclusives in this day and age due to money involved. I like to think they'd spend a stupid amount of money on this, but it doesn't even need to be the case and people would still love it.

Did you see SE's conference? All the Japanese games shown were PS4 exclusive, weren't they? The Western titles (Deus Ex/Just Cause) were clearly stated for both, because they'll sell.

Not only that, Atlus has Persona 5 that's a 3rd party exclusive. Omega Quintent (never played, but it's there), Fairy Fencer F sequel, Tales of Zestria and the new one Bethersia or something, none of those are going to ever be on XB. Or Dragon Quest Heroes, also this year.

Go_Ly_Dow

Youtube view counter now at 7.2million.

THE THIRST IS ABSOLUTELY REAL.

Also Sony won't comment because S-E haven't decided yet. FF is proven on Playstation. It's still a uncertain entity on Xbox. Nearly all Japanese games are.

With Sony being market leader they will firstly see how FFXV performs before making a decision. Type-0 was bomba on XB1, although that isn't fair given the nature of the game too.

I just wouldn't be surprised if this goes full on exclusive after XV is out the door. Sony can clearly see the hype now too.

Also Sony won't comment because S-E haven't decided yet. FF is proven on Playstation. It's still a uncertain entity on Xbox. Nearly all Japanese games are.

With Sony being market leader they will firstly see how FFXV performs before making a decision. Type-0 was bomba on XB1, although that isn't fair given the nature of the game too.

I just wouldn't be surprised if this goes full on exclusive after XV is out the door. Sony can clearly see the hype now too.
With Sony having money in the project I doubt Xbox was ever on the table.

dmr87

Sony and everyone else has seen the hype, they are probably gonna lock this down. It's a console seller.

ConceptX

Literally just talking about that to a friend seconds ago.

It's insane.

I remember one of the last discussions on here about when/if a remake would happen, and many replies went along the line of "it's too late now, it would flop if they did it now, fans are too old".

It's insane.

I remember one of the last discussions on here about when/if a remake would happen, and many replies went along the line of "it's too late now, it would flop if they did it now, fans are too old".

There's people on my Facebook who don't play games anymore sharing that video and saying they'll play it to revisit their youth

This is going to be something special

Carn82

uh, why? It's not that it's 'Wedge Antilles' in the game.
It's also fine to feature a Luke or Leia in your game. I do wonder what would happen if you use a character called Vader or Chewie or something.

SkylineRKR

Did you see SE's conference? All the Japanese games shown were PS4 exclusive, weren't they? The Western titles (Deus Ex/Just Cause) were clearly stated for both, because they'll sell.

Not only that, Atlus has Persona 5 that's a 3rd party exclusive. Omega Quintent (never played, but it's there), Fairy Fencer F sequel, Tales of Zestria and the new one Bethersia or something, none of those are going to ever be on XB. Or Dragon Quest Heroes, also this year.

Star Ocean, NieR 2...

Sony has their mojo back and Square must've realized Xbox wasn't the way to go for JRPG. They do give Xbox the benefit with Tomb Raider, and their western IP will come to it. But for JRPG they've chosen a clear path.

Pagusas

Elden Member

It's insane.

Yep, I cant believe anyone would think this would flop. FF7 is a milestone moment in videogame history. People who never even played it know of it. People who werent even alive when it was released know of it. The game is credited with legitimizing the Playstation brand, with bringing RPR's to america in a serious fashion, to helping establish a cinematic game space, and to opening up games to movie like advertising and merchandising. I honestly believe half the reaction videos I've seen feature people under the age of 20 and likely have never even touch FF7, yet somehow they know the charecters, setting, music and why its such a big deal. All of us in our late 20's/early 30's though are just foaming at the mouth though, as the game hit our demographic at the exact perfect time for maximum impact.

Some people never cared for the game, some people like other FF's better, but everyone can agree FF7 was the most influential RPG ever released. The sales on this game will be huge, specifically day 1. It wont be GTAV huge, but it will be a 10+ million seller.

The best analogy i can make for this game is FF7r is like Jurassic World. who know if it will review well, or even be good, but the nostalgia factor alone is going to elevate it to insane sales.

But guys guys guys. These models in the remake
FREE_ITEM115.jpg

Let me prepare my weak heart for this
composure.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

With Sony having money in the project I doubt Xbox was ever on the table.

I don't think there is any money on the table. Not yet anyway. Otherwise they would have said PS4 exclusive.

S-E won't tie themselves down until XV is out. I would expect XV to sell less than 1mil units worldwide on Xbox, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom