• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I'd welcome a really strong traditional turn-based RPG Kickstarter. Bring it on.

The most successful game Kickstarters are those made by developers who are both experienced in providing the experience promised, and who are passionate (or seem to be passionate) about making that experience but lack publisher support.

The question is, are there any experienced turn based JRPG developers who actually want to make something like that but who are unable to? What if there's just no one who wants to make that sort of thing? Those who want to make blockbuster AAA RPGs have mostly moved on into more current trends, Those who want to just make turn based JRPGs still do, on a smaller scale.

Dark_castle

I will throw all my monies including my bank account to a collaboration of Sakaguchi, Ito and Matsuno for a turn-based RPG along the lines of FFIX.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The most successful game Kickstarters are those made by developers who are both experienced in providing the experience promised, and who are passionate (or seem to be passionate) about making that experience but lack publisher support.

The question is, are there any experienced turn based JRPG developers who actually want to make something like that but who are unable to? What if there's just no one who wants to make that sort of thing? Those who want to make blockbuster AAA RPGs have mostly moved on into more current trends, Those who want to just make turn based JRPGs still do, on a smaller scale.

fiiej2D.jpg

duckroll

I think Sakaguchi is very happy making Terra Battle instead. He likes working with a small team, and it accommodates his lifestyle well too. He can live in Hawaii with his daughter, and only flies back to Japan for important meetings and PR stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think Sakaguchi is very happy making Terra Battle instead. He likes working with a small team, and it accommodates his lifestyle well too. He can live in Hawaii with his daughter, and only flies back to Japan for important meetings and PR stuff.
But think of the unborn turn-based surfing RPG that exists within his immortal soul....

You know, whenever I have an urge to play an action RPG, the last thing I think to myself is "man, I should play one made by Squenix". They don't make good ARPGs, at all.

HeelPower

Thank God SE isn't Nintendo or Pokemon devs who keep recycling the same damn gameplay systems for like 20 years.

I welcome a era of new systems.Simplistic turn based systems have been around long enough and there's more than enough games with these systems(and many more continue to be made)

The only gameplay system they need to take away from the original VII is the materia system.The rest can stay back.

Turin

Banned
The real meat of FFVII was always diving into that world and it's characters.

I don't think they're going to pour all that money into the project if it won't at least have a look of something that can appeal to a wider range of people.

Regarding the "action RPG" debate, Nomura mentioned in this week's Famitsu interview that the game system will be different, but he can't give specifics right now. But he does drop a hint by saying that it will be an "immersive gameplay system". Take that as you will. :)

He also says that the proper title for the remake will be revealed the next time they have news on the game, which should be some time this winter. They will not be using Advent Children models for the game, and all the character designs have been completed by him and Roberto Ferrari.

Two things that please me greatly to hear. :)

Thank God SE isn't Nintendo or Pokemon devs who keep recycling the same damn gameplay systems for like 20 years.

I welcome a era of new systems.Simplistic turn based systems have been around long enough and there's more than enough games with these systems(and many more continue to be made)

The only gameplay system they need to take away from the original VII is the materia system.The rest can stay back.

Totally agree. The combat of the original feels dated and very simplistic, the only depth to it was the materia system and as that actually ties into the story makes sense to keep it.

I hope they go all the way and totally re-imagine it, essentially do what they would have done if they had the same tech back then. Otherwise what is the point in doing a remake as we already have the original and apart from character movement issues and dodgy translation the game is totally serviceable.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Mods pls delete this viral advertisement. This is for pure FF7 talk only!!

Also delete that 'remove materia' post. Too much blaspheming going on.

Turin

Banned
HeelPower, you didn't word that very well. lol

I disagree 100% in fact i dont think there is a more efficient way to destroy all of FF7 than getting rid of materia.
They let you make countless of different combinations and effects which you get in almost no other Final Fantasy or even jrpg not to mention that materia are important to the story (4 big materias second disc for example).

.......I think you read his post wrong.

HeelPower

I disagree 100% in fact i dont think there is a more efficient way to destroy all of FF7 than getting rid of materia.
They let you make countless of different combinations and effects which you get in almost no other Final Fantasy or even jrpg not to mention that materia are important to the story (4 big materias second disc for example).

Totally agree. Except for materia system the combat of the original feels dated and very simplistic, the only depth to it was the materia system and as that actually ties into the story makes sense to keep it.

Just to clarify ,by Take away from the original as in actually put it into the remake.So excuse my awkward wording.

Materia is one of the best systems in the entire FF series and ties importantly into the lore and story.

Just to clarify ,by Take away from the original as in actually put it into the remake.So excuse my awkward wording.

Materia is one of the best systems in the entire FF series and ties importantly into the lore and story.

That's what I originally thought you meant, then on second reading I wasn't quite sure as it could have been either.

Did people have this problem about homogenization during the PSX era when most of Squaresoft's high-profile outputs consist of battle systems in which the characters stand still on the same place and take turns attacking?

This is a serious question, by the way. I was not into gaming during the PSX era.

There was plenty of discussion both by fans and non-fans about whether or not two groups of people standing opposite each other and swinging was compelling, that's for sure.

Most of us RPG fans back then dismissed it out of hand. I think that as time has gone on, and more games have managed to do an action-heavy combat system that not only has systems just as deep, but is also consistently fun from battle to battle, many of us have come around on the issue.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a turn-based game, but I think the tide is very much turning against them, and that Square Enix themselves have in a way, lead that charge, as Final Fantasy has consistently moved to faster and faster combat, and more into the realm of action-heavy, non-turn-based fights.

OmegaDL50

Really? As far as I can see based on recent releases alone there is by FAR more action jRPG releases coming out compared to turned based systems.

Same applies for upcoming releases.

Xenoblade X, Tales of Zestiria and Beseria, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III. All action derived mechanics, no turned based.

Where are all of these turned based jRPGs that are coming out? Outside of Persona 5 and that SMT X FE there is nothing else.

Really? As far as I can see based on recent releases alone there is by FAR more action jRPG releases coming out compared to turned based systems.

Same applies for upcoming releases.

Xenoblade X, Tales of Zestiria and Beseria, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III. All action derived mechanics, no turned based.

Where are all of these turned based jRPGs that are coming out? Outside of Persona 5 and that SMT X FE there is nothing else.

Are you serious counting Xenoblade X as action derived?

That is patently false.

OmegaDL50

Are you serious counting Xenoblade X as action derived?

That is patently false.

Semantics, The characters act immediate upon commands being entered. Outside of cool downs, there is no queued actions between members. all of the parties attacks can and will execute simultaneously. No one waits for their turn to do a move. They all act immediately at ANY TIME.

Semantics, The characters act immediate upon commands being entered. Outside of cool downs, there is no queued actions between members. all of the parties attacks can and will execute simultaneously. No one waits for their turn to do a move. They all act immediately at ANY TIME.

I wouldn't say it's the opposite. It's more like a middle ground (kinda like ATB, but more in the action direction).

You've got three main kinds of combat systems: turn-based (whether the timing of turns can be changed like in Grandia/FFX or not), action-based (Star Ocean, Tales, FFXV, etc), or hybrid (most MMOs, where things happen in real-time, but most of the strongest abilities have caveats to their use, or cooldowns).

OmegaDL50

I wouldn't say it's the opposite. It's more like a middle ground (kinda like ATB, but more in the action direction).

You've got three main kinds of combat systems: turn-based (whether the timing of turns can be changed like in Grandia/FFX or not), action-based (Star Ocean, Tales, FFXV, etc), or hybrid (most MMOs, where things happen in real-time, but most of the strongest abilities have caveats to their use, or cooldowns).

Xenoblade is far closer to an MMO in this regard. Everything is real-time, character auto-attacks are constant with no queue and skills are tied to a cool down meter. The character you control is constantly moving and doing auto-attacks in between skill usage.

It's not unlike the original Guild Wars actually. People make allusions to Xenoblade and X being similar to FF12, which did have a queued system in place. There is no queued actions in the case of Xenoblade or it's sequel though, outside of the Trinity command, but that was a special ability not unlike a Limit Break.

Ikael

Regarding the "action RPG" debate, Nomura mentioned in this week's Famitsu interview that the game system will be different, but he can't give specifics right now. But he does drop a hint by saying that it will be an "immersive gameplay system". Take that as you will. :)

People getting enraged about this Nomura's comment ought to take breathe. ffX-2's system is far more "action based ", "realistic" and "inmersive" than ffVII's combat system yet it is still turn based. Evolution doesn't mean disruption, people.

As for me, they only need to keep 2 elements in ffVII's combat system intact:
- Materia having a major role. Come on, you can't leave this out
- Every member of the team being playable (ffVII was, afterall, far more than Cloud's story, it was quite choral)
- Keep having a deep strategical component to it

As long as these elements are intact, they can do whatever they want :)

duckroll said:
All his comments in every interview so far, including the narration for the FFVIIr trailer itself, seem to indicate that he's pushing a "nostalgia get fucked, this isn't your grandmother's FFVII!" message.

And I absolutely agree with him here. Thing is, people loved ffVII in no small part due to its ability to surprise and put us in states of awe and mindfuckery (see the ffVII replay tread to see what I mean). They need to offer at least some measure of surprise, even to longtime fans like us. There's a lot of a grey space between an HD version of ffVII and a retarded George Lucas retcon. His comments about "no new characters" (aka, "no compilation bullshit") gives me a lot of faith in that regard. I do want to see alternative endings and more elements of dating simulators added, for starters :p

You know what, the mini games are cute and I hope they keep them around, I can skip the ones I don't like (such as Chocobo Racing)... but one thing I really hope they remove is that awful Golden Chocobo breeding. Spending hours on this terrible side-quest to get KOTR is NOT my idea of fun. I really hope it's removed and a better, more fun way to obtain KOTR is included. I dread the idea of ever doing that nonsense again.
dbUgjcJ.gif

Partially agree. Keep the chocobo breeding, but give it a huge revamp in order to make it less grindy and tedious, I say.

Also, they need to make some of the missable, major story stuff mandatory for progress. So many people missed out on huge, important chunks of the story such as the Zack flashbacks, Lucrecia's cave, Yuffie, & Vincent in the original FF7. It would improve the experience for a lot of new players if this stuff was required to progress through the game or they'd miss some really important parts of the experience.

Agree? Disagree?

Big huge NOPE here. One of the things that I loved about fVII is how major parts of the story were optional. You had to research and investigate in your own if you want to dwelve deeper into the secrets of the game, and I loved it for it. You can understand the story without Yuffie and Vincent, but it is great that the more effort you put into the game, you are not only rewarded with better weapons, but also with a better story and better characters. Few RPGs do that thing nowadays.

Dark_castle

Simplistic turn based systems have been around long enough and there's more than enough games with these systems(and many more continue to be made)

Yeah, you're gonna have to give me some examples of the "many more continue to be made". Bonus points if on console.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni (sorta) and Trails might use turn based systems in this day and era but there is no way a AAA big name title from Square is going to copy over the old ATB system 1:1 in 2017 (at the earliest). It just wasn't going to happen.

Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni (sorta) and Trails might use turn based systems in this day and era but there is no way a AAA big name title from Square is going to copy over the old ATB system 1:1 in 2017 (at the earliest). It just wasn't going to happen.

Ni no Kuni isn't turn-based at all. It's a real-time combat system like Star Ocean or Tales, albeit with even worse party AI.

shamo42

Just upgrading the audiovisual aspect is all anyone ever wanted. It's what people were calling for for years and now suddenly it needs to be a huge revamp. As a massive Kingdom Hearts fan, this game going ARPG would make me lose all respect for Nomura. ARPGs have their place, and it's not in Final Fantasy VII

I agree. Fans asked for a remake because of the super low res graphics. Not because they want their favourite RPG turned into an action game. Square isn't known for great voice acting or good action RPG battles. Why should I have confidence in them now?

Prerendered backgrounds in full HD with high polygon characters and I'd be happy. Keep the anime look with big heads, keep the great camera positioning, keep the charm, keep the funny and awkward moments. Keep the fantasy in the game.

Zukuu

Banned
FF 7 has to be turn based in some degree, otherwise you can't effectively control you party members. I don't think they will scrap that and make a fifth game in a row where you play "alone" with ai party members.

As for what is likely to happen, I think it's clear that nomura is going to develop a system that he himself wants to play. Even as someone who would prefer something command based (like ffxiii), I'd rather see a project the developers are excited to deliver than a style they feel beholden to. There is a difference between action rpgs and command based ones, but it's a smaller difference than classic re to re4. The essence is not lost and behind the scenes customization was the strong point from V onward. You can still have that. VII's actual battle system was outdone the year it was released.

What about a system that gives you bonuses/is designed around character switching? : )

The Jason

Going back to the Engadget interview Nomura said:

Nomura said:
The "HD" PC version is coming to PS4 already. We don't need two of the same thing. Even if we beautified and upgraded the visuals -- something that's bound to happen. If it's a full remake, then of course, we want to take a different approach. If we actually just upgraded the visuals -- there'd be no need for me to direct it

Nomura said:
we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

The second quote is pretty much a confirmation that the battle system will be real time rather than turn based, and the party will move freely in battle.

I would prefer a fast turn based system, but it seems very unlikely. It will be interesting to see if they can recreate all of the games enemies and battles in real time. Seems like it would be quite difficult.

The Jason

Or it will just look more dynamic, even if it isn't. Im sure there will be some sort of balance found.

It's possible, but characters will not be 'waiting for their next turn' so things will be happening rather quickly

I am still holding out hope for a compromise too

Visceir

I'd argue that Megaman and Castlevania were even less long gone.

Good point though. Making a small RPG is within reach already. It's that late 90s big budget jRPG which could only exist in the RPG bubble of the late 90s that we are missing....

What about Final Fantasy Dimensions? Was that well received?

OmegaDL50

What about Final Fantasy Dimensions? Was that well received?

It wasn't a bad game, but the touch controls were it's biggest issue. Most of the flaws were tied to the touch interface, if it was released on the either the 3DS or Vita, I doubt it would be as criticized.

I mean look at Bravely Default, that scratches the classic turned based itch, and was well received.

Also Dimensions was a new game, with a new story but with more traditional mechanics, not unlike FF5. Visually it would fit between FF6 and FF7. Basically as if another game happened between those two.

I hope it gets a re-release eventually as a digital download eShop / PSN / XBLA sort of title.

It wasn't a bad game, but the touch controls were it's biggest issue. Most of the flaws were tied to the touch interface, if it was released on the either the 3DS or Vita, I doubt it would be as criticized.

I mean look at Bravely Default, that scratches the classic turned based itch, and was well received.

Also Dimensions was a new game, with a new story but with more traditional mechanics, not unlike FF5. Visually it would fit between FF6 and FF7. Basically as if another game happened between those two.

I hope it gets a re-release eventually as a digital download eShop / PSN / XBLA sort of title.

FFD is a perfectly fine FF5 romhack, but it's little more than that. The story isn't anything you'd have gotten excited about if it had come out post-FF5 and been called FF6.

But as a fun little spin-off that basically takes FF5's job system and mixes it up just a tiny bit, it's a solid title. I suspect you're right, and that it would've been much better received on Vita or 3DS, and I know I certainly would have enjoyed it more there.

21 hours into my replay of FF7. Finished Wutai and that sidequest.

I'm still on Disc 1. I forgot how long a game FF7 is.

I'm still puzzled by how Nomura will keep the goofy parts of the game and the more dramatic parts of the game consistent in REMAKE.

Square2015

Because videogames, pretty much. I remember there being a letter talking about restoring the town.

Found it:

2 Confidentiality Report

A total of eight people have visited
this town this quarter.
Fortunately, none knew about
the incident five years ago.
Therefore, no one knows the town was restored
exactly as it was five years ago.
Our staff, disguised as townspeople
have improved their acting skills,
and we do not report any problems
at this time.
That is all.
Thanks Roulette!

muteki

I'm still puzzled by how Nomura will keep the goofy parts of the game and the more dramatic parts of the game consistent in REMAKE.

By taking out all the serious parts and making it a comedy.

Pilgrimzero

Simple. He won't. Not all of it.

It's a complete remake built and written from the ground up. It will have the same characters and follow the same basic story. Aeris will still die etc. but it's not going to have every scene/dialogue in a 1:1 effort. They've already said the battle system will be different.

The story on a gaming level will be more like FF13 than 7 after it's all said and done, I bet.

Arkeband

Banned
I really don't understand the rationale behind "It needs to be action RPG because that's where the market is at.", because it implies newcomers to the series will be more likely to pick it up.

The entire reason this game exists is because of nostalgia and fanservice.

The original game sold 10 million copies by 2010.

The PSN release of the game was downloaded 100,000 times during its first two weeks of release, making it the fastest-selling PlayStation game on the PlayStation Network.

Yeah, tell me more about how it needs to be an action RPG instead of turn based. This game has virtually no chance of struggling at retail. If it doesn't capture newcomers, fuck 'em.

Nomura's statement is aimed towards purists, those who say DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING, which we aren't - everyone in the thread is on board with the fact that the original battle system is a little stale, and technology now can make battles more exciting. Nomura specifically points out the 'stand' -> 'attack' -> 'go back to standing' nature of the original turn-based and they've been experimenting with making this more dynamic with every entry since - FF8 had timed criticals and interactivity during summons.

Wasn't Sakaguchi living in Hawaii during DS & Wii times as well?

muteki

It's just going to be weird seeing parts like this with more "realism"

Change the plane design, everyone fits inside. Easy.

I don't really think everyone hanging on the outside is that silly either though.

They use the broken plane as a ship in the original^^° that will be weird in the remake :S

Not that weird, a plane can float.

Most of the problems like this can be resolved with a little imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom