• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Quick question on magicite, do you have to use the esper in order to get the defensive benefits from the sub magicites? Such as Dampen Blizzard won't be active until you use your magicite etc?

You get the passive bonuses whether the esper is actually summoned or not. I had been wondering the same thing until I saw this answered on Reddit.

Kain

Holy shit this Torment, easiest ever thanks to Squall. Also fully dived Ysh is scary, she was double healing with her command 2 for 2x2.5k (and Selphie's BSB)

WarAdept

The Wyrm Turns Part 1 CM (Torment)

Squall - Sub Zero Blast
Laguna - Freezing Barrage
Seifer - Bloodfest / Zantetsuken Reverse
Irvine - N/A
Selphie - Dreamstage

RW: Hyper Mighty G

I have some decent stuff for VIII, so this CM was no issue. Seifer bolstered the party's defence/resistance even further and I was in no danger at all.

Mistakenly thought that Fire Resist would be of premium use for this fight.

Use IKO resist instead (as I learnt this like 10 runs into speed farming it on JS much later...)

VporqiFl.jpg
uB4wHFXl.png
x4TWfZKl.png

The Wyrm Turns Part 3 CM (Torment)

Squall - Sub Zero Blast
Laguna - Freezing Barrage
Steiner - Imbued Blade
Ramza - Shout
Selphie - Dreamstage

RW: Hyper Mighty G

Slightly switched it up to have native Shout and another Ice OSB for D300. Got a bit dicey at the end, again because I was taking Meteors and other HP percentage attacks to the face when they could've all been avoided with IKO accessories.

zwgxViul.jpg
EGiDtytl.jpg
Ft7M935l.png

Kain

My favorite is Tetragrammaton healing for 8000+ HP a pop, more than most characters' max.

She was doing 9999 lol

At first I was afraid the second heal would go to the same char, but no, it's smart heal like the usual ones. I did Vanille too with the new batch of spirit motes, I'm more than covered on the healer front.

WarAdept

I should have brought Seifer for buffs instead of Quistis and her dead-weight poison BSB. For some reason I just never think of him, even though I have most (possibly all?) of his relics.

Ever since mote Ifrit, Seifer has been my secret MVP of all VIII CMs due to being a tank and those 2 SBs.

Wish I had more stuff for him.

ultra7k

Gah, finally took down all 6 magicites.

Golem was the last one I did and by far the hardest.

All my Wind SBs are physical aside from Alphinaud, so I ended up turtling with Tyro using Ninja magic (all his hits were capping), Alphinaud spamming CMD 1 and Deployment tactics along with Ramza USB and Raines (again) BSB for the MAG buff. Required triple MAG stacking again with Raines as off heals and Rosa on main heal duties with her SSB.

Got real close to the end when Titan did his AOE attack and wiped 4 members of the party. Tyro ended it with a clutch cast of Gust that hit for 9999.

That being said all the Magicite fights were mastered...now it's time to farm I guess.

Remember rebirth dungeons? You've got about 27 hours to finish them off. Just got Kuja left now (which I hear bad things about, my wall-less self worries a bit). It felt like with Garuda I had it at less than half health before I had finished setting up my dps in Luneth and magicite actually helped me against the Anavatapta Warmech (Bismark attacking broke the Omnegator which was cute to see).

That got me thinking, can magicite trigger counters or are all their moves flagged not to? (like summon magic)

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
You can even choose not to equip a main magicite (I suppose it is like not bringing a roaming warrior) but still have the sub ones equipped.

Holy shit this Torment, easiest ever thanks to Squall. Also fully dived Ysh is scary, she was double healing with her command 2 for 2x2.5k (and Selphie's BSB)
As someone who found Yshtola's medica command to not always be strong enough (maybe I'm too used to Vanille who gets a MND buff) these are reassuring words to hear. Still as far as While/Black mages go I have a few candidates for full diving. Trance modes (Vivi, Terra), diet trance mode (Shan), double heals (Yshtola, Vanille)

friz898

Gah, finally took down all 6 magicites.

Golem was the last one I did and by far the hardest.

All my Wind SBs are physical aside from Alphinaud, so I ended up turtling with Tyro using Ninja magic (all his hits were capping), Alphinaud spamming CMD 1 and Deployment tactics along with Ramza USB and Raines (again) BSB for the MAG buff. Required triple MAG stacking again with Raines as off heals and Rosa on main heal duties with her SSB.

Got real close to the end when Titan did his AOE attack and wiped 4 members of the party. Tyro ended it with a clutch cast of Gust that hit for 9999.

That being said all the Magicite fights were mastered...now it's time to farm I guess.

I feel like B-Tier at the moment, but after about 10 more attempts at Fenrir, and different mixups of chars, even with each time being 1%-5%, I decided I wanted to see some progress for my time today. So went and beat Bismarck again, I should be able to do Flame soon since my Water Magicite are getting pretty high.

Then I guess I'll either take down Flame who I was close on before, or go farm Sealion for Fenrir some more.

I wanted to keep up!

This is the first time I've pretty much been on the same level as the regulars here when new content comes out. I mean, we get new stuff all the time, but the last big thing was Nightmare, Intro Torments, and Intro Motes, and all of those I did several months after the regulars.

Edit: In other news, I got to take Curada to rank 2 today, and I wasnt paying attention to Leaping Rush, but it was ready to go to Rank 2. Hopefully not a skill I shatter in 4-6 months

friz898

Would have had Fenrir under a minute but he blinked my Snow BSB at 59 seconds, so I just got a clear instead. I'll get him tomorrow.

on one of my Fenrir tries, I had him at 1 or 2% and Vaan BSB was hitting for 45-66k, with Ramza and Alphi buffs, and I had one fired up and it was going to be a win....! .....then he blinked it, and savage-winds'ed me 3 times.

Course I knew I had him then! Only lost like 3 more times before had to go do real life stuff.

Keym

Agrias and Ramza fully dived for team Tactics. Agrias is a beast, it's a shame her imperil BSB only hits four times. I'm also 10 bravery motes away from Tidus' last node and it hurts.

Balphon

Took six kills but I finally got that stupid Mom Bomb from Liquid Flame. Now I only need three more!

Should be able to use my next few tokens on Sealion at least. Liquid Flame sucks to fight. Lots of randomness.

Who is everyone LDing?

Lightning
Vaan
Vanille

Next should be a mage. Have to decide between Vincent and Shantotto, have enough for both. Probably Vincent since he's my only good fire character and he can actually function as a hybrid when needed.

ultra7k

My Completed LDs

Lightning
Ashe
Tyro
Bartz (in anticipation of Thursdays banner...I jumped the gun a while ago, might be a foolish mistake - currently only have unique and SSB SBs for Bartz.)

Partially Completed
Celes (only have indomitable blade, but it's proved useful enough)

Will decide who to fully dive after a few events.

Kenai

Finally got one down. Whew.

Being so tired actually worked in my favor cause I forgot to refresh whatshername's buff for a good 15 seconds so when he got spam happy it did a lot less dmg. I think SS/Wall might actually be underrated here.

It might have been easier to just bring #TeamHoly and stack dat Holy Weakness since it didn't seem resistant to Holy when I thought it was (Relm BSB dmg was neutral anyway) but I was pretty determined after I got it to 40% first try. Took a dozen or so S/Ls

Edit: I am dumb and never noticed Relm's dmg was part non ele, this was the right way to do things.

Who is everyone LDing?

I haven't fully dove anyone yet but my first ones to finish will probably be Beatrix and Cid Raines. Luneth, Relm, Yshtola, Gladious and Maria are also contenders.

Finally beat Fenrir and with that I have beat all 6 magicite dungeons. I still need to go and Master Bismarck but other than that I can start farming. I originally tried a double entrust team with Squalls OSB but without and en-ice SB the OSB damage wasn't getting it done. I decided on a non-elemental team and beat him in about 1 min 20 s.

Alphinaud SSB
Zidane BSB2
Ramza Shout/USB
Vaan BSB
Eiko BSB

Right now my only LDs are Ramza and Zidane. I have motes ready for when I attempt to pull Bartz's relics.

Xetherion

My LD so far:

Tyro
Celes
Zidane
Raines

If i had 5 more BRV motes I could LD Beatrix or Agrias. Beatrix has the dualcast LM2 so i'll probably go with her.

I'll probably just save my motes for now though, hoping to get a good DPS USB from the upcoming banners. If I somehow miss all of them then I'll make sure to keep enough motes for Master Monk since he can do big DPS with just his LD and ability spam.

Sealion complete (but not mastered)! Okay, I got Wendigo (3*), Sealion (3*), Snowman and Gnoll (1*).

Okay, I take back my earlier frustrations: this is fun. It's like this basically reinvigorated my interest in the game.

So, questions:

1/ The stats of the magicite themselves aren't very much, but I understand I get a 1% passive application to my party.

2/ Buuuut... Sealion has Dampen Blizzard (Lvl 3). Does that honestly mean that I get a flat, party-specific passive against ice damage both inside AND outside the magicite dungeons?

I guess I should take my ice magicite and try to tackle Fenrir now?

Kenai

Sealion complete (but not mastered)! Okay, I got Wendigo (3*), Sealion (3*), Snowman and Gnoll (1*).

Okay, I take back my earlier frustrations: this is fun. It's like this basically reinvigorated my interest in the game.

So, questions:

1/ The stats of the magicite themselves aren't very much, but I understand I get a 1% passive application to my party.

2/ Buuuut... Sealion has Dampen Blizzard (Lvl 3). Does that honestly mean that I get a flat, party-specific passive against ice damage both inside AND outside the magicite dungeons?

I guess I should take my ice magicite and try to tackle Fenrir now?

Can' answer much specifically but I started messing around with Hydra just now and iy has a summon meter right next to the RW friend summon. I used it and it "summoned" and gave AoE Lightning weakness to the boss. Also it occasionally "auto attacks" out of nowhere.

I don't really get it but it's amusing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Who is everyone LDing?

Mine so far:

Zidane
Vivi
Steiner (because all 3 can Trance and it's awesome)
Cloud

Luneth
Lightning
Agrias

I don't care if they're shit for actual hard content, having things take half as long with L&L in the party basically 1shotting everything on auto before anyone else can move is a godsend QoL that will actually get me farming shit with my stamina instead of letting it rot.

Agrias has BSB/OSB. Only character I have with a combo because I'm Falk.

edit: I did definitely miss a few event's worth of Jumpstarts for motes. Will forever be behind due to the nature of the game but hey, Rebirth dungeons were a motherlode.

:'(

Balphon

So, questions:

The equipped magicites' stats are used as the basis to calculate the bonus provided by the various stat bonus passives granted by the magicites.

The basic description of the formula is that the level of the stat bonus passive represents the % value of the buff (i.e. Attack Boon Lv 5 = 5% ATK buff). The value is applied agains the sum of the main magicite's value for that stat plus half the value of each individual sub magicite, rounded down. The resulting bonus is applied after all other stat boosts in combat (e.g. Shout) are calculated.

Yes, Dampen Blizzard Lv 3 is -3% ice damage in any fight as long as that magicite is equipped in one of the five slots.

Note that in all cases identical passives will stack with each other, but with exponentially diminishing returns.

Falk

that puzzling face
So uh, if you had a conga line of e.g. maxed out Enkidus, that'd be 10 + 5 + 2.5 + 1.25 + 0.625 = ~19% wind damage increase?

Balphon

So uh, if you had a conga line of e.g. maxed out Enkidus, that'd be 10 + 5 + 2.5 + 1.25 + 0.625 = ~19% wind damage increase?

It gets rounded up to 20, but yes. 20% is functionally the maximum bonus for the magicite passives.

Likewise, the nature of the diminishing returns means that it generally won't be worth stacking more than 3 of the same passive. In your example 3 lv10 stacks results in an 18% buff versus 20% for 5 lv10 stacks.

Tidd

edit: I did definitely miss a few event's worth of Jumpstarts for motes. Will forever be behind due to the nature of the game but hey, Rebirth dungeons were a motherlode.

:'(

Old jumpstarts will return when a realm gets a new event.

Just took out golem with perhaps my favorite party yet led by...

Emperor and his bsb.

Talk about a character that has been forgotten to the dustbin if FFRK history, at least for me. Not since the ii torment cm has he seen the light of day and I've slowly been getting him to level 99, only level 95 now

Emperor bsb, flare, meltdown r2 wind+ hat, scholars boon rm
Onion bsb gust r4 raging storm r3 dr mog
Cid Raines bsb wrath mental breakdown ace striker 2 +dark equips, lol
Papylmo ley lines ssb curaja protecga mako might
Ysh bsb curada r2 wrath full legend dived thunder god
Fenrir Magicite

Wow, fun battle! 4x mag boost when emperor was in burst mode.

Thanks to this battle I've r3d meltdown, which will make it much easier next time. 180k damage? Yes please.

Xetherion

You know, i guess talking about progress was useful, because it got me thinking about how I could try the FFX Torment 3-man cm. Since i got Auron's enFire burst from the Newcomer Lucky Draw, I realized I could make a Fire team with:

Rikku: +atk/mag super (don't have her ultra sadly), mug power unique, multibreak, sapphire shot, +dmg rm
Tyro: ultra, wall, burst, armor and magic breakdown, gathering storm rm
Yuna: ultra, burst, protectga, ultra cure, dualcast summon rm
Galuf: burst, meteor crush, fires within, +dmg rm
Auron: burst, hailstorm, retaliate (unused), +dmg rm

RW: Cloud

It was actually really easy with this set up. Not as fast as my Holy team, but my Holy team is stupidly stacked so that's to be expected.

WarAdept

I'm actually surprised I'm the only one that has LD Cloud in this community.

Probably because it either requires a full time Entrust Bot with his BSB2 or investment in Omega Drive.

Its great that there has been a diverse selection of characters that everyone has LD.

Ok done with current content, mastered all magicite at least once and now the torments with cms.

LDs:
Cloud w osb/bsb1/bsb2
Lightning w USB/osb/bsb2/lmr
Vaan w USB/bsb
Ramza w USB/bsb/shout/chant
Raines w bsb/2 ssbs/ lmr
Yshtola w bsb/ssb/Ss2

That's a pretty generic set of characters completed, I'll admit.

No idea who I want next, ideal is obviously one anchor per element on melee and magic...

Magicite:
Bismarck 80
Bottomswell 65
Liquid fire 65
Golem 50
Fenrir 50
Hydra 50
Sea lion 50
Humbaba 50
Shell dragon 50
Taharka 50
Enkidu 50

So the goal is to level all of those and the missing ones to 99 at least once? At 9 magicite a week, that is a long term project particularly if I never bother with that kreeper program. 6x3x4=72. So 8 weeks, I guess that isn't that bad....

Kain

Fully LD, in order:

Squall
Zidane
Yshtola
Vanille

Next is Luneth and next will probably be Bartz.

I'm thinking on doing the last two Magicite (Hydra and Living Flame) with teams based around Squall's BSB2. Even if it doesn't hit weakness I've seen the thing triple cast and it's beautiful. And now with Vanille fully dived I don't have to worry about healing.

My LD:

Luneth - I have a killer wind party with Zach chain so with clouds USB, Luneth can destroy almost anything with ease. This makes it even faster.

Agrias - I have all her relics and use her all the time. She's beastly in the stat department after a full dive.

Refia - I just really like her BSB. Major punch power.

Terra - USB + OSB + LD + Entrust battery = everything burns.

Tyro - I have all his relics except his OSB, this helps a ton with actually using them. That and Tyro needs the stat buffs and I use him in nearly every party.

working on Ysh next.

MrDaravon

I've been so crazy at work (60 hour weeks generally) for a bit that I'm just barely keeping up with events and haven't even touched Magicite Dungeons yet :(. Hopefully this weekend I can really sit down and do that. I also probably need to ask for some help in who to LD as I haven't done anyone yet, I think I've only full regular dived a couple of folks as is due to being paralyzed by choice as well as not being sure who to dive lol.

Oh since we're talking LD. Started: Lightning. That is all. With that using up Dex/Vit motes and on the other side I have several spirit/wizdom choices (mentioned earlier) but no desire to do any until I can full dive. Doing torments at all and not being late to the party with jumpstarts would really help in fully diving here and in related news I hear now HnR is now more difficult (used to be if you flee while enemy is flashing in the loading you will see damage taken but not actually take it, that isn't the case anymore because the lag has been removed...which is really good in all other situations because it makes grinding low content faster).

Yes but it's not really flat as it multiplies with any elemental reduction you have from gear and the like rather than being added to that.

If you need more details here.

I've been so crazy at work (60 hour weeks generally) for a bit that I'm just barely keeping up with events and haven't even touched Magicite Dungeons yet :(. Hopefully this weekend I can really sit down and do that. I also probably need to ask for some help in who to LD as I haven't done anyone yet, I think I've only full regular dived a couple of folks as is due to being paralyzed by choice as well as not being sure who to dive lol.
As far as mote overlap goes it's a shame I can't find that diagram from reddit (see bottom) but basically there are 6 character types of LD and 5 motes. The 6 types each use 2 motes such that one mote is used by 4 character types but the other 4 motes are used by two types each. I'm not sure if the one mote that is used more (Bravery) has more motes handed out or not.

It's 100 5* motes (200 total) to fully LD a character but the first LM can be obtained with 36. Seeing as the second LM tends to be very good (double cast abilities, longer buff duration, haste+3x0CT) full dives are probably better.

Basically look at the dives and see which ones you like and which ones you have the budget for and lay out all your options and then ask for additional thoughts. As you can guess a lot of personal opinions will come into play (for Falk Luneth was 100% worth it).

As far as magicite go there are up to 9 keystones to grab per week (daily collection+cid mission) and monthly missions are coming which are going to reward mythril which could be used to stamina refresh here to fit a more hectic schedule.

Edit: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBUi34oVwAANFWV.jpg

friz898

Caught up on posts since last night and early this morning.

Finished Flame last night, currently 3/6. It was nice having Tidus CSB going and then a level 80 Bismarck summoned, was doing decent damage.

Advocatus, about beating your first Magicite. Glad you got it. Technically Fenrir WOULD be next, but just take note, he's one of the harder ones, he really puts out the DPS after 1min when generic wall wears off. I agree, this IS fun.

I say try it, but don't be surprised if it looks like you have it, and then about 25% left or after 1 min, you get demolished. That is unless you have level'ed your Ice Magicites a ton and/or have a great ice team.

If Fenrir (and anybody else) still seems a bit too hard, then with all your stones you are accumulated on a daily basis, go beat Sea Lion 2-3 more times. Since we get at least one daily, it's not really a waste.

Czarcasm

Finally beat the JS CM

TGCid | Full Charge R3 / Snowspell Strike R2 | OSB / BSB |Sword DMG+
Irvine | Full Break R3 / Power BD R3 | Canister Shot | Haste RM
Quistis | Magic BD R3 / Curaja R5 | Mighty Guard | Heal+ RM
Selphie | Curaga R5 / Protega R2 | Dreamstage | Heal Double Cast
Curilla | Magic Lure R3 / Armor BD R3 | Holy Circle | Gathering Storm

At first I tried another setup with Squall RWing his BSB2 with SB double cast, but it wasn't fast enough. Then I tried a magic setup and it was even worse. Later I saw a post suggesting to use the RW with TGCid, however at that point I had used up all of them for the day. I decided to do a test run to see how much damage TGCid would do with S3 when I saw Clouds USB on the list and I decided to give it a shot. After a few minor adjustments (TGCid used to run Blizzaga Strike R4 / S3 with SB Double cast) I finally won.

Luneth's dive sounds incredibly useful for dailies and trash even if you don't have relics for him.

Is it just me or is legend diving somebody just for dailies overkill? I have no issues just using a Shout or Hyper Mighty G RW and auto'ing through the dailies with whoever.

Hyped for Bartz and Faris later tonight! Hope RNG likes me today. :(

350 myth saved... Of course I'd love to have Bartz's USB/LMR but all I have for him is his OSB so even one of the BSBs would be a win. I'll also stop if I get Faris' USB. I need something left over for Rosa next week...

Negator

Fully dived:
Cloud
Yshtola

Hope to dive:
Bartz (plzzzz pull chicken knife)
Cid Raines
Agrias

Dont want to invest my motes in anyone unless they get a wombo combo relic setup

Xetherion

Is it just me or is legend diving somebody just for dailies overkill? I have no issues just using a Shout or Hyper Mighty G RW and auto'ing through the dailies with whoever.

350 myth saved... Of course I'd love to have Bartz's USB/LMR but all I have for him is his OSB so even one of the BSBs would be a win. I'll also stop if I get Faris' USB. I need something left over for Rosa next week...

It's not just you, i already auto trash easily with just the RM's that make Attack instacast, see no need for LD'ing people...

I also have over 300 myth saved, but i don't want to spend it all on Bartz. Need to save some for my ninja boyz Edge and Shadow, plus the fest coming up at the end of Sep.

friz898

I see we have a 30th anniversary relic selector pull deal.

I glanced over the list. What's opinions on goals here?

Think I should go for one in a realm I am lacking, like say WoL's, or another FF1 toon,
or in a realm that I have no medica?
or a certain element (for me, would be ice, water, earth)..for magicite dungeons
or just one that's all around awesome to have?
Or lastly, one for a character I already use all the time but don't have their burst -- for me Ramza (have Shout and USB)

Opinions? I guess it's only a few weeks away?

Edit:

I always just assume I'm the only one who doesn't read Reddit, but obviously that's stupid. Here's the list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...0th_anniversary_selection_draw_jp_relic_draw/

WarAdept

As good as Bartz' USB is, Edge/Rosa and Shadow are so so close.

Plus I need to save as much mithril as possible for the next IX event for Vivi's USB.

Top Bottom