• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am totally on board with this. I've still got my steel book case, so I'm putting that to good use come release day.

Definitely wasn't expecting this at all. This came out of nowhere, right?

BriGuy

I would actually love to take another crack at FFXII. I got about half way through it before I got discouraged by fickle treasure chests and knots of rust and quit, but I hear the updated Zodiac version addressed a lot of these issues. Fix Vaan's carapace chest and you've got yourself a deal.

Rootbeer

Banned
XII is tightly bound with VI as my favorites in the series. I do hope this is not some kind of mistake or understanding...

Please give us a XII remake and more information about it soon!

Zetta

Hell yes if this ends up being true. After that all I would need is a HD of Xenogears and a new Wild Arms and I'm set.

jb1234

The whole soundtrack was orchestrated, sakimoto just used high quality samples.I was saying they could use an actual orchestra this time, it'd only be a quality boost.

And one hell of one. Sakimoto's samples may be high quality but they're still samples. This music is crying out for a full orchestra and I hope they give it one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I am totally on board with this. I've still got my steel book case, so I'm putting that to good use come release day.

Definitely wasn't expecting this at all. This came out of nowhere, right?

I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother was expecting a 12 remaster any day. So we cant really say it came out of nowhere. Nice to hear it confirmed though.

I consider myself an FF fan and this is the only main series entry I've never actually played. This announcement is exactly what I've been waiting for.

This, FF8, and FFX are my favorites in the series, so I hope this is true. I still have my steelbook copy, but I let someone borrow my PS2. I still need to finish this amazing game.

doemaaan

Finally, some confirmation on this. I REALLY hope it's not a simple NA remaster. I wanna try out the zodiac system. And while I'm at it, I hope it IS more of a remake than a remaster. I want seamless environments this time (for each big area), instead of segmented maps. So many things can be improved.

Camera options, don't fick this up squeenix. Doesn't matter how beautiful the game will look...I won't play if i can invert that damn camera.

Nottle

How is the Zodiac job system compared to the vanilla game? I sort of thought XII was bland in areas, but could see better systems adding a bit to the game.

Famassu

So a 10th anniversary release, like I always assumed it would be.

On the other hand, this remake situation is getting fucking ridiculous.
This sentiment is always so silly. What's so "fucking ridiculous" about it? Square Enix's Japanese side is in the process of developing & publishing, like, 15 completely new JRPGs vs. FFXII HD (and FFVII Remake, but that will seemingly be such a massive re-imagining of the original game that it'll basically be like a new game). That's hardly ridiculous, considering most other publishers are in a similar situation (plenty of sequels & new IPs and maybe 1-2 upcoming remasters, if they are doing any at all).

PleasebeInternationalZodiacJobVersionPleasebeInternationalZodiacJobVersion
SQEX always releases the most content-filled versions in cases like this. Most recently, FFX, X-2 and all the Kingdom Hearts remasters have been the previously Japanese only International/Final Mix releases, no reason to doubt they'd do anything different with FFXII's remaster.

Fuck yes, fuck yes.

Ps4 I'm assuming?
Of course, probably PS3 & Vita too (if they can cram the game onto Vita).

XII is tightly bound with VI as my favorites in the series. I do hope this is not some kind of mistake or understanding...

Please give us a XII remake and more information about it soon!

Same for me, 6 and 12 as tops. I don't need a remake of 6 or anything (the sprites hold up graphically for me) but I'm willing to spend another 100 hours in an HDified 12.

Finally, some confirmation on this. I REALLY hope it's not a simple NA remaster. I wanna try out the zodiac system. And while I'm at it, I hope it IS more of a remake than a remaster. I want seamless environments this time (for each big area), instead of segmented maps. So many things can be improved.

Based on precedent, the Zodiac edition is more likely going to be remastered.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I think they would not bother. The game world was already decently large for PS2 outside of GTA level open world games at the time especially for final fantasy standards.

The assets themselves hold up decently well, the CG still phenomenal. There could be a lot of sprucing up in certain areas visuals wise but the game hasn't aged that much to warrant such changes.

Maybe if the areas are sufficiently connected they could go for seamless? Not sure how it would be done with disconnected maps though. The loading times will be super fast regardless.

Considering the source, are we sure this isn't just a remastered version of the OST?

oGDjUlp.gif

Sifl

Remake? The game is already perfect.
Ok maybe not.
I know people are critical of the combat, but I actually enjoyed it and the gambit system. Whatever they change I hope the combat doesn't change too much.
It will.

Soltype

Yeah but this is the case for many game soundtracks. Doing a full orchestra for that quantity of music is very difficult. With film scores composers write a few hours worth of music if that, usually between 70 and 90 minutes (or more, depending on the film) but game soundtracks are just ridiculously massive-- well, I should say RPG soundtracks. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is something of a huge undertaking.
Yeah it would be a lot of work, when you lay it out like that it seems improbable now.

And one hell of one. Sakimoto's samples may be high quality but they're still samples. This music is crying out for a full orchestra and I hope they give it one.

I'm hoping too, but looking at what brandonh83 said, it's seems unlikely.I'm hoping Square puts real effort into this remake, it's best game they've made in the last 20 years

I wasn't particularly fond of the game myself, but if it includes the International version stuff, then I'm in. Preferably it will also get rid of some of the sillier things like the treasure chest "traps".

I want a Balthier spin-off, though. Ho hum.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, if they do a good job (meaning, not shitting up the character models or the music), I'm in. I absolutely love XII.

Yeah it would be a lot of work, when you lay it out like that it seems improbable now.

Also since it's just a remaster, I don't think they'd want to put the effort into fully orchestrating the soundtrack... nor do I think they should. It's simply not a big enough deal. Now with FFVII that's a bit different as they'll want to really update the music, but who knows what direction they'll go with that.

Basically since it's just a remaster all they really need to do is up the music quality, not re-record the entire shebang with live instruments. That would honestly probably be a bigger undertaking than remastering the game lol

DNAbro

Remake? The game is already perfect.
Ok maybe not.
I know people are critical of the combat, but I actually enjoyed it and the gambit system. Whatever they change I hope the combat doesn't change too much.
It will.

they didn't change anything for X HD did they? why would they change here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom