• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

“In terms of the novellas that expand from the basic mythos, there was the Episode i novella that was translated for XIII-2,” explained Kitase. “Of course, if the demand is high, we would consider it, but for the most part we want to concentrate on the main games. The novels that expand on the original story aren’t imperative to read in order to enjoy the main content of the mythos that is present in the games.”

Horse hockey.

Lily

I bought FFV for Android. Its not as bad as i thought it would be. The character portraits and models being totally different are my main gripe, but on the whole, its fine.

Looking back at those posts, I feel I really have to clarify: I was over exaggerating on purpose. I'm a bit frustrated with the novella thing, but no where near that angry.

So I'm playing Chrono Cross for the first time and I like how the game seems to punish you for making the "good" decisions by giving you the shittiest characters. This shit is wacky.

Wazzy

Banned
This thread has been pretty slow. I've been so busy with work, life and playing Pokemon a lot lol.

I'm super sorry I skipped a lot of stuff but I didn't want to drive the thread to a level of insanity rivaling mako poisoning. I can PM you though if you want.

This is actually a funny thing though, because we agree. Tifa IS afraid to confront Cloud and she CAN be clingy, but those traits stem from her unwavering loyalty to her friends. This girl just loves her friends so much she doesn't want to hurt them and almost blindly goes along with whatever they need or want her to do. We even see this is Dissidia when she displays this weird unquestionable trust in Kain. She's not necessarily insecure, but rather protective. As Meccancial mentioned, she's lost everything. She's keeping what she does have dear.

Like I said earlier, this is Tifa's strength and weakness -- thinking with her heart over her head. It doesn't always work and her friends sometimes DO get hurt, but I guess this is where we differ because I can't hate her for it -- her intentions are good, though poorly thought out. It's a very real trait.

That's okay. I've been swamped with work and other stuff so I probably wouldn't have the time to keep discussing this anyway, heh.

All I'll say is fair enough. We view Tifa's flaws differently and I don't think either is willing to change their stance on them, not that there's anything wrong with that.

It will probably end up similar with Squall. I guess we just don't see eye to eye but once again, that's not a bad thing.

I'll make a longer post when I have time, but I really want to get this off my chest.

I can't exactly say I've been enjoying VII. Don't get me wrong: the story is nice enough, some of the dialogue exchanges are quite good (the one while running up the backdoor stairs in Shinra HQ had me laughing), and I like the music so far. It's the gameplay that's getting to me. It just seems so damn slow, non-strategic, and repetitive that each battle seems more and more like a drag as I go on. I know, I know: It's 15+ years old. Maybe once I get a bit more into it, maybe it'll just catch me.

CorvoSol

I'll make a longer post when I have time, but I really want to get this off my chest.

I can't exactly say I've been enjoying VII. Don't get me wrong: the story is nice enough, some of the dialogue exchanges are quite good (the one while running up the backdoor stairs in Shinra HQ had me laughing), and I like the music so far. It's the gameplay that's getting to me. It just seems so damn slow, non-strategic, and repetitive that each battle seems more and more like a drag as I go on. I know, I know: It's 15+ years old. Maybe once I get a bit more into it, maybe it'll just catch me.

That's actually every Final Fantasy. The ATB system was great when it was young, but it has not held up over time. Also IX is way, way way worse than VII in this regard.

Your complaint about it being slow seem kind of strange to me. One of the things I liked the most about VII is that I felt that the battles went by really fast. But yea the strategy aspect I can agree with, the game never really puts you in too much danger in random encounters, which is both a relief and can make things boring.

That's actually every Final Fantasy. The ATB system was great when it was young, but it has not held up over time. Also IX is way, way way worse than VII in this regard.

Never played IX (VIII is the next on my list), but that kinda puts a damper on my looking forward to it.

Your complaint about it being slow seem kind of strange to me. One of the things I liked the most about VII is that I felt that the battles went by really fast. But yea the strategy aspect I can agree with, the game never really puts you in too much danger in random encounters, which is both a relief and can make things boring.

I don't know, maybe it's the crappy Keyboard controls I'm stuck with. Makes it hell navigating the landscape as well.

Banzai

It just seems so damn slow, non-strategic, and repetitive that each battle seems more and more like a drag as I go on. I know, I know: It's 15+ years old. Maybe once I get a bit more into it, maybe it'll just catch me.

Well I don't agree, but I would say it gets a lot better once you have some more materia to play around with. Especially support and command materia.

All I can say is that putting Toriyama on a quality council was perhaps the most tongue-in-cheek move of the century.

I laughed so hard when I saw his name.

Square Enix is pure comedy man.

1341295897667.jpg

All I can say is that putting Toriyama on a quality council was perhaps the most tongue-in-cheek move of the century.

Hey, the way I see it, either Toriyama actually helps the others with his ideas and also benefits from being reigned in and having his peers critique him in a broader forum or we end up with hilarious trainwrecks and Square has only themselves to blame. All I know is that Toriyama (directing) + Wantanabe (script writing) = Final Fantasy XIII-2 quality of writing. Maybe they could address that issue.

Red Mage

I still say it's a case of being kicked upstairs:

Sometimes someone working for an organization cannot be eliminated, but isn't actually wanted in his role. Perhaps he's far too eager but incompetent, or is good but has some crazy ideas, or just annoys everyone. Rather than being eliminated normally, he can get "promoted" beyond the point where he gets to do anything damaging or given a role that serves no useful functions. Or he can be given a "vitally important task" that really isn't worth the effort (and may even be a Snipe Hunt). Alternatively, the role assigned might be significant, but the main advantage of putting the character there is that it would be a long way from anyone else you care about.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't think the committee is about ensuring quality. More like maintaining current quality. Take that however you will.

If the committee implements a check and balances system between all their members then perhaps this might be a good thing, however I've all but given up on Square. Only reason I still support them is mainly for Bravely Default.

CorvoSol

I don't think the committee is about ensuring quality. More like maintaining current quality. Take that however you will.

If the committee implements a check and balances system between all their members then perhaps this might be a good thing, however I've all but given up on Square. Only reason I still support them is mainly for Bravely Default.

MAGIUS IS BACK YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to look back so far. There was a mainline FF released on a console 2 months ago which is awesome.

I've heard good things about XIV but the online ones will never really be mainline to me. They're great, I respect that they sell well, but they're just not the same, y'know? So when I say what I say, I mean no digs against them.

But goddamn I am not going to ever pay a subscription fee.

aceface

MAGIUS IS BACK YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard good things about XIV but the online ones will never really be mainline to me. They're great, I respect that they sell well, but they're just not the same, y'know? So when I say what I say, I mean no digs against them.

But goddamn I am not going to ever pay a subscription fee.

I was the same, I only play console games and I'm a huge FF fan...never really played FFXI on the PS2 and never played any other MMO's either. So with FFXIV being on a console I tried it out and it really won me over. The story is mainly soloable and they ease you into the social/party stuff as it goes along. The game is fun to play, good story, and it's packed with FF fan service. Really hit the sweet spot for me as a longtime FF fan, I'd recommend others give it a try. There's also a very friendly GAF free company which helps a lot cause there's always good people to party with.

Yeah the monthly fee sucks but now I'm addicted so Ill be paying it, haha.

CorvoSol

I was the same, I only play console games and I'm a huge FF fan...never really played FFXI on the PS2 and never played any other MMO's either. So with FFXIV being on a console I tried it out and it really won me over. The story is mainly soloable and they ease you into the social/party stuff as it goes along. The game is fun to play, good story, and it's packed with FF fan service. Really hit the sweet spot for me as a longtime FF fan, I'd recommend others give it a try. There's also a very friendly GAF free company which helps a lot cause there's always good people to party with.

Yeah the monthly fee sucks but now I'm addicted so Ill be paying it, haha.

Like I said, I don't doubt ARR. But that monthly fee is an insurmountable wall to me.

aceface

Well I'd even say if the ps3 price goes down a bit get it and you can easily beat the story during the 30 day free trial. If you are a big FF fan it's worth experiencing.

Noi

Yeah, you can easilly beat the main story in ARR in 30 days if that's all you're interested in. I've only stopped cause I'm waiting for a friend to transfer over.

CorvoSol

Guys I totally hate how the men in FF look girly now and am also going to ignore that they have always been bishies and that Cecil canonically looks enough like a woman that when he was a baby the king instantly recognized him as looking like his momma.

Why can't FF characters look manly like I always thought they did even though they never did?

Tizoc

Speaking of which, I finally ordered a JP 3DS and preordered BD: FtS. Hope it's as good as everyone else said, and it'll probably be even better with the fixes.

Welcome back.

Any reason you wouldn't just wait for the english ver. to release come 2014? It'll have the FtS update.

Shadow780

Guys I totally hate how the men in FF look girly now and am also going to ignore that they have always been bishies and that Cecil canonically looks enough like a woman that when he was a baby the king instantly recognized him as looking like his momma.

Why can't FF characters look manly like I always thought they did even though they never did?

FF has been fueling internet forums for the past 20 years, an unsung hero.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Any reason you wouldn't just wait for the english ver. to release come 2014? It'll have the FtS update.
Because I'd rather play it when I'm on my holidays as opposed to a time when I'd get a little busier.

Plus it's better if I got a Japanese 3DS anyway. Games I'd probably want in any case may not get localized.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It must be so nice to be able to decide if you're gonna play a game in English or Japanese.

I HATE YOU.
If it means anything, I prefer playing games in English since it'll be cheaper and I process English faster.

But hey, For the Sequel has a language toggle. >.>

Top Bottom