• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as excited as anyone for this. Imagine if they somehow let you explore Midgar with Morpheus? This project has to be a huge undertaking and I hope that S-E handles it carefully.

I'm not holding my breath that the charm and off key quirkiness of the original game will be maintained, but we'll always have the original game so this is better than nothing.

If only we could get them to update the localization of the original in the mean time.

I have a feeling this is going to be a HEAVILY "re-imagined" version of FF7. There is a lot of stuff in that game that is not going to translate well to HD.

A lot has been mentioned already, but the more "implied" things like Hojo trying to get Red XIII to fuck Aeris/th will come off as iffy at best if they try and convey them, er, "realistically."

I'm expecting a more straight-forward, hallway-ified version of the game that minimizes, cuts, or "reimagines" those parts dramatically.
Why would it be "halfway-ified"? FFXV proves Squenix wars their big games to be a lot less linear.

Vanguard

Looking forward to Ruby weapon. Especially after this cartoon.
Cloud-Tifa-Barret-Encounter-Deadly-Ultimate-Weapon-Ruby-In-The-Desert-In-Final-Fantasy-7-Video-By-Oney.gif

I immediately had to go re-watch this video again.

"Relax baby it ain't loaded, which is probably why we lost."

As for the remake, I'm honestly not sure what I want. Either way, people will be upset with something about it.

I hope they stick with the turn-based combat like the original - if anything to prove to Square and other developers that this forumla still works and is not dead.

I sincerely doubt it but turn based combat has not reached it's full potential yet.

They could come up with some amazing things.

I personally don't care how it plays as long as it's good, I'm more concerned about how much of the original scenario will be intact.

I swear to fucking god if Gackt shows up again....

I'm trying to find interviews but can't find any. I know when they re-showed that trailer at the Square-Enix conference at the end it said "More info this winter" or something similar. Has anyone (Squeenix or Sony) specified what will be discussed? Will it be a gameplay trailer, a release year?

Anyone's guess is as good as any I figure

sensui-tomo

Nearly 24 hours later and watched the trailer 20 times that I only noticed now it was Sephiroth narrating.

That isnt sephiroth, nor his VA(unless they recasted) . The voice actor narrating this is the guy who voices Kenpachi (bleach), Jiraiya(naruto), Grigori(Dragon's Dogma) and some other characters, but its not sephiroth's VA (whom i know has voiced superman in most of the justice league stuff for DCAU when its not the guy who voiced superman in the superman 90s series and he voiced Nooj from ffx-2)

CHC

Man there are just so many unknowns about this remake... I can't stop thinking about it!

The overall style / tone, the voice actors, the look of the main characters, all the crazy places you go, etc etc. I really hope they do it all and they do it right. I'm still shocked it's happening.

Wazzy

Banned
Man there are just so many unknowns about this remake... I can't stop thinking about it!

The overall style / tone, the voice actors, the look of the main characters, all the crazy places you go, etc etc. I really hope they do it all and they do it right. I'm still shocked it's happening.

It's going to be crazy that's for sure. This is just the beginning of what is going to be a wild ride. Every little bit of detail that is released is going to send people off.

Lucreto

That isnt sephiroth, nor his VA(unless they recasted) . The voice actor narrating this is the guy who voices Kenpachi (bleach), Jiraiya(naruto), Grigori(Dragon's Dogma) and some other characters, but its not sephiroth's VA (whom i know has voiced superman in most of the justice league stuff for DCAU when its not the guy who voiced superman in the superman 90s series and he voiced Nooj from ffx-2)

I thought it was the VA from Kingdom Hearts 2.

It might not be the VA but it is meant to be Sephiroth.

Based on what? Serious question in case they said anything about it. It doesn't sound like we know at all what it'll be like.

They didn't say anything about it - it's just an utterly safe assumption that they're going to design a new battle system for it and that it'll more closely resemble the PS2/PS3 era of FF battle systems than the SNES/PSX era.
I can't wait to play the Tifa slap fight in glorious HD.
Slow-motion physics so the entire face can realistically morph from the impact!

I gotta say, if this is indeed console exclusive, Sony is slaying it.

The mix of first party, funded platform exclusive, and third party exclusive content (though shitty in practice), is really impressive.

FF7 has freaking 3 million views over one night.

Game is definitely going to sell gangbusters and move units. Like damn, the PS4/Xbox gap is bound to get bigger next year.

So, this is 2016 too, right? Are we expecting gameplay by the end of the year? I am very curious, and very interested as I only played FF7 a little bit, and I'm glad I waited this long.

I can't believe it's the day after Sony announces The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and Shenmue 3...

Let that sink in...

Anybody think that they were going to be able to pull this off back at the Feb '13 reveal?

It's just hitting me how huge this all is!

Odrion

Banned
I wonder if Sony had to make a deal to get a FF7 Remake actually rolling.

Sony: SQUARE, JUST FUCKING DO THIS. YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MORE PROFIT THAN THE LAST DECADE COMBINED. FUCK IT. HERE, WE'LL EVEN HELP FUND IT.

Square: *sigh* fiiiiine I guess

Two Words

I hope they give Hojo's mansion/research facility and everything around Genova a good horror vibe. I always thought Genova was the most interesting of FFVII and it never gets much light in the original.

I can't believe it's the day after Sony announces The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and Shenmue 3...

Let that sink in...

Anybody think that they were going to be able to pull this off back at the Feb '13 reveal?

It's just hitting me how huge this all is!

Now all we need is Half Life 3 and it will be complete.

Lucreto

I gotta say, if this is indeed console exclusive, Sony is slaying it.

The mix of first party, funded platform exclusive, and third party exclusive content (though shitty in practice), is really impressive.

FF7 has freaking 3 million views over one night.

Game is definitely going to sell gangbusters and move units. Like damn, the PS4/Xbox gap is bound to get bigger next year.

So, this is 2016 too, right? Are we expecting gameplay by the end of the year? I am very curious, and very interested as I only played FF7 a little bit, and I'm glad I waited this long.

If they haven't secured it yet they might now after the huge reaction it has gotten. It would be a feather in their cap.

They better get someone who can do it right. Cloud's voice is 100% young-hot-shot, 0% young-wimp-ass, so I really hope they can find the right person. Screwing this up could really be the Achilles heel of the whole game.
Yes, don't retroactively make FFVII Cloud emo, he was far from it in the original game.

I hope they give Hojo's mansion/research facility and everything around Genova a good horror vibe. I always thought Genova was the most interesting of FFVII and it never gets much light in the original.

Man imagine a remade version of the Shinra HQ post Jenova escape.

Following the blood trail, all the bodies.

Goddamn this could be so good but I know they are going to fuck something up there's just no way.

Wazzy

Banned
They need to find a voice actor who can do a mix of cocky asshole but also emotional and firm.

Cloud isn't a happy go lucky guy nor a downer. He's blunt, confident yet emotionally disturbed.

CHC

Yes, don't retroactively make FFVII Cloud emo, he was far from it in the original game.

Yeah totally. Squall maaaaaybe a bit, but Cloud was a young guy who was for the most part trying to be a legendary soldier / BAMF. So his voice might sound young but he's not a whiner.

The entire audition for the role of Cloud really should just be "let's mosey."

If you can do that, you can do Cloud.

sensui-tomo

I thought it was the VA from Kingdom Hearts 2.

It might not be the VA but it is meant to be Sephiroth.

Sephiroth has only had 2 english voices as far as i know(if that fighter for the psx had a voice than sue me for not knowing) his first voice was lance bass(backstreet boys member) for Kingdom hearts, and FF7AC/ACC/ Crisis core, Dissidia/ duodecium and KH2 had the same voice. Not sure if i'd like this guy for his voice, sounds a little too deep, but he is talented so it wouldnt be in bad hands.

Hahaha, so many of the these random mini-games are getting cut.
People gotta understand, the reason why fans love FFVII is not because just the story, just the setting or just the characters. You can like a story, a setting or cast of characters and that doesn't make a thing, be it a book, movie or game, MEMORABLE or LEGENDARY. It's the package as a whole, the complete execution, that DOES. A great director will know that even the little things matter in the grand scheme of things. Most fans of FFVII won't name just one moment in the game that has stuck with them. Many have multiple scenes and quirks from the game that have resonated with them. That's how you do good in crafting a world. Streamlining the experience by "trimming the fat"(which doesn't need trimming) won't do any good.

Square Enix, don't George Lucas the shit out of this. Do the right thing.

Yeah totally. Squall maaaaaybe a bit, but Cloud was a young guy who was for the most part trying to be a legendary soldier / BAMF. So his voice might sound young but he's not a whiner.

The entire audition for the role of Cloud really should just be "let's mosey."

If you can do that, you can do Cloud.
Cocky and sarcastic Cloud>Emo Cloud.
Hope they nail it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope the humor found in the original game isn't lost in the remake. I really can't handle another emo-filled, drama-ridden Final Fantasy.

I also hope they don't fall into the trap of wanting to turn this into a action game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom