• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nah. She probably knew Zack died.

In fact when you visit Elmyra to check on Marlene to see if she's safe after the destruction of Sector 7, there is a whole flash back sequence, which Aerith basically tells her that her husband had died, and Elmyra getting a letter a few days later that confirmed it.

Like you said, I think the Cetra in general have a strong connection to the Lifestream and know in a 6th sense sort of way when certain individuals die and return to the planet.
Yeah, you're right. This makes the optional scene in Gongaga even more sad, then, when they visit Zack's parents. If you have her in your party she mentions that she's worried about him because he's been missing, meaning that even though she sensed what she probably knew was his death she was still holding onto hope that he was out there somewhere. Even without the added scene from CC, you have the fact that she sensed Elmyra's husband's death, which means she definitely would have felt at least something when Zack died, too.

That scene in general really shows that Aerith did have deeper feelings for Zack that extended a bit beyond youthful love.

Road

We need to pre-organize mass internet outrage if they decided to make a battle system where you only control one character. I can take more action, but let me control everyone at any given time.

Also one for the ability to mute the voice acting.

As for changing the store to fit the Compilation, it is unnecessary. Most people who have played FFVII most people that will eventually someday play the remake are not aware of the expanded universe story before the game anyway, it is completely irrelevant to them. But it will be done to satisfy the ego of the creators.

But I kind want them to change the way Aeris die. Not only because it is super silly in the original, but to give us, old players, a new experience.

Zack went from being essentially a bystander caught up in this sprawling disaster -- and died in an abruptly brutal and tragically forgotten way saving our protagonist, -- to the master manipulator of VII's world and story.

it astounds me that people can like Crisis Core at all when the writing is so goddamn awful.

Yeah, this. All of Crisis Core was a fanfic wetdream.

antitrop

2) Trophies exist on the Steam version
If Trophies and Achievements already mean almost nothing, then Steam Achievements still somehow mean even less.

I'm playing the Steam version of FF7 right now, but I still want the PS4 version for PS Trophies. Sony and Microsoft do a better job of making them seem worthwhile to get than Valve (Xbox Gamerscore and Playstation Account Level). Your Steam account may have a level, but that has to do with Steam Trading Cards, not Achievements.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If Trophies and Achievements already mean almost nothing, then Steam Achievements still somehow mean even less.

I'm playing the Steam version of FF7 right now, but I still want the PS4 version for PS Trophies. Sony and Microsoft do a better job of making them seem worthwhile than Valve.
Yeah. I don't know why you get Steam achievements for level 1 limit breaks, but not any other limit breaks.

OmegaDL50

I'm playing the Steam version of FF7 right now, but I still want the PS4 version for PS Trophies. Sony and Microsoft do a better job of making them seem worthwhile than Valve.

I don't understand this. What you mean by more worthwhile. All of them accomplish pretty much the same thing. Neither of them have any sort of benefit over the other.

antitrop

Yeah. I don't know why you get Steam achievements for level 1 limit breaks, but not any other limit breaks.

I was talking more about the way the Xbox and Playstation advertise your Achievement/Trophies, compared to Steam. Since they're nothing but bragging rights, anyway, Sony/MS are better at letting you show those off.

As far as the PS4 Trophies for FF7, I would just assume they will be 1:1 copy/pasted over from what's already on Steam.

OmegaDL50

I was talking more about the way the Xbox and Playstation advertise your Achievement/Trophies, compared to Steam. Since they're nothing but bragging rights, anyway, Sony/MS are better at letting you show those off.

As far as the PS4 Trophies for FF7, I would just assume they will be 1:1 copy/pasted over from what's already on Steam.

Yeah, the PS4 version is more or less being based on the Steam version.

I don't expect much effort put into it to be honest. I mean they have a FF7 Remake on the way, if anything it would make more sense to put more effort into the remake then do any extra work on the Steam to PS4 port.

antitrop

My greatest hope for the new menu is that it will let you see a Materia's level without having to have it selected.

Towards the end of the game, Materia management gets pretty tedious and anything they can do to streamline that would be appreciated.

I thought of the idea of using multiple of the same Materia and powering them up using one of them as a catalyst. Say you had two Fire Materia that has 500 exp invested into it, and the other has 1500 exp invest.

Like being able to merge them to make a single one that has 2000 exp total. I mean Materia split when they are mastered into new ones. So why not allow us to take two unmastered ones and merge them together.

Great idea.

OmegaDL50

My greatest hope for the new menu is that it will let you see a Materia's level without having to have it selected.

Towards the end of the game, Materia management gets pretty tedious and anything they can do to streamline that would be appreciated.

I thought of the idea of using multiple of the same Materia and powering them up using one of them as a catalyst. Say you had two Fire Materia that has 500 exp invested into it, and the other has 1500 exp invest.

Like being able to merge them to make a single one that has 2000 exp total. I mean Materia split when they are mastered into new ones. So why not allow us to take two unmastered ones and merge them together.

CGwizz

I just finished watching the CC story on youtube and there some things that bothered me like the Genesis dude, the way they take him and you dont know what happens.

Now i will watch dirge of cerberus story too.

shamo42

There's a speed painting series done by a dude named Lap Pun Cheung that is really good and gives a nice idea of what the game could look like IMO.

lap-pun-cheung-final-fantasy-vii-collection-001.jpg

You can see the rest of the gallery here. The dude is good. I really hope that the remake captures the atmosphere and charm of the original like these are able to.

This is probably better then what Square will end up with. I'm afraid Square will try to make FFVII look and play like FFXV and fail miserably. It would destroy the charm, the atmosphere, the humor, etc.

Wazzy

Banned
This is probably better then what Square will end up with. I'm afraid Square will try to make FFVII look and play like FFXV and fail miserably. It would destroy the charm, the atmosphere, the humor, etc.

As much as I'm apprehensive about the remake, I still think it needs to be given a chance.

I do really wish Sakaguchi would be able to come back for this. It would inspire even more confidence to see everyone big involved.

-Ryn

Banned
Zack went from being essentially a bystander caught up in this sprawling disaster -- and died in an abruptly brutal and tragically forgotten way saving our protagonist, -- to the master manipulator of VII's world and story.

it astounds me that people can like Crisis Core at all when the writing is so goddamn awful.
...wut?

If anything it only showed how little control he had over anything. I believe the character you are looking for is Genesis, who essentially set EVERYTHING in FFVII in motion (which I wasn't a big fan of). Zack is always reacting to these events. He's never actually able control anything.

and then you get Aeris directly sensing his death which totally contradicts the original game - yet again.
Aerith was always able to sense other peoples death. She didn't necessarily know who it was though. She's like Yoda... sort of.

I know I'm late to the subject, but I definitely prefer the way Zack's scene is handled in FFVII over Crisis Core's ending. Spoiler tagging just in case.
You make some good points.

I thought Zack's final stand was really great personally. However his final words could've been a bit better handled, and looking back, the part where he starts ascending into the heavens with Angeal is kind of overdoing it. I can definitely see how the accompanying music (which I'll be honest, I thought was a nice song) really pushes it into.cringe territory.

Go_Ly_Dow

There's a speed painting series done by a dude named Lap Pun Cheung that is really good and gives a nice idea of what the game could look like IMO.

You can see the rest of the gallery here. The dude is good. I really hope that the remake captures the atmosphere and charm of the original like these are able to.

Into 2 separate releases? Sure if it helps with quality.

Half of the content? FUCK NO. Either do it right or don't do it at all >:/

Hire this guy S-E.

Seriously.

Seriously.

It was awesome the way Zack died in VII, so unceremoniously, he just died, without a great epic act of heroism, he just died. The beauty is that he died for someone he barely knew (the whole implications of Cloud friendship wasnt there at all), but he did it because that's what the way he was, but then he...just died, and he just became a vesel for Cloud's new personality, a hollow being that didn't cared he just died, he just got that sword to be reborn as someone he always wanted to be, not because Zack asked him to follow his stupid legacy, just because he was so subconciously ashamed of his own weakness that he stole Zack's identity.

It wasn't an act of friendship, it wasn't an epic act of heroism, there wasn't an stupid speech, Aeris didn't suddenly feel something was amiss, looking at the sky dramatically. It just happened, Zack was shoot to death by 3 guys and Cloud stole his Soldier identity and personality, that was all. And that was the beauty of it.

Wazzy

Banned
Seriously.

It was awesome the way Zack died in VII, so unceremoniously, he just died, without a great epic act of heroism, he just died. The beauty is that he died for someone he barely knew (the whole implications of Cloud friendship wasnt there at all), but he did it because that's what the way he was, but then he...just died, and he just became a vesel for Cloud's new personality, a hollow being that didn't cared he just died, he just got that sword to be reborn as someone he always wanted to be, not because Zack askim hi, just because he was so subconciously ashamed of his own weakness that he stole Zack's identity.

Huh? I mean I agree the original death is great but the friendship is definitely mentioned.

It might not have implied some super deep friendship but I mean, Zack discusses them being friends and how they're going to live and work together so it's not a minor friendship either.

I am inclined to agree. I feel that we shouldn't undermine the relationship they had.
They were certainly more than just simple acquaintances.

It might not have implied some super deep friendship but I mean, Zack discusses them being friends and how they're going to live and work together so it's not a minor friendship either.

It always sound like Zack decides they are friends after what they went through, not that they were friends previously.They certainly don't act like friends in the real flashback.

You make some good points.

I thought Zack's final stand was really great personally. However his final words could've been a bit better handled, and looking back, the part where he starts ascending into the heavens with Angeal is kind of overdoing it. I can definitely see how the accompanying music (which I'll be honest, I thought was a nice song) really pushes it into.cringe territory.

The Angeal part happens after Cloud has left. So I always thought the game left it ambiguous as to whether it was literal or a metaphor or a final hallucination.

Skab

This is exactly why I'm trying my hardest to not get super excited about this project until I see more of it.

I'm not worried in the slightest they know how important this is and love the game as much as we do. I know they plan to stay as faithful as they can all the while adding a new experience for newcomers.

MilkBeard

One thing I noticed in the video, and after watching the IGN rewind (they didn't notice it) is that a lot of places in the slums are in the video, but they are not underneath the 'plate.' All the slums places are underneath the plate that holds up the higher portions. In fact, in one part early in the story, the plate comes down and crushes an entire sector.

I wonder if they are changing this aspect, or if it was just an oversight in the trailer. It's possible that they still have the plate, but during the day they can still get sunlight in. I wonder what their idea for this actually is.

EDIT: I think I might have been mistaking areas above the slums as a part of the slums in the game, because they look similar and from the IGN video they were talking about it as such.

They know each other, but there wasn't this deep friendship as CC painted it.

I enjoyed Cloud's portrayal in CC, their friendship seemed really natural. One of the lightest portrayals of Cloud. Love the scene where Zack put his hand on Cloud's shoulder and tells him if he wants to become a SOLDIER, he has to "hang in there."

Cloud idolized Sephiroth as a child, as most kids did, and dreamed of becoming a SOLDIER. Instead he befriends a different SOLDIER who was a more positive role model.

I don't care what system they go with as long as we can control all characters instead of just Cloud.

Which would have to be the case anyway because he's in a vegetable state for a significant portion of the game anyway

OmegaDL50

This is exactly why I'm trying my hardest to not get super excited about this project until I see more of it.

Three of the four project leads are also involved in the remake.

Kitase, Nojima, and Nomura. All three of them had significant roles in the original release and all of them are also involved in the remake.

It's good to be skeptical, but to have no faith in the current individuals in charge of the project as of now, then it wouldn't be any different if you had no faith back then for the 1997 original release.

Just something to think about, thats all.

Cloud idolized Sephiroth as a child, as most kids did, and dreamed of becoming a SOLDIER. Instead he befriends a different SOLDIER who was a more positive role model.

Ironically the person he thought he knew as a role model to look up to. Turned out to be the worst person he possibly ever met.

Strange how that worked out.

One thing I noticed in the video, and after watching the IGN rewind (they didn't notice it) is that a lot of places in the slums are in the video, but they are not underneath the 'plate.' All the slums places are underneath the plate that holds up the higher portions. In fact, in one part early in the story, the plate comes down and crushes an entire sector.

I wonder if they are changing this aspect, or if it was just an oversight in the trailer. It's possible that they still have the plate, but during the day they can still get sunlight in. I wonder what their idea for this actually is.

The last part just before you see Barret and Cloud in the trailer is underneath the plate, you can see the pillars that support it.

The other parts aren't the slums, they are the upper level, it's just that midgar is a shitty place even if you don't live in the slums.

MilkBeard

The last part just before you see Barret and Cloud in the trailer is underneath the plate, you can see the pillars that support it.

The other parts aren't the slums, they are the upper level, it's just that midgar is a shitty place even if you don't live in the slums.

I see, yeah that makes sense. I got confused because in the IGN video they were talking about it like it might be the slums in the part with the open sky but it was clearly the area above the slums.

ZenTzen

I wonder if they are changing this aspect, or if it was just an oversight in the trailer.

what exactly are those places, the only one i can think of is the slide, while its an homage to the one in FF7 it doesnt really look the same and it looks like its located in the upper plate, while the slums in the trailer looked like they were dark, with the upper plate blocking the sun

Skilletor

The cg gives me extreme confidence on the direction they're going with. It looks like it takes the original material very seriously and us handled with extreme respect for small the details.

anaron

...wut?

If anything it only showed how little control he had over anything. I believe the character you are looking for is Genesis, who essentially set EVERYTHING in FFVII in motion (which I wasn't a big fan of). Zack is always reacting to these events. He's never actually able control anything.

Aerith was always able to sense other peoples death. She didn't necessarily know who it was though. She's like Yoda... sort of.

I never said she didn't? I'm saying that her being genuinely surprised and troubled by learning of Zack's continued disappearance in the original is contradicted in CC's silly ending where she directly senses something awful and cries out.

Skilletor

I never said she didn't? I'm saying that her being genuinely surprised and troubled by learning of Zack's continued disappearance in the original is contradicted in CC's silly ending where she directly senses something awful and cries out.

Then it's also contradicted in the original when she senses, and tells her adopted mother, of her husband's return to the lifestream.

Ironically the person he thought he knew as a role model to look up to. Turned out to be the worst person he possibly ever met.

They say you should never meet your heroes. The hero we view them as in our minds may be completely different from what they are in real life.

Joei

I wonder if with this remake they're going to re-release or somehow re-expose fans to Crisis Core. I never played it but would be very interested in doing so. Maybe release it at the PS store on PS4 or include it in this game.

anaron

Then it's also contradicted in the original when she senses, and tells her adopted mother, of her husband's return to the lifestream.
Except no?

She knew what had happened to Elymra's husband. She had no idea what happened to Zack.

I'm not worried in the slightest they know how important this is and love the game as much as we do. I know they plan to stay as faithful as they can all the while adding a new experience for newcomers.
how can you say this when the entire compilation failed to capture anything about 7 and was generally an enormous disservice to virtually everything about the original?

Skab

Three of the four project leads are also involved in the remake.

Kitase, Nojima, and Nomura. All three of them had significant roles in the original release and all of them are also involved in the remake.

It's good to be skeptical, but to have no faith in the current individuals in charge of the project as of now, then it wouldn't be any different if you had no faith back then for the 1997 original release.

Just something to think about, thats all.

Oh I'm not saying I have zero faith in it. I'm just exercising caution.

The cg gives me extreme confidence on the direction they're going with. It looks like it takes the original material very seriously and us handled with extreme respect for small the details.

The Dolphin on the girls shirt and the fact that 7th Heaven is still a Texas style bar has fully convinced me that they might have an idea of what they are doing.

That dolphin thing especially is reaching deep.

I wanna know who directed the trailer.

I enjoyed Cloud's portrayal in CC, their friendship seemed really natural. One of the lightest portrayals of Cloud. Love the scene where Zack put his hand on Cloud's shoulder and tells him if he wants to become a SOLDIER, he has to "hang in there."

Ironically, Cloud's shattered mind created a SOLDIER, way closer to Sephiroth's that Zack's. Which is why I believe there was barely any real friendship between both, he really didn't know Zack that well, and that's why he become a solider like Sephiroth, cold and collected instead of the more happy going personality of Zack, which directly contradicts the whole CC ending...

The Dolphin on the girls shirt and the fact that 7th Heaven is still a Texas style bar has fully convinced me that they might have an idea of what they are doing.

I don't know, the fact that the whole steampunk vibe is basically gone in the trailer and that the shoot with the shinra soldiers was like watching the new CoD, dosn't gave me much confidence.

I don't know, the fact that the whole steampunk vibe is basically gone in the trailer and that the shoot with the shinra soldiers was like watching the new CoD, dosn't gave me much confidence.

FF7 never had a steam punk vibe, so I think that's your fault my friend.

Also soldiers looking like soldiers is wrong to you?

Hynad

Banned

Nomura directed it.

Shinra soldiers not looking like shinra soldiers is what is wrong.

The whole "fantasy based on reality" should belong to XV not VII, and original VII midgar sure had some steampunk vibes...

Edit: derped there, I meant Cyberpunk

antitrop

I'm with you. I never thought of FF7 as Steampunk, and I feel like low-level Shinra grunts were always supposed to look like regular military soldiers.

ZenTzen

it would be nice if they tackled those moments they had in CC, except the ending, him fighting grunts in the ending of CC isnt the problem, its that its this ridiculous armythrowing everything at him, its ridiculous, i hope that when they do decide to tackle that they change it to at least a platoon of grunts that he has to deal with, show that hes visually tired going from nibelheim, all the way to midgar, show that the trip carrying a guy thats pratically a vegetable while fighting shinra along the way took its toll on him, and i hope his actual death is handled more similarly to the one in FF7, with him going up to cloud to see if hes alright, getting shot, preferably by a sniper for example, and then a couple grunts coming out of hiding and one of them filling him with bullets, then turning to cloud and deeming him a non issue, no last speech to cloud, no inheriting dreams bull, just a guy in the last seconds of his life, seeing his friend reaching up to him and then die, have then cloud pick up the buster sword, give a final look to zack, and then scream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom