• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The remake should have the Ni no Kuni combat.(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

OOvKF3b.gif

I thought as much.

Might they remove it if it does threaten to bump up the rating then. Again, they had to do this in Heroes of the Storm with a character to avoid said bump.

In Kingdom Hearts they replaced his cigarette with... a piece of wood or straw or something:

LrAHMxo.jpg

...for obvious reasons. :p

J-Skee

So, I've never played through FFVII before, but like everyone else, I'm excited for the remake. In anticipation, I'd like to play the original. But should I play the PSone copy I have on my PS3 or wait for the PC port to hit the PS4?

ZenTzen

So, I've never played through FFVII before, but like everyone else, I'm excited for the remake. In anticipation, I'd like to play the original. But should I play the PSone copy I have on my PS3 or wait for the PC port to hit the PS4?

i would recommend waiting for the PS4 port, arent they apparently doing a retranslation, that would ultimately be the way to go

specdot

That's a good question. I'll try and help with your decision.
Do you have games that you have currently in your rotation that can take a backseat while you tackle finishing FFVII now during the summer months?
If not, will you be willing to give FFVII priority when it's released in the fall among the many fall "AAA" titles?
That's the way I would rationalize it.
There are other factors included, such as PSVita compatibility with the PSN version over the PS4 version (I know remote play will work, but I'm talking more total portability) and of course the graphical updates.
There are pros and cons to both, but either way, I think you'll have a great time.
Fake edit: I didn't include the localization because it personally did not affect me to the point where I found it incoherent.
Hope this helps.
Real edit: I misread and thought you had the PSN version. Either way, my advice still stands minus the Vita part. =p

Fantomas

The only major difference is the up-ressed character models. I don't think there has been confirmation of a re-translation coming for it on PS4, but I may be wrong. If you already have it on PS3 and really want to start playing now, I'd recommend doing so.

Sami+

The original game did its absolute best to shit on him. Cloud had the worst life of any video game character ever.

Not what I meant

He had a very strong persona about him for a lot of the game, schizophrenic DID meltdown aside. They made him really fucking annoying in every other thing he was in

Dame

Not what I meant

He had a very strong persona about him for a lot of the game, schizophrenic DID meltdown aside. They made him really fucking annoying in every other thing he was in

Thank you so much for mentioning both DID and schizophrenia concerning cloud. I so rarely hear of these disorders when mentioning him, when he clearly displays both, and discussion of those is pretty rare. I'd like for someone to make an article speaking on his journey through the disorders. We know so little of something like DID, so character studies with people who have them are fascinating.

Agreed on every other iteration of the universe making his character crap,though. This is coming form someone who enjoyed him in 7. he was good in 7 and only in 7, in my opinion.

Cloud was good in Crisis Core, it's nice seeing him and Zack act all buddy buddy. At times Cloud would laugh and joke around with Zack about their country roots, and he would take action, even if he ended up failing.

He was too broody in Advent Children, and he was barely there in Dirge of Cerberus.

Mikey Jr.

You've waited this long, just wait till the PS4 port.

Thank you so much for mentioning both DID and schizophrenia concerning cloud. I so rarely hear of these disorders when mentioning him, when he clearly displays both, and discussion of those is pretty rare. I'd like for someone to make an article speaking on his journey through the disorders. We know so little of something like DID, so character studies with people who have them are fascinating.

Agreed on every other iteration of the universe making his character crap,though. This is coming form someone who enjoyed him in 7. he was good in 7 and only in 7, in my opinion.

I think Crisis Core Cloud is pretty on point based on what we knew about Young Cloud in the original game, and kinda adorable in a pitiful way. Dirge of Cerberus Cloud is fun.

Dame

I think Crisis Core Cloud is pretty on point based on what we knew about Young Cloud in the original game, and kinda adorable in a pitiful way. Dirge of Cerberus Cloud is fun.

mayhaps you are correct in dirge, as I've been thoroughly warned to stay away from that, but crisis core had him fit into the "emo" trope that people who mischaracterize ff7 cloud like to type him as. He, despite his need to seize someone's identity, had much character, and was a slightly apathetic badass, who just wanted his check. he morphs into someone with real vulnerabilities, who finds it in himself to be an atypical, caring human being. i'm such a ff7 fanboy,its hilarious.

icouldnt get into cc because of how mopy they made him. I stayed for advent children because it assaulted my eyes with badassery, despite the lack of story.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A lot of people have strange memories of Cloud's personality, as if they hear so much garbage about "emos" from teenagers who don't know what the word means they get stuck with some weird version of FF7 and the characters that doesn't exist.

Cloud was fucked up in 7, but for a majority of CC he was not in any fashion. In AC, because of the events of 7 he went into depression which he got out of by the end of the movie.

What exactly is hard to understand about that is very strange. Is it because he wears black?

This is not the personality of an "emo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvKnPhqpSU

Turin

Banned
Crisis Core seemed to depict him as more modest than anything. That's probably about right.

A lot of people have strange memories of Cloud's personality, as if they hear so much garbage about "emos" from teenagers who don't know what the word means they get stuck with some weird version of FF7 and the characters that doesn't exist.

Cloud was fucked up in 7, but for a majority of CC he was not in any fashion. In AC, because of the events of 7 he went into depression which he got out of by the end of the movie.

What exactly is hard to understand about that is very strange. Is it because he wears black?

Cloud was committed to slow suicide in AC. I can buy that.

I think the thinking is that it wasn't the most realistically done in regards to his caricature-like behavior(forgetting who the people are that are making this).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Crisis Core seemed to depict him as more earnest than anything. That's probably about right.

Cloud was committed to slow suicide in AC. I can buy that.

I think the thinking is that it wasn't the most realistically done in regards to his caricature-like behavior(forgetting who the people are that are making this).

What would have been more realistic in regards to depression? He secluded himself from society for the most part, until he was forced to come back to deal with other situations.

I'm just looking for these better alternatives, if there are any. What they came up with was fine IMO. Its not Nomura or anyone else's fault that fans can't distinguish the point of character changes or distinguish the difference in character from one game to the next

Turin

Banned
What would have been more realistic in regards to depression? He secluded himself from society for the most part, until he was forced to come back to deal with other situations.

I was referring to his visual behavior(the "not fit to help anyone" scene was a bit cringe inducing). Not the actual actions such as seclusion.

If you're looking for better examples, Rust Cohle was the first thing to pop in my head but that's really not a fair standard to have.

mayhaps you are correct in dirge, as I've been thoroughly warned to stay away from that, but crisis core had him fit into the "emo" trope that people who mischaracterize ff7 cloud like to type him as. He, despite his need to seize someone's identity, had much character, and was a slightly apathetic badass, who just wanted his check. he morphs into someone with real vulnerabilities, who finds it in himself to be an atypical, caring human being. i'm such a ff7 fanboy,its hilarious.

icouldnt get into cc because of how mopy they made him. I stayed for advent children because it assaulted my eyes with badassery, despite the lack of story.

Mmm, you have a wildly different reading on Cloud character than I. I think Cloud's character arc is more about him overcoming his own insecurities.

The "apathetic badass who just wanted his check" Cloud never actually appear anymore post-Second Bombing Mission. He acts that way because it's what he expects Tifa expects him to be like. It's a front for him to be "cool" and be far, far away from his insecure self.

Crisis Core Cloud is so similar to Final Fantasy VII Cloud post Mideel in that he's awkward and apologetic. He even had a brief bout of self-pity at the beginning, The only difference is now he has a mission to do with everyone depending on him. Thus then he put his insecurities aside, without running away with false persona this time.

I mean, we are talking about the kid who, instead of just confessing to the girl he loved, concocted this grand idea to be a SOLDIER first, so that he could be "worth it". Then when he failed, he's so embarrassed that he concealed himself. He's always that awkward, insecure kid in Crisis Core.

Nif

This is not the personality of an "emo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvKnPhqpSU

Agree he shouldn't be emo, but Nomura seems to have a different perception of Cloud. Take a look at Cloud's Kingdom Hearts design or any part of Advent Children.

I mean, we are talking about the kid who, instead of just confessing to the girl he loved, concocted this grand idea to be a SOLDIER first, so that he could be "worth it". Then when he failed, he's so embarrassed that he concealed himself. He's always that awkward, insecure kid in Crisis Core.

To be fair, part of the reason he wanted to join SOLDIER, besides impressing Tifa, was because he wanted to protect her, he made a promise to her that he would save her in a "pinch." Too bad, like you said, he failed and just awkwardly hid himself.

Sami+

:)

Eeehh, I feel like Crisis Core pushed the "ZACK IS THE BADASS ZACK IS THE OG ZACK IS THE BEST CLOUD IS SUCH A LAME-O COPYCAT HE COULDNT EVEN GRAB AN OLD MAN" narrative a bit much imo

Eeehh, I feel like Crisis Core pushed the "ZACK IS THE BADASS ZACK IS THE OG ZACK IS THE BEST CLOUD IS SUCH A LAME-O COPYCAT HE COULDNT EVEN GRAB AN OLD MAN" narrative a bit

That was kinda the point, Cloud does kinda suck, but he eventually overcomes all that in FFVII. Zack is pretty badass, Crisis Core just confirms that.

Eeehh, I feel like Crisis Core pushed the "ZACK IS THE BADASS ZACK IS THE OG ZACK IS THE BEST CLOUD IS SUCH A LAME-O COPYCAT HE COULDNT EVEN GRAB AN OLD MAN" narrative a bit

Well, he's a Shinra grunt. They are pretty lame and, like, the Stormtrooper of FF7.

I do agree that the game play the "Awesome Zack" narrative a bit much, perhaps in part to segue cleanly into the whole "living legacy" thing, which I dislike.

Turin

Banned
Cloud still had enough spine to attack Sephiroth as a grunt and, for all intents and purposes, basically killed him at the reactor after being impaled.

Give young Cloud some credit, guys. lol

Cloud still had enough spine to attack Sephiroth as a grunt and, for all intents and purposes, basically killed him at the reactor after being impaled.

Give young Cloud some credit, guys. lol

Yar, Cloud definitely doesn't lack spine when it counts. The original game even blatantly says that he's prone to emotional outbursts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom