• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Is there anyway to play the first FFXV demo without buying Type-0? Can you still even get the demo that way?

Nah you need to buy Type-0. I think there are still plenty of Day One Editions out in the wild. Type-0 is actually a pretty good game. Nothing great but wortht the playthrough. You could find it for pretty cheap I would imagine now.

Out of curiousity, is Final Fantasy 15 a part of Fabula Nova Crystalis? I know it originally was when it was first Versus 13, but have they mentioned anything since its rebranding?

I honestly just want to hear people complain again about l'cie and fal'cie

Out of curiousity, is Final Fantasy 15 a part of Fabula Nova Crystalis? I know it originally was when it was first Versus 13, but have they mentioned anything since its rebranding?

I honestly just want to hear people complain again about l'cie and fal'cie

No they totally distanced from it. It was confirmed that there will be no connection to FNC.

It was going to be pretty loose with Versus XIII anyway

I didn't get to watch XV event because timezones - but I love what I've seen since and really enjoyed the trailer.

I don't really understand why people are so ready to drag on XV. I've seen so much bitching about the event, the demo - everything. I don't know what people are expecting really?

Seems like positivity and excitement is a dying art.

A poster said last year after Inside Out came out that Anger and Disgust are probably the leads in most people's control panels on this forum and I think I have to agree. We need more Joys.

So, regarding VII Remake:

Is it going to be Aeris or Aerith? The age old question.

Aerith for sure since that is what Square has been going with for years, though I'd wager there would be some way to rename characters. I'd imagine there would be more outrage over the likelihood of Tifa's "breast reduction" or some nonsense like that.

Hey guys :)

Is there a list anywhere of every Versus XIII / XV trailer?
I want to watch them all from the original unveiling to chart the journey to here now that I finally have the actual game pre-ordered, but I can't seem to find just how many there have been...

neoemonk

To the poster above, please share if you find one, because I wouldn't mind watching them.

I know that XIII gets a lot of criticism, and some of it well deserved, but I'm playing through it my second time right now and it has really grown on me. I always enjoyed the battle system, and now I'm working on the platinum trophy. Doing the cie'th stone missions and revisiting some of the settings and music has really made me appreciate a lot of the buried content that most people will never see. Right now I'm in Oerba at The Ashensand and it's gorgeous.

My first time through the game was back on launch and I lost my old save so I've been playing fresh and I'm glad I did.

Chris R

How fast can we expect mods to be released when FFIX comes out later this week? Also kinda hoping a redone background pack is available for the game sometime if possible...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How fast can we expect mods to be released when FFIX comes out later this week? Also kinda hoping a redone background pack is available for the game sometime if possible...

Depends on the mod.

A mod that changes the font or menu style: probably a matter of months if not weeks.

A mod that changes the game's balance (and one thats actually good): probably a year+.

A mod that redoes backgrounds: never? VIII has a mod that makes the backgrounds higher resolution to match the character models more closely but even then its not a huge jump. Truly high quality backgrounds would entail asset creation. The backgrounds themselves would have to be remade. Of course, lets wait to see if the pc version looks good or bad in the first place. It might be a huge step up from emulating the ps1 version.

Phatcorns

Yo. Playing FF1 for the first time and my god is there any way to limit/eliminate encounters? The rate is ridiculously high. Making this game an absolute chore holy cow! Not to mention I'm playing with 4 warriors, and literally the only thing I have done for the past hour is hold X to attack.

Damn, you're making me scared to play FF1. I sort of suspected it because of its age. Maybe the one of the ports has lower random encounters.
I hope FFIX comes to Steam tomorrow.

As far as the random encounter rate goes for FF1, the original on the NES seems to have one of the better rates, but battles go really slow so it really doesn't matter. Dawn of Souls and onward at least have really fast battles to compensate, though I'd say I'm not a fan of those iterations of the game.

edit: wait 4 warriors? Well, at least you didn't pick 4 Thieves or Monks. But, uh...

Sub_Level

Damn, you're making me scared to play FF1. I sort of suspected it because of its age. Maybe the one of the ports has lower random encounters.
I hope FFIX comes to Steam tomorrow.

I played the PS1 version (Origins) a couple years back and still had a good time. PS1 seems to preserve the difficulty with some added conveniences whereas Dawn of Souls and the PSP version are easier. I personally would not play the NES version just based off the graphics alone.

It kind of is a slog but its a slog where you have to survive by treading through dungeons carefully and managing your precious spells. The only time I grinded was for money to get equipment and money. Did not grind for the explicit purpose of leveling up.

Sub_Level

So i had a discussion with a friend

he says the ATB of FF7 was a realtime combat system- is he right?

Not at all, no. It is turnbased. The ATB mode is even set to "Wait" by default. Meaning you can go in your items and magic and the bars will stop filling for both you and the enemy, in addition to during certain attacks. There are entire magic abilities, Haste and Slow, that are dedicated to manipulating the rate at which you or your enemies fill their bars so a turn can be taken.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm more curious how much FFVII sold on PSN (both PSOne classic and PS4 ver)

Falk

that puzzling face
That is extremely impressive for one of the laziest PC ports out there.

Did you mean one of the laziest Steam versions? Because the original PC port took a dedicated team at Eidos, and this is pretty much that.

edit: Also I'll probably go out on a limb and say you're over-exaggerating, regardless especially in comparison to some other things out there.

FFVI on Steam why

Did you mean one of the laziest Steam versions? Because the original PC port took a dedicated team at Eidos, and this is pretty much that.

edit: Also I'll probably go out on a limb and say you're over-exaggerating, regardless especially in comparison to some other things out there.

FFVI on Steam why

It's as lazy as a port as Dark Souls!
I did forget that Eidos did do original port, but there are a few shortcomings that should have been extremely easy to fix when bringing it to digital river Steam (like button prompts being [Button 0], music being midi, some really old crashes). Like Dark Souls, it's not unplayable by any means but lacks basic features that are expected of modern PC games which modders put in later given the community is willing/able. The original comment was me being impressed with how little work Square needed to do to sell that many copies.

You guys gonna get the PS4 Neo for XV and VII-R?

I'm personally glad I held out till this was announced. Didn't expect it to be a significant boost to the GPU though. Glad XV's required to take advantage of it via patch.

flyover

I know the answer is probably no, but has there been any word on a patch for the music looping bug in the PS4 version of FFVII? (Apparently, every time you finish a battle, the overworld theme starts over from the beginning.)

I'm getting a hankering to play it again, but it'd be nice if that got fixed, first.

neoemonk

I just finished the platinum in FFXIII.

What were the developers thinking with some of those trophies?

What was I thinking by getting them all?

So many dead turtles.

iosefe

Went in search of a copy of FF Tactics A2. I had played a friend's copy years ago, but didn't get much time. Overall though, it feels right. Good expansion on the original tactics advance, and makes me sad that there have been no Tactics games at all since then.

Be it original or Advance, it isn't a forgotten series, what with Ramza being in Dissidia.

Also that Ivalice Alliance. 3 releases and then nothing. Should have been the perfect segue into a sequel to the Original Tactics with the WotL release giving it new life.

Coincidentally, I just found out that copies are available new on Amazon again, along with some other DS classics

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acs...0|B00184219U|B001E27DLM|B00136MBHA&pldnSite=1

Limited time

neoemonk

Went in search of a copy of FF Tactics A2. I had played a friend's copy years ago, but didn't get much time. Overall though, it feels right. Good expansion on the original tactics advance, and makes me sad that there have been no Tactics games at all since then.

Be it original or Advance, it isn't a forgotten series, what with Ramza being in Dissidia.

Also that Ivalice Alliance. 3 releases and then nothing. Should have been the perfect segue into a sequel to the Original Tactics with the WotL release giving it new life.

Coincidentally, I just found out that copies are available new on Amazon again, along with some other DS classics

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acs...0|B00184219U|B001E27DLM|B00136MBHA&pldnSite=1

Limited time

I played a lot of Tactics and Tactics Advance but skipped A2 for some reason. Something about it turned me off but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Also I always think of this when someone brings up Tactics Advance:

Marcheisadick.PNG

Crystal Defenders is the follow-up to A2 I guess...but reading the Android reviews indicates that there are pretty severe issues with screen scaling. Too bad, I'd consider picking it up but those reviews are scaring me off.

neoemonk

By the end of the year I want to have the platinum for every Final Fantasy game on PS3/4, other than 14. Of course I don't know if I'll be able to do 15 in three months, but I think I can knock out the rest of them in that time frame.

I played a lot of Tactics and Tactics Advance but skipped A2 for some reason. Something about it turned me off but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Also I always think of this when someone brings up Tactics Advance:

Crystal Defenders is the follow-up to A2 I guess...but reading the Android reviews indicates that there are pretty severe issues with screen scaling. Too bad, I'd consider picking it up but those reviews are scaring me off.

Crystal Defenders looks fine on PSN.

Top Bottom