• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I wonder if they'll even keep the T rating. XV seems to be aiming for a T release but Type-0 went for a mature rating in North America. Considering the amount and level of violence in the game, I just don't see them keeping it T at all.

If it keeps the T-rating some content will have to be cut.

Implied rape can't get by with a T rating anymore, people are too sensitive now.

Given what modern games have gotten away with, FF7 seems quite tame. I doubt we'll see any major censorship, just a re-translation due to new dialog/plot changes/etc.

Definitely agreed that it shouldn't be an ARPG, yeah (I'd call Kingdom Hearts and FFXV and LR:XIII ARPGs, but not FFX-2 or FFXII or FFXIII/XIII-2). But something akin to FFX-2 or FFXII's turn systems would be totally cool with me, and I definitely won't settle for a separate battle screen in 2015 - encounters should take place on the field screen. I'm not saying eliminate the battle theme or the victory theme, of course, but keep them as something that gets played for more special occasions instead of thousands of times over the course of the game.

XII and XIII/XIII-2 are a very different type of turn-based. Aesthetically or not, they're different beasts. X-2 is the closest one to classic ATB, but it's still very different because it requires different balancing and stuff due to the speed and attack cancelling.

Battle transitions add atmosphere and I would hate to see them go. On-screen enemies? Fine, but I want a separate screen with the same swirly screen effect remastered and the same music remastered and all that stuff. Saving that for special occasions is dumb, especially when the battle theme is iconic.

The more I see people's suggestions, the more I just want this to stay functionally the same beyond a new coat of paint, random encounters and all. New areas and summons and mini-games, great. Tweaking the battle system even a tiny bit beyond making it slightly faster, not great.

Not really my kind of game but I thought this reaction video was great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieB51rHpQ4Q

Some E3 viewing event in Florida. But I thought it was one of the best E3 reaction videos ever. The sarcasm, the anger, the glimmer of hope clouded by distrust from past deeds, the realization and finally the celebration. Man what a rollercoaster!

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Given what modern games have gotten away with, FF7 seems quite tame. I doubt we'll see any major censorship, just a re-translation due to new dialog/plot changes/etc.

Extreme gorey volence in America is seen as nothing when compared to rape, "potential homophobia/transphobia", General bigotry(Using retard as a slur), and domestic abuse these days.

Honestly, it would help give the remake a bit more personality.
Yeah, although I'm not sure how much I trust Square Enix to do something like that without it being overdone and feeling like blatant pandering.

What became of the team that localized FFXIV? I really enjoyed that localization. =/

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The "PS4 first" thing pretty clearly means Sony paid for limited-time exclusivity. The only question is how long. Anything shorter than 3-4 months would seem irrelevant, anything longer than a year would be devastating (to fans choosing between platforms).

I'm such a weak willed idiot.

I never really wanted this remake to happen but that trailer man...

I know it will l never be a faithful recreation of what FF7 was in my mind, I know they will change and omit and even ADD things that I won't like, I know there will be something that will make me hate it.

But I can't help but want it, the chance to see familiar locations and familiar scenarios remade and revised in modern technology is too alluring, FF7 is my favorite game of all time so I can't help but be excited even though I probably shouldn't be.

I'm so conflicted.

I have a feeling this is going to be a HEAVILY "re-imagined" version of FF7. There is a lot of stuff in that game that is not going to translate well to HD.

A lot has been mentioned already, but the more "implied" things like Hojo trying to get Red XIII to fuck Aeris/th will come off as iffy at best if they try and convey them, er, "realistically."

I'm expecting a more straight-forward, hallway-ified version of the game that minimizes, cuts, or "reimagines" those parts dramatically.

The "PS4 first" thing pretty clearly means Sony paid for limited-time exclusivity. The only question is how long. Anything shorter than 3-4 months would seem irrelevant, anything longer than a year would be devastating (to fans choosing between platforms).

There's absolutely nothing clear about it unfortunately, Lotus.

I believe Kagari, but it would be nice for S-E to clarify.
Of course, they might not until "winter" or whenever. Maybe some S-E exec will get drunk this week and spill some details on a stream? :p

Ishida

Banned

Kagari implied that this is some sort of deal like Street Fighter V, where Sony is funding the game but allowing it to be released on PC. If this is correct, it would mean PS4 and PC, but no Xbox or anything else.

Concept17

Just enjoy that such a thing is even possible. Just the trailer alone was exciting. We're getting the whole game. I think it'll be fun to go over the differences.

Doh lost my quote

Zoe

God let them include the Japanese audio tracks. If Advent Children is any indication, I'd vastly prefer the original to the English.

I hate Cloud's seiyuu, he's so whiny :(

(Or at least that's how he was directed in this series. Might as well have taken his Bleach character (Kira) and plopped him into FF7.)

Battle transitions add atmosphere and I would hate to see them go. On-screen enemies? Fine, but I want a separate screen with the same swirly screen effect remastered and the same music remastered and all that stuff. Saving that for special occasions is dumb, especially when the battle theme is iconic.

The more I see people's suggestions, the more I just want this to stay functionally the same beyond a new coat of paint, random encounters and all. New areas and summons and mini-games, great. Tweaking the battle system even a tiny bit beyond making it slightly faster, not great.
I guess I'm okay with agreeing to disagree on this matter because I'm much, much more likely to get what I want and expect out of this.

I wonder if first on PS4 means it's coming to Xbone or not. Any insider info?

According to the Sony press conference and the trailers:

Worlds of Final Fantasy: Play it first on PS4 and PS Vita, PlayStation console exclusive

Remake: Play it first on PlayStation 4

IIRC Verendus said the Square Enix crossover game would be console exclusive.

I wouldn't bet on an Xbox version.

Apathy

Any reactions to this news from Japanese gamers? Hoping this will resonate with them at least a bit rather than knowing they are in the grips of mobile games forever

Shadow780

I hate Cloud's seiyuu, he's so whiny :(

(Or at least that's how he was directed in this series. Might as well have taken his Bleach character (Kira) and plopped him into FF7.)

AC Cloud is full-blown emo, I can't wait for him to act like an asshole and speak condescendingly to everyone in FF7R.

RedAssedApe

Banned

sure. but its not clear if this pertains to pc or pc/xbone. se probably keeping their options open in the event that their games bomb on xbone (like Type-0).

Allard

Sony owns publishing rights for FFVII on consoles if I'm not mistaken in the NA and EU, unless they plan to release this on Xbox One only in Japan (hah) or SE has a work around by it not being 'exactly' the same game that was released in 1997, that reasoning alone would keep it from releasing on other consoles. PC release was negotiated separately with Eidos and since SE now owns Eidos they can release that on PC if they wish to.

All we know for sure though is that when it releases, it will only be on PS4 at first with no other format in the equation even if there might be a possibility in the future (PC).

Any reactions to this news from Japanese gamers? Hoping this will resonate with them at least a bit rather than knowing they are in the grips of mobile games forever

yeah that interests me aswell...I remember a poll from Japan before this gen, where Final Fantasy 7 Remake was the most Wanted game

AC Cloud is full-blown emo, I can't wait for him to act like an asshole and speak condescendingly to everyone in FF7R.

If that happens.

Man I'm so worried about this, this is why I didn't want there to be a remake.

I am filled with hype and apprehension.

At least the art direction is spot on.

I kind of dug the sinister vibe the teaser had going for it.

If they somehow keep that, this could be interesting, but I'm not expecting them to.

I kind of dug the sinister vibe the teaser had going for it.

If they somehow keep that, this could be interesting, but I'm not expecting them to.

And this is pretty much what illicited the hype from me.

God imagine remakes version of Nibelheim, the Shinra Mansion, the Gi Cave.

So much could go right, but so much could go so goddamn wrong.

I hate this.

Don't worrry

I'm sure many will buy a used PS4, play this game, then sell the console before returning to their mobile games

Bearpowers

Neo Member
And this is pretty much what illicited the hype from me.

God imagine remakes version of Nibelheim, the Shinra Mansion, the Gi Cave.

So much could go right, but so much could go so goddamn wrong.

I hate this.

I feel we as fans need to make sure SE realizes we don't want a re imagining but a perfect remake.

I don't mind new content so long as none of the old is cut.

I really feel we need to make a petition for Square Enix to realize we want the goofy uncensored FF7 we grew up with, with a new coat of paint and maybe some nice additional content.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope they include the good bits from Crisis Core in here with those flashbacks

Steve Burton will pull this off with finesse!
The man is a soap star, for Christ's sake! He can do it!

so Mandy Moore or Mena Suvari for Aerith (don't recall who did it for the later games)

also dat Tifa...Rachael Lea Cook.

haha

I feel we as fans need to make sure SE realizes we don't want a re imagining but a perfect remake.

I don't mind new content so long as none of the old is cut.

I really feel we need to make a petition for Square Enix to realize we want the goofy uncensored FF7 we grew up with, with a new coat of paint and maybe some nice additional content.

Since they are going with a more realistic direction I can understand certain things not being able to make it in but FF7 has so many special moments for me and all I want from them is to take whats there and make it better.

It could be so damn good...gahh this sucks.

Wazzy

Banned

so Mandy Moore or Mena Suvari for Aerith (don't recall who did it for the later games)

haha
God no. Aeris's voice acting was always really horrible. I like Mena Suvari but her Aeris was atrocious.

In fact, most of VII's voice acting isn't good.

sensui-tomo

Looking forward to Ruby weapon. Especially after this cartoon.
Cloud-Tifa-Barret-Encounter-Deadly-Ultimate-Weapon-Ruby-In-The-Desert-In-Final-Fantasy-7-Video-By-Oney.gif

Meowster

God no. Aeris's voice acting was always really horrible. I like Mena Suvari but her Aeris was atrocious.

In fact, most of VII's voice acting isn't good.
I thought Tifa was good and the actor who plays Cloud has the potential to be really good. I've watched the soap he's been on, he could easily do a good "let's mosey" Cloud.

haha
Mandy Moore captured the more playful side of her, which fits Aerith's character. She's an optimistic and bright young woman who lives in the middle of the slums. The flowers blooming amidst the trash heaps is not only literal, it's what SHE is, the bright and beautiful flower among the dark dispair of the slums.

Mena's Aerith felt "out of it", like Aerith had a cold and she had to heavily medicate herself just to be there... in the Lifestream(and KH2).

Of course, there's also Andrea Bowen, who was pretty good.

muteki

I have a hard time imagining how they will do an action based combat system given the size difference between the party and the Weapons and other bosses. Unless they really start screwing with the scale.

so now the wait for the first official gameplay footage starts...This is going to be some hard years. Wonder when we will get a first glimpse of it.

Wazzy

Banned
I really hope they make Clouds mako eyes stand out. I want that green/blue to actually show.
Looking forward to Ruby weapon. Especially after this cartoon.
Cloud-Tifa-Barret-Encounter-Deadly-Ultimate-Weapon-Ruby-In-The-Desert-In-Final-Fantasy-7-Video-By-Oney.gif
I love this video lol
I thought Tifa was good and the actor who plays Cloud has the potential to be really good. I've watched the soap he's been on, he could easily do a good "let's mosey" Cloud.

I don't know, Rachel was okay later on but in AC I thought she sounded pretty bad. Clouds just has this constant dour sound every time he speaks.

Kadmac25

I hope they stick with the turn-based combat like the original - if anything to prove to Square and other developers that this forumla still works and is not dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom