• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Modern is fine, but people who think Turn based isn't modern are being ridiculous.

Action isn't the only way to do modern gameplay.
I agree with this. They should further improve on the FFX-2 system.

I really don't see a reason to stick with random encounters though. Those are only a valid gameplay element in games where dungeon exploration is to a large part resource management, and FF7 was never such a game.

So, how many of you started replaying FFVII last night or this morning?

I might start today later.

Someone should make a replay FF7 thread.
highfive.gif

Epix

Ok so lets me get this straight
1. People were begging for a remake
2. SE decides to do it.
3. People now worry about whether its will action based or turn based

Seriously? Why dont you guys just enjoy this moment? ;_;

You see the same thing in the TLG thread.

People begging for it to be shown.
They show it.
"Lol you have to keep calling the bird...lol"

funkypie

Banned
I would love to see a FF in divinity sin engine/combat.

But yeah, ATB needs to go seriously. FF7 is a great game for its characters, world. OTS and story. It was never about the combat.

2. SE decides to do it.

It's not GAF unless people are arguing about the minutia of a videogame.

Im happy as a clam regardless. I'm buying Day 0.

Go_Ly_Dow

The turn based vs action rpg battle debate is gonna cause a massive divide.

Hope they find the perfect middleground.
that leans towards action :p

Pagusas

Elden Member
put me in the turnbased crowd, I loved the way FFVII played, fast and quick. Grind areas like the ice fields could use some tweaking, but overall I do hope they keep random battles and turn based feel. The only reason I want random battles is I want the overworld to be clean and pretty, so I can stare at it in all its glory.

I really want to know how they will handle the World Map.

Agreed. I didn't have Mine/KotR/Hero Drinks. And I forgot to equip the Underwater Materia when I FINALLY beat him. Fuck that fight.
I can beat them already with KotR but I'm not doing mime loops of that shit, fuck that noise

Currently grinding my ass off to get a bunch of Counters so I can just hit them with like 8 Omnislashes per turn

2. SE decides to do it.

I wanted a Remaster, not a remake.

I was hoping that the fact it's a remake is just because the rumors of not having the original assets is true so they have no choice but to remake the thing.

But if they change it to action, then it's not remotely Final Fantasy 7. It's Square cashing in on the name and characters and toying with the desires of people like me.

So why should I "just enjoy this moment"? What is there to enjoy if I'm not getting what I want?

I was hoping that the fact it's a remake is just because the rumors of not having the original assets is true so they have no choice but to remake the thing.

But if they change it to action, then it's not remotely Final Fantasy 7. It's Square cashing in on the name and characters and toying with the desires of people like me.

So why should I "just enjoy this moment"? What is there to enjoy if I'm not getting what I want?

being like that xbox guy and be happy for other people?

you already have ff7...whether this is ATB evolution or arpg...nothing changes what you already have :p

KiraXD

2. SE decides to do it.

as a hardcore FF fan... id actually be fine with action OR turn based... but Random Encounters can piss RIGHT off. I really hope Enemies are visible...

Godcannon

Its a remake guys, not a remastering. Prepare yourself for changes, they even say so in the trailer.

I've already accepted that. The fun part is gonna be seeing what stays and what goes. Honestly, when they showed Midgar my jaw dropped to the floor. I couldn't be more excited to see just how in the heck they can pull this off. It could either be great, or the greatest game in the world once again.

/chills

So, what is the current "best" version of FFVII? I only own the PS1 original.[/QUOTE

Prolly the PC version or PS4 version coming out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The turn based vs action rpg battle debate is gonna cause a massive divide.

Hope they find the perfect middleground.
that leans towards action :p

I wish it was like FFXIII's battle system but the ATB bars are available for all characters in the party (like FFV-FFIX's).

2. SE decides to do it.

Last night was all post-coital fuzziness.

Now it's time for serious questions:

1. Will Mr. T voice Barret?
2. What size cup will Tifa's bra be?
3. Will Cid keep his bloody-baron-esque backstory?
4. Will the sexual tension between cloud and sephiroth in HD be thick enough to cut w/ a knife? or will it take a buster sword/
5. Will wallmarket Cloud just be a lightning returns palette swap?

Alucard

Banned
If it's your thing then probably the PC version with achievements just for added incentive (or ps4 version when it comes out). Otherwise...what you have, I guess.

Achievements aren't my thing at all. Don't care about some virtual reward that doesn't really mean anything. But yeah, I'll likely just replay my PS1 discs.

Watcher

damn people already getting upset over what this game might turn out to be. im a huge ffvii fan and ill take whatever i can get. i know the music will be glorious, so im a happy camper. I just hope they dont add any crisis core stuff or change the characters too much.

KiraXD

they already have that game for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJ1y9YUiLY

Enjoy the remaster, stay away from remake.

XJF

Why are people wondering who the VA's will be? Haven't they all pretty much had the same VA from KH->Dissidia with the exception of replacing Lance Bass as Seph? Why assume they all won't reprise their roles again.

And I love the people who say they're going out and buying a PS4 right NOW, instead of waiting for the inevitable Special Edition console that will launch alongside the game. I still use my Cloud Black Advent Children Complete PS3.

Still trying to hold back some nerd tears here.

I'm hoping for something in between. I don't want Midgar to be completely explorable, but it would be nice if we had more of it available to explorable.

There would be absolutely no reason to fully explore areas that weren't relevant in the original or to the story. You never had free rein to explore EVERY Sector of Midgar, only those you had to via plot progression. I don't doubt they'll add MORE avenues to already explorable areas(think like making the Wall Market a little larger and expansive than the original), but that's it.

Its a remake guys, not a remastering. Prepare yourself for changes, they even say so in the trailer.
Too, people gotta remember, remake does not mean reboot or re-imagining/re-interpretation. At least in the modern sense, it doesn't.

I started playing a new game of FF7 last night. On PC for the first time ever! In 4K those polygons looks soooo good!! The pre-rendered backgrounds not so much.i didnt really wanted a remake till last night though. Those character models are soooo horrible. Desperately needed a makeover. So pumped!!

KiraXD

Why are people wondering who the VA's will be? Haven't they all pretty much had the same VA from KH->Dissidia with the exception of replacing Lance Bass as Seph? Why assume they all won't reprise their roles again.

And I love the people who say they're going out and buying a PS4 right NOW, instead of waiting for the inevitable Special Edition console that will launch alongside the game. I still use my Cloud Black Advent Children Complete PS3.

Still trying to hold back some nerd tears here.

Jelly... That Advent Children PS3 is so awesome!

KiraXD

Steam, will probably go on sale this week or next... maybe even today.

this or even PS1 version but running on emulator... i have both but perfer the look of ePSXE FFVII over Steam. but steam version you can mod the models to look better.... so.... its a toss up.

BadHand

I hope they don't change the mechanics of the battle system too much. Expanding on limit breaks and adding different materias would be fantastic though.

FFVII was always ATB anyway which was a middle ground for turn-based and action.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
woke up and still can't believe what happened... had tons of text messages from people i haven't talked to in ages...

FFVII... reunioning people since 1997

I hope they don't change the mechanics of the battle system too much. Expanding on limit breaks and adding different materias would be fantastic though.

FFVII was always ATB anyway which was a middle ground for turn-based and action.

FFVII has a tight battle system. If anything, tweak it a bit, make it more faster and flashy, but keep the control over all party members and the fixed camera to prevent the spastic camera that usually comes with action-based games. FFVII cemented the whole "cinematic RPG" thing, and that was even carried over into the battle system, how the camera zooms in when characters perform certain moves or summons. That SHOULD remain a key part of this remake.

Ashhong

Even if they kept the same story and characters and setting it's "not remotely Final Fantasy 7"? We don't even know what's changed yet. Calm down

Last night was all post-coital fuzziness.

Now it's time for serious questions:

1. Will Mr. T voice Barret?
2. What size cup will Tifa's bra be?
3. Will Cid keep his bloody-baron-esque backstory?
4. Will the sexual tension between cloud and sephiroth in HD be thick enough to cut w/ a knife? or will it take a buster sword/
5. Will wallmarket Cloud just be a lightning returns palette swap?
Don't forget the most important questions:
6. Will Frogs still be douchebags?
7. How fucking cool will Matra Magic be?
8. Will we finally get to romance Barret as we head into the Northen Crater?
9. On a scale of Baby Mario to Nanako how adorable will Marlene be?

UnPatriot

Banned
There would be absolutely no reason to fully explore areas that weren't relevant in the original or to the story. You never had free rein to explore EVERY Sector of Midgar, only those you had to via plot progression. I don't doubt they'll add MORE avenues to already explorable areas(think like making the Wall Market a little larger and expansive than the original), but that's it.

Too, people gotta remember, remake does not mean reboot or re-imagining/re-interpretation. At least in the modern sense, it doesn't.
Good point.

FFVII has a tight battle system. If anything, tweak it a bit, make it more faster and flashy, but keep the control over all party members and the fixed camera to prevent the spastic camera that usually comes with action-based games. FFVII cemented the whole "cinematic" thing, and that was even carried over into the battle system, how the camera zooms in when characters perform certain moves or summons. That SHOULD remain a key part of this remake.

Agreed here as well. I'm worried that they'll introduce too many action elements though.

The more action-oriented it is, the more the control over multiple characters is eroded (who wants AI party members...)

Zakalwe

Banned

Remaster? Of a game from 1997?

A remake isn't a re-imagining, see Resident Evil.

Don't forget the most important questions:
6. Will Frogs still be douchebags?
7. How fucking cool will Matra Magic be?
8. Will we finally get to romance Barret as we head into the Northen Crater?
9. On a scale of Baby Mario to Nanako how adorable will Marlene be?

Marlene will be a Clementime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom