• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions coming to iOS on 8/31 [Update: $30]

Why is everyone crying about the price at 20+ dollars? Isn't this basically a full final fantasy game and not a bunch of minigames like angry birds? Even at $30 dollar, it would still be at least $10 cheaper than a vita/3ds cart version. I agree with the others that small cheap mobile games are killing the industry.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a full final fantasy game. Or FF VII. Or FF III. And they're not 30$ in any device.

Also, the game can be very long, but the graphics are crap. Not "it's 2D old-school sprites" crap, it's amateur devianart graphics used as RPGMakers sprite crap. The graphics are bland and lack personality or detail. The scenarios are empty, repetitive and rushed. The characters seems to be done by an amateurish artist getting the 8bits sprites, scaling them and applying tons of blend filters.

Seems a low effort of a few guys of the iPhone port division done with the "generic Square 2D level editor" that they use for the FF 2D remakes. And, if we have to consider the previous original games that Square made for iPhone, it will be an expensive grindfest of random encounters with a few scenes each half an hour of grind.

Probably they will recover all the cost that they spent on this game within the first 1000 sales.

So wait you've played the game?

Sorry, the scenarios that they shown on the screenshots, that they use to promote the game so we have to assume that they are at least the average graphical quality (if not the best ones, no one do screenshots of the worst and most uninspired graphics of a game to promote it) of the full game, are empty, repetitive and rushed.

Better?

Goli

The game looks cheap and using The After Years as an example, the actual gameplay will probably be just as crummy as the visuals. It's going to be a cheaply made game, which is probably why it's a mobile/iOS exclusive thing. There's no quality checks or anything to go through. If they had talented people working on the game and believed in its quality, they would be looking for more traditional outlets. They're not trailblazing here either, because there's nothing seemingly noteworthy about the game.

I think you're being really unfair here, plenty of talented people worked on FFD, whether this port was handled by the same original dev team I don't know, but even if they didn't that doesn't mean those who did work on this have no talent, I mean, I really don't think anyone who makes something like a game or a movie or whatever would like for it to be shown in an incomplete or not as adequate state but sometimes they just have to due to time and/or budget concerns.
Besides, you can tell a looooot more effort went into this than TAY. For starters the game has a whole new soundtrack made for it, it also doesn't re-use locations or monster sprites from other games... unlike TAY. I could go on but you get my point.

Then again it could end up being a POS port from a crappy game that feels like a stupid romhack of some old FF game (which is in some ways what TAY was), but we won't know till next Friday, so I think we all shouldn't really judge it so harshly... specially since pretty much nobody here has played even a bit of it.

tenchir

Final Fantasy Tactics is a full final fantasy game. Or FF VII. Or FF III. And they're not 30$ in any device.

Also, the game can be very long, but the graphics are crap. Not "it's 2D old-school sprites" crap, it's amateur devianart graphics used as RPGMakers sprite crap. The graphics are bland and lack personality or detail. The scenarios are empty, repetitive and rushed. The characters seems to be done by an amateurish artist getting the 8bits sprites, scaling them and applying tons of blend filters.

Seems a low effort of a few guys of the iPhone port division done with the "generic Square 2D level editor" that they use for the FF 2D remakes. And, if we have to consider the previous original games that Square made for iPhone, it will be an expensive grindfest of random encounters with a few scenes each half an hour of grind.

Probably they will recover all the cost that they spent on this game within the first 1000 sales.

FFT was developed for the PSX. Then it was ported to PSP and PSN later after 4-5 years. Then it was ported to the iOS, same with the other FF games. They were never made for the iOS/Android platform in the first place, so that argument is moot.

You argument about this game being crap is probably only true if it was on a platform(3DS/PSN/Vita) other than the mobile platform. Besides you haven't played the game yet, so you don't even know how the gameplay, story, music goes.

Aeana

This game is not an original iPhone game, it is a port of a game for feature phones that was produced by Takashi Tokita. It's essentially made by the same people who made The After Years. I'm not saying it's going to be a high quality product, but I think you're selling it a bit short by claiming it's a low effort of people in the "iPhone port division."

I think you're being really unfair here, plenty of talented people worked on FFD, whether this port was handled by the same original dev team I don't know, but even if they didn't that doesn't mean those who did work on this have no talent, I mean, I really don't think anyone who makes something like a game or a movie or whatever would like for it to be shown in an incomplete or not as adequate state but sometimes they just have to due to time and/or budget concerns.
Besides, you can tell a looooot more effort went into this than TAY. For starters the game has a whole new soundtrack made for it, it also doesn't re-use locations or monster sprites from other games... unlike TAY. I could go on but you get my point.

Then again it could end up being a POS port from a crappy game that feels like a stupid romhack of some old FF game (which is in some ways what TAY was), but we won't know till next Friday, so I think we all shouldn't really judge it so harshly... specially since pretty much nobody here has played even a bit of it.
I don't think I'm being unfair, using The After Years as a basis for the speculation. But I am always open to be surprised. If somebody buys this and says it's genuinely amazing, I will give it a shot and judge it fairly. But from what we know and see right now, it's not far fetched to make an assumption on what this game will probably be.

Also, there are lots of people in creative fields who do contract work with no love or care for their art or product.

The game looks cheap and using The After Years as an example, the actual gameplay will probably be just as crummy as the visuals. It's going to be a cheaply made game, which is probably why it's a mobile/iOS exclusive thing. There's no quality checks or anything to go through. If they had talented people working on the game and believed in its quality, they would be looking for more traditional outlets. They're not trailblazing here either, because there's nothing seemingly noteworthy about the game.

IIRC part of the FFV team is behind this one.

This game is not an original iPhone game, it is a port of a game for feature phones that was produced by Takashi Tokita. It's essentially made by the same people who made The After Years. I'm not saying it's going to be a high quality product, but I think you're selling it a bit short by claiming it's a low effort of people in the "iPhone port division."

Yes, I know. I'm talking about the port. I'll talk later about the original game.

If you check the graphics of the original game, you'll see that the port is lazy. If you make a port of a game that can work in any low device mobile phone with 240x320 resolution launched in the last 10 years, and you pass it to a machine much more powerful without giving any added value. Stretching the graphics amateurlish. Not creating better assets. Tons of companies have mobile phone divisions and iPhone divisions, and nearly all of them make different versions from scratch to get sure that the game is as good as possible on each device. And even the ones that don't do it, like KairoSoft, don't try to price their game at 30$.

008.jpg

final-fantasy-dimensions-6ab.jpg

Also, the original game, if we check The After Years, is a nice complement (but nowhere close to the main FF IV) for a package, but it would be also expensive as 30$ game.

A game of similar quality than After Years (not even created for the device, a crappy port of a mobile game) at 30$, when there are tons of great RPG cheaper, and also any FF remake of the main series is much cheaper, is go too much greedy. For 30$, the game should have been done from scratch, with crisp graphics, beautiful pixel art, extra features and much more content. And that could make the game simply "expensive for the platform", instead of a joke.

I don't think this would sell well at $30 if it was a eShop or PSN game, much less an iOS game whose audience is much more intolerant of paying anything about $5.

BTW, they don't seems to know yet how iOS works.

If they made a "lite" version and then a payed one, the lite could have bad reviews but the full game would have been bought by the believers (only who buy the game can make a review) and it would keep a high score ranking.

With a free app with in-app-purchase chapters, the game will have awful reviews of the people that will get the prologue but they will complain about the price. Also, in-app-purchase system is not so transparent in order to make sales, and this game won't move too many copies without a good sale.

Even FF1 or FF2 have very bad reviews because of the price, and they're priced much lower.

Silvawuff

I'm going to backpeddle. It doesn't look like a $30 game to me, so I'm out on this as well.

Sorry SE, I want to give you my money, but you make it so hard to do!

I'm also paying for the game of GTA 3. What would make that undervalued and this appropriately valued? Use value and exchange value aren't the same thing.

GTAIII had made back its initial development costs subsidized many, many, many, many times over in the past decade.

Top Bottom