• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think this is the place to ask.

Well i haven't played a FF since FF-X, and i'm kind of in the mood to play another one.
Lately i've been looking around, and i kinda want to try FFXIII, at least for the time being until FFX HD is released...

Do you guys think i should go for it? I don't have an extense backstory with FF, but i'm kind of an RPG-gamer... KH, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, etc...
If you want to try it out, there should be nothing about the popular opinion on GAF deterring you. Play it yourself, form your own opinion, and go from there. If you think you want to play Final Fantasy XIII, then play it.

I'm surprised you didn't play FFX-2, though. I know not many people agree, but I think it's one of the best games in the series. Everything gameplay-wise is really good, and its refinement of the job system feels nicely tooled. Sure, the story may not be to your liking at all, but it actually does make sense that the worldview of Spira is different and Yuna could finally be her own person as opposed to being a sacrificial pawn raised to not know anything else.

The Gilgamesh DLC is literally the only fight in XIII-2 that forces you to use the monster infusion system. So many pointless subsystems in that game.
Yep. Thanks for enlightening me on the DLC. I wasn't using monsters before, but it was nice rearing something for a specific boss battle as the monster rearing system was designed for.

I think this is the place to ask.

Well i haven't played a FF since FF-X, and i'm kind of in the mood to play another one.
Lately i've been looking around, and i kinda want to try FFXIII, at least for the time being until FFX HD is released...

Do you guys think i should go for it? I don't have an extense backstory with FF, but i'm kind of an RPG-gamer... KH, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, etc...

(Don't want to generate conflict, it's an honest question and i'm more than aware of the usual hate the game gets here, however i'm here asking to the guys who love FF so your opinion is a lot more worthy to me than the rest)

Give it a shot. However, be aware that it will not play like a traditional RPG. The design is single focused on giving you the story of the characters and has little time for anything else until Chapter 11. There are no rest stops, traditional towns, NPC interaction, or anything else. Everything has been streamlined for the sake of telling the story. This may or may not be a good thing for you, depending on how you like the story. Just go in with an open mind and try not to go in with any preconceived notions of what the game should be or will be, cuz chances are it'll be different.

Wazzy

Banned
The visual identity thread made me think about this since there's a smaller discussion taking place that semi-involves this question.

Which Final Fantasy characters look asian to you? Do they all? Do none?

A couple of examples are Tidus, Yuna and Rinoa. I find that in their artwork, Tidus and Yuna both look white however in CG they're both definitely asian. Rinoa I find mainly looks like a mix of white and asian with either being more prominent depending on the cutscene.
It's not worth it. It's the worst Tactics game.
Yeah but I can then say to people "I beat that piece of shit. Don't play it."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I was also thinking about Cyan, too. Edge, Gekkou, Izayoi, Zangetsu, and Tsukinowa, I guess. Yuffie, Tseng... Rinoa. Tidus and Yuna. Queen.

Wazzy

Banned
I really don't think Rinoa looks asian. Not only is the actress that resembles her white but she was drawn to look European.

I won't deny in some of the FMV's she looks asian but her appearance changes multiple times in them so I find it more prominently white.

As for other asian looking characters, Wakka and Auron are two i think do.

I really don't think Rinoa looks asian. Not only is the actress that resembles her white but she was drawn to look European.

I won't deny in some of the FMV's she looks asian but her appearance changes multiple times in them so I find it more prominently white.

I always though Wakka looked Hawaiian. Though I guess what they were really going for was Okinawan.

CorvoSol

That's what FF Agito will be about.

Or how I stopped worrying about World War 2 and went to woo my waifu.

Let's be honest, if they'd spent more time worrying about waifu wooing and less time fighting Fantasy WW2, they'd have all come out much happier. Just ask Cecil! He spent more time worrying about chasing his waifus and less time worrying about Fantasy War of the Worlds, and they made him King of the world.

I think we ought all to accept that before FF12 characters looked more asian in FMV mode than in other scenes.

aravuus

Squall : I knew he was gay =_= he looked just to femimine.
Cloud : Shut up >///< I'm not gay and I don't look like a girl, mister silky-hair
Squall : At least my hair doesn't look like a bird's ass...
Cloud : grrr! -pounce-
me : o-O and this is where I jump in and go recording that.. -ducks for flying leather trousers- the heck?!&#65279;

what in the fuck is up with some people

I don't know, the first one's really not that bad. And the second is stupid, but I had a couple of friends in the Dissidia community who had fun with the ripped models, so this stuff kind of makes me think of them. There's a LOT of really questionable crap out there though. Oh god, your eyes will never forgive you.

Really, I just posted for fun. I actually think the first one is rather cool.

I finally made it to Gran Pulse holy shit. I can run around and do quests and get stepped on by huge mammoth looking things this is so amazing!

Z1FzHzl.jpg

All I wanted was to run around on these fields and try and fight those big things. Now I finally did, after two years.

Should I just pop in XIII-2 now?

CorvoSol

I finally made it to Gran Pulse holy shit. I can run around and do quests and get stepped on by huge mammoth looking things this is so amazing!

All I wanted was to run around on these fields and try and fight those big things. Now I finally did, after two years.

Should I just pop in XIII-2 now?

Just never leave. Gran Pulse is all you get.

Haha, I'm not even playing that because of Ace Attorney. I have SO many 3DS games to play right now.

Noi

I'm personally passing on AA5 cause of no physical version. Don't trust the eshop enough to plop down $30 on their store, ya dig? Shame that Sven had to go and leave before he could convince the Capcom suits, but oh well.

I already own 85 games (and one MMO) that I've yet to beat, I'm sure I can find something else to play while AA5 drops to a price that I feel comfortable paying for.

Wazzy

Banned
I still need to pick up AA5. I went out with a friend and planned to pick up a points card but I forgot.

I wanna play it so badly.

CorvoSol

I'm personally passing on AA5 cause of no physical version. Don't trust the eshop enough to plop down $30 on their store, ya dig? Shame that Sven had to go and leave before he could convince the Capcom suits, but oh well.

I already own 85 games (and one MMO) that I've yet to beat, I'm sure I can find something else to play while AA5 drops to a price that I feel comfortable paying for.

I can see that, but Ace Attorney justifies the sacrifice for me.

I still need to pick up AA5. I went out with a friend and planned to pick up a points card but I forgot.

I wanna play it so badly.

You can use a credit card, too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So we're all too busy playing AA5 to talk FF, right?

FF is actually missing a scenario where a character goes to court and is charged with something. Last Story did it. Chrono Trigger did it. Xenoblade doesn't have a Justice system. So on and so forth.

CorvoSol

FF is actually missing a scenario where a character goes to court and is charged with something. Last Story did it. Chrono Trigger did it. Xenoblade doesn't have a Justice system. So on and so forth.

Come to think of it, Chrono's Trial really is the sort of thing Pheonix would wind up working on. Innocent client, evil prosecutor, etc.

Still kinda want to know how he gets Galactus declared Not Guilty at the end of UMvC3

Apoptomon

Didn't Yuna and company go on trial in FFX (during the Bevelle sequence)? It wasn't really a proper 'court of law' I guess, but was still a trial.

CorvoSol

Don't have a CC at the moment. Will soon though.

Anyway I purchased a points card and I've got the game. Working on the first case right now.

Yo Ema Skye was my Prime Waifu (aside from Mia, who is the Eternal Waifu), but I gotta say, Athena is New Waifu or Waifu of the Gamu, even.

Wazzy

Banned
Zell is totally based off Sabin. They've got the same goofy hairstyle and are monks.

That's probs why I love Sabin <3

Cor: Ema is awesome. Athena is pretty cool so far. I need to play more but I'm so busy today since I've got a Halloween party. All I want to do is beat the game. :(

CorvoSol

Zell is totally based off Sabin. They've got the same goofy hairstyle and are monks.

That's probs why I love Sabin <3

Cor: Ema is awesome. Athena is pretty cool so far. I need to play more but I'm so busy today since I've got a Halloween party. All I want to do is beat the game. :(

Sabin x Terra is the OTP.

Also I really love Ema. Rise from the Ashes is my favorite case in the series, and she was probably one of the best characters in Apollo. But I know that feel of not wanting to anything but mainline the game.

If that is Terra next to Squall guy, then it looks like he was a love interest for her.

And Leo is absent. And where the hell is Kefka?

Technically the guy next to Terra IS Terra. Terra's character was male very early on in development, iirc. They made the decision to make her female and went from there. So the guy next to her would have been the male Terra. Notice how the Esper down in the corner is more masculine than Terra in Esper form? Because this would be from that era.

Sorta wonder what this period was like, I mean, this male character I had assumed was the original basis for Terra, Locke, and Celes, but all three are also in this picture, so how many traits did each receive from him? Obviously Terra got the most, but hmm.

Technically the guy next to Terra IS Terra. Terra's character was male very early on in development, iirc. They made the decision to make her female and went from there. So the guy next to her would have been the male Terra. Notice how the Esper down in the corner is more masculine than Terra in Esper form? Because this would be from that era.

Yup, I was about to post that, as it's the most likely.

There is also an older woman next to Strago and Relm. She is most likely Lara, Strago's 65-year-old wife who was cut from the game. They were supposed to behave like an old couple who has amusing arguments, with each other claiming the other would die first. Her weapons were stuffed toys, a scrapped idea which was not reused until Lulu in FFX.

CorvoSol

Yup, I was about to post that, as it's the most likely.

There is also an older woman next to Strago and Relm. She is most likely Lara, Strago's 65-year-old wife who was cut from the game. They were supposed to behave like an old couple who has amusing arguments, with each other claiming the other would die first. Her weapons were stuffed toys, a scrapped idea which was not reused until Lulu in FFX.

It's really amazing to think that at one point FF6 could've had 16 playable characters. The menu certainly makes it look that way, with two spaces empty, leaving you short of a fourth final party.

Top Bottom