• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniels

The same way as cloud does later on. But that doesnt replace cloud's meeting, does it

No its just cheapens it by a whole lot and is weird, its all for stupid "eyewinks" that dont work but instead just disgust. Well its all imo of course :)
so i agree to disagree and stuff^^

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It does a much better job with the story it isn't trying to tell than the one that it is. SOLDIER's internal strife, seeing the upper plate of Midgar, seeing what SOLDIERS do both on and off the job and giving them a face and a purpose, showing the contrast between slum life and corporate life, showing us how Shin-ra screws up your family life (I love how Genesis had normal parents and it was good guy Angeal's dad who was messed up), giving Hojo a scientific rival where he was the only scientist at all in the original in a world where that's pretty important (besides Gast, who was dead), showing us a bit of the war with Wutai that was only briefly mentioned, showing us more of Cloud and what he was like as a Shin-ra grunt, the stuff I already mentioned about Seph and Tseng, etc.

The "become a hero" story was basically fluff to show us all of that. At least, that's how I see Crisis Core.

This actually rings a significant long-dormant bell with me, haha. I do recall having much more positive feelings of the game until the story ramped up and concluded. Crisis Core did a great job with everything you mentioned, and I've forgotten that in the seven years since I played it.

klee123

Ah so it is coming to the Xbox One down the line? Sony can't secure shit, the incompetence cobtinues. Great news for Xbox One only owners though, they deserve to play the game as much as PS4 and PC people.

I wouldn't say it's incompetence. Securing a game to be lifetime exclusive would likely cost a lot more money than a timed one and really, Sony and even S-E are well aware that the PS4 will take the majority of the sales anyways especially now since going to be on PS4 first.

As it stands, Sony is probably much better off using the funds to fund more first party jrpgs instead.

They should let sony market the game this time.

It should only be shown when ready at E3,Gamescome,TGS and their new experience in december.On Sony's stage.

Outside of these major events,It shouldn't be shown imo.

They should treat it like other major AAA games,with some measure of grace.Much like Uncharted and other big games.

Yup

SgtCobra

I wouldn't say it's incompetence. Securing a game to be lifetime exclusive would likely cost a lot of money than a timed one and really, Sony and even S-E are well aware that the PS4 will take the majority of the sales anyways especially now since going to be on PS4 first.

As it stands, Sony is probably much better off using the funds to fund more first party jrpgs instead.
It was a bait to get him to reply haha (yeah I'm horrible), see my previous posts in this thread.

Dark_castle

Everyone sleeping on FFXV.

Boy are you all going to feel foolish when you realise that not only is it a bigger game than the FF7 Remake, it's a better game.

Biggest, and best selling Finale Fantasy ever. Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

Sometimes I cannot tell if Verendus is just trolling or being serious. Halp.

-Ryn

Banned
I hope they don't pull any punches with the remake.

The game explored a lot of themes, some mature and others whimsical, and it managed to balance them out. The game had a lot of character. Cid acting like an utter asshat early on for example was not treated as a positive trait in the game. Later on he realizes how much of a prick he was being and actually grows as a character. Don't get rid of these things just to avoid offending someone. Now stuff like Cloud beating Aerith... that could be altered to make more sense I suppose since it really is odd that his punches didn't turn her into a bloody pulp.

As for Zack's role in the game; while I hope they keep the final stand aspect of Zack's story in the remake, I do think it'd be interesting to make his final moments a mix of Crisis Core and the original. Perhaps have Cloud manage to crawl over to him and he's barely able to mutter a few words or alternatively, he isn't able to really say anything but he manages to pass Cloud his Buster sword just before dying.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just very-very iffy on the notion that a person is not strong and heroic if he's defeated by three fully armed soldiers. It's not an arm-wrestling contest.
Oh I completely agree with that sentiment.

I just like the idea of Zack going out fighting. His last stand in Crisis Core was a very well done moment in the series for multiple reasons imo such as illustrating the strength of a SOLDIER, as a character defining moment for Zack and as a tragic but bittersweet ending to his story. Despite how hard he fought he still couldn't manage to win out in the end (made even worse given how close they were). What with him being someone Cloud looked up to and a 1st class Soldier it just feels... better IMO. Not necessarily more heroic than the alternative of being taken out by a small ambush though. In both scenarios he died doing something heroic (saving Cloud).

This is true for then 2nd and 3rd class SOLDIERs to. The 3rd class guys are by far the hardest and most powerful enemies in the Shinra HQ!

Plus Crisis Core was on about the mass desertion of SOLDIER members. All the big name dudes died and many others got Genesis'd. Wouldn't surprise me if Shinra suddenly early promoted a whole bunch of peeps ta fill in the ranks after that whole ordeal like they did with Elena.
That's actually an interesting explanation I haven't really thought of before. It would make sense given the number that left.

Turin

Banned
Man, after a while I'm probably just going to try and put FF7 out of my mind as much as I can till it finally gets here. lol

but he does, in the Sleeping Forrest dream

I'm not sure why they'd need to work around Cloud's breakdown when he's not even in control and it's kinda the whole reason Aeris takes matters into her own hand.

That's another thing.

You'd think Tifa would have gone to the other party members and been like "Guys, we REALLY fucking need to talk about Cloud."

anaron

Not really, it was human.

She was scared and confused and this caused her to not act at all.

People do this all the time.
except it was constantly being illustrated just how fucked up keeping the lie going was and yet she doesn't think to finally bring it up after how many incidents?

Instead of Cloud beating Aerith they could make him try to strangle her or something. It's equally harmful but "visually less brutal" if I may say so.

It does a much better job with the story it isn't trying to tell than the one that it is. SOLDIER's internal strife, seeing the upper plate of Midgar, seeing what SOLDIERS do both on and off the job and giving them a face and a purpose, showing the contrast between slum life and corporate life, showing us how Shin-ra screws up your family life (I love how Genesis had normal parents and it was good guy Angeal's dad who was messed up), giving Hojo a scientific rival where he was the only scientist at all in the original in a world where that's pretty important (besides Gast, who was dead), showing us a bit of the war with Wutai that was only briefly mentioned, showing us more of Cloud and what he was like as a Shin-ra grunt, the stuff I already mentioned about Seph and Tseng, etc.
I agree with this. Crisis Core makes Sephiroth's fall from grace all the more heartbreaking. I don't even hate the idea of Genesis as yet another monstrous experiment equal to Sephiroth. It's just that I think his implementation and characterization is really horrible.

except it was constantly being illustrated just how fucked up keeping the lie going was and yet she doesn't think to finally bring it up after how many incidents?

Tifa's fear or loss is her big character flaw and her arc is designed to overcome that. Basically this fear is what crippled her of inaction, hoping to maintain status quo. Only after actually losing two of her close friends does her misguided belief shatters and she's forced to get it together.

It is dumb and illogical, but as far as human goes, it makes perfect sense.

Koozek

[...]I'll know soon enough since I'll get a chance to see what they've been doing. Pretty curious on actually seeing this game, rather than just plans and concepts or whatever. It's been a really long time.
Btw, how soon will you see it? Could you maybe give us a tiny update afterwards? Just a simple "Looks good/aight/bad" would be cool. Appreciate it!

ConceptX

All this talk and reading has given me the itch to replay FF7 again.

Fired me right up.

The trailer numbers are glorious, nearly 9 million views and only just over 1k dislikes.

It's going to be a long, long wait till Winter.

Koozek

Guys, I have to confess:
I beat FFVII so, so many times and I've NEVER been to Honeybee Inn. Can you get in there during the cross-dressing quest?

All this talk and reading has given me the itch to replay FF7 again.

Fired me right up.

The trailer numbers are glorious, nearly 9 million views and only just over 1k dislikes.

It's going to be a long, long wait till Winter.

PC version (or ISOs of PSX) with the Reunion patch (new translation + models etc) is pretty cool. Started a game earlier and the difference (good) in dialogue is noticeable.

Was just mucking about in the beginning of the game last night. Had mostly forgotten Elmyra (Aeris' adoptive mother), but her mini arc is really sad. Her husband never returning from the war, her waiting at the station every day as other war vets come home to their loved ones. Then she adopts Aeris and they build a new life together. For her perspective imagine when Aeris dies, :'-(.

First her husband, then her adopted daughter. I guess she ends up keeping Marlene (suggested in On the Way to a Smile), so that's something. I think it's weird you can't go back and visit her and Marlene later in the original game though.

-Ryn

Banned
I agree with this. Crisis Core makes Sephiroth's fall from grace all the more heartbreaking. I don't even hate the idea of Genesis as yet another monstrous experiment equal to Sephiroth. It's just that I think his implementation and characterization is really horrible.
It's a shame the plot.was centered around Genesis so much and didn't give more time towards fleshing out Zack's relationship with Cloud or Aerith. Genesis had potential but was ultimately an asshole who was causing everyone else grief for his own mistakes
though I've heard he became a bit more redeemable in DoC
. Ironically you could almost say Cissnei had more going for her as a love interest.

Guys, I have to confess:
I beat FFVII so, so many times and I've NEVER been to Honeybee Inn. Can you get in there during the cross-dressing quest?
You wat!?

You haven't played FFVII until you've experienced some sweet
burly
honey.

Cross dressing quest is the only time to do it.

Miang

Guys, I have to confess:

Yes, once the quest starts and you're going to get your dress and wig etc, you can get a members card from a NPC hanging around outside.

Koozek

It's a shame the plot.was centered around Genesis so much and didn't give more time towards fleshing out Zack's relationship with Cloud or Aerith. Genesis had potential but was ultimately an asshole who was causing everyone else grief for his own mistakes
though I've heard he became a bit more redeemable in DoC
. Ironically you could almost say Cissnei had more going for her as a love interest.

You wat!?

You haven't played FFVII until you've experienced some sweet
burly
honey.

Cross dressing quest is the only time to do it.
I know, don't judge me :(

Yes, once the quest starts and you're going to get your dress and wig etc, you can get a members card from a NPC hanging around outside.
I don't understand how I could ever have missed that. I've always been one of those who examine every single pixel and talk to every NPC thrice at several different points of time, haha. I think I remember the bouncers never letting me in, even after talking to everyone outside of the Inn. I doubt the (German) PAL version is censored, lol.

Considering Nomura said they had done more progress than just the trailer but didn't want to show yet, we might get some snippets or a vertical slice during the Jump event

Amazeballs, hope soon :)

I am over the moon with joy regarding this news. My second favourite FF game is finally getting a remake. God I hope they remake FF VI.

Darksol

I don't understand how I could ever have missed that. I've always been one of those who examine every single pixel and talk to every NPC thrice at several different points of time, haha. I think I remember the bouncers never letting me in, even after talking to everyone outside of the Inn. I doubt the (German) PAL version is censored, lol.

The people you need to talk to aren't sitting directly outside the place :p For instance, you have to help out a drunk, among other things.

Sami+

amen

the abrupt brutality and silence in the original is so much more affecting than the trashy over the top jpop filled CC version

Late to this convo but I have to agree with this. I like Zack having one last stand and fighting to his death against an unstoppable army, but everything beyond that was just WAY too much. His final speech to Cloud, Aerith lifting him into heaven, "it feels good", the music, like come on too much is too much.

Turin

Banned
I remember being bored and watching Advent Children on youtube a few years ago.

I liked to pretend the Butterfinger commercials were part of Cloud's psychotic episodes.

I agree with this. Crisis Core makes Sephiroth's fall from grace all the more heartbreaking.

That was probably my favorite thing about Crisis Core. Getting to see Sephiroth before the madness.

Late to this convo but I have to agree with this. I like Zack having one last stand and fighting to his death against an unstoppable army, but everything beyond that was just WAY too much. His final speech to Cloud, Aerith lifting him into heaven, "it feels good", the music, like come on too much is too much.

That was Angeal. Remember Aerith is still alive at that point lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone else hope they bring VIII, IX and XII to PS4 in HD along with the FFVII port, I've tried playing the originals but the resolution is killing it.

dalin80

Banned
Please for the love of whatever deity is listening give it an evolution of the turn/active time battle and not the awful synergy/paradigm nonsense that have ruined the later FF's.

Jedi2016

They should release a preview/demo like they did with the original.. just the opening segment in the reactor. I'd be all over that.

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder what the limited edition statue you will be. My money is on the the Buster Sword from the main menu (only the prettier version from the trailer). Perhaps with a feather in front of it or something. Though a big statue that has all of the main cast on it would be fuckin rad.

Miang

there's quite a small window for it IIRC - you have to do it after you've initiated the quest with the dressmaker (found him at the bar etc), but before you actually change into the wig and dress at the dress shop. I didn't manage it my first couple playthroughs. There's a man outside the honeybee inn that can't decide if he wants to go in or not, so gives you his card when he can't make up his mind, haha.

God dammit after all this talk I'm gonna have to start a new playthrough soon. It'll be my last one before waiting for the remake.

I know they'll have to tone down Cid some, but he better still tell me to sit down and drink my goddamn tea.
Why tone him down? I don't think anyone's opinion's changed on foul mouthed rocket mechanics. If you're referring to his beratement of his female collegeue, there might be some different comments made than before... But I can't recall anything problematic.

Its gonna be super challenging to remake this game.

I honestly have no idea what would be a good way to go about this scene.(and many others)

It shouldn't be that challenging if they just focused on remaking graphics.

When you start changing the tone and arstyle of the game then every other part starts not fitting.

Koozek

there's quite a small window for it IIRC - you have to do it after you've initiated the quest with the dressmaker (found him at the bar etc), but before you actually change into the wig and dress at the dress shop. I didn't manage it my first couple playthroughs. There's a man outside the honeybee inn that can't decide if he wants to go in or not, so gives you his card when he can't make up his mind, haha.

God dammit after all this talk I'm gonna have to start a new playthrough soon. It'll be my last one before waiting for the remake.

Aaah, I see. Thanks! I'll give it a try on my next playthrough :p

ZenTzen

Its gonna be super challenging to remake this game.

I honestly have no idea what would be a good way to go about this scene.(and many others)

you know, i think adapting that scene would be relatively simple if they just wanted to replace the beating, it could be just cloud choking her, for example, while we hear the other party membersshouting, "what the hell are you doing cloud", while the camera would focus on cloud or aerith, with a face shot of cloud during it showing that hes not quite there, also the kid cloud appariton during that scene as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom