• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People gotta understand, the reason why fans love FFVII is not because just the story, just the setting or just the characters. You can like a story, a setting or cast of characters and that doesn't make a thing, be it a book, movie or game, MEMORABLE or LEGENDARY. It's the package as a whole, the complete execution, that DOES. A great director will know that even the little things matter in the grand scheme of things. Most fans of FFVII won't name just one moment in the game that has stuck with them. Many have multiple scenes and quirks from the game that have resonated with them. That's how you do good in crafting a world. Streamlining the experience by "trimming the fat"(which doesn't need trimming) won't do any good.

Square Enix, don't George Lucas the shit out of this. Do the right thing.

You know they won't, let's not even get our hopes up.

We can't help but get our hopes up, this is how the hurt starts

They didn't say anything about it - it's just an utterly safe assumption that they're going to design a new battle system for it and that it'll more closely resemble the PS2/PS3 era of FF battle systems than the SNES/PSX era.

I honestly don't think it's safe to assume anything. There's very loose stuff you can infer like "Nomura directing=ARPG" or how some scenes will need to be tweaked due to no longer being chibi, but that's it really. Anything else is speculation. As far as giving the fans what they want, there are some very vocal factions on every side, so I really can't imagine who Square will listen to.

Serious question directed at everyone, who would skip the game if gameplay was identical to the original? Similarly, who would skip it if it was tweaked significantly without going full ARPG? What about if it DID go full ARPG?

I don't think I'd skip it regardless of what they did, but I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed if there were significant changes to the combat.

After I watched this I noticed a video, on the side, listing five good reasons why FF7 will never get a remake.

Link

Some of their reasons are awful:

3) Too hardcore. Turn based battle systems are too difficult for the mass market, and modern action battle systems like FFXV are too casual.

That logic fails on so many levels...

4) No shock value. We already know all the plot twists, so the game won't have any impact.

So true. I have no idea why New Line Cinema thought pumping money into The Lord of the Rings films was a good idea. The story was so well known it wasn't going to be enjoyable for anyone. A modern day retelling was a dumb idea, and I'm not surprised the films tanked.

There's a lot of stuff that can offend, and people these days are hyper sensitive for some reason.

Like they might censor Cid's domestic abuse too

Meh, I thought Cid was an abusive asshole back in 1997 and I still do now. But wait, he's awesome because he smokes and has a rocket! Or something.

Did I just imagine this or do he and Shera end up getting married after FFVII? Poor woman deserves better.

I actually do like Cid (and he has the best character theme in the entire series) but I can definitely do without the domestic abuse angle in this remake.

I really hope the humor found in the original game isn't lost in the remake. I really can't handle another emo-filled, drama-ridden Final Fantasy.

I also hope they don't fall into the trap of wanting to turn this into a action game.

voice acting and realistic HD graphics already insured it will lose the particular tone and humor of the original game

Dinda

So did you guys already discuss what Shawn Layden said on the Playstation stream?
http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998 at 1h 37m

He said the game is being remade "almost" from the ground up.

Almost for me sounds like it will still be basically the same game and not a completely new 3d Game, I would think they will have all cutscenes completely new, all Backgrounds completely redone, of course the new Character Models/Enemies/Battle Stages looking like those in the new Cutscenes. But still the same foundation of the game. So you will walk your character through prerendered backgrounds etc.

Go_Ly_Dow

They are very brave for taking this on. As said before every minor detail is gonna be argued about amongst fans for a long time.

Serious question directed at everyone, who would skip the game if gameplay was identical to the original? Similarly, who would skip it if it was tweaked significantly without going full ARPG? What about if it DID go full ARPG?

I don't think I'd skip it regardless of what they did, but I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed if there were significant changes to the combat.

You have to look at is a modern day interpretation of the original, not a replacement. The first version of the game will always be there to enjoy.

I don't care how much they change the combat, dialogue, and plot points. If it's a good game, I'll enjoy it for what it is. It'll never replace the original, so maybe I won't love it as much, maybe I'll love it more. Who knows?

Meh, I thought Cid was an abusive asshole back in 1997 and I still do now. But wait, he's awesome because he smokes and has a rocket! Or something.

Did I just imagine this or do he and Shera end up getting married after FFVII? Poor woman deserves better.

I actually do like Cid (and he has the best character theme in the entire series) but I can definitely do without the domestic abuse angle in this remake.

Why? It's apart of his character.

The problem with a lot of people these days is that they want here characters and stories to portray it's protagonists as paragons of humanity that don't do anything wrong.

Domestic abuse is terrible yes, but so is terrorism, and let' not forget the very first act you commit in the game takes the lives of innocent people and damages major infrastructure.

Go_Ly_Dow

So did you guys already discuss what Shawn Layden said on the Playstation stream?
http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998 at 1:37

Almost for me sounds like it will still be basically the same game and not a completely new 3d Game. I would think they will have all cutscenes completely new, all Backgrounds completely redone, of course the new Character Models/Enemies/Battle Stages looking like those in the new Cutscenes. But still the same foundation of the game. So you will walk you character through prerendered backgrounds etc.

It will be the same as XV. Fully 3D world with large zones for the world map. That's my bet.

I expect XV to be bigger in scope tho.

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998 at 1:37

Almost for me sounds like it will still be basically the same game and not a completely new 3d Game. I would think they will have all cutscenes completely new, all Backgrounds completely redone, of course the new Character Models/Enemies/Battle Stages looking like those in the new Cutscenes. But still the same foundation of the game. So you will walk you character through prerendered backgrounds etc.
That could just mean that the plot is the same. That would qualify for almost in my book.

They need to find a voice actor who can do a mix of cocky asshole but also emotional and firm.

Cloud isn't a happy go lucky guy nor a downer. He's blunt, confident yet emotionally disturbed.

Shit, I just realized that voice acting is required for RPGs this day. Ugh, not sure I'm going to enjoy that.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't think it's safe to assume anything. There's very loose stuff you can infer like "Nomura directing=ARPG" or how some scenes will need to be tweaked due to no longer being chibi, but that's it really. Anything else is speculation. As far as giving the fans what they want, there are some very vocal factions on every side, so I really can't imagine who Square will listen to.

I'd skip it if it went Action RPG or full blown action. I've tried enough Action RPG games and action games by this point to know that they're just not for me. One of the reasons the pre-FFXII games are my favorites has to do with the turn-based combat and the ability to control your entire party. Nostalgia is a bitch I suppose, but I play through Final Fantasy VII yearly because I love it so much and I have no issues continuing to do so if SE tries to sell me another FFXIII/FFXV experience.

Mendax

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998 at 1h 37m

Eh I don't think those two lines add up.

almost from the ground up means that basically nothing will be the same.

Dinda

Eh I don't think those two lines add up.

almost from the ground up means that basically nothing will be the same.

But that's what i'm saying, almost all assets in the game would be new. And new Edition like voices of course. That absolutely qualifies as that in my book. You have to read the rest of what i wrote to understand why it would fit in that way

Bearpowers

Neo Member

I can't do without the domestic abuse.

People aren't all sunshine, bigotry exists and it helps make more realistic and alive characters.

It makes Cid more human for him to be a domestic abuser.

Meowster

The amount of manly tears that will be shed
when Aerith is ruthlessly murdered while her glorious orchestral theme plays in HD.
;_;

Mendax

But that's what i'm saying, almost all assets in the game would be new. And new Edition like voices of course. That absolutely qualifies as that in my book. You have to read the rest of my sentence to understand why it would fit in that way

yeah but you were also saying it will basically be the same game. Clearly it won't ;p

And herein in lies the problem.

the wonder, not the problem

But that's what i'm saying, almost all assets in the game would be new. And new Edition like voices of course. That absolutely qualifies as that in my book. You have to read the rest of my sentence to understand why it would fit in that way

"Remade almost from the ground up."

In other words, the core story and a lot of the dialogue is staying. The music is pretty great but might need re-recording with a full choir. Everything else is being remade from the ground up.

HeelPower

was hoping to hear a smidgen of information about this today.

Not expecting any real footage for a long time but they should at least give an outline of the logistics of the remake soon.

Same. I seriously doubt SE would finally go through with this and then have shit voice acting. lol

Eh I dunno.

Voice direction has been quite terrible in their most recent offerings.

Then again this won't be any game. This is the big one. So who knows how they will conduct themselves,

The domestic abuse thing is kind of what defines their relationship and Cid's character development. Shera's supposed overzealousness cost him his lifelong dream so he had no reason to forgive her, and they weren' t in a relationship, she stayed alongside him because she felt guilty for it. He's obviously an asshole for it but he clearly repents when he learns she was right all along and she saved his life, which is why they eventually get together.

His character just wouldn't be the same without it. It's not a matter of political correctness

Dinda

"Remade almost from the ground up."

In other words, the core story and a lot of the dialogue is staying. The music is pretty great but might need re-recording with a full choir. Everything else is being remade from the ground up.

Well that's not exactly something one would change with a remake isn't it?

Well that's not exactly something one would change with a remake isn't it?

This is SE,we don't really know what they are doing.

My biggest fear is that some of the garbage from the Compilation will make it's way into the Remake and I don't want that shit.

wmlk

This is SE,we don't really know what they are doing.

My biggest fear is that some of the garbage from the Compilation will make it's way into the Remake and I don't want that shit.

If they can add Zack's character without it being ruined by Genesis, then they should do it.

Zack is the most likeable protagonist in FF.

sensui-tomo

It will be the same as XV. Fully 3D world with large zones for the world map. That's my bet.

I expect XV to be bigger in scope tho
With FFXV, they seem ambitious in trying to create a massive, living, breathing world that feels like a world(like walking into the countryside). But still, we don't know much about FFXV's world and how big they plan on making it other than Duscae being 1/10 of the entirety, and the Duscae we explored in the demo isn't ALL of the Duscae region that will be in the final game.

With FFVII remake, we gotta ask the question of how they plan on representing locations we explore. The graphics and design of places like Midgar and Junon bullshit people in thinking they are massively explorable areas. They aren't. You are confined on pretty much paths and large areas connected, both inside and outside. One could look at Junon and say that it must be an awesome experience wandering the many levels, but basically run along a couple streets with a handful of buildings you can open. It's all spectacle.

final_fantasy_7_dynamic_backgrounds_gifs_8.gif

^ The CG movie shows that there are many levels of streets facing the ocean, but you only ever explore one of those streets. In theory, given all the explorable areas as a whole in Junon, it probably wouldn't be hard to render them ALL in scale while giving the illusion that it's still a massive city.

Other areas are smaller, and the question here is if they render it in full scale, will they add on to them? Take Kalm as an example here. Will they fully render it as it was in the game(which there is NO doubt that they CAN do it perfectly), or do they plan on adding to it, like Dirge of Cerberus(which Kalm was represented as a large town, with MANY buildings and streets, yet kept the overall motif of the one seen in original game).

Quaint, small little village of Kalm(FFVII):
Kalm.PNG

Considerably LARGER town of Kalm(DoC):
DirgeofCerberusConceptKalm_1.jpg

DirgeofCerberusMapKalm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom