• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
I've been wondering this since I was in middle school...has anyone ever beat FFVIII "normally"? Like without using Aura or limits breaks with ridiculous junctioned magic?

I remember the strategy guide had all these fancy suggestions like "Use Cerberus so your healer can cast on the entire party." or "Start off the fight with Doomtrain or Meltdown." but I never had to do any of that. It seems like it would be fun to play the game without junctioning or drawing, is that viable?

Yup. I've beaten VIII multiple ways lol.

Job system style, GF-only, Limit Breaks, Junction best magic, no level up, level up normally, break the game, etc.

Job system and breaking the game are my favourite playthroughs tbh.

Red Mage

This VI announcement hurts guys.

It hurts.

Don't let this ever happen to VIII ; ;

Here's what it'll look like.

khsquallbyask9tp.png

^_^

Not really. I'm sorry. ;_;

To also add, in FF V IOS graphic style.

It's like basically announcing "FF VI Redone to look like shit! Please be excited. :)"

Beef, I know you hate VI and that's fine and everything and imma let you finish but-

LOCKE IS ONE OF THE BEST FF CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME.

That's not Sabin and Edgar.

:V

CorvoSol

To also add, in FF V IOS graphic style.

It's like basically announcing "FF VI Redone to look like shit! Please be excited. :)"

Beef, I know you hate VI and that's fine and everything and imma let you finish but-

LOCKE IS ONE OF THE BEST FF CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME.

Bro I know you meant to say Terra and Celes.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bro I know you meant to say Terra and Celes.

One's a pink half hedgehog power fearing sissy and the other feeds people bad fish with anti-magic sword. Lame. They clearly lack discipline. And have poor fashion sense.

He'll sort the lot of you into better characters.

--------------

Seriously though I actually like Celes and I think Terra is a wimp. Without her esper lineage she is nothing.

Wazzy

Banned
Guys, I can't pick every VI character as one of the best.

Sabin's pretty cool though. I did always love Terra's design. I guess they can join Lockes beautiful aura.

Here's what it'll look like.

khsquallbyask9tp.png

^_^

Not really. I'm sorry. ;_;
Nah, that's what everyone will do if VII and VIII are announced for mobile. Turn around and walk away.

I don't want it to happen ; ;

CorvoSol

One's a pink half hedgehog power fearing sissy and the other feeds people bad fish with anti-magic sword. Lame. They clearly lack discipline. And have poor fashion sense.

He'll sort the lot of you into better characters.

--------------

Seriously though I actually like Celes and I think Terra is a wimp. Without her esper lineage she is nothing.

Terra's a giant robot piloting super saiyan who fights in the nude and delivers children with no medical knowledge at ALL. She sits across the table from the man who murdered her mother with his bare hands and pickled her father and forgives him for it. The one time she gets mad, she frightens a man who isn't even afraid of the God of Chaos.

Terra is awesome.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Terra's a giant robot piloting super saiyan who fights in the nude and delivers children with no medical knowledge at ALL. She sits across the table from the man who murdered her mother with his bare hands and pickled her father and forgives him for it. The one time she gets mad, she frightens a man who isn't even afraid of the God of Chaos.

Terra is awesome.

Scary ladies are generally scary.

Especially if they are this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BewareTheNiceOnes

Nothing can top Square-stache however. He's too hilariously rude to be surpassed.

CorvoSol

Terra is just a girl who wants to know what love is.

I WANT YOU TO SHOW MEEEE

I WANT TO FEEL WHAT LOVE ISSSSS

I WANT YOU TO SHOW MEEEE

I can't stop laughing.

Scary ladies are generally scary.

Especially if they are this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BewareTheNiceOnes

Nothing can top Square-stache however. He's too hilariously rude to be surpassed.

Most scary ladies can't have a nuclear meltdown of actual nuclear levels. Also Terra saves everybody's ass at the end of the game, so I think she makes up for having to be bailed out at the start.

Red Mage

Guys, I can't pick every VI character as one of the best.

Sabin's pretty cool though. I did always love Terra's design. I guess they can join Lockes beautiful aura.

Nah, that's what everyone will do if VII and VIII are announced for mobile. Turn around and walk away.

I don't want it to happen ; ;

Nah, that's the graphical upgrade they'll give it. Just wait
Until they replace Rinoa with Lightning as the main love interest.

I mean, Celes was pretty bad with the moping too. But holy fuck, I cannot stand Terra. Cutting her and maybe 5 other characters from FF6 would improve the game dramatically.

rataven

I mean, Celes was pretty bad with the moping too. But holy fuck, I cannot stand Terra. Cutting her and maybe 5 other characters from FF6 would improve the game dramatically.

Fixed that for you. = P

True Facts -- neither one of you are really wrong. VI's cast is waaaaay too big and the ladies spend too much of the game feeling sorry for themselves. And Locke keeps dead bodies in the basement. Come on, that's totally weird. And as for VIII's......well, I try not to think about anyone in VIII. Unless their name rhymes with tuna.

Yeaaahh...Locke is really creepy.

Then again, would a Final Fantasy character be a inal Fantasy character if they didn't have mental problems?

CorvoSol

Yeaaahh...Locke is really creepy.

Then again, would a Final Fantasy character be a inal Fantasy character if they didn't have mental problems?

Isn't half the point of the World of Ruin to show you how emotionally screwed up the party is? Think about it: Celes tries to commit suicide, Locke has a dead girlfriend perfectly preserved, Setzer is drinking himself to death, Shadow is spending his every waking moment killing, Cyan can't get over the death of his family, Terra is desperately trying to keep a rag-tag bunch of children from dying while simultaneously trying not to give up on life herself, Strago has joined a cult worshiping Kefka because he thinks his granddaughter is dead, Gau has deep-seated trauma from his childhood, and Mog is basically sitting alone in the dark in the empty home of his species, which has gone extinct.

Aside from Gogo, Relm, Umaro, Sabin and Edgar (who have their own emotional issues explained earlier in the game), your entire party is an emotional trainwreck. It ain't just Terra feeling blue in the world of Ruin.

rataven

That's a good question. They really are all batshit, aren't they? I guess Zack is a pretty normal bro though. Maybe Bartz too, more or less. Annnnnd that's about it.

Zell is also normal. Bartz going mad was understandable after having his hometown literally erased from existence, so I wouldn't count that as an anger problem.

Wazzy

Banned
Fixed that for you. = P

I Don't want to talk bad about FF8 in front of Wazzy, he's a nice person.

:(

It's okay.

You're all cool and I love y'all and once again imma let you finish but-

FINAL FANTASY VIII IS THE BEST FINAL FANTASY OF ALL TIME.

Y'all need to appreciate. Cuz like...People who hate VIII are all XIII series lovers. No one want's to be a XIII series supporter. At least 90% of them. Where did I get this statistic? It's just common sense, duh.

CorvoSol

Zell is also normal. Bartz going mad was understandable after having his hometown literally erased from existence, so I wouldn't count that as an anger problem.

I'm pretty sure Bartz freaks out at one other point in the game, otherwise I wouldn't count it myself. I just don't remember what point in the game that is.

Lenna's straight up suicidal, though.

Yeah, I don't know about Zell. That face tattoo screams undiagnosed mental illness.
Zell had his face tat before Tyson did. Face tats don't mean mental illness!
I'm pretty sure Bartz freaks out at one other point in the game, otherwise I wouldn't count it myself. I just don't remember what point in the game that is.

Lenna's straight up suicidal, though.
Lenna thought pirates were real. And I don't recall Bartz freaking out any other time in FF5, at least not on that level.

Wazzy

Banned
Zell had his face tat before Tyson did. Face tats don't mean mental illness!

Look at this smug motherfucker.

His scene introduction is him backflipping like a fucking power ranger with the biggest grin. He knows he looks great. He knows there's people who thinks he looks stupid to which he punches them in the face all while maintaining that smile. He'll even call them "Scroooooooooge!" if they're being a big enough dick.

We all know Tyson idolized him. Tyson just couldn't work the tattoo like Zell, though.

CorvoSol

Okay seriously fuck this fight in Xenoblade.
Lorithia is tacky and I hate her.

Any tips, anyone?

So you probably need to
stop playing as Shulk and Dunban for a minute, put either Melia or Fiora in command, then choose your optional 3rd member who can keep you okay. I don't remember if I did that fight as Melia and spammed regen, or Fiora and relied on Sharla's HP spam. This is when you need to start making sure you're a higher level than the boss you're fighting, though.

Wazzy

Banned
So you probably need to
stop playing as Shulk and Dunban for a minute, put either Melia or Fiora in command, then choose your optional 3rd member who can keep you okay. I don't remember if I did that fight as Melia and spammed regen, or Fiora and relied on Sharla's HP spam. This is when you need to start making sure you're a higher level than the boss you're fighting, though.
Okay thanks. I'll switch in Melia as lead then. I suppose my team will be Melia, Sharla and Reyn.

Top Bottom