• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

People who hate VIII are all XIII series lovers. No one want's to be a XIII series supporter. At least 90% of them.
Sure.
Look at this smug motherfucker.

Please.
ffxiii_opening_gif_by_jlegend83-d4b8b7m.gif

Red Mage

It's okay.

Nah, VIII's cast is okay. I was just poking at Beef.

Except Zell, who is like the poster child of why women shouldn't drink alcohol or do hard drugs while pregnant.

Y'all need to appreciate. Cuz like...People who hate VIII are all XIII series lovers. No one want's to be a XIII series supporter. At least 90% of them. Where did I get this statistic? It's just common sense, duh.

Actually, Toriyama was involved with both VIII and X. Which means you're secretly a Toriyama fanboy. D =

Look at this smug motherfucker.

His scene introduction is him backflipping like a fucking power ranger with the biggest grin. He knows he looks great. He knows there's people who thinks he looks stupid to which he punches them in the face all while maintaining that smile. He'll even call them "Scroooooooooge!" if they're being a big enough dick.

We all know Tyson idolized him. Tyson just couldn't work the tattoo like Zell, though.

I'm sorry, but all I can think of now when I see that scene is the Mentos jingle.

Toriyama ain't so bad when he's not in charge. As his influence grew, my interests in the series waned.

I will always stand by my statement that he is a great idea man. Execution, on the other hand, is his biggest weakness. Have him around for the concepts he comes up with, don't let him be the director or main writer.

Wazzy

Banned
Sure.

Please.
ffxiii_opening_gif_by_jlegend83-d4b8b7m.gif
She can't even muster a smug ass smile. She just looks miserable.

The real queen is this badass bitch Rinoa Heartilly. She get's what she want's and she doesn't give a fuck. She's trained her dog to launch off her wrist and cause an explosion destroying anything it hits. She fucks up multiple times but who cares because guess what? she survives it all. Bet some peoples faves can't say the same. You hate her? She don cur because you're probably just a big fat meanie.

I'm sorry, but all I can think of now when I see that scene is the Mentos jingle.
He's just got that much swag.

You should definitely consider
using Fiora, too. She does a lot of damage.

Haven't used them yet but I'll try for this fight.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Paging Rinoa.

I like Quistis because Professor Beef thinks I'm like her, but for the wrongest reasons as he thinks I'm bossy. :mad:

Oh, I also think FF8 has some of the more cohesive and better character designs in the series, but that might just be me.

Red Mage

Paging Rinoa.

I like Quistis because Professor Beef thinks I'm like her, but for the wrongest reasons as he thinks I'm bossy. :mad:

Oh, I also think FF8 has some of the more cohesive and better character designs in the series, but that might just be me.

VIII was a little too cohesive to me. The art was nice, but I didn't feel like I was exploring a whole planet, just a continent. V, VI and VII gave a much more "Larger world" experience, although to be fair, V and VI kind of cheated with how the stories are set up.

CorvoSol

Paging Rinoa.

I liked FF8's designs, though I confess I think I prefer 7's to 8's. What won me over the most though was 8's art. Like the world itself is very beautiful. 6-9 probably have my favorite worlds.

You liked Adel I guess? And Norg?

Xenoblog: Gadolt is an ass.

Adel and NORG were great villains, since Adel was just part of the greater Ultimecia villain.

And Gadolt makes me cri evry tim.

Wazzy

Banned
You liked Adel I guess? And Norg?

Xenoblog: Gadolt is an ass.
I think he's only referring to the main cast.

Also Adel was terrifying.

VIII was a little too cohesive to me. The art was nice, but I didn't feel like I was exploring a whole planet, just a continent. V, VI and VII gave a much more "Larger world" experience, although to be fair, V and VI kind of cheated with how the stories are set up.

I can't really speak on V and VI since I haven't played them in forever but I honestly think VIII felt more like an actual world than most FF's. You had actual activity going on such as the train system. There was so many area's to explore and each felt so different from the other. You have the technologically advanced Esthar, the small quiet town of Winhill, the beachside towns of Dollet and Balamb, the winter school of Trabia, the busy rich city Deling, etc.

This is of course just how I personally felt so don't think I'm trying to say you're definitley wrong or anything. :p

Paging Rinoa.

SO BOSSY

Squall totally chose the wrong girl.

Wazzy

Banned
Nah, Squall made the best decision of his life. Quistis is unprofessional and slightly creepy. I bet you a few years down the road she'll still be hitting on her students.

And yes Adel's a girl. I don't understand why she looks like a man either. I'm guessing she became so screwed up that it morphed her appearance.

Truth be told Quistis shouldn't have been a teacher anyway.

And even if you think Quistis is the wrong choice I refuse to except the thought that Rinoa was the right one. :V

Wazzy

Banned
Truth be told Quistis shouldn't have been a teacher anyway.

And even if you think Quistis is the wrong choice I refuse to except the thought that Rinoa was the right one. :V
Maybe if we were discussing a different character I might agree but we're talking about Squall. In what way would Quistis be a good choice for him? He's an introvert and extremely shy.

Rinoa worked because she was outgoing and continuously worked to get Squall to open up. Quistis's way was to abuse her position of power.

Anyway we all know Quistis should have ended up with Seifer. Those two would have angry sex all day erry day.
Even Zell was a better choice for Squall than Rinoa.

LOLSqZell.png

Makes me wonder we he all of a sudden fell for her.Hmmm

That's not a fair comparison at all. Zell's better than everyone. He gives mad head.

Wazzy

Banned
I think you's tripping. Pretty sure they explicitly refer to Adel as a woman every step of the way, lack of teriarty female sex traits be damned.

I've always thought Adel looked like Irvine.

Anyway, the whole fact Adel is sorceress means she's female since there was never any cases of the powers being passed onto a male. Adel's role would probably have been much different if she were a man since it's so rare for a man to be a sorcerer.

Adel is female. Dosen't the sorceress power corrupt their appearance over time? That's why Ultimecia has claws and when the party fights the sorceresses, the last one is this creature.

Wazzy

Banned
Adel is female. Dosen't the sorceress power corrupt their appearance over time? That's why Ultimecia has claws and when the party fights the sorceresses, the last one is this creature.

It does but I also think it depends partially on their choice and how corrupt they themselves become. Edea at Deling is an example of being able to change her appereance.

Rinoa was far and away the least interesting female character in VIII. Though I suppose that was the whole point that brought out of his shell was some powerless normal girl that used like a tracking dart gun or whatever to kill things. She didn't even get to be in my final party because I realized Selphie was way more awesome.

Irvine's gotta be the shittiest character though, nobody even talks about him because he's so irrelevant.

Come on man, she had those wacky magic abilities. Are you saying devouring a dragon isn't the hypest shit?

Oh we're talking about her personality?

Well see why would anyone go and do that.

Wazzy

Banned
:lol
Rinoa was far and away the least interesting female character in VIII. Though I suppose that was the whole point that brought out of his shell was some powerless normal girl that used like a tracking dart gun or whatever to kill things. She didn't even get to be in my final party because I realized Selphie was way more awesome.

Irvine's gotta be the shittiest character though, nobody even talks about him because he's so irrelevant.

Wait, what?

Rinoa is by far the more interesting character whether or not you like her since she gets like the other 40% of character development.

Heck, Quistis doesn't even get much development once disc 1 ends. Now, Selphie is pretty well developed but she's still not as interesting as Rinoa.
She also uses a boomeranged weapon styled like a pinwheel with blades so that it comes back to her.

Come on man, she had those wacky magic abilities. Are you saying devouring a dragon isn't the hypest shit?

Oh we're talking about her personality?

Well see why would anyone go and do that.
Is she gonna use those powers to devour Squall's dick?

I mean Rinoa launches her dog at shit. Her dog can make you temporarily invincible. Her dad has money. Rinoa all the way.

:lol

Wait, what?

Rinoa is by far the more interesting character whether or not you like her since she gets like the other 40% of character development.

Heck, Quistis doesn't even get much development once disc 1 ends. Now, Selphie is pretty well developed but she's still not as interesting as Rinoa.
She also uses a boomeranged weapon styled like a pinwheel with blades so that it comes back to her.

Is she gonna use those powers to devour Squall's dick?

I mean Rinoa launches her dog at shit. Her dog can make you temporarily invincible. Her dad has money. Rinoa all the way.

I definitely did not word that properly lol. I mean as a comparison to say, the other characters in VIII she's the only one that wasn't raised to be a soldier or given any special powers (at least until she becomes a sorceress). Yet she ended up being the one who got with squall in the end.

When I was reflecting over finishing VIII last summer (sadly I was unable to post my thoughts on GAF at the time) I think the biggest thing that stuck out to me was how relatively normal she was compared to pretty much every other gf love interest. I mean in the prior game you had a choice between either the last of a race that managed to save the world from the beyond the grave or a not really sorta childhood friend who could duplex demigods. Then there's Rinoa, just some random girl that happens to take an interest in the angstiest teenager of all time. I'm typing this on my phone so I don't feel the most articulate right now, but while I have some other issues with the story (that I am sure you could easily resolve) I thought it was cool how arguably the most damaged of any ff protagonist gets fixed by easily the weakest and "least special" of any main ff love interest.

Wazzy

Banned
I definitely did not word that properly lol. I mean as a comparison to say, the other characters in VIII she's the only one that wasn't raised to be a soldier or given any special powers (at least until she becomes a sorceress). Yet she ended up being the one who got with squall in the end.

When I was reflecting over finishing VIII last summer (sadly I was unable to post my thoughts on GAF at the time) I think the biggest thing that stuck out to me was how relatively normal she was compared to pretty much every other gf love interest. I mean in the prior game you had a choice between either the last of a race that managed to save the world from the beyond the grave or a not really sorta childhood friend who could duplex demigods. Then there's Rinoa, just some random girl that happens to take an interest in the angstiest teenager of all time. I'm typing this on my phone so I don't feel the most articulate right now, but while I have some other issues with the story (that I am sure you could easily resolve) I thought it was cool how arguably the most damaged of any ff protagonist gets fixed by easily the weakest and "least special" of any main ff love interest.
I appreciate posts like this because you're at least taking the time to explain your issues with a character.

Now the funny thing for me is, I think Rinoa being normal is what makes her interesting and is a huge part of her character development. She's thrown into a group of trained and powerful soldiers with little experience. That's why she makes constant mistakes and is very naive. She even comments on it at Trabia when she announces her fear of falling behind and losing everyone because she can't keep up.

The game makes Squall save her over and over because of her flaws(though I admit they went a little too far to show this, once or twice would have sufficed) but it's also to build up to when she overcomes this and actually saves Squalls life.

Her backstory with her parents was also interesting. Her mom died in an accident when she was five and from this and due to his military life, her dad became controlling pushing her to be rebellious and leave her home to join a rebel group who clearly were not prepared for what they were interfering in. We know her mom was the famous singer Julia and that she was in love with someone else but never saw him again so she married and settled down with Caraway.

I liked that they decided to approach the female lead from a different angle. It obviously didn't work for everybody but I sure enjoyed it. It was nice to see her work her way in rather than already be on their level.

If you've got any story complaints I'm all ears.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That final fantasy feel when you're first introduced to Sabin and can't Blitz to work which leads to losing ~10 minutes of progress from a game over.

Top Bottom