• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitts

I'll take a remaster of XII. I really enjoyed what I played but, admittedly, never finished it due to hardware problems.

It isn't just about graphics. A remake could also add a story to the game.

FFXII is simply not as story driven as the others. You pretty much get your heroes and villains and it ships you off on the journey. The major emphasis is on the journey, exploration and gameplay. I did think the story peckered out a bit too much near the end, but at least the dialogue and voice acting was really good. The number of other jrpg's I could say that about clock in at somewhere around zero.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It isn't just about graphics. A remake could also add a story to the game.
Sick burn.

There was a bit of a missing story, but it was mostly just something missing toward end of the second act. I always thought the Arcadia/Draclau Labratory sequence was intended to be more than an anemic dungeon. Pretty sure the departure of Matsuno signals that they had to cut scope to the game to finish it.

I Ioved the ending of the game actually.

Crosseyes

Banned
I bet its much closer to a remaster than anything. But a remaster of the Zodiac edition would pretty much be like a full remake to me anyway.

Plus I dont expect a composer to know the difference between remake and remaster when speaking so I wouldnt put much into the exact wording of it.

Wagram

Square-Enix is a big company, but how the shit do they have the manpower or even money to fund so many projects at once?

Vayne Carudas Solidor
Still one of the best and most complex villains in any Final fantasy game. Sephiroth was a rediculous mustache twirling, cartoon bad guy in comparison.
tumblr_mbpkqvZo6h1r0i38jo7_r1_1280.png

Square-Enix is a big company, but how the shit do they have the manpower or even money to fund so many projects at once?

Well, you have a big team working on FFVII and KH3, a couple of guys messing with rocks in Duscae... I can see a remaster being worked into that. Not to mention that some of these things are probably a ways off. Remember how long it took the FFX remaster to hit after it was announced? I remember it being several years.

OMG!

My fav FF finally get the HD treatment. I hope its available for multi plat as every gamer deserve to play this awesomeness. Zodiac version option please (Have not play it yet).

Famassu

Also since it's just a remaster, I don't think they'd want to put the effort into fully orchestrating the soundtrack... nor do I think they should. It's simply not a big enough deal. Now with FFVII that's a bit different as they'll want to really update the music, but who knows what direction they'll go with that.

Basically since it's just a remaster all they really need to do is up the music quality, not re-record the entire shebang with live instruments. That would honestly probably be a bigger undertaking than remastering the game lol
IIRC Falk said that oftentimes they might do it so that they do have live instruments, but not a big, full orchestra and then they'll add sounds with a computer to give it the fuller sound of a bigger orchestra. Like they'll hire a few violinists & other string instruments to record something and then do some magic on a PC that will make it sound like they have a full violin/string section. That way they get something that is closer to the sound of a live orchestra than something done fully on a PC without having to pay for a full orchestra. Or something like that.

crinale

Well they usually outsource the HD remaster so they don't have to worry about it. The budget? well thanks to mobile-gaming boom. Ironic isn't it?

Are we sure this is not just somebody confusing their Roman numerals????

In any case an FFXII remake needs to be Matsuno's original vision of the game before politics pushed it in a different direction so I'd pray he is on board

aadiboy

Omg yes! There's only a few things I ask of you, SE:

1. Please don't fuck up the faces, they look fine as they do right now!

2. If you're going to redo the soundtrack, include an option to listen to the originals, just like FFXHD on PS4.

3. If it's possible, uncompress the audio!

monster hunting and the gambit collecting was about the best thing to come out of FFXII. The story though was trash. Characters were mostly forgettable besides a few, like the villian.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well, you have a big team working on FFVII and KH3, a couple of guys messing with rocks in Duscae... I can see a remaster being worked into that. Not to mention that some of these things are probably a ways off.
Remasters can also be handled out of house, I'd imagine.

Saying Sephiroth was the villain shows how much you didn't understand FF7 ;)
Can't Sith... That evil bastard >;)

tuxfool

Banned
FFXII is simply not as story driven as the others. You pretty much get your heroes and villains and it ships you off on the journey. The major emphasis is on the journey, exploration and gameplay. I did think the story peckered out a bit too much near the end, but at least the dialogue and voice acting was really good. The number of other jrpg's I could say that about clock in at somewhere around zero.

The story was changed due to development issues. But this is the only game after 6 where the characterization was impeccable and stands the test of time. The acting and translation is something not seen the like ever again in a JRPG.

IIRC Falk said that oftentimes they might do it so that they do have live instruments, but not a big, full orchestra and then they'll add sounds with a computer to give it the fuller sound of a bigger orchestra. That way they get something that is closer to the sound of a live orchestra than something done fully on a PC without having to pay for a full orchestra. Or something like that.

Yeah that's one method. Most game soundtracks with live instruments tend to still have digital stuff, like Mario Galaxy for example.

KiTA

Did Square Enix PR people rush the stage?

Is this Square Enix's new PR move? "Accidentally" announce shit?

DQ7/8 localization
DQXI NX
FFXIIR

All announced in the past month or so, all "accidentally" announced by people in the know and then backtracked by Square Enix JP.

watershed

Banned
Vayne Carudas Solidor
Still one of the best and most complex villains in any Final fantasy game. Sephiroth was a rediculous mustache twirling, cartoon bad guy in comparison.
He looked super dumb toward the end when he went all muscley. Iirc his story had interesting bits but he mostly just sat around and gave orders. I love FFXII but found Vayne to be unremarkable and not very memorable.

Great to see the love for XII. I'm not sure my 'fave' FF but XII are basically right alongside VI and VII, and FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre, as my favorite games of any genre or platform. XII at the least is by far my favorite standard FF to replay... think I've replayed it 7 or 8 times now. The big two reasons are that the Licenses and Gambits allow the player a lot of personalization and 'flavour' management, things like... a pure Gunner run or, say, having a Gambit for Balthier where he uses a Handercheif to clean Oil.

The other reason is the acting.... While I'm not a fan of the story or plot, especially the latter half, I adore the cutscene acting -- namely the Elizebethan dialect and the great facial animations. While FF Tactics is a bit too heavy, FF XII has a perfect level of ornate dialect, and some rather brilliant subtle or sarcastic wit -- namely Judge Ghis, Marquis Ondore, and Balthier.

No matter how many times I seem to play the game, I don't tire of the facial and voice acting. Combine with fun 'macro battlefield manage' combat, the personalization of Gambits and Licenses, the great environment areas, it's probably the only standard FF (or non D&D-inspired RPG) that I replay as much as D&D-inspired RPGs Icewind Dale or tactics RPGs like Tactics Ogre.

I've been waiting for them to announce this! XII is my favorite FF, day one PS4. I have a steelbook edition of the original, I hope they do one for this too. :D

The story was changed due to development issues. But this is the only game after 6 where the characterization was impeccable and stands the test of time. The acting and translation is something not seen the like ever again in a JRPG.

I'd love to see the original story brought to full fruition, sure. But man that'd take a lot more work.

Unless they Xenogears disc 2'd it

I don't know all the differences, but you can read them up here. Espers can be controlled and you can assign gambits to them, too. I also remembered a self-casted Reverse spell lasts way longer in the Zodiac version.

Wish that was more in depth because it doesn't answer my concerns about the loot. I also checked out the jobs for that version and it looks they should definitely be changed. Why does a time mage use Crossbows? The crossbows should go to the archer and not to mention crossbows were pretty shitty anyway in the original. Red mages use maces and arcane magic???

Firstly, red mages should use sword and shields and arcane magic should be for a Dark Knight. Ulhan looks like a random mix of a dragoon, black mage, dark knight, and some techniques thrown in, actually most of the jobs seem to have some random abilities thrown in there. The jobs definitely should have been modeled after previous ones in the series and should definitely have more than 12. The vanilla version of XII seemed more free in that sense. I made white mages, berserkers, thieves, ninjas, sages, and a summoner (though due to the game, my summoner was shit). If they're remastering or remaking the zodiac version, change those jobs and add more.

jb1234

I'm hoping too, but looking at what brandonh83 said, it's seems unlikely.I'm hoping Square puts real effort into this remake, it's best game they've made in the last 20 years

It's hard to say. They gave Kingdom Hearts 2 HD the full orchestral treatment. It depends on how much money they're willing to spend.

M.Steiner

I'm guessing it's just a HD remaster rather than a remake but I'd be totally happy with that. Loved 12 and had been hoping we'd get one of those since they released X/X-2 HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom