• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Looking forward to racing motorcycles and snowboarding again in that world. The wait is going to be long though, isn't it?

Lanrutcon

I think this thread is going to bring out a loooot of crazy. Change the combat system? remove random battles? what? Calm down :p

Best FF rides again.

That sure is some Engrish in that trailer.

So are they going to keep all the weird stuff that won't age well like Cloud being raped as a joke, Barrett being Mr. T, and Cait Sith?

Wait, when has Cloud ever been raped? I think Barret being Mr. T is more a translation thing, and aren't mascot characters still a thing even now?

Durante

it's just as much watching animations play out as XII or XIII's battle system is; just presented a bit differently.
  1. This is simply not true. Like, not even remotely.
  2. Even if it were true, those are not the peaks of battle system design.
Uh what? Attacks and Casts are quick as hell.

If you're talking about skipping summon sequences, that's practically nothing to do with the combat at all.
How does that have nothing to do with the combat? If you fight effectively later in the game most of your combat time is sitting through summons.

Team FFX2 ATB

Short ATB bars and quick charge times for snappy normal attacks, longer charge times for summons/big spells?
I'd like that. Most crucially, one character's actions (summons, spells, whatever) should not affect your ability to continue selecting actions for others.

Publishers don't need to drop bombs at their conferences, there's no point. They can use them as a useful place from which to announce games to get a good, wide spread of recognition but they don't have the same pressure that the console makers have. For Sony (and MS and Nintendo), these press conferences are all about getting people hard for their consoles so that they go out and buy one. Square Enix, Bethesda, EA etc don't have to worry about that, they just have to worry about them buying their games as and when they release it.

On topic though, I'm well excited. I don't have any strong opinions about what they do - we already have FF7 if that's what we want to play. I'm happy to let them explore different options for gameplay.

ramyeon

That sure is some Engrish in that trailer.

So are they going to keep all the weird stuff that won't age well like Cloud being raped as a joke, Barrett being Mr. T, and Cait Sith?
I don't recall the English being that bad in the trailer? It was pretty witty actually, they made it sound all epic as if it was talking about the story of the game when it was all referring to the wait for a Remake to be announced.

valkyre

I can, for the most part.

For the battle system, retain the original Active Time Battle, but:

1) Increase the pacing of the battle. Take inspiration from Bravely Default by allowing us to speed up battle animations and such, let us skip summon animations, etc.

2) Either random encounter AND the encounter slider from Bravely Default, or visible enemies on the field with seamless encounters, like Chrono Trigger/FFXII. The former has the advantage of keeping true to the original level design of map areas, potentially making them feeling more tight and detailed looking as they don't have to accommodate the enemies. The latter means larger area and seamless encounter, but it'd be weird to see map infested with creatures and such, and the maps might be less detailed-oriented.

3) Needs a lot of balancing work. Omnislash/Mime/KOTR/Final attack+Phoenix/Double summon, all needs tweaking for the end game. At the same time, make the game more challenging, perhaps difficulty options.

4) Add more materia/weapons/armors/accesories choices. Give them interesting effects that can provide various customization possibilities and options in battles.

5) Story/character wise, new and improved translation to the same original script, no if's or buts. Voice acting optional. Remastered soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu, again optional. Cutscene skip, same thing.

6) Keep the silly/lighthearted stuff. I have no idea how they're going to make Cloud dress like a lady, but do it. Just do it. I don't even care if I'd cringe hard, but it'd be glorious.

7) World map/airship is the hardest bit. I doubt they'll make fully traversable field map like FFXV, that'd be insane.

Very good points, but I hope you can understand that a lot of these seem really hard to pull through. Like you said... the world map navigation is a huge ? to me.

Silliness and realistic graphics dont mix up very well.

Squats will look ridiculous instead of cute with realistic graphics.

I think it is very very hard to keep the experience intact. Somethings just cant mix up well and it is understandable, but how much of it can you sacrifice and up to what point before alienating the game from what the original was?

There are a lot of scenes that I just cant see them working in this remake. I hope I can eat crow, but I do think that most fans wont be happy with what they will get... we all have fond memories and nostalgia because a lot of us grew old with this game in our memories. And I believe SE will offer a remake that is not in sync with those memories.

I'm glad the remake is happening, but I'm just as happy that Nomura is still in charge of some major projects after the FFXV debacle. I was really worried he got kicked upstairs after all of that went down. Out of Square's current group of directors, I think he's probably the best choice for handling the remake.

The FFVII trailer even reminded me a bit of the old Versus XIII trailers in terms of style. Having a bunch of FFVII trailers directed by Nomura would be great.

Fingers crossed for static camera angles and prerendered backgrounds, while keeping the ATB system but making it FFX-2 paced.

It's going to be full 3D over the shoulder style with KH gameplay. Day 1 regardless.

Mendax

I didn't have a single hour of sleep....
It was an exciting conference. Still, the reactions were great for FF7Remake and Shenmue III

I fell asleep waiting for it. And when I woke up and immediately crawled to my pc I was greeted with "FF7" "Shenmue" and "TLG" in my youtube feed. what a way to wake up :0

I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but part of me honestly wouldn't mind if Nomura brought in the scrapped gameplay mechanics from Versus XIII and wrapped them inside FFVII's narrative just to get back at Square. ;)

ConceptX

Just woke up, missed the Sony conference, arrived at work, "lets check Youtube subs".

"XYZ Reacts to Final Fantasy 7 Remake"

WHAT?! IT'S REAL?!

I'm so damn happy, the king has returned.

I know it's a CG trailer, but honestly I expected a cleaned up remaster, whilst this points to a full XV-ish remake, can't wait for gameplay trailers.

The more I think about it, the more I think that they just need to use the original game as an influence. Ok, so Tifa has been taking to Don Corneo's mansion? Cloud can still travel around the slums with Aeris collecting things to help them gain entrence - he can still go to a dress shop and a gym and stuff, but that doesn't mean he needs to get gang raped in a sauna. Keep it so that the "story" is the same but the individual parts that make it up aren't. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but the exact manner in which the gang get into Don Corneo's mansion isn't important to the overall narrative. It made sense in that visual style, it won't make sense in this visual style, so try and tell broadly the same story in a way that makes sense in this visual style. If they try the cross dressing and it works, great. If not, mix it up.

Glassboy

I cannot believe this actually is happening. After the PSX troll I resigned my dreams of ever playing an remade version of this game. Thank you square enix for coming through. I was so happy that I spent the last 4 hours watching reaction videos on youtube. It happened. It actually happened.

Haunted

But..
do we know what has been remade ?
Lots of CG cutscenes i assume, but we still have no idea how the game itself has been updated. Or did i miss something ?
We'll know more after the dedicated S-E conference.

If they don't say/show anything about FFVIIR there, we know it's extremely early and there's probably not much existing outside of that CG trailer.

Into

So is the souped up PC port still happening, separate from this game? Probably not, right?

Asking since i want to replay again, and i can always just play the PC Steam port with a PS4 controller.

Dark_castle

Very good points, but I hope you can understand that a lot of these seem really hard to pull through. Like you said... the world map navigation is a huge ? to me.

Silliness and realistic graphics dont mix up very well.

Squats will look ridiculous instead of cute with realistic graphics.

I think it is very very hard to keep the experience intact. Somethings just cant mix up well and it is understandable, but how much of it can you sacrifice and up to what point before alienating the game from what the original was?

There are a lot of scenes that I just cant see them working in this remake. I hope I can eat crow, but I do think that most fans wont be happy with what they will get... we all have fond memories and nostalgia because a lot of us grew old with this game in our memories. And I believe SE will offer a remake that is not in sync with those memories.
Well, no doubt some of the changes would be hard. Potentially harder than they would make a brand new title from ground up, but pull the right cards, this can be another multi-million seller for SE.

People do squats in real life. I don't think it'd be that ridiculous, especially if you're doing it at gym or training grounds, or before a mission you're excited about and can't calm your ass down.

Realistically, they are probably going to remove a good deal of silly stuff that just wouldn't bode well with photo-realistic visuals and voice acting, and that would be unfortunate. Hope not though.

kiryogi

Banned
TBH considering FF13 was trying to match the aesthetics of bringing something like Advent Children to life combat wise, that would probably be the way to go in this case. Also noted too that Nomura isn't the turn based type either.

May16

If you're level 50 and you recruit Vincent, he's around 50. If you recruit him at 50, and then start leveling other characters, Vincent will stay at 50.

No he won't. He will gain 50% of EXP gained by the active battle members.
His level won't go up as fast as theirs, but it won't stay grounded.

I'd like that. Most crucially, one character's actions (summons, spells, whatever) should not affect your ability to continue selecting actions for others.

Yeah, if I had the choice I really want that old-school combat system back, pretty much the way it was even if they tweak it for speed like something like FFX-2, I'd like to be able to menu control them all directly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom